Organizing a 10 Ranger VG

in Ranger

Posted by: Crenth.1852

Crenth.1852

A few of us in the [WIND] guild were discussing how we might organize a 10 ranger VG.

Perhaps we should consider the following composition as a starting point:

-1 tank condi druid
-1 condi druid
-1 condi ranger
-4 power rangers running nature magic (for might stacking with frost spirit, perhaps running warhorn as well)
-Rest are straight power rangers

For boon strip, we’ll need to run Sigil of Nullification on at least 2 people, probably.

The two druids should be able to maintain druid buffs reasonably well. With 4 people running traited frost spirit, combined with the fire fields of the condis and some people running warhorn, I think we should be able to maintain 25 might on everyone, especially if people run SotP/WHaO. We might be able to get away with less people running nature magic, or we might need more people – I’m not sure honestly. This will probably require a bit of testing.

This is, of course, a very rough beginning composition, but I’m hoping we could have some discussion around this as a starting point.

Hopefully people would like to participate in this – we’ll probably need to experiment with a few compositions before we find a good one. But a 10 ranger VG should definitely be possible.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

i’d run a few more condi than that, condi dps tends to outshine power in these long fights. if 5 rangers run 1 spirit each and natures vengeance you’d have perm regen, prot, stability, might and vigor and a couple extra frost would boost the might a lot. I think it could be done….

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Doesn’t power do a lot more than condi on VG though, due to the low toughness?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bast Bow.2958

Bast Bow.2958

Where’s the healing druid? Of you making hybrid builds?

Would you want glyph of empowerments? Sun spirit? Spirit of nature for a insta revive maybe?

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

I can help with the build theorycrafting so there’s 25 might and stuff in both parties.

That also means you only need 2 people with Frost Spotter and only 2 druids per party for the Glyph and global GotL. Having 2 berserker Healers and 1 condi druid + tank druid should do the trick.

Anyways, count me in for the project. Also, have you found out whether the boss refreshes the Stripping boon every 10 seconds or does he refresh it after 10 seconds of last strip?

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Call me crazy, but I would have thought a solid composition for an all Ranger party on VG would be like:

Team 1 (melee team)
Healer-Tank Minstrel or Nomad Druid, 3 Berserker Rangers, 1 Berserker Druid
Team 2 (ranged, circle team)
Healer Berserker Druid, 1 Berserker Druid, 3 Viper Rangers

• Healer Druids on both teams, main melee one is also the tank. Healer on team 1 is in nomad or minstrel gear while healer in team 2 is berserker or zealot.
  • Healers have all spirits on utility bar, Water, Sun, Frost, Stone, and Nature with Spotter traited. All other power members have Sharpened Edges & Hidden Barbs traited in Skirmish.
  • 2 Druids on each team for 100% Grace of the Land uptime by altering between the two. 3 Viper Rangers on team 2 with all traps (Flame, Viper, Spike) and traited for traps.
  • Both Power Druids have Tides for knocking back Orbs, Empowerment for extra damage, sigil of nullification for boon removal, and Spirit of Nature for 100% uptime alternating with the Healer Druids. Lack of stability is all right here with Power Druids.
  • Power Druid on Team 1 is double longbow for running green circles. Power Druid on Team 2 has Storm Spirit for 100% vulnerability uptime with Longbow Power Druid on team 1. Power Druids traited Marks-Skirmish-Druid.
  • Longbow Power Druid on team 1 doing team 2 circle duty and Sword Power Druid on team 2 doing team 1 melee fighting for better boon distribution.
  • 3 Power Rangers have a sword in one set and warhorn in the other while using the Quickdraw proc on Hunter’s Call for DPS. Power Druid on Team 2 uses Quickdraw proc on Call of the Wild for boon uptime.
  • Viper Rangers using Skirmish-Wilderness-Beast with traited shouts. Power Rangers using Marks-Skirmish-Nature with Signet of the Wild, Quickening Zephyr, and Sic ’Em. Viper and Power Rangers using Heal as One and Strength of the Pack.
  • Pet selections: Everyone uses Bristleback. Viper & Power Rangers 2nd pet: Lynx. Power Druid 2nd pet: Electric Wyvern. Healers 2nd pet: Fern Hound.

All a theory, though. It could be just total kitten .

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

These are things you need mechanically for VG:

• 4-5 players capable of entering Green Lightnings (Ranged)
  • 2-3 condi DPS
  • minimum of 60 000 DPS per raid (6K dps per target) for which you need 25 might
  • AoE sustain (1 dedicated healer or 2 berserker healers)
  • Boon Strip
  • A lot of CC (this means that Condi players would need Shortbows, pets with CC on swap and probably a spike trap)

You don’t need as much toughness for tank as people think.

in Ranger

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

I’m working towards Viper Equipment and you can count me in either as Viper Ranger or Zealot Druid, if the date is possible for me

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Count me in for zerk ranger.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Ranger

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I’m interested, but Region?

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Region matters only for WvW and probably duels in PvP.
PvE is merged, so everyone’s welcome to tag along.

in Ranger

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

I don’t think EU and US can play together.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I don’t think EU and US can play together.

Oh by region I thought you meant home-server.
That’s a good question. I’m from EU, I guess some others are too.

in Ranger

Crenth.1852

Also, have you found out whether the boss refreshes the Stripping boon every 10 seconds or does he refresh it after 10 seconds of last strip?

I already killed VG this week so I can’t test this myself right now, but a test shouldnt be too hard to pull off – I’d go to blue guard with my rev, strip the boon, and time it. I can use Glint heal to survive the first green circle, hopefully thats enough time, if not, ill figure something out.

Also, to maximize damage, I think all rangers should be running melee builds; if greens are spotted early enough, there is enough time to walk to them, especially since we should have a lot of swiftness. Of course, people on green will be ranging the boss while on green, but no one should really camp range IMO.

I’m personally on NA. It would be cool though if the EU folks also did this.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I’m on NA as well.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Ranger

Crenth.1852

I’ve been looking into the frequency of blue guardians boon application. After some tests, I’m fairly confident (edit: 100% sure) that blue guard’s boon is pulsed every 10 seconds – not 10 seconds after the last boon strip.

Someone suggested to me in-game that the boon is applied when a wisp hits him, but I just tested it, and that’s not right.

Another complication is that blue guard also pulses protection every 10 seconds, along with his invulnerability boon. It seems like we will need 4 sigils of nullification at the least, which is slightly disappointing.

(edited by Crenth.1852)

in Ranger

Posted by: jokobet.6081

jokobet.6081

I’d love to help out but I haven’t raided before so unless you are short on numbers, probably prioritize people who are firm with the mechanics.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You could get 25 might on a full Ranger party if everyone brings a Jungle Stalker. Two traited Frost Spirits would cover for overlap. If everyone was to bring the Tiger as well, you’d have an application of Fury every second, so Remorseless may end up better than PO.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

You could get 25 might on a full Ranger party if everyone brings a Jungle Stalker. Two traited Frost Spirits would cover for overlap. If everyone was to bring the Tiger as well, you’d have an application of Fury every second, so Remorseless may end up better than PO.

I’ve theorycrafted on this before.
And while it might be true, it’s not achievable in practice. Reality will look in a way where 4 players will apply fury at the same time and remorseless would go to waste.

Remorseless is not really worth for PvE ever since PO got buffed in the last patch. If Remorseless was to be better, it would have to proc 7/10 hits which is hard to achieve since a lot of Ranger abilities are multi-hitting ones.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Yeah, toss out Remorseless. Too much extra coordination to make Remorseless work in that scenario anyway that isn’t worth the pay off. That said, if the whole boon removal issue might cause a hiccup, why not move the attempt to Gors?

Either way, a raid boss kill with all Rangers is still a raid kill. So, unless there’s something special about chasing down a techno-colored, duck-faced spaceman over the other ones; I wish the attempt and everyone involved the best of luck.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Coconut.7082

Coconut.7082

Also, have you found out whether the boss refreshes the Stripping boon every 10 seconds or does he refresh it after 10 seconds of last strip?

I already killed VG this week so I can’t test this myself right now, but a test shouldnt be too hard to pull off – I’d go to blue guard with my rev, strip the boon, and time it. I can use Glint heal to survive the first green circle, hopefully thats enough time, if not, ill figure something out.

Also, to maximize damage, I think all rangers should be running melee builds; if greens are spotted early enough, there is enough time to walk to them, especially since we should have a lot of swiftness. Of course, people on green will be ranging the boss while on green, but no one should really camp range IMO.

Either way, 2 people with null sigil should be enough (one could probably keep it on his second set and only switch when needed), it shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to kill him.
Also I think that it would be best to bring as many condis as possible (4~?) because their damage is usually superior.
If you guys need a zealot druid I’d love to join. (also working on my viper set but that depends on some RNG from daily fracs so it could take 2 days up to 2 years.. :p)

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Either way, 2 people with null sigil should be enough (one could probably keep it on his second set and only switch when needed), it shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds to kill him.
Also I think that it would be best to bring as many condis as possible (4~?) because their damage is usually superior.
If you guys need a zealot druid I’d love to join. (also working on my viper set but that depends on some RNG from daily fracs so it could take 2 days up to 2 years.. :p)

Boss pulses protection everytime it pulses immunity (if I remember correctly). So you definitely need at least 3 players with the sigil.
2 for stripping the boon and 1 as a reinforcement.

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I can viper druid fairly well if yall want me. I’m fully geared n ready.

Toon name Tyr Almighty

in Ranger

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

someone must post a vid of this! <3

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in Ranger

Crenth.1852

So it appears that some people did VG with 10 tempests. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/46obz4/ka_10_tempest_vg_kill_no_green_circles/

A bit down in the comments, someone who participated in the kill says that they had 2 sigils of nullification to handle the boon strip. They seemed to have sufficient boon strip for the split phases. I think this should translate well to rangers, unless someone can think of a reason why it might not.

I’m wondering if any NA people would be interested in giving this a shot next weekend. I’ll post a meeting time later this week.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lynnie.7213

Lynnie.7213

I am down for it, as condi player. Never tanked but i could try if the spot is not filled by then.

Tip: make a spreadsheet, so people can fill their names on specific roles for a better organization and get at least 1 or 2 spares, in case someone miss it. Or just not familiar with the mechanics resulting in the whole raid fail over and over.

D O N E E
Necromancer – Ranger WvW/Spvp/Pve/Build/Guide videos:
http://www.youtube.com/donee

(edited by Lynnie.7213)