Pet Names...

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Miszou.3158

Miszou.3158

I’m a new player (just bought the game over Christmas) and I’ve just run into the Ranger Pet Naming bug, that I’m sure everyone here is already aware of.

Are there any plans to actually fix this, because quite honestly it’s pretty much destroyed the enjoyment I was getting out of playing. I don’t want to sound melodramatic here, but half the fun was running around with a faithful companion, not a “Juvenile {generic beast}”

Sure, it’s not game-breaking, but it is pretty sloppy. I found a thread from 2012 complaining about this and it is unfathomable to me how it can remain an obvious issue for so long.

edit: dam-with-an-n is apparently a swear word. Awesome.

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Vaxx.3178

Vaxx.3178

Anet “cant” fix it, according to them.

Not to rain on your parade, but soon you realize pets are just disposable and not worth naming anyway. They don’t grow in size with levels, they don’t learn any new skills, they are very bland and generic.

One way to save a name is to have the same pet for land and water. I.E. a river drake as a water pet, with custom name, and one used as a land pet will keep their name. As long as you don’t change out the water pet drake, you can switch the land out and it will remain with the custom name.

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

I hear the fix is scheduled for April 1st.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Miszou.3158

Miszou.3158

Anet “cant” fix it, according to them.

heh… I hate to do this but, as a software developer myself (eww, see what you made me do!) I call BS on “can’t” fix it.

Not to rain on your parade, but soon you realize pets are just disposable and not worth naming anyway. They don’t grow in size with levels, they don’t learn any new skills, they are very bland and generic.

Well sure, but still… you’d think a rename feature would like, you know… actually rename something wouldn’t you? They might as well just remove the renaming ability completely and replace it with a fixed “Miszou’s Pet”, which is only marginally less awful than “Juvenile {generic beast}”. At least that would maintain some semblance of identity.

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Just take a moment to name a new pet whenever you switch it into an active slot.

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

as a programmer, i can honestly say that claiming that they can’t fix this only proves one of two things:

1. they’re lying and are too lazy to make the changes necessary (and no idea why they were not in to begin with)
2. they suck even more than i do at designing/programming, in which case they should have never been hired by anet

not trying to be rude or insulting, but sometimes the facts speak for themselves

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

Chances are everyone wants to name their pet “Fluffy”. And tens of thousands of players would be heartbroken, because they were really set on their pet being named Fluffy. I don’t mind. I just make sure to if I switch out pets, that I name them before I head into combat. It bugs some people, and others it’s just a distraction before heading out into combat. To me, it’s a meh event.

Meh, must change pet name to what I had before. Not to worried about it, because it’s not a “critical” action or fix to deal with at the moment.

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Agree… This is annoying and if they fix it I’ll cahange pets more often than I do today. I cannot stand running around wit “juvenile xxxx” so, yes I actually RE-TYPE the names Every time I swap. How many times have I done that now… Probably a couple of thousands….. Ther far mor fun things to this game that having to do that allthe time. And – it ruins the “bond feeling” with the pet…

Kima & Co

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

Unfortunately pet names is one of many things that ‘cant’ be fixed.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Babychoochoo.5690

Babychoochoo.5690

I’ve said it before, but I remain completely baffled that something so simple that’s been present in MMOs going back almost 10+ years now is suddenly impossible to do in a game released in 2012.

Even if one were to make massive leaps in design and technology over the course of development which, let’s be honest, GW2 didn’t exactly do, it should still be a relatively simple fix in the grand scheme of things.

The lack of permanent pet names is just such a kittening weird omission.

Pet Names...

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Man, if pet names stuck permanently, I would name each and every beast in my Ranger’s menagerie with a unique name. XD