Poll to settle the Arguments

in Ranger

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

This Poll helps to settle the ongoing Argument if most of the community like the Druid or not.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

A mandatory in game poll might. This will not.

in Ranger

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

A poll doesn’t settle anything, most players don’t post on the forums, even of those that use the forums most will not vote in the poll.

Really there is nothing to settle, people should simply speak for themselves, rather than trying to speak for the “community” because they lack the confidence to stand on their own views.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

You will never settle what all Rangers in game think. But Rangers on the forums are a population in their own right; a population that cares enough about the profession to post and read threads about it. Granted it probably won’t statistically settle anything, but this poll will provide valuable insight into the argument.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Where is the checkbox for “Druid looks boring and uninspired but I see the benefit in having it”?

But seriously, what will this settle? It’s not like someone is going to say, " well 55% of the people that voted seem to like the druid so I guess I should like it too." People are entitled to their own opinions.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Ashen.2907

You will never settle what all Rangers in game think. But Rangers on the forums are a population in their own right; a population that cares enough about the profession to post and read threads about it. Granted it probably won’t statistically settle anything, but this poll will provide valuable insight into the argument.

It definitely won’t statistically settle anything. Any value in terms of insight will be purely subjective and so completely incapable of serving the intended purpose, to settle the argument.

This poll has as much merit in terms of settling any argument here as would a contest to post the cutest puppy photos.

But puppy photos are fun so its not a total loss.

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

It definitely won’t statistically settle anything. Any value in terms of insight will be purely subjective and so completely incapable of serving the intended purpose, to settle the argument.

This poll has as much merit in terms of settling any argument here as would a contest to post the cutest puppy photos.

I think it’s human nature to view the outcome (which will inevitably be most people in favour of the Druid) as material to argue a point with. Obviously in the world of science and mathematics it’s entirely illogical to suggest something is evidence without statistical proof, but I doubt that will stop people on here from using the results of this poll to help “prove” their points.

in Ranger

Ashen.2907

I think it’s human nature to view the outcome (which will inevitably be most people in favour of the Druid) as material to argue a point with. Obviously in the world of science and mathematics it’s entirely illogical to suggest something is evidence without statistical proof, but I doubt that will stop people on here from using the results of this poll to help “prove” their points.

I agree completely.

It seems very likely that this poll will serve the purpose of highlighting foolishness. Anyone attempting to claim a point proven by a poll of this sort will have demonstrated that their judgement should be in question.

in Ranger

Ashen.2907

For what it is worth, none of the presented answers covers my opinion.

I am a Ranger player who thinks that the Druid would have been a fine addition to the game if attached to a different profession, or as a new profession entirely.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I need a box for “I am a ranger player and it’s way too early to tell about druid.”

in Ranger

NapTooN.6283

I agree that it is not the End of all arguments, but at least this poll will hopefully reduce this always repeating circlejerk of “Most of the Rangers think that Druid sucks” “no no, the Ranger Community totally loves the Druid”.

I don’t know about you, but i am bored of all those “I know what the majority of the community in this Forum thinks, and you are totally wrong”-Posts.

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

I agree that it is not the End of all arguments, but at least this poll will hopefully reduce this always repeating circlejerk of “Most of the Rangers think that Druid sucks” “no no, the Ranger Community totally loves the Druid”.

I don’t know about you, but i am bored of all those “I know what the majority of the community in this Forum thinks, and you are totally wrong”-Posts.

Although I have a scientific background and know you shouldn’t accept evidence without stats, I agree that the whining from people on here is really annoying and I’m glad that we have at least something visual to shut that particular argument up.

in Ranger

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

Although I have a scientific background and know you shouldn’t accept evidence without stats, I agree that the whining from people on here is really annoying and I’m glad that we have at least something visual to shut that particular argument up.

I seriously question your claim to have “a scientific brackground” on two counts:
1. I’ve never in my entire professional or personal life encountered anyone who genuinely works in a scientific field to use that phrase, whearas I’ve seen plenty of con-artists use it. Several reasons, for one many scientificly minded people are aware of what fallacious reasoning is, and so are careful not to list their expertise as any kind of evidence in day to day conversations. I’m not saying that you’re a con-artist, just that it sets off alarms when I read it on the web.

2. If you think a poll gives “something visual” to shut up an argument then you’re not very skeptical and have an poor understanding of what constitues persuasive evidence. Polls are extremely unreliable for many reasons, several of which people have already described in this thread. Again, not saying you’re lying, but this gives me pause for concern.

An additional 3rd point, that you disagree with the people who dislike the Druid, does not make them “whining”. In fact, you’re complaints about their arguments are the most whiney thing I’ve read on the forum for days. Pot Kettle Black, mate.

As for your poll, one the most obvious points that you’ve missed is that people who are dissapointed are less likely to continue engaging and fill out random polls. Something that real scientists tend to think about and take into account, when engaging a study, even a simple one. Mood influences engagement and enthusiasm. This is basic psychology.

It’s funny but most of the science graduates I know, tend to have better reasoning skills than that. You must be an outlier in the community.

(edited by wolfyrik.2017)

in Ranger

Posted by: arnitheking.8427

arnitheking.8427

This poll is a great idea

in Ranger

Posted by: arnitheking.8427

arnitheking.8427

and the druid haters are already salty because they’re a minority :°(

in Ranger

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

That poll doesn’t help. The Druid is good, it just doesn’t fit the Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I have a scientific background. In third grade I made a paper mache volcano that actually erupted! Beat that.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

wow 82% of all players are ranger. I didn’t expected that :P

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

in Ranger

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

wow 82% of all players are ranger. I didn’t expected that :P

82% of all players who have browsed the ranger subforum in the past 5 hours, saw this thread, decided to look at the poll and vote on it :P

I think this is nice though, even if it doesn’t give any objective evidence, polls are fun

and honestly, even with a small testing group, as long as you take it with a grain of salt, it’s still information, and that’s information you can look at objectively (again, as long as you realize it’s not going to be objective evidence as a whole. e.g. if you asked people in texas if they like to go to mcdonalds, and then ask people in the entirity of america if they like to go to mcdonalds, the texas example is obviously the weaker argument, but it’s still information you can look at. you can definitely conclude “if 90% of people in texas like mcdonalds, then there’s a high relative chance that america as a whole will have >50% liking mcdonalds.” of course, it’s based on probability, so it could be wrong, as with all things relating to probability. As long as the people that look at it realize “oh hey, this isn’t what 100% of people think, just a small subgroup of people” it should be fine.)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Ranger

Bryzy.2719

I seriously question your claim to have “a scientific brackground” on two counts:
1. I’ve never in my entire professional or personal life encountered anyone who genuinely works in a scientific field to use that phrase, whearas I’ve seen plenty of con-artists use it. Several reasons, for one many scientificly minded people are aware of what fallacious reasoning is, and so are careful not to list their expertise as any kind of evidence in day to day conversations. I’m not saying that you’re a con-artist, just that it sets off alarms when I read it on the web.

2. If you think a poll gives “something visual” to shut up an argument then you’re not very skeptical and have an poor understanding of what constitues persuasive evidence. Polls are extremely unreliable for many reasons, several of which people have already described in this thread. Again, not saying you’re lying, but this gives me pause for concern.

An additional 3rd point, that you disagree with the people who dislike the Druid, does not make them “whining”. In fact, you’re complaints about their arguments are the most whiney thing I’ve read on the forum for days. Pot Kettle Black, mate.

As for your poll, one the most obvious points that you’ve missed is that people who are dissapointed are less likely to continue engaging and fill out random polls. Something that real scientists tend to think about and take into account, when engaging a study, even a simple one. Mood influences engagement and enthusiasm. This is basic psychology.

It’s funny but most of the science graduates I know, tend to have better reasoning skills than that. You must be an outlier in the community.

Wow, that was a bit of an unnecessary attack wasn’kitten Are you autistic? You obviously didn’t read my previous posts in this thread. I said it’s human nature to think that non-statistically-proven data that shows a strong trend towards a particular outcome can be used to back up their argument. The point I was making in that quote was that unfortunately despite my scientific background (BSc Hons in Biology from Lancaster University, though I don’t work in a science-based job) I recognise that I sometimes fall victim to human nature too and will tend to do the same in an argument in order to reinforce a point, even though I’m well aware it is not statistically significant. It’s a pretty thinly veiled attempt at attacking me because of the fact that I clearly disagree with the whiners with whom you share a view on the Druid. Also it’s not my poll, I didn’t make it. Learn to read.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

The fact that they think a Straw Poll is indictive of anything but the amount of votes the site has been told it has received shows what to expect from Druid fans.

in Ranger

NapTooN.6283

The fact that they think a Straw Poll is indictive of anything but the amount of votes the site has been told it has received shows what to expect from Druid fans.

Looks like you are in the Hater Camp. Again, the poll was not meant to dismiss the People that are critical about the Druid, it was meant to shut down these kitten “I know what the majority thinks and you are wrong!” Posts. It is fine for me if you don’t like the Druid, what i don’t like is People pretending that they know what the majority thinks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lome.8239

Lome.8239

I need a box for “I am a ranger player and it’s way too early to tell about druid.”

It’s called “View Results”.

lol if it’s too early for you then don’t vote.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I like that you included the distinction between ranger players excited for the druid and non-ranger players excited for the druid.

I had actually forgotten that there may be people who start playing ranger solely because of the druid spec.

But yeah, I can fully support wanting to put a stop those particular posts.
I’m just a bit more pessimistic, and think that they’ll instead just start spouting reasons why their argument shouldn’t change rather than actually stopping the “I speak for the majority when I say…” trend.

The Druid (….) just doesn’t fit the Ranger.

I disagree.

*Edited for clarity

(edited by Rashagar.8349)

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Looks like you are in the Hater Camp. Again, the poll was not meant to dismiss the People that are critical about the Druid, it was meant to shut down these kitten “I know what the majority thinks and you are wrong!” Posts. It is fine for me if you don’t like the Druid, what i don’t like is People pretending that they know what the majority thinks.

Its just basic logic why this poll can’t be used to show any conclusion and you still fail at that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Its just basic logic why this poll can’t be used to show any conclusion and you still fail at that.

as for me you tried to attack thsi specific poll by suggesting that “druid fans” have nothing better to do than exploit possibility some didn’t even had idea about to make druid haters looks silly…..

that suggestion actually sounds silly.

dude seriously get over it, and just. stop. please

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles