Pet renamed bug

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Drysdale.3826

Drysdale.3826

Hey ArenaNet, pay someone 20 minutes of over time to fix the pet name bug so I don’t have to rename pets each time I log in…or just take the feature away.

Ranger players already aren’t big fans of you, at least you can fix annoying bugs.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

ima link you to this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Pet-Amnesia-An-annoying-bug

The last comment:

it’s not a bug, this was intended. the reason behind this (and someone has mentioned it, possibly a dev, I’ll dig it up and link it later) is that each name you make for your own character utilizes a name database. now imagine for each individual pet you have you made unique names. That means new databases have to be created for each individual pet. Now I assume you have never programmed a database before, and I have only done non-professional maintenance on one, but they would have to make sections for each animal type, break it down to specific animals, then link individual names per animal to individual accounts, all the while making sure there is no redundancy of names and other redundant info…..it’s not really feasible, especially when it takes you all of 25 seconds to retype that name. If it takes you any longer, get typing lessons or choose a shorter name lol. now before you put the torches to me, I do think it would be prudent to make the actual pet slots name-bound, that way even if you swap, the same name is still there and saved in the same spot, only now you have a new pet (although this would still require new assignments, I think it would be much much less labor intensive). So there’s your answer. For now stop being lazy, they just don’t have the resources to do it. -Nay of the Ether.8913

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Drysdale.3826

Drysdale.3826

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Pet-Amnesia-An-annoying-bug

The last comment:

it’s not a bug, this was intended. the reason behind this (and someone has mentioned it, possibly a dev, I’ll dig it up and link it later) is that each name you make for your own character utilizes a name database. now imagine for each individual pet you have you made unique names. That means new databases have to be created for each individual pet. Now I assume you have never programmed a database before, and I have only done non-professional maintenance on one, but they would have to make sections for each animal type, break it down to specific animals, then link individual names per animal to individual accounts, all the while making sure there is no redundancy of names and other redundant info…..it’s not really feasible, especially when it takes you all of 25 seconds to retype that name. If it takes you any longer, get typing lessons or choose a shorter name lol. now before you put the torches to me, I do think it would be prudent to make the actual pet slots name-bound, that way even if you swap, the same name is still there and saved in the same spot, only now you have a new pet (although this would still require new assignments, I think it would be much much less labor intensive). So there’s your answer. For now stop being lazy, they just don’t have the resources to do it. -Nay of the Ether.8913

A. What makes you think that player has intimate knowledge of how AN programs their game? How do other games accomplish this, but AN can’t? Who cares if there is overlap in pets name, not like toon names where multiple names would be a problem.

B. If that is true, just have it store on the client side in a file. Fixed.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Ahh if that is true then they were just lazy and or incompetent.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

swiftpaw.6397

The last comment:

A. What makes you think that player has intimate knowledge of how AN programs their game? How do other games accomplish this, but AN can’t? Who cares if there is overlap in pets name, not like toon names where multiple names would be a problem.

A.) What makes you think I think that a player has intimate knowledge?
B.) You make assumptions.
C.) Just letting you know this question has been asked before and that’s where people have responded. No need to be so aggressive <3

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

I don’t switch pets too often but when I do this is a little annoying one thing I like though is my 2 devourers I use in water combat keeps their name on land if I switch to them there

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

My solution is…I don’t use very many pets. I tend to just stick with Romeo, Lancelot, Eros, Leila, Galen and Caesar. I thought about making a word file to keep the names stored with which pet it is but it’d be too much of a hassle to pull it up every time I wanted to swap pets…

I guess I’ll eventually get around to using more pets and ingraining their names in my head, but it takes me long enough to decide a name as it is…

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

A. Okay. Let’s look at it this way, when naming a pet we can use 27 different characters (alphabet and space). This means your pet’s name takes up a minimum of 6 bits per letter. A pet has a name 19 letters long (IIRC), so REGARDLESS of how large your pet’s name is, in a direct access database the slot for pet name takes up 112 bits of space. Four pets therefore takes up 448 bits of space and that’s PER RANGER. Now if they wanted to do more for you, your pet names will take up kilobytes of space, whether you actually rename every pet or not. Anet may have some crazy set up where your pet names are dumped into a larger database and your character themselves only has a reference number, but the bottom line is that minimum of 448 bits has to be stored somewhere.

B. Yes storing it client side is probably the most efficient solution. But I know they don’t do that, because I’ve never had to reenter my pet names.

Strangely I’ve found that my pets names are remembered. I don’t think it’s saved locally either, because I’ve NEVER had to retype my pets names, even when switching between my laptop and computer (that don’t do any file sharing trash). So… Yeah, you’ve got a similar bug to one of my guildies.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The honest truth is this “design decision” actually results in me swapping pets around a lot less. Pet variety is kind of like utility skill choice, but if you ever bother to rename your pets it becomes another tedious exercise you do just to name your pets. When I play more seriously I only ever have juveniles with me because I got sick of microing their names. It got to the point where I started using pets in the aquatic slots so the game would remember their names when I slot them into terrestrial slots.

Low hanging fruit, but another one of the things which gets annoying. Currently my pet remembers where I tamed it but it doesn’t remember it’s name. I don’t need the game to remember the names for every single possible pet, but it would be nice to have more than 2-4 pet names remembered so when I rotate around my favourite eight pets I don’t have to constantly name them if I want them to have names.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I am curious how it works in other games.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

HotHit.6783

I am curious how it works in other games.

For pokémon it’s a major part of the game so I suppose that’s right out. A lot of MMOs only allow you to use one pet at a time, like in Guildwars 1. Hmm…

The only game off the top of my head that’s an MMO and has as effective a pet system is Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE. Every single player could have 5+ demons available to fight along side them, but that system encouraged fighting with one as well because it cost to switch demons a huge sum if you aren’t aligned with them. Unfortunately, people would just have to take my word for it that my Phoenixes were called Nick and Nix, because there’s no nicknaming system, but I don’t think Amaterasu would appreciate you calling her “crazyfanlady” or Michael “Wings”.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

The last comment:

These are just assumptions by players. Until I see an actual quote from a dev I don’t buy it. And you know what, even if it’s true then I’d say they created a really crappy system. WoW is an old game and you can rename every single pet you have. And there are countless pets to tame, way more than this game. They are even increasing stable size to 50 pets. If an old game can do this, then a modern game should be able to kitten well do this.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Well since apparently what I said wasn’t valid enough, they at least know about it, took me a whole 2 seconds to find, so everyone spamming about “zomg pet names are broken, fix it now!” ….they know about the names. Go read the bug section or take 2 seconds to do a search:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Saving-pet-names/first#post56611

She didn’t say “we’re aware of this bug, or this issue” she said “aware of the request”. Been that way ever since. Personally I’d worry more about unused traits, bugs, and worthless skills before the pet names, especially since you can just retype it yourself. Not like you can swap them up during combat anyway, so you have the time to do it. Stop being lazy. As far as the other quote I said I saw, had to have been in an interview, which I can’t find now but I will keep looking since my word isn’t good enough.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

A. Okay. Let’s look at it this way, when naming a pet we can use 27 different characters (alphabet and space). This means your pet’s name takes up a minimum of 6 bits per letter. A pet has a name 19 letters long (IIRC), so REGARDLESS of how large your pet’s name is, in a direct access database the slot for pet name takes up 112 bits of space. Four pets therefore takes up 448 bits of space and that’s PER RANGER. Now if they wanted to do more for you, your pet names will take up kilobytes of space, whether you actually rename every pet or not. Anet may have some crazy set up where your pet names are dumped into a larger database and your character themselves only has a reference number, but the bottom line is that minimum of 448 bits has to be stored somewhere.

B. Yes storing it client side is probably the most efficient solution. But I know they don’t do that, because I’ve never had to reenter my pet names.

Strangely I’ve found that my pets names are remembered. I don’t think it’s saved locally either, because I’ve NEVER had to retype my pets names, even when switching between my laptop and computer (that don’t do any file sharing trash). So… Yeah, you’ve got a similar bug to one of my guildies.

Your pet names are “saved” if and ony if you have the same pets equipped underwater. You’re welcome.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

The last comment:

These are just assumptions by players. Until I see an actual quote from a dev I don’t buy it. And you know what, even if it’s true then I’d say they created a really crappy system. WoW is an old game and you can rename every single pet you have. And there are countless pets to tame, way more than this game. They are even increasing stable size to 50 pets. If an old game can do this, then a modern game should be able to kitten well do this.

wow has more money and can spend it on better talent. Would be nice if things like this could actually be put in place. As well as things like a test server, you know the basics.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

HotHit.6783

Your pet names are “saved” if and ony if you have the same pets equipped underwater. You’re welcome.

If only Jellyfish could fight on land.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This is what I got from another thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Ranger-pet-names-resetting-Merged/first#post1468803

From that thread:
(Thread post by a player)
MokahTGS.7850:
This is actually not a bug, it is working as intended. It is not optimal, but to save the names of all of your pets (read: all of everyone’s pets) would require another large name database that ANet did not create. Currently the pet name feature saves the name in the slot, not the pet, so changing out the pet type resets the slot name.
Perhaps someday they will change this, but it is not a bug.

(Answer to MokahTGS by a Dev).
Jason King
Live Response Embed
This is pretty much exactly what’s going on.
Tl;dr: we may change this some day, but it’s not going to happen in the near future, and it’s not a bug.
ArenaNet Community Team
— Live Response Embed —

Not saying its a good system, just saying its not a bug and this is the reason they say why the game doesn’t have this feature.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

Is it possible to just drop the Juvenile from the pet’s nameplate once it’s tamed and in use? That’s really the only thing that bugs me.

I am not knocking ANet, I’m honestly curious: how do WoW and other MMOS handle named pet stables? Is it really a server issue?

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I’d rather have a saved name per slot frankly, regardless of the actual pet. The current systm totally ruins immersion.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

I’d rather have a saved name per slot frankly, regardless of the actual pet. The current systm totally ruins immersion.

Yeah, I could run with that.

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

The last comment:

Please stop quoting that post.

I don’t even know where to start to explain how wrong , on how many levels that is.
Even assuming there was the issue with the DB ( which means anet is using tech from 1998 ), the information could be easily put in a local file, or uploaded on a cloud with ease.
I could probably afford renting the needed cloud storage (on a third party provider) for petnames for ALL gw2 players EVER with my crappy minimum wage, and still pay rent…

Pet renamed bug

in Ranger

swiftpaw.6397

The last comment:

Please stop quoting that post.

I don’t even know where to start to explain how wrong , on how many levels that is.
Even assuming there was the issue with the DB ( which means anet is using tech from 1998 ), the information could be easily put in a local file, or uploaded on a cloud with ease.
I could probably afford renting the needed cloud storage (on a third party provider) for petnames for ALL gw2 players EVER with my crappy minimum wage, and still pay rent…

Funny everyone jumped on the ‘oh you’re wrong’ bandwagon. Please stop quoting my one post :P

As stated previously, I do not have any opinion on the views of this player. I simply added it because I wanted the OP to know that there is an exact same post as his, with responses already on it, the quote was the last response to that post.

-_-

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)