Noone plays ranger in WVW

in Ranger

Posted by: Pegaasus.3280

Pegaasus.3280

Hey guys I’ ve opened this topic just to make you all realize the lack of rangers in wvw..and above all the lack of rangers using shortbow..I have a question for Arenanet: Why there are so few rangers around?^

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

Cross thingers our wonderful moderators won t close this topic becouse They ve already closed 3 of my topics..telling me that my topics are not costructive…( Whereas their ranger nerfs are constructive yes yes :P )

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

What is the point of this topic?
The statement in the title is just wrong + you see many rangers roaming all day.
I also dont get your second post complaining about mods closing unconstructive topics.

Imho, this topic should be next on their list.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

Posted by: Stice.5204

Stice.5204

It is correct that the 8 professions are very unevenly represented in WvW. It is also correct that the various weapon types available within each profession are unevenly represented.

I’m sure Arenanet is aware of this. I’m not sure they consider it a problem, though. Just because something is not heavily utilized does not necessarily mean it is underpowered or poorly designed. It might just have more of a niche appeal.

So if you’re hoping to get Arenanet to buff you by pointing out that not many people play your favorite build, it’s probably not going to work.

Guardian, Engineer
[SIC] Strident Iconoclast – BP

in Ranger

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Enter the lake in any of the borderlands. You can see there more solo roaming rangers or roaming in small groups than any other profession.

Trust me, I have been playing as solo roamer in WvWvW for ages and I have the nick name “King of the lake” or “Lord of the Lake”. Rangers are there the most common profession. Many 5 man roaming teams, who specialize in harrassing enemies, sniping and taking their supply camps, also use rangers. Many top gvg teams use rangers and thief’s as snipers. If you want to point out the least used WvWvW profession, that is engineer. Necromancers also used to be rare, now they are all over the place thanks to recent buffs.

Guardians, warriors and thieves are of course most common.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

I’ve heard this a lot, but what precisely makes Rangers so good underwater? I usually avoid underwater combat, so I have little experience myself.

in Ranger

Posted by: cbrooksc.9358

cbrooksc.9358

I’ve spent a good ammount of gold in the last few months on different builds for ranger and I cant seem to find one I’m comfortable with. I’ve found a few that do really well at one thing but suck at anything else.

I Think if they changed the class mechanics (Pet) and perhaps made it so you have to trait to get a pet and if you don’t then you get the damage the pet takes from you added onto your own stats. Because right now the number one thing screwing with the rangers in actual combat is the pet, Mine to soooooooo often just run around get behind and enemy and then just follow them while they move while fighting. So in that situation the ranger which has reduced stats has to be very good to win a fight like that.

So I think the reason the ranger isn’t used to much in WvW (I see Guardians everywhere) is because they just are not very good for it. But I really really wish they were. It’s my favorite class. We just need that stupid pet out of the way so we can actually start using our class fully.

Then AN can start working on our traits which are a mess. Trapping skills are in Skirmishing. o_O they should be in Wilderness Survival. Wut :O

Edit: Before people say ‘But the Pet is the Rangers Mechanic’ It’s so broken it’s just pulling the class down. If we replaced the class mechanic with a crossbow then that would be cool. Very unique and fits into the class, the crossbow can be worked into the class in many ways and provide even further ranger but slow shots. I dunno just throwing things around but my point is there are soo many better things that could be used other than pets. and on that note wasn’t it arenanet that said they weren’t afraid to go back and completely redo something. Because ranger need redoing.

ok.

(edited by cbrooksc.9358)

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Rangers are a pet class if you picked this class without knowing that then you probably picked the wrong class. If ranger received a buff for not having a pet it would force players who specifically pick the class for their pets to play without pets or be kicked from groups.

Anet has already said they have not intention of adding perma stow. This may change but I would stop playing the class is they did (probably game as well).

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

I’ve spent a good ammount of gold in the last few months on different builds for ranger and I cant seem to find one I’m comfortable with. I’ve found a few that do really well at one thing but suck at anything else.

