Petless Ranger Please. Yes, this again.

in Ranger

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Oh ok, then please kindly ask all professions to stop bouncing attacks/ condi’s from pets too

in Ranger

Posted by: Jheuloh.4109

Jheuloh.4109

I’ve seen this discussion several times before throughout the history of Gw2, from pre-release onward. I’m generally partial to the beast-master archetype, Gw2 being no exception, but I also get why people would be so repelled by it. An overly long analysis of why it is, and how it could be approached.

Hunter/Ranger pets typically represent a secondary yet mandatory feature that’s fairly difficult to see the unique benefit of, with a high failure cost for mismanagement or bad positioning, and at first Gw2 pets weren’t given anything to compensate for their lowered mobility, such as the doubled health, AOE damage reduction, and the extremely recent lunging while auto attacking & cast speed buffs. The former two don’t exist in PVP when that is perhaps where it would be most important to actually have it.

Gw2’s release had a a weak and repelling introduction for the playerbase at large to the pet mechanic, especially as pets were very clearly inheriting the functionality and behavior of trash mobs with standardized attributes and abilities, and desires for tighter control (such as choosing which abilities go on auto or manual cast, rather than the existing “super power” idea of the f2 ability) have been directly rebuffed.

Even giving them a permanent name was called an impossibility until absurdly late in Gw2’s history, and they lost the growth mechanic they had in Gw1 where after achieving level milestones (11 and 15) they would get noticeably larger. Gw2 basically hit on all the usual difficulties of MMORPG hunter/ranger pets, lost some of the thematic nuances & charms of the first game which also tend to be present in other MMOs (full bluntness: WoW), and introduced its own flaws on top of all that.

Not to mention, almost all of these QoL changes came after absolute tidal waves of rage, and quite often in a too little too late manner.

My summary of the petless idea:

Assuming it’s not woefully complex to alter the properties of abilities, I don’t think it’s necessarily that impossible mechanically (but not practical.) The weapon abilities that have some effect for the pet itself to utilize could possibly be restructured so that the ranger takes that effect instead, such as Maul granting the ranger an equivalent of 2 attacks of opportunity instead of 1 (or something else to more closely represent the actual rather than theoretical bonus.)

Beast-mastery trait-line & shouts would require a more significant rework, and a rename & re-description, but even then it doesn’t seem impossible in relation to the other changes that Gw2 has seen over the years. Search and Rescue could be functionally treated as an increased revive speed, Sic Em’ or Protect Me having its effects apply to you, etc.

But depending on how easy or difficult it is to create more or less new abilities (in the case of replaced/restructured & renamed beast mastery traits and abilities) or “reroute” in the case of several weapon abilities, it probably just isn’t really practical to take on for a relatively niche issue (the ranger and the pets themselves do have places in the game & meta after all, despite their shortcomings) unless the ranger’s upcoming elite trait line is meant to be the answer to that in some form.

Ironically, I would see the most practical idea (easiest to implement with the game as we see it on live) for a “petless” ranger actually being based on a pet that’s designed explicitly as a back-line, set and forget ranged (long-bow quality ranged) with several differences from normal “pets” focused on alleviating the high-risk or tedious mico-managing without having to jump through hoops of redesigns & significant rebalances and having 90% or more of the power transferred to the player and having almost no functionality on its own, rather than a 70/30 or so split between ranger/pet.

That said, 100% of the power potential on one entity is inherently better than a split power ceiling unless there are other factors leveraged in as balance points; Gw2 has shades of this in that, two heads are always better than one for getting through breakbars, and rangers can leverage the potential of the pet for CC and survival especially since their HP and crowd control abilities are equal to a player’s, despite the cast times involved.

As a theme/archetype, the ranger is a fairly broad term, and in Guild Wars terms I would describe it as being something of a druid with closer ties to civilization than to the wilderness.

I consider part of the rage about pets (especially from the earlier days of Gw2) is that in Guild Wars 1, pets were wholly optional for a ranger. A valid and unique option in its own right, but optional. Then suddenly Gw2 seems dead-set on condensing and simplifying many aspects of the original game, and bam, ranger is stuck being the beast-master class which also held onto a lot of relic qualities of the first game, never for the better, even if the ranger has their original theme intact.

(edited by Jheuloh.4109)

in Ranger

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

This thread was necro’ed. Leave it to its final rest.

in Ranger

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

The animal companion in GW2 one of the best companion mechanics in gaming. What would be great is a ground targetted skill to tell your pet to move to a specific location again. If we get that back (preferably replacing F3: return to me), the mechanic is perfect. The point of the mechanic is not to have perfect control, but to have an ally with us that acts autonomously that we can give basic commands to. There will always be problems that arise from that mechanic, but being able to tell our pet to move would solve some of the biggest problems.

Removing the pet from the ranger is out of the question entirely. For a companion to be good it has to be meaningful and in a game like GW2 the animal companion basically asks to be a core part of the playstyle. This is why companions for other professions are simply nowhere near as powerful. Since the pet is so core to the profession, removing the mechanic would mean a rework of the entire profession’s design and for those of us that like ranger that would mean sacrificing what makes the profession good.

You already took away sword kitten it. I’d like my favourite profession to not be removed from the game entirely just because you don’t want to play it.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

in Ranger

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

You already took away sword kitten it.

That’s a funny way to say “made the skills actually work, like the other five professions that use a sword”.

in Ranger

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

The animal companion in GW2 one of the best companion mechanics in gaming.

You sir deserve a nice cup of tea. This made me laugh after a tiring day

in Ranger

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

One option would be to only have the pet with you if you spec in beast mastery, if you dont you’d get a dmg buff to compensate.

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

One option would be to only have the pet with you if you spec in beast mastery, if you dont you’d get a dmg buff to compensate.

This would make druid a lot worse. There are indications that the next elite specialization may be a petless option.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Katsuragi.4026

Katsuragi.4026

Even World of Warcraft introduced a talent for hunters to be allowed to run without pets.

Honestly dude, I loved playing longbow ranger in zergs, but I got wholesome tired of dealing with the pet. A pet I never wanted in the first place and that I dislike. That is in no way helping me but certainly has caused my death plenty of times. Even in the defensive position.

And what baffles me is the refusal to AT LEAST let me keep it stowed.

Yes, I am a Ranger. No, I don’t like having a pet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

cough Petless Ranger cough Soulbeast
Sorry having a bad cough today lolz. And to those naysayers… yea u could still parade yr fluffies 24/7. I’ll give it a pat when i passby lolololz

in Ranger

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Sorry having a bad cough today lolz. And to those naysayers… yea u could still parade yr fluffies 24/7. I’ll give it a pat when i passby lolololz

So it’s not enough for vermin like you to whine and cry to Anet until they ruin our class, you have to gloat about it too?

in Ranger

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

So it’s not enough for vermin like you to whine and cry to Anet until they ruin our class, you have to gloat about it too?

Cmon lad, there’s no need for names calling. If you’re good then learn to adapt to changes. I’m sure you’ll be better petless. Give it a shot. You might come back and thank us “Vermins” lol