Please help me like Druids

in Ranger

Posted by: LaraQ.9864

LaraQ.9864

How are the Druids attached to the lore? I am looking for a reason to like the new Elite Specialization. Because their skills and Celestial form is a huge let down for me. I don’t see any connection to the over all story aside from the name. The skills are lacking the Druid feel as well aside from maybe the 4 and 5 weapons skills.

In the original Guild Wars there were Druids and they gained a new form that looked more like an Oakheart. This Celestial form doesn’t look anything like that at all and doesn’t fit story-wise as a Druid. I also think the lack of plant based abilities is rather disheartening.

If anything they remind me a mission from the original Guild Wars in Cantha called Closer to the Stars. So why not call them Celestials or Oracles it would fit better into the story and lore of Guild Wars that way.

Also why so much healing I get the need for it, but it feels more like a Guardian or a Monk from the original game. And sense they feel more like a Monk why not call them Monks again its a better story that way. If they only get two new skills that actually feel like something a druid should have why call them Druids? It feels misleading and I find this almost entirely disappointing and Rangers are my favorite class.

I prefer story to mechanics as a player and if the story doesn’t fit or feels forced its a major turn off. I was honestly hoping for something closer to the original Druids from the original Guild Wars sense they were called Druids and what not. So please can some give me a good story/ lore based reason to care about this because right now I am seriously second guessing buying Heart of Thorns.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

The thing about the GW1 druids is that we know next to nothing about their practices, rituals, or magic. All we know is their ultimate fate of becoming one with Maguuma.

Beyond that we don’t know what sort of magic they had. Were they rangers? Were they monks who worshiped Melandru? Shoot, for all we know they could’ve been necromancers.

Now we have a general idea. Like druids in real life and several other fantasy settings they used magic that reflected their view of nature. Contrary to what most people think “nature” is not limited to Earth/Tyria. Nature is all that exists naturally, which includes the sun, moon, and stars and all the celestial bodies of the universe.

Historic druids paid close attention to the celestial bodies. They watched and charted the stars and kept track of important celestial events like the equinox which was considered a deeply spiritual event. Druids in Tyria seem to have had a similar reverence for the world beyond ours and used it’s power to help defend Maguuma. And as they grew more and more powerful with the celestial magic of nature they finally reached a point where their mortal bodies were no longer useful and shed them, becoming spirits of nature.

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I say dont play it if you dont like it. I wont be playing tempest and Daredevil for this very reason. I love this elite specialization idea. Requested this long time ago. I like playing support and healer. So this seem like a plus in my book.

in Ranger

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

The thing about the GW1 druids is that we know next to nothing about their practices, rituals, or magic. All we know is their ultimate fate of becoming one with Maguuma.

Beyond that we don’t know what sort of magic they had. Were they rangers? Were they monks who worshiped Melandru? Shoot, for all we know they could’ve been necromancers.

Now we have a general idea. Like druids in real life and several other fantasy settings they used magic that reflected their view of nature. Contrary to what most people think “nature” is not limited to Earth/Tyria. Nature is all that exists naturally, which includes the sun, moon, and stars and all the celestial bodies of the universe.

Historic druids paid close attention to the celestial bodies. They watched and charted the stars and kept track of important celestial events like the equinox which was considered a deeply spiritual event. Druids in Tyria seem to have had a similar reverence for the world beyond ours and used it’s power to help defend Maguuma. And as they grew more and more powerful with the celestial magic of nature they finally reached a point where their mortal bodies were no longer useful and shed them, becoming spirits of nature.

Wow… you are like the living incarnate of Wikipedia xD
Have you gained your own celestial form yet?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

You have no idea how happy it makes me you did not confuse druidism with pagan druidism, where they worship gods.