Pet Customization

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: LanceHavenbay.2067

LanceHavenbay.2067

I would love to see a panel for pet customization, maybe on the next expansion. I’m talking, being able to do this like this:

-Dye your pet. Have dyes unlocked, use them on your pet as well!
>Channels for: Eyes, skin, feather, beak, claws, spikes, fur, tail fur, (Black Widow marking), etc.

-Give them character! Enable us to adjust the creatures Tail size, type, length. Beak type, teeth type. Does it have a scar on it’s face, mittens on its feet? Let us make our pets an extension of our very own characters!

-Outfits. Lol, maybe even give us pet outfits in the gem store. That’s a little silly, but I’m sure people would eat it up! Imagine your Moa with a Santa hat! Or your drake with a top hat! What about your Hyena with a shirt? “Dwayna no! That’s torture!” That would of course, be a town only feature, much like Town Clothes.

Would be kind of silly if you saw a Jingle Bear running at you in Spvp; not like it hasn’t happened before… xD

Ideas? Suggestions? Post them!DD

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

I don’t like this at all. It will break what little immersion there is in the game for me.

Some sort of minor outfits might be ok, lets say collars, but that’s as far as I’d go.
I like my Ranger, I like Pokemon, but pikachi and magikarp have no place in my game. :P

But hey, if people rly want this why not, it might be fun as well.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

I would love to see a panel for pet customization, maybe on the next expansion. I’m talking, being able to do this like this:

-Dye your pet. Have dyes unlocked, use them on your pet as well!
>Channels for: Eyes, skin, feather, beak, claws, spikes, fur, tail fur, (Black Widow marking), etc.

-Give them character! Enable us to adjust the creatures Tail size, type, length. Beak type, teeth type. Does it have a scar on it’s face, mittens on its feet? Let us make our pets an extension of our very own characters!

-Outfits. Lol, maybe even give us pet outfits in the gem store. That’s a little silly, but I’m sure people would eat it up! Imagine your Moa with a Santa hat! Or your drake with a top hat! What about your Hyena with a shirt? “Dwayna no! That’s torture!” That would of course, be a town only feature, much like Town Clothes.

Would be kind of silly if you saw a Jingle Bear running at you in Spvp; not like it hasn’t happened before… xD

Ideas? Suggestions? Post them!DD

I like it. Not sure how additional CUSTOMIZATION can break the immersion. It improves the immersion, as you are able to make something more suited to you personally and unique.

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Elric of Grans.7684

Elric of Grans.7684

I think this would be a nightmare for them to track. They already stated that names are not reserved because it would be an absurd amount of extra data to maintain: this would be even worse.

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

I think this would be a nightmare for them to track. They already stated that names are not reserved because it would be an absurd amount of extra data to maintain: this would be even worse.

That’s very insightful fo you.

Just imagine people.. having to store every single detail for your character, then for EVERY single type of pet you have. They already don’t permanently store pet names for the same reason.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Pet Customization

in Ranger

LanceHavenbay.2067

I do not think you realize this:
Adding pet skins really is not that much work on a server. It is no different than adding new armors the game. The only hard work is creating the system and coding it.

You vastly underestimate the power of a server. xD

Pet Customization

in Ranger

LanceHavenbay.2067

Wayfinder,
Thank you very much for the constructive feedback.

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t like this at all. It will break what little immersion there is in the game for me.

Some sort of minor outfits might be ok, lets say collars, but that’s as far as I’d go.
I like my Ranger, I like Pokemon, but pikachi and magikarp have no place in my game. :P

But hey, if people rly want this why not, it might be fun as well.

What does Pokemon have to do with any of these suggestions? You can’t dye or customize pokemon either, and the only dressup is during the lame musicals. Unless you’re just suggesting that people would dye their leopard yellow and call it Pikachu.

I wouldn’t like pet dying / customization. Dying in particular would just be out of place, what are you going to do, throw your spider into a vat of dye? Thats just wierd, pets aren’t clothes. And stuff like scars or different markings wouldn’t work because you don’t create your pet, you tame it in the wild. Sure, in some way it would be nice to have a pet thats a little different from everyone elses, but it just doesn’t make sense with the way the pets are set up.

Clothing would be the only thing they could really add and have it make sense. Though preferably stuff like collars or armor and not top hats (though I guess they could have both). Or maybe warpaints that would let you paint certain patterns onto your pets and that could be dyed (think the paints on the warhounds in Dragon Age), but nothing too silly or over-the-top like changing the pets natural colors.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Pet Customization

in Ranger

LanceHavenbay.2067

How are hats less intrusive? They dye options will not be ridiculous. They will be small, channels on the creature. Like the widow mark being able to be made blue rather than red.

You are making this far more complex that it is intended to be. Not every single valid inch of the creature will be dyeable. :P

Your lizard will not become a dragon. Your Moa will not be 200 different colors. Maybe his beak will be different. Maybe slightly larger wings.

Please do not assume that everything will be ridiculousness complex and game-wrecking. Another thing to consider, like GW1, dyes will apply different to each creature as their fur, etc will will to keep a certain shade/color. So red would look different on two different creatures.

(edited by LanceHavenbay.2067)

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Graevarg.4871

Graevarg.4871

Consider this: at present we cannot even NAME our pets in a persistent manner because storing a 19-or-so letter name for each pet is considered too much data load. So you have zip/zero/nada/zilch chance of having other customization that would require not only data to store, but all the work needed to create the modeling for all the new features. File this under “check after a cold day in He….”

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Personally, I wouldn’t mind little small accessories, like bows, ties, collars, masks, and even small hats. They could even use some of the same accessories that you can find in the Gem Store! I suppose it would be like in Final Fantasy XIII-2 where you can tack on a little trinket for your monster party members just for decorative purposes. I’d live with that!

Dyes, on the other hand, might need a bit more consideration. I mean, if you see a Polar Bear, which is almost always white, would it be really strange to see all the fur dyed black? Or even dying it something unnatural, like pink!

However, full-blown armor sets for your pet would be kind of overboard, IMO!

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Phenona.9457

Phenona.9457

It would be nice to personalize my pet. Instead of my hyena ( who is my favorite) looking like everyone else’s , I want her to be “mine” and show the “bond” I have with her.

Phenona-Ranger, Somaina-Mes, Shaleo-Theif, Chrytheena-Ele, Milphina-Engi, Purpleppleater Yum- Mes.
Running [Lost] in IoJ

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: TJV.6239

TJV.6239

I would be happy for a small amount of customization – not much though. Collars and different collar types/colors would be good, but anything beyond that would be excessive.

Shalom
Tyler Joe

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i dont like dyes or outfits or anything… but wouldnt mind a few different retextures available for each pet… id love a forest spider with jungle spider colouration

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Letifer.4360

Letifer.4360

I hate town cloth but I would pay for customization if I was able to use it in combat (not just for pets I would love sun glasses as my helm because I don’t like any of the helms currently in the game and play with the helm hidden).

Pet Customization

in Ranger

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Some minor customization would be ok(like colours, collars) but having them be able to look like things from a kids show or game just wouldn’t cut it for me pesonally.
Besides they have quite a few other things that need a prioity fix(es) for the rangers and pets before adding eye candy.

Pet Customization

in Ranger

LanceHavenbay.2067

Graevarg, no.
I’m pretty sure that limit is to prevent people from being able to fit sentences onto their pets rather than names. The average American name is only about 10 characters or less. Text takes up so little space that it is ridiculous. You comment is about as silly as me saying that having 200 work documents would max out my 8gb harddrive.

I’d love for someone to link me to the official announcement that pet names is just “too much data.” We wouldn’t be having Halloween if that was true. TOO MUCH DATA. You mining 1 ore, puts out for more data than a name. Each strike must calculate what chance you have to receive a gem etc. It must track you -1 your equipment, it must add the item to your inventory, etc. When I worked with Starsiege Tribes: RPG mod, renaming pets was as simple as having a text file that listed each pets name. When you typed #savepetname, it saved “LanceHavenbay: Petnameis; Joey” end of story. And then you had the server save a backup file in case things went sour.

I really would like to know which developer said that it would be too much data to have pet names. Saying names take up too much data is wholly untrue. Think about it. Compare text data with even data. If text data made a dent, Guild Wars 2 would not be able to be developed past its current state.

Ari Kagura, you missed my post.
“They dye options will not be ridiculous. They will be small, channels on the creature. Like the widow mark being able to be made blue rather than red.
You are making this far more complex that it is intended to be. Not every single valid inch of the creature will be dyeable. :P”
The polar bear would not be black. Pleeeaasseee read before you post. A polar bear example would be: Large/small body size scale, nose length scale, claw scare, eye width scale. Making his fur more shaggy, of fine. Is he dusty? Does he have a scar on his face? A collar on his neck?
Each pet will no have identical customization. A polar bear must be white. Just in the same wear armor was dyed in Guild Wars 2, your colors/features will not misrepresent the creature from what is is.
Examples of customization:
-Snout size/length slider.
-Eye width slider
-Claw size slider
-Fur/feather pattern options
-Fur (limited) colors.
-Bluish white rather than solid white, dirty white. etc. (Polar bear)
-Tail length slider
-Horn length slider
-Horn (limited) colors
-Facial/body scars/markings. (Discrete.)
-Collars, piercings.
-Festive hats (Santa hat for your polar bear, moa etc.)