New ranger skill to make us "special" in WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

•Mesmers have veil, portal, mass invis and time warp.
•Thieves have shadow refuge and the best burst.
•Ele’s can reflect siege damage and rain fire from the walls.
•Necro’s are the only ones who can help their team kill a buffed claimer.
•Warriors deal out the highest range damage while wearing heavy armor, or can be the ultimate damage sponge.
• Guards have the best group buffs and disruption

What do Ranger do special in WvW? Absolutely nothing. Everything we can do, others can do better.

Give us a new skill to make us the ultimate scouts. With the 25 man requirement for orange swords, scouting actually matters in WvW. You can replace any of our utterly broken and worthless skills (take your pick, we’ve got tons.)

3 ideas:
Commune with Nature:
Lay down a commune field with a 5 minute duration and no range limiation. Reactivate the skill to briefly portal back to that location as an invisible/incorporeal form of yourself for several seconds to see what is going on around that area before returning to your body. Should be fairly easy to program with existing Mesmer portal code.

Send a Scout Hawk:
Activate the skill and then click an area of the mini-map to send the hawk. Several seconds later that area will become “revealed” allowing you to see red dots of enemy players, green dots of allied players on the map even though it’s beyond the normal range which you’d be able to do so.

Hunker down:
Create a sticks/branches shelter similar to shadow refuge that up to 5 allies can “hide” in (go invis, gain invulnerability). They get knocked out if they cast or attack. Enemies can destroy the shelter if they target it. Should have about as much health as a catapult. This would be a really neat skill for group fights, as your wounded allies can attempt to retreat to the shelter to try to regain health. Also I can imagine two or three of these set up in a wooded area near a road, with your team hiding inside waiting for the enemy force to pass by. So cool!

Any other “unique” skill ideas for Rangers?

(edited by neverborne.4736)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

“Commune with Nature” sounds actually pretty awesome now that there are the 25 player swords. And I agree totally the ranger is not a real help for the team, in WvW even worse than in sPvP. You’ll always hear “Do we have a mesmer,thief ect. for xy” But you never hear “Do we have a ranger for ..” in the WvW TS.. Just feels wrong.. <.<

in Ranger

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

Send a Scout Hawk:
Activate the skill and then click an area of the mini-map to send the hawk. Several seconds later that area will become “revealed” allowing you to see red dots of enemy players, green dots of allied players on the map even though it’s beyond the normal range which you’d be able to do so.

thisssss!!!! at least we can scout and use this as an effective strategy to more or less accurately measure the incoming zerg

maybe to improve (imba)

15 minutes cooldown channeling skill 30 seconds to complete
(reason behind a lot of rangers can utilize this most of the time)
rangers will touch the ground to communicate with the earth, scanning all enemies on the map

(edited by Oldgrimm.8521)

in Ranger

Posted by: slingblade.1437

slingblade.1437

Guard – Your pet will aggressively protect the target area. Pets can scale/jump down walls.

in Ranger

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

OP, you forgot about Engineers - we are also useful for ourself only class...

"Guard – Your pet will aggressively protect the target area. Pets can scale/jump down walls."
Did you read patch-notes?

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

“Self Sufficient”/“Forage Frenzy”

For a small amount of time (30-60 seconds) Workers will run outside to gather supplies. 5 supplies/seconds for Towers, 10 supplies/second for castles, 20 supplies/second for Stonemist. For each worker, the supply income is increased.

Workers gain Swiftness, stability and protection during this time period

This skill would effectively allow rangers to “supply” a base even without any real supply bases, by allowing to let the workers run outside and fetch supplies. The workers would be running around the base seemingly “aimlessly” while gathering supplies… the cooldown should be -very- long, but it would make us almost invaluable to any commander hoping to hold a base. yet we wouldnt gain any “op-ness” in PVP.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

slingblade.1437

OP, you forgot about Engineers – we are also useful for ourself only class…

“Guard – Your pet will aggressively protect the target area. Pets can scale/jump down walls.”
Did you read patch-notes?

I was being sarcastic We HAD a skill that made us at least a little special in WvW.

in Ranger

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

I can send an invisible pet to attack stuff at range 4000. Is that special?

in Ranger

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

Guard – your pet will aggressively protect the target area and sniff out stealthy intruders.

This would be for “de-cloaking” thieves and mesmers from protected areas. It makes sense as animals have a keen sense of smell that should still detect invisible foes. This would be an ideal addition to rangers IMO.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)

in Ranger

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

“Necro’s are the only ones who can help their team kill a buffed claimer”.

Not anymore claimers are now immune to condition dmg also.

Oh and on another thought Anet does not even keep enough staff to fix simple tool tip bugs how do people think they can add new skills like this. Unless someone can copy/paste code or change a number we will not be seeing any class additions like this. Took them 6 months to make 1 change to programming of Ele grasp skill, and that might of been a copy and paste job too.

(edited by Moddo.7105)

in Ranger

Posted by: Samitan.6192

Samitan.6192

I really like the scout hawk idea, was also thinking how much i miss preparations from GW1, the only thing we get close to that in GW 2 is sharpening stone which lasts 6 attacks, for something that lasts 6 attacks i’d expect knockback not 1 piddly bleed . However in a way i suppose spirits are our buff mechanic, yes i no they die too much, was just saying.

in Ranger

Posted by: Awkward.1286

Awkward.1286

Guard – is not 4000 range, it is 1200.
-It does not scale walls anymore, it can only climb down them still.
-Sniffing out stealth enemies means nothing, even with the anti-aggro changes to stealth.
-Pets should automatically hunt stealth enemies.
-Having this skill in your bar is a pointless.

in Ranger

slingblade.1437

It does not scale walls anymore, it can only climb down them still.

I’m glad to learn at least they can still climb down. I do use that to attack siege weapons, sometimes.

Anyway, sorry for de-railing the thread.

I do like the creative thinking in the OP.

It does seem to me that rangers, being masters of nature, should have more access to healing, especially of conditions. Maybe a small AoE condition purge they could apply to themselves and/or allies where they wave their arm and some green aloe leaves flutter down in the AoE circle.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

It does not scale walls anymore, it can only climb down them still.

I’m glad to learn at least they can still climb down. I do use that to attack siege weapons, sometimes.

Anyway, sorry for de-railing the thread.

I do like the creative thinking in the OP.

It does seem to me that rangers, being masters of nature, should have more access to healing, especially of conditions. Maybe a small AoE condition purge they could apply to themselves and/or allies where they wave their arm and some green aloe leaves flutter down in the AoE circle.

healing spring does that already

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: dallywolf.1906

dallywolf.1906

Personally I think that our Healing Spring should also res allies within the pool. Run in drop a spring around three downed allies and res them at the same time. Kinda match the Search and Rescue function and make having a ranger around in dungeons and WvW more meaningful.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay The Dude.5830

Jay The Dude.5830

it’d be sweet if we could stand on the walls in wvwvw an use a nature spirit to create vines to protect the walls and gate for a time, or atleast just increase the health and armor of the fortress making seige take longer, this would develop our class along the lines of best siege defenders, we could also make a wall of thorns to act as a gate before the real gate that bleeds melee attackers and damages rams

(edited by Jay The Dude.5830)

in Ranger

slingblade.1437

It does seem to me that rangers, being masters of nature, should have more access to healing, especially of conditions.

healing spring does that already

Yes, I’m aware of that. So does Nature’s Renewal. HS is great, and NR is currently pretty much useless in WvW. Our other condition removals are spotty and one just got nerfed hard. Maybe something like Mending Touch from GW1, which was a two condi removal with a low CD that could be used on the caster or one ally.

in Ranger

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

I know this is old, but these sound fantastic, would really make us into the “scout” profession for WvW.

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Two things:

1. Some kind of stealth reveal trait or pet ability. It is unbelievable there is no counter to stealth in GW2.

2. Stationary stealth for Rangers. You can stealth in the open field and stay stealthed as long as you don’t move. Move = unstealthed for 1 minute. Attack = same thing.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Paz Shadow.9715

Paz Shadow.9715

They never should have changed Guard, that was the one skill that made us unique in wvw. We could take out siege on walls, as well as cause disruptions and revive members. I know the reviving was an issue, but they should have just made it so a pet cannot “revive” an ally while in “guard” mode and the problem would be solved. That is a much easier fix than completely ruining the skill.

Green Eye of Grenth | PR Officer | JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Yeap, Guard made Rangers useful in WvW, to bad it was nerfed cause of Mesmer’s

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: UprightMan.9631

UprightMan.9631

Two things:

1. Some kind of stealth reveal trait or pet ability. It is unbelievable there is no counter to stealth in GW2.

2. Stationary stealth for Rangers. You can stealth in the open field and stay stealthed as long as you don’t move. Move = unstealthed for 1 minute. Attack = same thing.

I think the stationary stealth is a great idea, and I also really liked the OP’s idea of sending an incorporal form of ourselves back to a target area to be able to look around for a couple seconds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

a couple corrections, ele’s can’t destroy seige shots anymore, and npcs with the buffed status are now invincible they dont just mitigate damage to 0 anymore they straight ignore it until the buffs over. meaning you can’t do anything to them until its over.

and 3. rangers can be fake arrow carts.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

And rangers have frost trap. Frost trap is a great slot skill that’s frequently underestimated. It’s almost always on my bar anymore.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Troy.5472

Troy.5472

New skill for rangers? Hawk Eyes to see invisible thieves XD

in Ranger

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

Send a Scout Hawk:

I strongly support this!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Cempa.5619

Cempa.5619

Not trying to derail the thread, but how exactly do warriors produce the highest ranged damage?

in Ranger

Posted by: Taran Redleaf.7912

Taran Redleaf.7912

Commune with Nature:
Lay down a commune field with a 5 minute duration and no range limitation. Reactivate the skill to briefly portal back to that location as an invisible/incorporeal form of yourself for several seconds to see what is going on around that area before returning to your body. Should be fairly easy to program with existing Mesmer portal code.

Send a Scout Hawk:

Hunker down:
Create a sticks/branches shelter similar to shadow refuge that up to 5 allies can “hide” in (go invis, gain invulnerability). They get knocked out if they cast or attack. Enemies can destroy the shelter if they target it. Should have about as much health as a catapult. This would be a really neat skill for group fights, as your wounded allies can attempt to retreat to the shelter to try to regain health. Also I can imagine two or three of these set up in a wooded area near a road, with your team hiding inside waiting for the enemy force to pass by. So cool!

Any other “unique” skill ideas for Rangers?

Send a Scout Hawk (alternate version): Commune with the Spirit of the Hawk
Actually I’d change this one. Something like commune with the spirit of the hawk. The Ranger stands still. Activating the skill gives free motion to the camera to “soar” for about 1 minute maximum (aerial view). The body of the Ranger stays behind, but the camera (first person view) can “fly” around and see where action is taking place for up to 1 minute away from where the Ranger’s body was left behind. The danger, of course, is leaving one’s body unprotected. The advantage, however, is the ability to scout the surrounding area virtually undetected. If the Ranger’s body is attacked, concentration is broken, and the Ranger is instantly “returned” to one’s own body.

Camouflage:
The Ranger, if out of combat, is able to stealth. The idea being that the Ranger finds a good lookout position and stays in place to observe enemy movements and activity. The stealth, however, is very fragile. Movement causes the stealth to break (whether a side step or running away). Being struck by an enemy (such as AoE) causes the stealth to break. Attacking causes the stealth to break. The Ranger can’t move, fight, or do anything other than observe. However, the stealth will last until broken (and has a long cooldown time between activation – say 180 or 240).

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Not trying to derail the thread, but how exactly do warriors produce the highest ranged damage?

