On fighting the new specs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Hey all. Wanted to ask what everyones opinion was on fighting the new elite specs and the revenant in its new form. I understand it takes some time to get used to fighting them but I thought id go ahead and mention what I found so far.

Namely. Many of these specs simply are fun to play…but there not fun to fight.

The revenant sword 3 for example. Its basically “Im going to attack you four 4-5 seconds and there is litteraly nothing you can do to stop me except burn a cooldown…but evasion cooldowns won’t work cause Ill simply teleport to you.” Its extremely frustrating when im getting hit by this since the only thing I can do to actually stop it is pop signet of stone. If this skill actually had an aoe in which it was active but it would cancel if the target left that aoe I feel it would be okay. But even popping lightning reflexes doesn’t do much here.

The slow on chronomancers is pretty frustrating. As it can happen at seemingly random times. Causing you to get locked into a movement animation simply taking damage while your waiting for it to end (using sword against chronomancer is a terrible idea. as all the skills are movement based) Sure you can use it to run away occasionally. But thats done more accidentally than on purpose.

What are your impressions on hte new specs from a rangers PoV? What builds are you running when you fight them? What tricks have you learned to kill them.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: mistsim.2748

mistsim.2748

i think melee-based rangers will have a much harder time with the reaper, rev and daredevil running around. no idea how good or horrible druid will turn out, but if it’s lackluster, we can basically expect even more LB spam from 1500. will be hard to stay relevant otherwise.

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

The revenant sword 3 for example. Its basically “Im going to attack you four 4-5 seconds and there is litteraly nothing you can do to stop me except burn a cooldown…but evasion cooldowns won’t work cause Ill simply teleport to you.” Its extremely frustrating when im getting hit by this since the only thing I can do to actually stop it is pop signet of stone. If this skill actually had an aoe in which it was active but it would cancel if the target left that aoe I feel it would be okay. But even popping lightning reflexes doesn’t do much here.

Yeah there is a reason people hate rapidfire. Now you know how they feel ;-)

in Ranger

Posted by: ragnarokda.1805

ragnarokda.1805

I did about 6 matches today as condi ranger and had zero issues with rev, reaper or daredevil. Condi berserkers are kind of annoying but no more so than condi engi or burn guard. chrono are literally just a tad more annoying than normal mesmer.

As for rev, you were talking about the repeated teleport skill? When I faced this skill’s usage I use my sword 2 and 3 and it worked out pretty good. Honestly the most annoying part about rev is the field that ports you out of it. haha

in Ranger

Posted by: Swiftly.2385

Swiftly.2385

i think melee-based rangers will have a much harder time with the reaper, rev and daredevil running around. no idea how good or horrible druid will turn out, but if it’s lackluster, we can basically expect even more LB spam from 1500. will be hard to stay relevant otherwise.

Pretty much this. And even then I think LB is going to be at a disadvantage against most of the new specs. I main Ranger, but played some rev yesterday and pretty much wiped the floor with every Ranger I came up against.

Necro’s are going to be out of control…

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Except you can dodge rapidfire

in Ranger

Justine.6351

Except you can dodge rapidfire

You can dodge relentless assault.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I can’t really say how rangers will stand up against them until I’ve played the new profession specializations. Right now I have no idea what any of the tells are for the new skills. I haven’t had trouble with any particular profession but people aren’t used to playing them yet. I have found BW to be a great counter to all the evade spam flying around.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Yeah, but I can reflect and interrupt rapid fire, last BWE I was able to interrupt their little sword nonsense and had no issue with them, now it’s “dodge or take a lot of damage”.

That being said, I don’t think the elite specs are as necissary as a lot of people are acting like, people just haven’t learned the tells on the scarier abilities yet so they’re just eating everything. I really don’t think any prof is that bad overall, daredevil and revenant are probably the two id say are the greatest offenders, but that’s because all their high damage kitten has evades on it.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

(edited by Durzlla.6295)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Alright. Wanted to say thanks for posting your experiences thus far. Wanted to do an update on my own experience over a night of pvp.

BW is a decent hope against the sword 3 for revs. However unlike our rapid fire we cant actually stop that attack from sticking to us so in the end we really will have to rely on BW itself to save us from this. Which is obnoxious because it was already hard to justify NOT bringing this trait. do we really want even more reason to take it?

Reaper is decently dangerous up close thanks to there application of our worst nightmare chill. I agree with what others have said. Ranging it down is gonna be our best bet here.

Chronomancer definitely feels like fighting an upgraded shatter mesmer. However it seems to be generally more kiteable. And I had more success landing ranged attacks on it than I do the standard mesmer build. (yeah for another reason to go ranged >.>) The slow is obnoxious as hell though. Probably always will be.

Beserker I havn’t had much experience with. However headbutt kittens you up pretty good if it lands. Keep a finger on a stun break >.< big time.

Daredevil I honestly don’t know whether or not I have fought them. If I had they didn’t play massively differently than they normally do. Which leads me to believe they weren’t making the most of there new build. Ill wait on this until I start fighting thieves I can look at and think “Yeah this is a kittening daredevil”

Dragonhunters….Aren’t a threat. Except in extremely niche situations. But they havn’t recieved many of the changes there going to have in the NEXT beta weekend. so Ill hold judgement till after that.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

Daredevil I honestly don’t know whether or not I have fought them. If I had they didn’t play massively differently than they normally do. Which leads me to believe they weren’t making the most of there new build. Ill wait on this until I start fighting thieves I can look at and think “Yeah this is a kittening daredevil”

The Daredevils I’ve fought seem to be ignoring the staff and using the line for condi builds, stealth, constant evades and condi spam is probably the most annoying build the game has seen yet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

The Daredevils I’ve fought seem to be ignoring the staff and using the line for condi builds, stealth, constant evades and condi spam is probably the most annoying build the game has seen yet.

so your saying its like a trapper ranger?

The biggest problem I see is with Reaper. In Shroud they will have incredible stability availability AND 66% -movement duration, which is total immunity with food.
So basically you can’t kite them at all in Shroud… dumb…

Rev being invuln during Sword3 is dumb. Skills need counter play other than just “burn your immunities”. Counterplay for mes sword 2 or pistolwhip is move out of range. that doesnt work on rev sword 3, and it cant be interrupted.

Rangers are now going to be one of the few classes without Dogged March. Hopefully that gets brought to us in HoT, because its going to be important for not getting chilled to death.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

… the two id say are the greatest offenders, but that’s because all their high damage kitten has evades on it.

… and then the druid comes with a new condition, that prohibit to dodge >:D BAZINGA!

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Justine.6351

… the two id say are the greatest offenders, but that’s because all their high damage kitten has evades on it.

… and then the druid comes with a new condition, that prohibit to dodge >:D BAZINGA!

Weakness, immobilize?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

If they are on 2 second long charge up staff skills and 240 radii pet effects, it won’t be much help.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

If trapper ranger had more condition application, more access to stealth, free choice of runes, threw out damage when they dodged and several benenificial traits that proced when they dodged/evaded then yeah.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

If trapper ranger had more condition application, more access to stealth, free choice of runes, threw out damage when they dodged and several benenificial traits that proced when they dodged/evaded then yeah.

i dont know of any condi thief builds that have more condition application than a trap ranger, unless they venom share the condis to 4 other people, and even then the ranger has probably got them beat.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Dolt.2731

Dolt.2731

D/D ele is still stupid good, I feel that other than that as long as I really focus on my positioning I can handle most classes. Thieves/ burst guards still get chewed up by over-extending into a BW/ LB#4. mud, etangle combos.

Mesmers are what I have found to be a new problem. I can’t deal with the cc/ stupid burst combos other than SoS. Which only saves you for so long. I can’t get my pet on the actual mes fast enough to make it a fair fight, I either run/ reset with odds still not in my favor or die. Didn’t seem like that a week ago, Had a very easy time sticking to mesmer with channel skills/ pet etc.

Thief can be annoying but still feels like a fair fight.

Other than that I really feel like i lose because of skill, not match ups. But d/d ele is just silly atm.

Ebenezer Smee, Ranger SBI

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

i dont know of any condi thief builds that have more condition application than a trap ranger, unless they venom share the condis to 4 other people, and even then the ranger has probably got them beat.

Thats because its been in the game for less then a day.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

D/D ele is still stupid good, I feel that other than that as long as I really focus on my positioning I can handle most classes. Thieves/ burst guards still get chewed up by over-extending into a BW/ LB#4. mud, etangle combos.

Mesmers are what I have found to be a new problem. I can’t deal with the cc/ stupid burst combos other than SoS. Which only saves you for so long. I can’t get my pet on the actual mes fast enough to make it a fair fight, I either run/ reset with odds still not in my favor or die. Didn’t seem like that a week ago, Had a very easy time sticking to mesmer with channel skills/ pet etc.

Thief can be annoying but still feels like a fair fight.

Other than that I really feel like i lose because of skill, not match ups. But d/d ele is just silly atm.

Well D/D ele is going to be nerfed so….

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

It’s actually quite different even though I get your point.
The problem with Revenant’s skill is that there is nothing that will help you.

Ranger can be Reflected, body blocked (without trait which is more likely than not) or LoS’ed. Ranger does have the counter-play. Revenant’s ability has none, which is compensated with dealing less damage and taking more time to proceed.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

That being said, I don’t think the elite specs are as necissary as a lot of people are acting like, people just haven’t learned the tells on the scarier abilities yet so they’re just eating everything. I really don’t think any prof is that bad overall, daredevil and revenant are probably the two id say are the greatest offenders, but that’s because all their high damage kitten has evades on it.

And early in the game they nerfed other abilities prematurely due to the player base not being experienced why stop a time honored tradition just for the sake of new elites/professions.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Ranger

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I managed to fight em all as glassy LB/GS but guess we’ll have to give it some more time till numbers are tweaked and people are fully learning how to play their ES. I can see how a good reaper can be hard to get away from if you let them stay on you, especially if you dont use your cleanses right. I found it more beneficial to often turn around and run away (kiting) and inbetween their cds LB #1&2 as it is more devastating letting them get close to your for chills, unlike other classes, you just cant sit in melee vs a good reaper.

Vs shiro/herald rev it also hurts if the fight prolongs since I had to save my dodges/lightning reflex/GS #4 for their sword #2. I dont know how a rev works but that type didnt seem to have much mobility, and it was a pain in the kitten to try and down one :P

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

And early in the game they nerfed other abilities prematurely due to the player base not being experienced why stop a time honored tradition just for the sake of new elites/professions.

I’m hoping they’re not going to follow that tradition, at least the first time around no one (well very few) had even the basics down, so ebeeything seemed stronger/weaker than it should’ve. Now people SHOULD know what’s going on, but that still doesn’t seem to be the case for most people.