Point/roam build

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Themightyaltroll told me about a ranger that guarded a pet at a location and then roamed alone. Said player was using RaO and greatsword and “beating other players”. Is this a viable playstyle in certain team comps? Has anyone seen this play before? I think a build like that sounds kind of fun but is it useful or viable? You discuss.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: bezim bezec.8635

bezim bezec.8635

I can see this working well if there were more than one ranger pet on the point, but then that leaves 2 or more ineffective rangers running around.

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I was thinking paired with an ele and a fiery greatsword, this could be nice.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: resula.6340

resula.6340

I run like this. Greatsword is my main, with sword + horn ready for faster damage when the situation allows (or as soon as someone tries to run). It is a good mix of dps & tankyness for WvW and has a lot of group utility.

I used to run bunker beastmaster and shifted to this when the pet dps dropped and I started having trouble killing people.

10/0/30/30/0, cleric gear, altruism runes (buffs when you drop your healing spring), nature’s voice, guard, signet of the wild, most traits concentrate on being tanky.

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: bezim bezec.8635

bezim bezec.8635

I am interested in the idea of using the eles firey greatsword

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Themightyaltroll told me about a ranger that guarded a pet at a location and then roamed alone. Said player was using RaO and greatsword and “beating other players”. Is this a viable playstyle in certain team comps? Has anyone seen this play before? I think a build like that sounds kind of fun but is it useful or viable? You discuss.

Yes it’s viable. Tbh i used to send my pet around every time while staying on points. And i definitely say that was quite stupid and close to op. Lol i could stay safe on point defending while my bloody raven was chasing ppl around the map. Quite funny tho. The problem is if u wanna use guard you have to waste an utility slot for that. That’s not a good idea imo. Also gs is a good weapon BUT i pretty much never use it. The problem is a ranger playing without 1h sword is gimping himself and a ranged option is often a good choice. RaO is amazing, probably the best elite we have, the only problem are boon corruptions/steals, but tbh if the ranger is a bit smart he could avoid that most of the times.

Point/roam build

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

Yes it’s viable. Tbh i used to send my pet around every time while staying on points. And i definitely say that was quite stupid and close to op. Lol i could stay safe on point defending while my bloody raven was chasing ppl around the map. Quite funny tho. The problem is if u wanna use guard you have to waste an utility slot for that. That’s not a good idea imo. Also gs is a good weapon BUT i pretty much never use it. The problem is a ranger playing without 1h sword is gimping himself and a ranged option is often a good choice. RaO is amazing, probably the best elite we have, the only problem are boon corruptions/steals, but tbh if the ranger is a bit smart he could avoid that most of the times.

I have to agree that while there is tactical value, gimping yourself by using that utility slot may or may not be the best thing to do.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat