Once again, Ranger woes

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Once again, I try to give Ranger another chance, and I encounter the same Ranger woes continuing to haunt me.

What can I do others can’t do better in FoTM and dungeons?

It seems as if Engineer is better for DPS + Ranged damage. Bombs for melee, Grenades and rifle for ranged, with tons of tricks up its sleeve.

Ranger? The only use I’ve found so far is Sword+Warhorn versus subject alpha. Which deals moderately good DPS with a 20/20/0/0/30 spec (lots of quickness), but I still find myself being outdone in terms of support and burst.

Help me out here. I really want to do use my Ranger in PvE, but what can I do others can’t do better?

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

You’re not alone, ranger is a very bad class in general compared to others and not just in PvE. The skill ceiling is low, probably the most telegraphed builds out of all the classes, and very easy to counters to all of them. All of this on top of no true support in dungeons and the support that is possible is much better achieved by other classes tha have alot more than the ranger does. This class is in a very bad spot at the moment in the game.

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Mention of Moas:
1. Blue Moa, if traited properly, can give 6s of protection every 24s. Meaning it’s up 1/4 of the time. (That might seem alright at first, but again outclassed by guardian…)

2. Swapping moas on recharge allows them to spam Harmonic Cry on swap (3.3k heal, 240 range), as it resets skill recharge.

Besides those two, what other support do we have?

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

2. Swapping moas on recharge allows them to spam Harmonic Cry on swap (3.3k heal, 240 range), as it resets skill recharge.

I think they fixed the recharge reset way back when they nerfed pet damage.

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Help me out here. I really want to do use my Ranger in PvE, but what can I do others can’t do better?

In a word, nothing.

It’s a harsh reality to have to acknowledge but it’s the truth. In a dungeon group there is no reason to bring a Ranger over a Warrior for DPS and no reason to bring them over a Guardian if you want a support/dps person.

This is on top of the fact that pets don’t work in “dodge to not die” situations which is virtually every high end PvE fight.

We aren’t “worthless” but we are incredibly redundant and that is just about the same thing when you can only party with 4 other people and there are only a couple player roles.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Piedplat.3597

Piedplat.3597

I want my remove bleed fix on my sword!!!!

/Piedplat Ranger80/Palissade Guardian80/Mystyphika Mesmer80/ ArmataTenebrae[AT] BG
http://www.armata.ca/

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Rangers are fine in PvE, this isn’t 6+ months ago when they were bad.

You’re looking at the wrong type of support: Offensive support > Defensive support. Spotter and traited Frost Spirit are great party buffs . There is room for 1 ranger in most speed clear groups. You can also give 1-12 stacks of might + fury, as well as place fire fields for your group. Healing spring is a great water field, removes conditions and can give the party vigor if you trait for it.

20/x/x/10/x for PvE with Sword/Wh + whatever. It’s basically the build you’re forced to use if you want to be helpful in PvE.

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Where have you been?

Ranger isn’t as bad as it used to be, but it isn’t good.

If you want a good class in PvE, play the Warrior, Thief or Elementalist.

Warrior, for example, has amazing versatility and sensible class mechanics. You get bang for your buck, so to speak. You can walk in any given direction as a warrior and find a slot suited just for you in the PvE/PvP world. In other words, they are everything the Ranger was purported to be but never actually became.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Where have you been?

Warrior, for example, has amazing versatility and sensible class mechanics. You get bang for your buck, so to speak. You can walk in any given direction as a warrior and find a slot suited just for you in the PvE/PvP world. In other words, they are everything the Ranger was purported to be but never actually became.

You and I have different definitions of "good’ then. Rangers just take much more effort to play well than a warrior. Just because most people aren’t happy with them doesn’t make them bad. If you want a bad class in PvE look at necromancer.

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Where have you been?

You and I have different definitions of "good’ then. Rangers just take much more effort to play well than a warrior. Just because most people aren’t happy with them doesn’t make them bad. If you want a bad class in PvE look at necromancer.

How in the world does a Ranger take more effort in PvE than a Warrior? You use auto attack, 1 skill, a pet that people would have you believe is fine, and a spirit. This isn’t rocket science.

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Mention of Moas:
1. Blue Moa, if traited properly, can give 6s of protection every 24s. Meaning it’s up 1/4 of the time. (That might seem alright at first, but again outclassed by guardian…)

Besides those two, what other support do we have?

You got Spotter which is +150 precision to the group, Frost spirit which is an xtra 10% dmg to the group, Bear which can remove conditions, signet which removes conditions, hound which heals and throws a regen on group, healing spring, a bear that can tank an add or something for a few minutes to buy people time to heal up. There are actually lots of stuff they bring. Its just not as straight forward as other classes. Rangers are easy to play average or badly but hard to play well which is why there is so much hate around them. It’s not as simple as a warrior where you can smash your face on the keyboard and collect loot :P Oh forgot, we also have red moa which gives fury to the group as well. The catch with ranger is they have to do a lot with the pet. Now if they just made pets dodge when owners dodge, it would work great so we could have them dodge with us on boss big hits.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Where have you been?

Yes and no. If you want a "good’ class you should play a warrior, guard or Mesmer. Thieves are ok but again, if you are trying to min/max, then you want a guard, warrior and Mesmer and then prolly 2 more of said 3. That being said, every class can bring something to the group. Some classes just take more thinking to achieve it vs a straightforward skill like Wall of Reflection for a guard which is a no brainer or time warp for a Mesmer. And how easy dungeons are in this game anyways, its not like you need a specific makeup anyways to complete it. The only bad class in this game is the one the bad player is playing……

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

TurtleDragon.3108

Where have you been?

How in the world does a Ranger take more effort in PvE than a Warrior? You use auto attack, 1 skill, a pet that people would have you believe is fine, and a spirit. This isn’t rocket science.

Because you have a pet to micromanage and an auto attack that you can’t easily break that can also send you flying places unintentionally. Warrior’s don’t have to deal with any of these issues and are naturally tankier for more dps. You used to have to pay attention to where you placed your frost spirit too (not anymore as of last patch)

Or you can just say everything is easy because only 10 skills. That works too.

Once again, Ranger woes

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Where have you been?

Because you have a pet to micromanage and an auto attack that you can’t easily break that can also send you flying places unintentionally. Warrior’s don’t have to deal with any of these issues and are naturally tankier for more dps. You used to have to pay attention to where you placed your frost spirit too (not anymore as of last patch)

Or you can just say everything is easy because only 10 skills. That works too.

Warriors also need to rotate weapons every 4 seconds, maintain their might and fury stacks. The point is it’s PvE in GW2… it barely requires 2 brain cells to touch regardless of the class you play. This class is inferior, not because it’s difficult, but because it’s bad…