I Think if they changed the class mechanics (Pet) and perhaps made it so you have to trait to get a pet and if you don’t then you get the damage the pet takes from you added onto your own stats. Because right now the number one thing screwing with the rangers in actual combat is the pet, Mine to soooooooo often just run around get behind and enemy and then just follow them while they move while fighting. So in that situation the ranger which has reduced stats has to be very good to win a fight like that.

So I think the reason the ranger isn’t used to much in WvW (I see Guardians everywhere) is because they just are not very good for it. But I really really wish they were. It’s my favorite class. We just need that stupid pet out of the way so we can actually start using our class fully.

Then AN can start working on our traits which are a mess. Trapping skills are in Skirmishing. o_O they should be in Wilderness Survival. Wut :O

Edit: Before people say ‘But the Pet is the Rangers Mechanic’ It’s so broken it’s just pulling the class down. If we replaced the class mechanic with a crossbow then that would be cool. Very unique and fits into the class, the crossbow can be worked into the class in many ways and provide even further ranger but slow shots. I dunno just throwing things around but my point is there are soo many better things that could be used other than pets. and on that note wasn’t it arenanet that said they weren’t afraid to go back and completely redo something. Because ranger need redoing.

ok.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I was using shortbow in wvwv with a trap rampager ranger last night. Not joking…

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

You re the only one here who really understands the point..I’ ve spent tons of gold too finding a balance but without success..Once beastmastery build was nice..but they nerfed it..shortbow was nice..but they nerfed it..= ranger inferior to any other class

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

And above all guys this is a forum for rangers..of course that here we are plenty of rangers)) But have a look while roaming in wvw..have a look on the enemies..have a look on your own zerg..and notice how many rangers there are..You ll find out that rangers are going to die out. That’ s it. I’ m Rank 163 wvw and not the new one here

in Ranger

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

^ I don’t mind, I like to be different. If possible I’d like to be the only ranger in jade quarry

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in Ranger

Posted by: ChroNoS.6978

ChroNoS.6978

I lol @ you thinking rangers(and their pets) are underpowered.

I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but I’d be hard pressed to find a 1v1 fight I’ll lose. Not that I mean my build is OP or anything(I was a full melee which did very well too, then they nerfed all the dps I got out of it so I made myself a decent trapper build) but seriously. We are far from under powered.

Juuuuust a L2P issue I’m afraid.

And also,

I’ve heard this a lot, but what precisely makes Rangers so good underwater? I usually avoid underwater combat, so I have little experience myself.

We can’t die due to a pet bug, and even before that the amount of DPS we get out underwater is insane.

Qronuz – Ranger

(edited by ChroNoS.6978)

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

Well tell us you re fabolous build then

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Rangers are a pet class if you picked this class without knowing that then you probably picked the wrong class. If ranger received a buff for not having a pet it would force players who specifically pick the class for their pets to play without pets or be kicked from groups.

Anet has already said they have not intention of adding perma stow. This may change but I would stop playing the class is they did (probably game as well).

Ah i see you are one of those smart “if you don’t like the pet just reroll rifle warrior” guys.
Most players chose the ranger cos they like the class style, weapons, or they just like a nature-themed adventurer profession. These ppl were forced by anet to use a pet. Atm the ranger has no options at all, the class is a pet class, end of story. Personally i have no problem with pets in spvp or even pve (and i have been playing the class since release in tpvp, wvw and pve). The problem is in wvw, i hate my pet in wvw, especially while fighting a zerg with a small party. And no it’s not a l2p issue. They poorly implemented our pet mechanic, they should have tested it a bit more, it’s too late now. They should stop with this stupid “class philosophy” kitten and start reworking things. I’ve never seen a worst pet mechanic, it’s just that bad, lots of useless ugly pets nobody uses. Pigs really? Lol -yea let’s add tons of stupid pets so players can have fun collecting them, yea super c00l!!!11- No pet customization; all the pets i see around are named the same “juvenile kitten” cos you can’t even save your pet’s name after choosing a different one. Even the pet swap mechanic i think is really bad and poorly implemented -oh kitten the aoe spamming is killing my pet let’s summon the second one- The truth is they ruined the ranger class with their stupid “philosophy”.

in Ranger

Aeri.5738

Try (depending on the enemy class)

30/30/10 (30/20/20 is also nice, but harder to survive) Power Build against warriors and other less mobile classes
0/30/30/10 trapper against Mesmers, Minionmancers, Spiritrangers
0/0/30/30/10 (or 20/30/20 for more BM power) spirit build against heavy bursters and evasive enemies to outsustain them

Just named 3, mostly a match is decided by skill, not the build.
There might be a major l2p issue if you have a hard time beating anything as a Ranger. Withour wanting to be insulting, it might be a very good idea to pick an easier class.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!

(edited by Aeri.5738)

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

Aeri you make me laugh ah ah i wasn t interested in your build..just for the words you say i realise you re a medium ranger Always stuck in mediocrity ^^. Have you ever tried what was beastmastery build before the nerf?^ You’ re the only one here who likes the changement they have done lol

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

Read what Fjandi wirtes..and learn what is a ranger and what it was

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

Ah i see you are one of those smart “if you don’t like the pet just reroll rifle warrior” guys.
Most players chose the ranger cos they like the class style, weapons, or they just like a nature-themed adventurer profession. These ppl were forced by anet to use a pet. Atm the ranger has no options at all, the class is a pet class, end of story. Personally i have no problem with pets in spvp or even pve (and i have been playing the class since release in tpvp, wvw and pve). The problem is in wvw, i hate my pet in wvw, especially while fighting a zerg with a small party. And no it’s not a l2p issue. They poorly implemented our pet mechanic, they should have tested it a bit more, it’s too late now. They should stop with this stupid “class philosophy” kitten and start reworking things. I’ve never seen a worst pet mechanic, it’s just that bad, lots of useless ugly pets nobody uses. Pigs really? Lol -yea let’s add tons of stupid pets so players can have fun collecting them, yea super c00l!!!11- No pet customization; all the pets i see around are named the same “juvenile kitten” cos you can’t even save your pet’s name after choosing a different one. Even the pet swap mechanic i think is really bad and poorly implemented -oh kitten the aoe spamming is killing my pet let’s summon the second one- The truth is they ruined the ranger class with their stupid “philosophy”.

You re right mate I agree with you..that’ s the point. They ruined the class and people here are happy…You all guys..you should read what thieves write on ranger class…

in Ranger

Fjandi.2516

I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but I’d be hard pressed to find a 1v1 fight I’ll lose.

Pets can be op or totally useless. It’s just a bad class mechanic, just like phanstams for mesmers or thieves guild elite for thieves…different examples of stupidly designed things. As a regen bm ranger i used to be able to kill pretty much everyone 1v1 while spamming random buttons and evades. Clearly a good balanced and skill-based game. A mesmer can do exactly the same…“let’s summon my phantasms while i’m spamming spatial surge and invis like a baws”. Oh and the thief “oh kitten i suck i’m loosing the fight let’s summon 2 npcs to help me”.
What i really hate is the devs have never said “oh yea sorry guys we know we implemented too many AI-based things in this game but now it’s too late to fix this, we are doing our best tho”. They keep saying “no sorry we are not going to do this/that cos it’s against our class philosophy”. Class philosophy my kitten .

in Ranger

ChroNoS.6978

While I agree with you that many pets are useless, I believe they put them in for the exact reason you mentioned.. For people to collect. There are more than enough fairly decent pets we can use for WvW. And really, if you’re too lazy to use your pet (f1,f2,f3,f4 are all pretty straight forward and easy to use) then just get 2 ranged pets and swap them out constantly.. Try spiders.. poison truly is a kitten.

I agree fully on the having to rename the pet all the time though.. It gets tedious to constantly rename Dog, my pet cat and Igel.. my pet.. well.. eagle.

Also,

No. Being able to post your build online and letting lazy folks make an exact copy without putting in any trouble or creativity is the worst thing to happen since cancer.

My idea behind it is put every condition available to the Ranger on your target(s) though.

Qronuz – Ranger

in Ranger

ChroNoS.6978

I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but I’d be hard pressed to find a 1v1 fight I’ll lose.

Pets can be op or totally useless. It’s just a bad class mechanic, just like phanstams for mesmers or thieves guild elite for thieves…different examples of stupidly designed things. As a regen bm ranger i used to be able to kill pretty much everyone 1v1 while spamming random buttons and evades. Clearly a good balanced and skill-based game. A mesmer can do exactly the same…“let’s summon my phantasms while i’m spamming spatial surge and invis like a baws”. Oh and the thief “oh kitten i suck i’m loosing the fight let’s summon 2 npcs to help me”.
What i really hate is the devs have never said “oh yea sorry guys we know we implemented too many AI-based things in this game but now it’s too late to fix this, we are doing our best tho”. They keep saying “no sorry we are not going to do this/that cos it’s against our class philosophy”. Class philosophy my kitten .

The thing is all of those things are still fairly easy to counter. Back in the day of the BM builds, I simply bursted down the panther or whatever cat the guy was using, and he then was screwed. Most of them never even had a backup pet to use in the event of this. Phantasms are easily dodgeable. When you see them running towards you, press V. And thieves guild is a joke, they are so easily killed, and the thief usually goes invisible right after spawning them, which gives you enough time to deal with it.

Qronuz – Ranger

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

^ I don’t mind, I like to be different. If possible I’d like to be the only ranger in jade quarry

I play Faelwan the ranger for Strikeforce on JQ; whisper me (rangers unite!)—although my gametime is during NA.

in Ranger

Aeri.5738

Aeri you make me laugh ah ah i wasn t interested in your build..just for the words you say i realise you re a medium ranger Always stuck in mediocrity ^^. Have you ever tried what was beastmastery build before the nerf?^ You’ re the only one here who likes the changement they have done lol

You lack in argumentation – and the edit button seems broken for you.
I prefer being stuck in “mediocrity” to getting beating by everything.
I don’t know where your hatred comes from, but if it’s for me not agreeing with your point (still lacking arguments to back up your thesis) than I’d suggest getting used to it.
Until you deliver some acceptable arguments, there is no room for anything else than thinking that you are simply a pug ranger.

As you might see by reading my post again, I didn’t suggest a full BM build. It’s the well known and highly effective Spirit condi bunker.
Go try it, you might actually learn something by doing so.
you asked for builds, I delivered. All of them are viable and fun to play.
If you dont want to try what you asked for, don’t complain any further.
You are constantly complaining instead of enjoying.

if you really hate ranger so much, for god sake pick something else and leave us enjoy our class.

(edited by Aeri.5738)

in Ranger

Fjandi.2516

And really, if you’re too lazy to use your pet (f1,f2,f3,f4 are all pretty straight forward and easy to use) then just get 2 ranged pets and swap them out constantly.. Try spiders.. poison truly is a kitten.

Not really, most f2 skills are still pretty unresponsive (they used to be worse, hard to believe but it’s true), they are just a pathetic effort to force us to “micromanage” our pets. Pets abilities are there only cos they look cool and, sometimes, they work when needed. There’s no place in this game for “micromanagement” kitten. Spamming things in gw2 has pretty much never a negative impact.

The thing is all of those things are still fairly easy to counter. Back in the day of the BM builds, I simply bursted down the panther or whatever cat the guy was using, and he then was screwed. Most of them never even had a backup pet to use in the event of this. Phantasms are easily dodgeable. When you see them running towards you, press V. And thieves guild is a joke, they are so easily killed, and the thief usually goes invisible right after spawning them, which gives you enough time to deal with it.

-You faced terrible bm rangers then, sry. Not many classes were able to “burst a pet down”, expecially if the ranger was using double raven.
-Phanstasm mesmers can be countered by some classes and some specs, this doesn’t mean phantasms spam builds are not poorly designed. Also you seem to confuse phantasms with clones and shatters. In a non-1v1 fight phanstams are really hard to dodge with so many animations around, also some of them, like the duelist, don’t really move towards you.
-Thieves guild can be really strong 1v1. Probably not op, still a terrible designed skill. Ofc you can counter the argument saying “but most thieves are bad and they just spam hs”. Sadly this does not prove anything, since a really good s/d thief using tg is really really hard to beat.

(edited by Fjandi.2516)

in Ranger

Aeri.5738

spamming your pet skills is in fact a bad idea. you might interrupt their abilities and literally cripple them.
when using an f2 make sure your pet is in range already, otherwise it has to walk a great distance before actually doing anything.
after pressing f2, leave your pet be for a few seconds to not cancle the ability

in Ranger

Chopps.5047

I still argue the only reason pets are unresponsive in a zerg is due to the player letting the pet roam, get stun locked, and then they try to activate the stun locked pet. Your pet can get interrrupted too. Also, beware of necro’s trying to epidemic pets.

in Ranger

ChroNoS.6978

I do agree that the skills are badly implemented micromanaging, but I still think they are not totally unresponsive. My pets almost always use their skills instantly, and if not it’s because, like you said, they’re out of range. However, they immediately run towards the target and perform the ability as soon as they get to it.

I completely disagree with you saying they’re useless(just there to look cool) though. They really can bring a build together. Take my initiation with my lynx for example; When I open fights I throw my torch, swap to dagger before it hits, throw my dagger, make the lynx leap at him(4 bleeds) and then poison him, swap back to axe, throw skill 2 (5 bleeds) on him, get spike trap on him, all the while the lynx has used some of his own abilities to add some extra bleeds and voila. 18-25 bleeds with poison, frost and fire just like that.

Pets are good, you just have to utilize their strong points while minimizing their weak ones.

Qronuz – Ranger

in Ranger

Fjandi.2516

My bad i didn’t mean they are useless, actually they are REALLY useful (some of them), but, at least in tpvp against good players, most of the times they are not fast enough. They are situational.

spamming your pet skills is in fact a bad idea. you might interrupt their abilities and literally cripple them.
when using an f2 make sure your pet is in range already, otherwise it has to walk a great distance before actually doing anything.
after pressing f2, leave your pet be for a few seconds to not cancle the ability

You can’t spam pet skills, since they have a cd, what i meant is in a game where everyone is spamming aoe condis on small points, pet f2 skills make me smile. It’s like the devs wanted to add some counterplay in the game (lol ofc they did) but they failed miserably, since atm spamming is the best option.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I’m very sure that depends on which server you play on. Whenever I play WvW, I constantly see pets chasing players around. I see much less Engineers and Elementalists then Rangers. Even Mesmers I don’t see very often anymore.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

in Ranger

Aeri.5738

OFC there is a cd, still spamming the button makes the pet fail its command.

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Many top gvg teams use rangers and thief’s as snipers.

lolwut

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

0/0/20/30/20 full clerics, with 2 solider ear-rings. Double canine (fern + hyena)

instead of pure spirits, i run with this build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNAsfTnEV0FcZFKWwaZAppQTMvniZZ9cPGlSJELY0D-j0yAoNioRqBA9JZEIosYR0YrdTjt6GE1sgsyGT9mUrfR0qFC47YA-w

Pro’s:

• permanent regeneration and swiftness
  • long lasting stability
  • direct damage (not condition heavy, so classes with counter-meta builds got no advantage)
  • incredible survivability
  • heavy group support
  • hard to focus-fire

Con’s:

• medium-low DPS
  • not likely to kill another bunker, ever.
  • less proficient in 1v3/1v5
  • susceptible to stun-lock
  • suffers if pet dies
Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I play Faelwan the ranger for Strikeforce on JQ; whisper me (rangers unite!)—although my gametime is during NA.

I’ve recently began using traps in WvW, and oh dear Jesus is it hilarious to hit an entire enemy Zerg with -5 supply traps as they run through an area xD.

I need to get a bunch of trappers back together in WvW so we can obliterate a choke point again, not even the thieves would be able to survive now that those revealed traps are in the game…..

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

Um, OP, I have 1 toon and 1 toon only so my Ranger wvwvw’s as often as I do.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

cbrooksc.9358

You re the only one here who really understands the point..I’ ve spent tons of gold too finding a balance but without success..Once beastmastery build was nice..but they nerfed it..shortbow was nice..but they nerfed it..= ranger inferior to any other class

:)

I assume you are speaking about me.

Yeah, I today decided to re role. I love using conditions so am working on a necro but lvling is sooooo boring. I did try to lvl a thief once before because I got soo mad in wvw but I got bored of that after I got to lvl 28.

‘Sigh’

I don’t even like any of the other professions :/ they don’t feel right, but they are soooo powerful compared to Ranger that I think I’ll just have to be bored while lvling for the next few days….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xKcDOIgEGLU&t=9

^^^ A Necro just look at the amount of conditions!!! :O

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

As others have stated, I find enemy rangers to be the most prevalent roaming profession in WvW (sadly most of them are terribly misguided with their builds). However, when we talk zergs, you are correct, rangers don’t exist (and shouldn’t). I personally play guardian for zergs (and it seems guardians comprise of about 25% of any zerg) because of their high aoe burst combined with boons, invuln, and blocks so they can stay alive and deal damage.

Ranger lacks too much of the required zerg combat mechanics to be effective. And to top it all off, we don’t have a single pet that is truly proficient in aoe combat (you could say drakes, and with that I say stationary casting and no condition removal results in a quick death).

in Ranger

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Ranger pets sucks, maybe that’s why.

in Ranger

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

No Rangers in WvW ? It’s like the pub down my street. It’s so busy that no one goes there anymore.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

How come necromancers aren’t a pet class? Or mesmers, since clones and phantasms are basically just summoned AI pets?

How would changing the pet mechanic make the ranger any less of a pet class, if the mechanic remained pet focused?

I’m just curious, because a lot of rangers transitioned from guild wars 1 to guild wars 2 thinking they would continue playing their ranger class, not a “pet class.” So while you look down your nose at everybody that doesn’t like something that you like, just remember that there were a lot of players that expected a lot of different things than what the class currently provides, and that the marketing used to advertise the ranger class never suggested anywhere that rangers would be forced into always using pets, which is extremely deceptive to people until they actually try the class and find out they are stuck with it.

Being a guild wars 1 veteran, I absolutely hate that rangers are forced to use the pet in this game; something that wasn’t true for the first game. It’s like a lot of really good, old ideas were trashed, in order to try to reinvent the wheel with a bunch of new, bad ideas. And, lore wise, rangers forgot how to use preparations, stances, and most of their traps and spirits, in order to gain what? The ability to always have dopey the almost as useful as it was in guild wars 1 animal always running around trying to be useful, and never really quite hitting the mark exactly where you’d want it in anything other than general PvE.

As Durz mentioned somewhere else, I’m not sure they should do away with the pet entirely. But the pet should be implemented as additional damage on top of the rangers damage output, and then the pet concept can be redesigned as the pet not being “out” until you bring it out, then it stays out and does damage for a period of time, with a cooldown. The pet will have the potential to last until it’s cooldown is over, meaning you can just resummon it to have it permanently available. You have the ability to do a unique attack with it still, and the pet swap gets replaced with a call back, which takes it’s remaining lifespan and knocks a portion of it off the cooldown, where as if the pet dies, it goes on full cooldown.

Now you have a class that can always use the pet, even if they aren’t built for it, but can have the damage come from the player. On top of that, you can still choose to play as a beastmaster, which would, in the suggested redesign, be more focused around cooldown reduction, and damage and utility increases, just like other classes mechanic traitline do for their mechanic.

This, I think, would be the best way to open up some versatility for the way the class can be played, while thematically keeping it as a “pet class.”

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Pegaasus.3280

Yeah, I today decided to re role. I love using conditions so am working on a necro but lvling is sooooo boring. I did try to lvl a thief once before because I got soo mad in wvw but I got bored of that after I got to lvl 28.

‘Sigh’

I don’t even like any of the other professions :/ they don’t feel right, but they are soooo powerful compared to Ranger that I think I’ll just have to be bored while lvling for the next few days….

Eh mate I’ m happy that at least you had the will to reroll another class and play it..whereas me that I liked only ranger..well I think I’ ll quit

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

‘Sigh’

Eh mate I’ m happy that at least you had the will to reroll another class and play it..whereas me that I liked only ranger..well I think I’ ll quit

I try other classes and they’re fun for a while I just can’t not play a Ranger and the Ranger is so badly implemented in this version of not-so-much-Guild-Wars it’s just not even fun.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but I’d be hard pressed to find a 1v1 fight I’ll lose. Not that I mean my build is OP or anything(I was a full melee which did very well too, then they nerfed all the dps I got out of it so I made myself a decent trapper build) but seriously. We are far from under powered.

Juuuuust a L2P issue I’m afraid.

Personally, I don’t think pets are underpowered, per se. What I think is that they lack the ability to actually use this power. They can be easily tricked and manipulated and there is nothing built into them to be forgiving of the AI’s deficiencies.

I only had 10 minutes, so this is extremely quick and dirty, and I don’t have a friend on our opposing servers to come help me out, but if the pet AI can’t keep up with me – the pet’s master – how can I trust it to keep up when an enemy or enemies are on me?

And this isn’t even taking into consideration the fact that we can’t control its attack rotation and skills, nor can we interrupt what it randomly decides to do to do something more beneficial. The pet system is what fails us, not the pets power.

Learning to play isn’t what Rangers need to do , it’s what pets need to do.

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

(edited by Khayoss.2019)

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

So, Muddy Terrain is the greatest thing ever in WvW, so many lives ended today with this…. so many bags..

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: GUFF.5692

GUFF.5692

So, Muddy Terrain is the greatest thing ever in WvW, so many lives ended today with this…. so many bags..

Yeah, MT is one of our most underated skills by far.

It was funny, last night in EB i was running with one of the larger guilds who were short on peeps for once. I landed a few nice MTs and the commander said “Nice Static!” Normally the commander would have been right, they would have multiple eles dropping it like it was hot. Problem was there were no eles only warriors, guardians, and me the lone ranger. I banged my head on table the second time he said that.

Granted, MT can be blocked while static can’t but static can be negated with stability so it evens out.

Sarhaz [CDS]

I was a ranger before shortbow had 1200m range AND after it didn’t…

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

but static field has like twice the CD of MT

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Fordel.3208

Fordel.3208

Nearly twice the range too though.

in Ranger

cbrooksc.9358

‘Sigh’

Don’t get me wrong. I only like ranger too. I hate playing as anything else. It just doesn’t quite feel right. But the ranger just feels wrong in the different way, in a way like I want to be able to do something but I just can quite do it, kinda way.

And I think I’ve already given up lvling my necro. I went back on my ranger and did some WvW.

ArenaNet, please take a goooooooood hard look at the ranger and change them!

in Ranger

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Hey guys I’ ve opened this topic just to make you all realize the lack of rangers in wvw..and above all the lack of rangers using shortbow..I have a question for Arenanet: Why there are so few rangers around?^

I’m a full LB/SB ranger roaming around in WvW.. Thing is, by the time you’ll have noticed me, you probably will be dead.. ;-) :p

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe