Pet mechanic overhaul(a simpler solution)

in Ranger

Posted by: Frozenpants.5491

Frozenpants.5491

Greeting fellow rangers.

Like many of you here i have been playing a ranger since launch and i have very much enjoyed this class and it’s always been my go to character for enjoyment, the skill set is enjoyable and the weapons rather diverse.. although a little lack luster in some cases.

Still the one downside has always been how unique mechanics.. and that’s pets, having returned to GW recently after a long break.. i was excited to see what changes and fixs rangers got.. only to find pets were still as broken as ever.. and this last patch has only made things worse, by taking our already broken mechanic and weakening it.

Although we have been asking for a fix to pet survivable and AI.. or even more control, it seems to be a long term hope as i don’t think it’s within an easy time frame for the devs to fix pets in this manner.. but i may have come up with an easier solution.. that still keeps a unique pet mechanic to our class without the need to depend on them.

The general idea is to split pets into 3 new types and focus almost purely on their current F2 ability’s. These activate ability’s would work similarly to the warrior burst skills, either temporarily summoning our pet to perform them or “activating” our docile pet to go perform them. ( I put this in as an option for rangers that still would like to have a pet run alongside them ).

The pets would appear and perform their skill and then despawn or return to the ranger and become docile again until the next cast. The mechanic for the cooldown on these ability could be based on a simple timer.. or perhaps a new resource simaler to fury.. but working on damage taken rather then dealt, as the range gets in more danger.. the pets desire to come to his aid increases, thus lowering the cooldown of the f2 abilty so it’s ready to cast again sooner.

The new pet types.. or ability types would be split into 3 areas. -Burst skills-,-Crowd Control- and -Utility/Buffing-, i will list for you a few examples of each type of skill.

Burst Skills:
——————————————————————————-
(Pve burst)
Hyena: On activation the ranger summons a hyena at the targets location, the Hyena performs a summoning howl for 5 seconds summoning an ally every second that bites and damages your foe for a total of X-Damage(x15).

This would be what you might call a “Pve burst” skill, designed for a stationary foe that does not move so you’re able to get off the full damage. If used in pvp,the burst could be avoided by kiting the summoned hyenas or simply interrupting the howl of the “Alpha” hyena and breaking the spell. Due to it’s difficultly getting it off, this would be a high dps burst.

(Mixed burst)
Drake: On activation the ranger summons a X-Drake at the target location, unleashing a breath attack on all enemy’s caught in the cone.

This would work pretty much the same as current drakes activated ability, this type of ability would be both a pve and pvp ability best used for group damage.. but with some setup to keep your targets in place required. I used X-drake because the drake could either be chosen for the breath status effect.. or perhaps random depending on the zone you’re in(Really more of a lore idea, to call on the local wildlife ect)

(Quick burst)
Raven: On activation the ranger calls down a Raven/Flock of Ravens to deal a quick burst of damage to you foe and bleed them.

This is pretty much the current F2.. but with altered damage numbers, the idea of quick skills would be for pvp.. almost instant and easy to land.. but with lower damage numbers then some of the other burst skills that require more setup.

in Ranger

Frozenpants.5491

Ressing this post for more text

in Ranger

Frozenpants.5491

Another Res for more text

in Ranger

Frozenpants.5491

Since im a nab and can’t figure out how to edit my reserved posts.. i shall continue here and move on to the next type of skill.

Crowd control.
———————————————————————————-

(Single target)
Bear: On activation the rangers calls forth a ferocious bear to maul his target,knocking them them and pinning them in place for X-seconds dealing X-damage.

The idea behind this type of cc is strong single target CC for pvp use, this type of cc can be broken by the cced player with a stun break.. or interrupted by his teammate ( Think of the graveling pin in AC)

(Aoe CC)

Wolf : Summons a wolf at the target location, howling and fearing all enemy’s caught within for x-seconds.

Pretty much the current wolf howl.. you get the idea.

Spider : sprays a sticky residue on the crown snaring and slowing the movement of foes for X-seconds.

Like an extra mud zone.

(Special CC)

Devourer : Burrows underground and unearths rock and soul to create a wall that foes cannon pass for X-seconds.

Basically this would be like the guardian stakitten ability, the idea of special Cc’s is to give rangers some kind of cool new CC, or borrow some from other professions.

============

And finally onto Utility/Boons abilitys.

(Boons)

Moa : Summons your move at your target location, performing a screech that grants X-boon to your party.

Pretty much as it says, go go moa.

(ultility)

Jaguar: Summons a Jaguar at your target location, roaring and giving your party the blessings of the hunter, granting stealth to all nearby allys for x-Seconds.

Again this would be a way to give rangers some other cool buffs that other professions get to use, or some newly thought up ones for the ranger.

(Fun)
Pig : Forages cool stuff.

Eh.. i like it

And thats all folks, please comment and let me know what you think.. and forgive any grammer/spelling mistakes, writing this with a lack of sleep.. will go over and fix mistakes if i can figure out how to edit posts. Thanks for reading.

in Ranger

Frozenpants.5491

I forgot to mention Rampage as one, if kept in game it could operate how it does currently.. and allow the ranger to fight along side his pet for a set amount of time,however since the removal of pets as a permanent feature would lead to an increase in the rangers personal dps, some adjusts to the pets damage would be needed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dembian.9257

Dembian.9257

I’m not an 80 Ranger currently in the 70’s but from reading the ranger forums the pet overhaul doesn’t need to be a pet overhaul

Either

A: Go the Wow Route and reduce pets aoe damage taken by 75% for PvE dungeons/fractals only

B: Give Rangers another button that would act as a dodge mechanic for there pet

Also maybe increase the speed of pets so they can auctally hit moving things:P

theres obviously bigger issues than just that with the ranger but one of those two fixes is a step in the right direction atleast in my eyes and from what i’ve read/ been told by rangers

in Ranger

Frozenpants.5491

The issue with the pets being unable to hit moving targets has been an issue since launch.. and one they are unable to fix, it’s a problem with the coding if i remember correctly.

As for the aoe thing, that would seem like an easy fix to me to, im not sure why they have not done it yet.. it’s another thing that has been suggested many times.

in Ranger

Posted by: Abrilete.1439

Abrilete.1439

The issue with the pets being unable to hit moving targets has been an issue since launch.. and one they are unable to fix, it’s a problem with the coding if i remember correctly.

As for the aoe thing, that would seem like an easy fix to me to, im not sure why they have not done it yet.. it’s another thing that has been suggested many times.

The pets use nearly the same AI the enemy mobs use, that’s why they can’t hit while moving, jump up/down, follow strange paths…

Also, before release (don’t know if it was during alpha or beta), it is said that mobs could walk away from AOE’s, but someone thought this made them too powerful and removed it from their code.

And that’s the reason why we have to stick with such st*p*d companions.

Baruch Bay, Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

They haven’t given Rangers a permant aoe reduction for pets because it would be OP. Same for the pet moving issue. IF pet only missed when players dodge it would be OP. Ranger complain because pets die to fast in zergs. While melee rangers don’t have this issue as much. Why because the don’t send there pets into the middle of the zerg. They pick thier targets and the pets follow.

Range Rangers should consider their targets position more.

Rangers get a damage reduction for thier pets by way of guard. You can also trait in to aoe reduction. For dungeons I do wish pet followed me closers to avoid aoe a little better. But even as it is now I can keep my pet up 80% to 100% of the time depending on dungeon.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Frozenpants.5491

The problem is that pets make up for 40% a ranger dps, so any situation where you cannot use your pet (Pathing errors,ledges,zergs ect) you’re only doing 60% of the dmg you should be, no other profession suffers from this.

in Ranger

Posted by: Raesin.2908

Raesin.2908

They haven’t given Rangers a permant aoe reduction for pets because it would be OP. Same for the pet moving issue. IF pet only missed when players dodge it would be OP.

I really hate to compare to WoW, but will do so because Blizz have managed to get their pet system almost perfect (as would be expected for a 9 year old game).
The AoE damage reduction would only have to be for PvE, where would that be OP? Even if it was for PvP too, why would that be OP? Should other classes be able to instantly reduce a Rangers damage by 40%?
With the moving issue, again why would it be OP? If they changed it so pets only did about 20% of the Rangers overall damage it would be more of a nuisance than life-threatening. Pets not hitting moving targets is a broken pet, what about the PvE implications when mobs move and the pet becomes useless?

Again, pets in WoW can hit moving targets but in comparison to the hunter or any other player for that matter, do minuscule damage.
I hate comparing this game to WoW, but there’s no shame in learning from those who have had the experience and who have succeeded.