No Staff = No Avatar (offensively)

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

right now, it’s not possible to generate enough energy for avatar without using staff, and without healing. especially when it decays instantly after combat. so you’ll absolutely have to tweak some numbers. big time.

in other words: cant use an offensive build without staff.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

For PvP its no Troll Unguent = no Astral Force.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sandzibar.5134

Sandzibar.5134

Didn’t we go over this during the beta? and didn’t they say they’d change it so that Staff and Troll weren’t mandatory?

I’m pretty sure we had that discussion.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

that’s ok, at least our smokescale hits for 11k. that’s basically all we asked for.

in Ranger

Posted by: Staggs.9372

Staggs.9372

Not very surprising considering it was finished last and was only given little testing. Thanks for the info though, I was about to get my ranger to the jungle.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

sorry, I should have stated explicitly, by only doing damage

I had a whole bunch of condi builds in mind that did not use staff, and theyre basically not viable at all.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Funny, looks like the last beta weekend test was to no avail. They said they improved druid following the beta reports, yet it looks like the druid is an even worse state now: none of the stated improvement AND AF drains out of combat …

I don’t care, I still with my ranger as I planned to anyway and will enjoy the new pets and improved pet survivability (at last, after 3 years of bad treatment to animals !). Now we can replace thiefs in the meta with smokescale.

(edited by Gilgalas.7860)

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

If you dont use : Staff OR TU OR Cultivated SynergyOR Verdant Etching OR glyphs OR Lingering Light OR healing sigils/runes OR rapid attaks weapons like LB/SB – it will be very hard to regenerate AF.

TU alone is like 50% AF.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

If you dont use : Staff OR TU OR Cultivated SynergyOR Verdant Etching OR glyphs OR Lingering Light OR healing sigils/runes OR rapid attaks weapons like LB/SB – it will be very hard to regenerate AF.

TU alone is like 50% AF.

The only thing that is true is your last sentence.

glyphs, even with etchings, only provide a minimal amount of AF. lingering light provides very minimal amount of AF and ONLY works IF you are standing on top of someone AND you have Staff equipped, because only staff heals count for it.

IF you don’t use staff or TU, no matter what else you take, you ARE NOT going to generate enough AF to use avatar.
IF you don’t use BOTH staff AND TU, it IS a struggle to get enough AF to use avatar.

Nevermind that a fully charged avatar now only lasts 5 seconds.
Nevermind that regen, spirit of nature and SotW count for absolutely nothing.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

(edited by Raven.9603)

in Ranger

Posted by: LegallyBinding.4937

LegallyBinding.4937

IMO the astral force changes (the way it now generates and the out of combat loss) has completely ruined the Druid. I won’t be playing it unless this is addressed.

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

TU alone is like 50% AF.

The only thing that is true is your last sentence.

glyphs, even with etchings, only provide a minimal amount of AF. lingering light provides very minimal amount of AF and ONLY works IF you are standing on top of someone AND you have Staff equipped, because only staff heals count for it.

IF you don’t use staff or TU, no matter what else you take, you ARE NOT going to generate enough AF to use avatar.
IF you don’t use BOTH staff AND TU, it IS a struggle to get enough AF to use avatar.

Nevermind that a fully charged avatar now only lasts 5 seconds.
Nevermind that regen, spirit of nature and SotW count for absolutely nothing.

I need to do much more testing, I will write my conclusions in 1-2 dyas.

in Ranger

LegallyBinding.4937

IMO I have no problem gating CAF behind staff. But given that healing charges it less now and that it dissipates out of combat, the whole system feels awful and clunky.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

IMO I have no problem gating CAF behind staff. But given that healing charges it less now and that it dissipates out of combat, the whole system feels awful and clunky.

if youre using staff, then reaching avatar form shouldn’t be a problem at all, even with the decay. maybe 20s into a fight u’ll have it.

in Ranger

LegallyBinding.4937

if youre using staff, then reaching avatar form shouldn’t be a problem at all, even with the decay. maybe 20s into a fight u’ll have it.

Reaching it definitely takes longer than BWE3, but thats not the problem. The problem is the dissipation. It takes so much away from the Druid in PvP.

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

It takes so much away from the Druid in PvP.

could you be more specific? I’m not having issues generating avatar, healing, support, doing damage, etc. while using staff.

my problem is simply not being able to run druid builds without staff.

(edited by mistsim.2748)

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Anyone else notice that using staff 3 sometimes puts you into combat, even if there’s nothing/no one around you?

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Anyone else notice that using staff 3 sometimes puts you into combat, even if there’s nothing/no one around you?

yep, tahts a bug for sure. report it to the bug forums and hopefully irenio sees it here. more specifically, it’s the end (blast finish) portion of it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

IMO I have no problem gating CAF behind staff.

I do. There is no reason to force one profession to use a specific weapon just to have access to their mechanic. That is TERRIBLE design, and no other profession in the game is so constrained. If they do that, then they’d kitten ed well better make Chronomancer f5 only work when shield is out, and Reaper Shroud only available when greatsword is used, etc.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I do. There is no reason to force one profession to use a specific weapon just to have access to their mechanic. That is TERRIBLE design, and no other profession in the game is so constrained. If they do that, then they’d kitten ed well better make Chronomancer f5 only work when shield is out, and Reaper Shroud only available when greatsword is used, etc.

Don’t be silly. Anet actually tried with those. That’s why they are so kitten good.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

Don’t be silly. Anet actually tried with those. That’s why they are so kitten good.

Holy kittene tho, I got #rekt trying to mess around with Druid by some chronos and reapers. The cc and active defenses on chrono are insane and reaper is hard as hell to kite.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

mistsim.2748

Holy kittene tho, I got #rekt trying to mess around with Druid by some chronos and reapers. The cc and active defenses on chrono are insane and reaper is hard as hell to kite.

it can suck getting caught offguard by a chrono or reaper, but 1v1 it shouldn’t be a problem. for example, i roll with 3 condi wipes, 3 stun breakers. SoS and SoTP. haven’t had too many issues with any single spec so far.