Because we have anet to thank for that. Anet is the biggest detriment that the ranger class has, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to force poorly coded ai on us and split our damage, and now are deciding to reduce the damage of the shoddily coded ai.

On a side note I do like the suggestions for a new skill that have been presented in the thread.

(edited by Bailey.6892)

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Rangers were able to help in specific way: frost spirit worked for siege dmg. Now it’s gone, together with most “special” things like SW, Leg spec etc.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Warriors do the highest ranged damage?

When?

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

When?

Because 20k piercing Kill Shots aren’t the highest ranged damage? Shouldn’t you be back trolling the warrior forums?

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

When?

Because 20k piercing Kill Shots aren’t the highest ranged damage? Shouldn’t you be back trolling the warrior forums?

Oh, you mean burst damage. I thought you meant damage over time.

Yes, warriors do have high burst damage, however it is easy to avoid which is why most don’t use it. However in DPS they are actually quite low.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

You forgot that kill shot need adrenaline charged to maks to have even chance to hit 20k (on very crit) and have long cast time…

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

“Did ya get that thing I sent ya?”: Load every pet you’ve collected, one at a time, into a nearby catapult. They land with half health but are enraged and will do double crits & damage to the nearest target in a 1200 radius

in Ranger

Lord Trejgon.2809

@ilr +1
I cannot stop laugh

btw. I’m signing up under that camouflage idea – there was once that skill in the game but was deleted because of some sPvP issues….

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

When?

Yes, warriors do have high burst damage, however it is easy to avoid which is why most don’t use it. However in DPS they are actually quite low.

Oh yeah, warriors just have terrible ranged DPS. 2k autos, 10k volleys, 12k arcing arrows – it’s just all so terrible. No sustained damage whatsoever.

in Ranger

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

When?

Oh yeah, warriors just have terrible ranged DPS. 2k autos, 10k volleys, 12k arcing arrows – it’s just all so terrible. No sustained damage whatsoever.

Go to golems, compare warr rifle in optimal buid with ranger SB in optimal build.

in Ranger

Posted by: vitali.1609

vitali.1609

give me a tracking skill. pop out hidden enemies

in Ranger

Posted by: Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

Bloodwort MacFangho.4638

As a ranger, I’d like a skill that causes all ‘local’ (say, within a range of 1200) fauna attack my target. It would be an elite .

After all – I am Nature’s friend .. just saying!

Blood
(I have to know! In WvW, do Legendary NPCs drop Legendary loot?)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

Guard – Your pet will aggressively protect the target area. Pets can scale/jump down walls.

The scale/jump walls bit got nerfed a while back. A shame because I thought it was a perfect Ranger kind of thing. It was not OP, any competent player can counter a pet all by itself. You would think bird pets would be naturals for attacking players on walls etc. but nooo. The suggested bird as scout is a great idea too.

Guard is a short term skill.

OP missed that warriors also bring pretty sweet group buffs that don’t have counters like the way spririts can be killed.

If your trying to start a ‘Rangers Suck in WvW’ meme like the ‘Rangers Suck in Dungeons’ one, well, we all can see just how effective that has been.

I get the impression RNDnet thinks that what makes us special is that we do fairly well in one on one fights and we should be happy with that. I know I prefer roaming, hitting sentries, yaks, and the occasional enemy roamer, because those are the only thing this class seems to be good for in WvW.

RNDnet just inserts head in sand, and re-iterates that all classes are viable (except Warriors in Spvp, who they think need more buffs that also carry over into WvW and PVE.)

I love my Ranger in WvW, but I gave up looking for any balance efforts (other than a few minor ones) from this game.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

(edited by Jalad Lantana.3027)

in Ranger

Lord Trejgon.2809

not roaming solo….
thing that zerg fights isn’t our good side doesn’y mean that only roaming is left – you can still take a party of players aand using fact that zergs are absorbed themselfes – make a chaos behind the frontlines diversion is also good thing in rangers