Pets with no Names

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

I’m no ranger, at the moment anyhow.

But, it somehow bugs me when i see pets not being named. All walking around being Juvenile.

Is this just me or does anyone else thinking same silly things as me?

Might be fun with a generate pet name button for lazy people :)
Or if people could just name them “Test Subject 203” or something alike, more fun for everybody in my opinion.

- What do you think? Non named pets bugging you? Opinions on the.. “matter”?
Rawr

Desolation

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Mog.1589

Mog.1589

The pet names are bugged, when you stow (put away, not swap) one pet and pick another the name is not saved and goes back to being Juvenile Whatever.

I stopped trying to name my pets because I got annoyed with having to redo the names.

[LGN] Legion For We Are Many – a Blackgate guild

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

I name my pets, but the problem is when pets are switched out, the names get reset back to “juvenile”. Swapping between your 2 “combat ready” pets doesn’t reset the name, but every time you want to play with something other than let’s say a bear and wolf, and you get out an eagle and a spider, then the new pets will not be named. When you get out your old bear and wolf again, you will have to rename them again as well. It becomes a super pain if you switch out your pets a lot.

(edited by WatchTheShow.7203)

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Sucuri.5348

Sucuri.5348

I named my pets at the begining, but when you swap them (like when I do WvW or PvP) they loose there names saddly. It is really annoying, in all honesty it should just save 1 default name to each species of pet.

It is even more annoying when you are a newer ranger, and you see a juvenile pet running around in an area and you try to catch it lol. After a juvenile is cought it should be changed to TAMED [species name here]. or Mature [species name here]. Anything but juvenile would be nice :P

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Mog.1589

Mog.1589

Lol I agree I would like to seem them change the Juvenile part after you have tamed them, but there are far more important things to resolve first.

[LGN] Legion For We Are Many – a Blackgate guild

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Someone posted saying that ArenaNet stated it’s not a bug. ANet said something along the lines that it would use to much database space to store all the names. I never saw the ANet post about this however.

Either way I gave up naming my pets also. It’s pointless because it doesn’t save them. Pet names could easily be saved client side and when you swapped pets it would just read the name and re-submit it to the server.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

It could at least change the default name to ‘tamed whatever’.

But it really strikes me as a bug. They save so much other information about a user, a few k of names seems pretty trivial.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

But it really strikes me as a bug. They save so much other information about a user, a few k of names seems pretty trivial.

I know right. It’s not like this is the 1970’s or 1980’s where hard drive storage cost a few thousand $ for 512k of space.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Kashak.6012

Kashak.6012

Its just a bug. Will get fixed but dont expect its on the high priority list!

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Mystfit.8309

Mystfit.8309

I want to name my pet, but until it sticks, it’s kind of pointless. I like to swap out my pets alot..if I were sticking with just one, I’d do it….

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Valanthe.4279

Valanthe.4279

Kashak do you have the a-net note on that? I mentioned this issue in several of the beta events and never got a response. . . it drives me nuts having to rename my pets all the time. At release a few of them stuck (My original pet and then the fern wolf I tamed later) but now even those guys are losing their name.

Would love an acknowledgement that this is at least a known problem and will be fixed.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

I keep running up to people trying to tame their pets. It’s annoying and embarrassing, heh.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Jenosavel.1756

Jenosavel.1756

Kashak do you have the a-net note on that? I mentioned this issue in several of the beta events and never got a response. . . it drives me nuts having to rename my pets all the time. At release a few of them stuck (My original pet and then the fern wolf I tamed later) but now even those guys are losing their name.

Would love an acknowledgement that this is at least a known problem and will be fixed.

A few of them still do stick, but its in specific circumstances rather than with specific species. If you name one of your pets and slot the same pet type in both a land and water spot, then later changing out only one of those spots will "save" the name for the other.

Example: You use a drake in slot 1 for both land and water and have named him Toothy. For a little while you decide to replace Toothy with a Sylvan hound who you then name Leafy, but since hounds can’t be used underwater you only replace the land slot. Then later you decide you want Toothy back and when you slot in your drake again he has remembered his name, because all the while you had one copy, so to speak, of Toothy still active on your character (in the water slot).

The closest we have is an acknowledgement that they’re aware we want it, but no word on whether they plan to change anything: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Saving-pet-names/56611

Leaves and Embers - a fan written GW2 novel (complete!)
Servants of Fortuna [SoF] - We serve fortuna; may she grant us a smile.

(edited by Jenosavel.1756)

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: hrhomer.2037

hrhomer.2037

Noob question : How do I name my pet? I looked in the pet interface, but missed it…

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

They could store pet names client-side, and if not it’s miniscule amounts of data anyway: character ID, pet type, pet name. The database excuse is weak.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Elric of Grans.7684

Elric of Grans.7684

They obviously save the four pet-slot names, because merely exiting and reloading the game does not reset it. There is no reason the name should be lost from the pet-slot when you change pets, even if they do not want to save the name of every pet for every player. Still, as others have said, it is an awfully low-priority issue. Annoying, yes, but I agree there are other things that need doing first.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Including the 4 pets you can get from The Hall of Monuments, the wiki lists 44 possible pets.

That makes for a lot of pet names …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Elydian.1763

Elydian.1763

It does, but text is cheap as hell in terms of database storage space.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

44 names per character is to the data they’re handling as a tear is to a bucket.

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: linatribal.5246

linatribal.5246

I keep running up to people trying to tame their pets. It’s annoying and embarrassing, heh.

^This

“Holy crap! A Juvenile Black Moa! Oh wait…” -facepalm-

It’s especially frustrating around those Vista points where the pet owner is out of sight and the pet is just chilling out on a ledge. Shame on me for being so gullible….LoL.

So, I agree — just add “Tamed” to the name or if it is a bug, please fix it.

“I love the Power Glove. It’s so bad.”
GM of Silent Striders (Borlis Pass).
AKA: Rayva Galeshot or Rayva Grimclaw

Pets with no Names

in Ranger

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

Noob question : How do I name my pet? I looked in the pet interface, but missed it…

There’s a little pencil on a box next to their current name, within the pet interface.