Pet does not move behind target, does yours?

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

As title says, my pet does not move behind the enemy I send it to attack…

in Ranger

Posted by: aeneq.1760

aeneq.1760

Stupid question but do they have aggro and are the pet melee range?

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Mine don’t always. I think recalling then and sending them back helps a bit.

in Ranger

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

" Melee pets now attempt to move behind enemies as long as they are not actively being targeted by the creature."

Could this be why

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Remember they have to be melee pets and not have aggro. If you send them in with F1 then they likely have aggro. Try putting them on passive, engaging a mob, and then setting them to active.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I haven’t had any issues yet, but then again i have my pet on passive by default and tend to send them in AFTER i have already started lighting up the enemy with my longbow…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

solrik.6028

There is an enemy in front of me. It hasn’t been aggroed yet and I make my stalker attack the enemy. My stalker moves up to the enemy and attacks it. The pet did not move behind the enemy (i.e. so it’s between me and my pet)
-Tried setting pet on avoid combat and the other
-Tried pressing f1 twice or more
-Tried pressing F1, F3 and then F1

in Ranger

aeneq.1760

As stated before this only works if the mob isnt targetting the pet, suggest you aggroing the mob and send in the pet after.

This has a slight interesting sideeffect, if you aggro the mob and the pet moves behind and then takes aggro then it should turn its back to you/your party.

/Q

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

As stated before this only works if the mob isnt targetting the pet, suggest you aggroing the mob and send in the pet after.

This has a slight interesting sideeffect, if you aggro the mob and the pet moves behind and then takes aggro then it should turn its back to you/your party.

/Q

Good point, useful in conjunction with shortbow and the hunter’s tactics trait.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

/Q

Beary Bearington has been an amazing tanker for me on my glassy longbow, makes it sooooooo much easier to get +1000 units away + back shots now…

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

/Q

Beary Bearington has been an amazing tanker for me on my glassy longbow, makes it sooooooo much easier to get +1000 units away + back shots now…

Do you mean you’ve tried it already and it’s working consistently? That would definitely be a big boost with hunter’s tactics and longbow.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

/Q

Do you mean you’ve tried it already and it’s working consistently? That would definitely be a big boost with hunter’s tactics and longbow.

I just shoot the mob once (hunters shot) so it’s kitten at me, bear runs behind and smacks it in the back of the face and the mob almost always goes, “That was mean!” and turns around to try to kill beady.

in Ranger

solrik.6028

/Q

The pet does not move behind. It just ends up behind because it stops when it gets into attack ranger and the mob has a little time to get closer to me. It will move through my pet and my pet will hit him after it moved through. The pet will aggro the mob and the mob will turn around. This has been possible for a long time.

The point here is that the pet does not move behind the mob if it isn’t aggroed

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

But it does, tested and confirmed. Only at the initial state of combat though.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: iKeostuKen.2738

iKeostuKen.2738

My jaguar does.

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Reef Drake, Jaguar, Wolf and Melandru Stalker all do – consistently, 20:20 attempts with each one.

You get aggro (any attack works) and then hit F1, your pet will run behind whatever you’re thumping on, and start eating it’s backside.

I’ll test a few other pets, but those are the ones I use the most.

in Ranger

solrik.6028

But it does, tested and confirmed. Only at the initial state of combat though.

That is really weird… It may be a trait.

R = Ranger
X = Enemy
P = Pet

Initial positions:
RP_________X (Enemy faces random direction)
Sending pet:
R___P______X (Same)
Pet arrives:
R_________PX (Pet attacks)
Case 1 (Enemy start running towards me):
R_______X_P_ (Enemy faces me)
pet hits again:
R_______XP__ (Enemy turns around to my pet)
Case 2 (Enemy attack the pet back):
R_________PX (Enemy faces me&pet)

I tested with Stalker, Jaguar, Drake, Bear
EDIT: As in a trait may cause a bug

(edited by solrik.6028)

in Ranger

solrik.6028

Reef Drake, Jaguar, Wolf and Melandru Stalker all do – consistently, 20:20 attempts with each one.

You get aggro (any attack works) and then hit F1, your pet will run behind whatever you’re thumping on, and start eating it’s backside.

I’ll test a few other pets, but those are the ones I use the most.

As said, that was possible before. The only reason why that happens is because the mob has time to run through the pet while the pet’s attack animation is played.
EDIT: The pet then has the aggro and enemy attacks it instead

in Ranger

aeneq.1760

Sounds like you expect the pet to run to the mob, run behind him and initate combat. Although I would prefer that behavior that isnt the way itll work, it will only run behind the mob if it is targeting you.

I would be curious to see its behavior if the pet is attacking a mob that targets another player. Would probably not run behind the mob since “behind” gets weird if the target isnt the pets master.

/Q

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

Sounds like you expect the pet to run to the mob, run behind him and initate combat. Although I would prefer that behavior that isnt the way itll work, it will only run behind the mob if it is targeting you.

I would be curious to see its behavior if the pet is attacking a mob that targets another player. Would probably not run behind the mob since “behind” gets weird if the target isnt the pets master.

/Q

It should always run behind the mob regardless of the position of the ranger or any other players. The point of the change is to put the pet out of the line of damage of most cleave attacks. Obviously 360 degree cleaves will hit them anyway.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Yeah, this change was really hit or miss for me. It seemed like my pet didn’t care about this as soon as it took damage (even when I pressed F3 then F1 again). I wasn’t able to get it to the move behind the target mid combat (not even with pet swaps). Once they took a stray hit, they seemed to ignore this new AI improvement. This is in a dungeon scenario where my party members took priority over my pet, the only hits on my pet were cleaves and AoEs.

I think they could do a little more work on this one so it’s possible to get the pet to move behind the target even during combat. I understand why they wouldn’t do it when your soloing, but in group situations, even if your pet gets hit, you generally want it behind the target most of the time.

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

Shiren, I’m pretty sure this intended behaviour – at least for now. I can agree that it would be nice if the pet kept trying to move behind the mob even during combat when it doesn’t have aggro.
If on the other hand the pet do have aggro, it should not try to move behind the mob, because then that would be all it would do.

Let’s hope the devs keeps working on the pets, from the sound of things this was a good start.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I’ve done 5 instances since the patch everytime my pet wasn’t face tanking a mob for us he’d run around the target and begin to attack their back, it makes keeping the pet up stupid easy.

in Ranger

solrik.6028

After some testing I realised the pet only moves behind if I have the aggro and then I send the pet in. I can see why this is as it is, but I would like to see it keep the enemy between us 2.
E.G
PET______________
____ENEMY_______
___________RANGER

in Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I’ve done 5 instances since the patch everytime my pet wasn’t face tanking a mob for us he’d run around the target and begin to attack their back, it makes keeping the pet up stupid easy.

That’s how it should have been from the start then, right?

Now all we’d need is basic resistance to AoE (with increased resistance through a trait maybe?) and we might have pets similar to ‘that other MMO’ who won’t die in less than a second because of random AoE and faulty AI.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

That’s how it should have been from the start then, right?

Now all we’d need is basic resistance to AoE (with increased resistance through a trait maybe?) and we might have pets similar to ‘that other MMO’ who won’t die in less than a second because of random AoE and faulty AI.

Idk, my pets haven’t died, end of story, since the patch, then again I’m running a signet BM build atm so my pet has regen, armor increase, perma prot and is just an all around BA, now if only I had some berserker armor to compliment the build….

in Ranger

OGDeadHead.8326

They will still die. Just go to an aoe intensive fight and it won’t matter if they stand behind the mob or not, or fights with oneshotting boss mechanics (like Grenth).
Things have improved for sure, but make no mistake – pets are NOT immortal now.

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

They will still die. Just go to an aoe intensive fight and it won’t matter if they stand behind the mob or not, or fights with oneshotting boss mechanics (like Grenth).
Things have improved for sure, but make no mistake – pets are NOT immortal now.

Bears are, if you take 30 BM, sig of stone, sig of wild and guard the bear will not die, he can tank 2 Karkas Simultaneously without me needing to heal him

in Ranger

Daemon.4295

I switched to a full gc after the patch to test a signet build. Ran CoF with my pets on attack mode the entire time and they only died once at the acolytes and once at the final boss, and both times it was my fault for bad microing.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -