Power build still viable?

in Ranger

Posted by: GodSpeedFist.8642

GodSpeedFist.8642

Q:

What do you guys think??

With all the condi updates and condi builds around… Is a Power Ranger still viable?

Cecilla Alcotte(Ranger)
Fatina Flameheart(Elementalist)
GodSpeedFist(Thief)

in Ranger

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Against everything but Eles/Mesmers it works well enough. (WvW)

(edited by roamzero.9486)

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

I haven’t played much power ranger in pvp lately (been having too much fun with traps) but I took my power ranger build out into Verdant Brink over the weekend and it was actually more effective than any other build I played over the weekend. My power build is also still totally viable in the dungeons that I do, so there’s that too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Yes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

In what gamemode?

Lb power ranger is probably the strongest build for PvP (still).

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Power builds and ranger builds in general did get buffs aswell including more condi cleanse despite people apparently thinking rangers don’t have enough condi removal options.

in Ranger

Posted by: trunks.5249

trunks.5249

What do you guys think??

With all the condi updates and condi builds around… Is a Power Ranger still viable?

both are great builds both have there pros and cons against other classes

master jedi david

in Ranger

Posted by: EvilZombie.6801

EvilZombie.6801

Power builds and ranger builds in general did get buffs aswell including more condi cleanse despite people apparently thinking rangers don’t have enough condi removal options.

please kindly enlighten us by providing some examples thank you.

in Ranger

GodSpeedFist.8642

In what gamemode?

Lb power ranger is probably the strongest build for PvP (still).

Mainly PVP and Solo Roaming WvW…

Cecilla Alcotte(Ranger)
GodSpeedFist(Thief)

(edited by GodSpeedFist.8642)

in Ranger

Posted by: Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic Positive.9356

GlassBow Ranger was former 6-6-2.
So by having the new trait system, we have the Condi Clear that former GlassBow didn’t.

Also, we got bonus blind and CC from pet, Protective Ward, buffed Evasive Purity… I have no idea how can you believe GlassBow ranger wasn’t buffed.

“Observe, learn and counter.”

in Ranger

GodSpeedFist.8642

GlassBow Ranger was former 6-6-2.
So by having the new trait system, we have the Condi Clear that former GlassBow didn’t.

Also, we got bonus blind and CC from pet, Protective Ward, buffed Evasive Purity… I have no idea how can you believe GlassBow ranger wasn’t buffed.

Tragic do you run NS,BM,WS for roaming WvW?

Cecilla Alcotte(Ranger)
GodSpeedFist(Thief)

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

What do you guys think??

It is.
PvE – We currently have one Meta build that includes Longbow. Pretty much the buffed version of our former Zerk one.
PvP – I believe that Longbow build is that of the stronger builds atm. Very powerful from the choices we have.
WvW – I can’t say for sure about this one, haven’t played this with LB much. I believe still fine over here, too.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Tragic do you run NS,BM,WS for roaming WvW?

Yes, I tried exactly that with full Zerk. I was quite successful, but I got really bored of the gameplay that I held ever since I started playing ranger, so I wanted to try something different.
That’s why I can’t say for sure whether it’s the good build or I was lucky.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

I don’t PvE or WvW much, but Power Ranger is very viable in sPvP, I run a more tanky build with my trait variation and it works pretty well with the team I am with.

http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJARTjEqQLL2wCmsAVLGyEqOZDgD4n8I/x9EPBa8CWdA-TpBFABiXGghHAgc7PQwhAYhLAAAHBAA

You can either run berserker or marauder amulet with it depending if you need more damage.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

In wvw rangers nearly went extinct because of reason.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

In wvw rangers nearly went extinct because of reason.

I think all the rangers that were around pre rapid fire buff are still here, the ones that bandwaggoned on to ranger have now moved on to mesmer since it is so brain dead easy a chimp could play it.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in Ranger

Puck.9612

Power builds and ranger builds in general did get buffs as well including more condi cleanse despite people apparently thinking rangers don’t have enough condi removal options.

I disagree. What we got were more options. We lost straight up damage modifiers but we can now spec fully into BM and use things like quickdraw and remorseless to make up the damage. We lost condi removal but gained other new defensive options.

Other than the trap, HS, and spirit changes (and all the bugs) the ranger is definitely better and more interesting to play but these are the types of changes we needed to be on par with the other classes before they got buffed.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Power builds and ranger builds in general did get buffs as well including more condi cleanse despite people apparently thinking rangers don’t have enough condi removal options.

I disagree. What we got were more options. We lost straight up damage modifiers but we can now spec fully into BM and use things like quickdraw and remorseless to make up the damage. We lost condi removal but gained other new defensive options.

Other than the trap, HS, and spirit changes (and all the bugs) the ranger is definitely better and more interesting to play but these are the types of changes we needed to be on par with the other classes before they got buffed.

We lost 5% from Eagle Eye. That’s it.
We lost condi removal only if you went for 2-6-6 … Which pretty much no one did because it cost you a lot of damage.

Your words could have been true if you didn’t think you could have had 3 full traitlines back then. Because your statement covers 2-3 different builds at a time.

Our current system has the possibility of much more than our former options, shall I add that you don’t need marksmanship for doing the same damage as pre-update.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

We lost 5% from Eagle Eye. That’s it.
We lost condi removal only if you went for 2-6-6 … Which pretty much no one did because it cost you a lot of damage.

Your words could have been true if you didn’t think you could have had 3 full traitlines back then. Because your statement covers 2-3 different builds at a time.

Our current system has the possibility of much more than our former options, shall I add that you don’t need marksmanship for doing the same damage as pre-update.

We also lost the 10% damage from Hunter’s tactics, the extra power from strength of spirit and we lost some ferocity so our crits are also hitting for 5ish% less. With the loss of Eagle Eye that starts to add up. And I know this affects all classes but fire/air took a damage nerf as well. But like I said, we can make up the damage with our new traits so it’s not a straight nerf but I wouldn’t exactly call it a buff. It just makes the class a little more interesting.

As far as condi removal goes, there were plenty of people that specced into SotF and EB when running condi builds. Healing spring also worked reliably and EB didn’t insta kill pets thanks to burn stacks.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

We also lost the 10% damage from Hunter’s tactics, the extra power from strength of spirit and we lost some ferocity so our crits are also hitting for 5ish% less. With the loss of Eagle Eye that starts to add up. And I know this affects all classes but fire/air took a damage nerf as well. But like I said, we can make up the damage with our new traits so it’s not a straight nerf but I wouldn’t exactly call it a buff. It just makes the class a little more interesting.

As far as condi removal goes, there were plenty of people that specced into SotF and EB when running condi builds. Healing spring also worked reliably and EB didn’t insta kill pets thanks to burn stacks.

You mean that 10% damage > 10% crit chance that is a buff for Zerks, since my crit damage is already 220%? That was a buff >.>
Everyone lost stats and gained some baseline. This is not a nerf.

Staying a little bit more objective wouldn’t hurt.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prophet.1584

Prophet.1584

the sinister build and the zerk build are the two top dps builds right now. power is still viable in all game modes and can potentially out dps sinister in certain situations. I had gone sinister but switched back to zerk because I didn’t like the playstyle personally. I still alternate between condi and power in pvp.

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

You mean that 10% damage > 10% crit chance that is a buff for Zerks, since my crit damage is already 220%? That was a buff >.>

Objective? Just because it benefited your build doesn’t mean all builds benefit from it.

For example, remorseless builds would benefit a lot more from a straight damage buff rather than a higher crit chance.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

Objective? Just because it benefited your build doesn’t mean all builds benefit from it.

For example, remorseless builds would benefit a lot more from a straight damage buff rather than a higher crit chance.

It benefits Condi Crit builds (Dire) more, it benefits Sinister more than straight 10% dmg buff, it benefits Zerk builds more.

And it only doesn’t apply to 4-6 hits of your remorseless setup and works the same way as Zerk on the rest. You just don’t see that your numbers are not 10% higher and you calmly ignore that you get 10% more critical strikes, that are, surprisingly, 220% even in remorseless setup (the usual PvP route is swapping Crit for Toughness if I’m correct).

That’s why I asked you to get objective in this matter.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

It benefits Condi Crit builds (Dire) more, it benefits Sinister more than straight 10% dmg buff, it benefits Zerk builds more.

And it only doesn’t apply to 4-6 hits of your remorseless setup and works the same way as Zerk on the rest. You just don’t see that your numbers are not 10% higher and you calmly ignore that you get 10% more critical strikes, that are, surprisingly, 220% even in remorseless setup (the usual PvP route is swapping Crit for Toughness if I’m correct).

That’s why I asked you to get objective in this matter.

I have been completely objective in this matter. Go back and look at my first post in this thread, what I said is we lost damage modifiers (which is true) but we can make up the damage with new traits (also true). Whether you like this change or not doesn’t make what I said any less true.

I personally really like the changes now, however I do feel that what we were given wasn’t enough to stay competitive with how much some of the other classes were buffed. I don’t feel we need more damage but we do need changes such as
-reworking EB
-reverting HS
-giving us better pet control
-making opening strikes for pets baseline and in place of alpha training giving us a minor that makes opening strikes unblockable (to deal with the crazy amount of reflect and projectile blocking that is around now)
-a port skill (need that mobility to be competitive in PvP)
-a rework of MDG
-a way to strip boons
-etc.

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

I have been completely objective in this matter. Go back and look at my first post in this thread, what I said is we lost damage modifiers (which is true) but we can make up the damage with new traits (also true). Whether you like this change or not doesn’t make what I said any less true.

I personally really like the changes now, however I do feel that what we were given wasn’t enough to stay competitive with how much some of the other classes were buffed. I don’t feel we need more damage but we do need changes such as
-reworking EB
-reverting HS
-making opening strikes for pets baseline and in place of alpha training giving us a minor that makes opening strikes unblockable (to deal with the crazy amount of reflect and projectile blocking that is around now)
-a rework of MDG
-a way to strip boons
-etc.

I find crit chance as much of a damage modifier as a raw one. One is RNG, the other is not. So as far as my memory is concerned, we only lost the 5% from eagle eye.
And yes, the rest pretty much buffed us straight. Which you didn’t agree on.

The Ranger now being clunky is something that needs to be addressed. But the problem are the bugs. Not mechanics in particular (I agree that MDG needs a complete remake, though).
I personally find double Swoop a valid way for point rotation. Nope, we don’t have the port, but I don’t find myself in a need of one anymore. Our defense was buffed just enough to make up for that lack.
About the way to strip boons – this is still the issue to be addressed since Rangers do not have any burst damage whatsoever.

in Ranger

Puck.9612

-reworking EB
-reverting HS
-a rework of MDG
-a way to strip boons
-etc.

I find crit chance as much of a damage modifier as a raw one. One is RNG, the other is not. So as far as my memory is concerned, we only lost the 5% from eagle eye.
And yes, the rest pretty much buffed us straight. Which you didn’t agree on.

The Ranger now being clunky is something that needs to be addressed. But the problem are the bugs. Not mechanics in particular (I agree that MDG needs a complete remake, though).
I personally find double Swoop a valid way for point rotation. Nope, we don’t have the port, but I don’t find myself in a need of one anymore. Our defense was buffed just enough to make up for that lack.
About the way to strip boons – this is still the issue to be addressed since Rangers do not have any burst damage whatsoever.

Agree to disagree.

I love double swoop and it’s fantastic for open areas like WvW but it doesn’t compare to being able to port directly into the clocktower in kyhlo, or dropping a portal at mid/far and rotating back instantly. It would be game changing if SotH active was changed to a targeted teleport, or if we had a skill similar to guard to place our pets in area and then port back to them.

Actually that would work well if they reworked some of the shouts. Give us a way to flag the pets to an area like in GW1, drastically increase the leash range, and change “protect me” to a skill that breaks stun and teleports you to your pet (or nearest ally if your pet is dead).

in Ranger

Tragic Positive.9356

@Puck
Yep, that would definitely make us viable.
But then again, you can tell that the way our class and abilities are designed, we are not supposed to be “porty”. Every our ability is an acrobatic move.

Just like a Warrior. But instead of immunities, we get more evades and a pet.

Unfortunately, I’m that kind of guy who don’t want everyone to have same mechanics. I’d prefer those we have, but being on par with other classes. Let’s say… Our Maul is definitely the ability that should hit hard… But is not.
I’d like to see our signature abilities to be improved in what they already do.

If we get other mechanics, our current stuff would have to be balanced accordingly. And you can already tell how it ended up last time.