Proposed ranger changes for PvP

in Ranger

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Hello. Ranger is in a weird place with some overpowered things but weak overall.

Greatsword autoattack. Increased attack speed and damage, reduce the evade frame. Lets be real, it’s not like the evade is reliable enough and currently it gets shut down completely by blinds because it’s too slow!
Reduce maul cast time! It’s a huge freakin bear animation! People should be able to dodge it anyway. Now they can just walk away slowly..
Fix swoop and other rush bugs regarding terrain.

Entangle. Requires the ranger to stand still. No more fancy jumps to reduce the telegraph.

Shortbow. Move the bleeds to other skills. The autoattack has no counterplay. Move them to crippling shot or concussion shot or whatever.

Axe mainhand auto. Even after buffs it’s pretty meh and the might is too short. Increase the might duration but add an icd. Takes longer to build might(and less stacks) but it doesn’t go away instantly.

Signet of renewal. Now works even if your pet is far away/dead/ etc.

General pet stuff. Remove the penalty for dead pet swap. They explode in team fights anyway. No reason to punish the ranger further.

Merge piercing arrows and read the wind traits.

Shared anguish has a buff icon.

Hunter shot stealths even if it misses/gets blocked.

Tone down the burns on the torch bonfire.

Add more condition removal that’s reliable. Empathic bond is strong but too unreliable. Survival of the fittest is fine but it requires a big investment.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I disagree on a few points here.

Thieves don’t get stealth when they miss with Cloak and Dagger, so I don’t believe it’d be fair for Ranger’s to stealth despite missing with our own ranged attack.

I see that you want to merge longbow traits, but I don’t see anything about merging things like Martial Mastery which is just a flat -20% cooldown reduction. Most (if not all) other classes now have at least some stat bonus tied in with their weapon cooldown reduction traits.

I imagine many beastmaster rangers would not be happy with an ICD on the Might from Axe auto-attacks given that they are quite happy with using 3 trait points to share that Might with their Pet. Combine with traited pet Might on crits and Sigil of Battle and your pet quickly gets 25 stacks of might … especially when the axe gets to bounce.

I’d prefer merging Piercing Arrows with something that isn’t longbow specific since Piercing Arrows can also be beneficial for Shortbow.

What is wrong with the burns from bonfire?

More reliable condition removal (without a grandmaster trait and/or gimping your pet) would be nice … though we do have some non-GM traits for removing specific conditions, a bear for removing more, and Healing Spring.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Hello. Ranger is in a weird place with some overpowered things but weak overall.

Greatsword autoattack. Increased attack speed and damage, reduce the evade frame. Lets be real, it’s not like the evade is reliable enough and currently it gets shut down completely by blinds because it’s too slow!
Reduce maul cast time! It’s a huge freakin bear animation! People should be able to dodge it anyway. Now they can just walk away slowly..
Fix swoop and other rush bugs regarding terrain.

Entangle. Requires the ranger to stand still. No more fancy jumps to reduce the telegraph.

Shortbow. Move the bleeds to other skills. The autoattack has no counterplay. Move them to crippling shot or concussion shot or whatever.

Axe mainhand auto. Even after buffs it’s pretty meh and the might is too short. Increase the might duration but add an icd. Takes longer to build might(and less stacks) but it doesn’t go away instantly.

General pet stuff. Remove the penalty for dead pet swap. They explode in team fights anyway. No reason to punish the ranger further.

Shared anguish has a buff icon.

Hunter shot stealths even if it misses/gets blocked.

Tone down the burns on the torch bonfire.

Add more condition removal that’s reliable. Empathic bond is strong but too unreliable. Survival of the fittest is fine but it requires a big investment.

Please be constructive (next time). Otherwise noone is going to discuss these.

in Ranger

robertul.3679

Nobody goes into first line for shortbow builds! Especially not 4 points! Some might for the sharpening stone trait but that’s only 2! So piercing arrows only benefit longbow.
Beastmaster ranger isn’t really a pvp build except maybe to troll 1v1s!
Thieves can cloak and dagger repeatedly!
Who takes martial mastery anyway?

What is not constructive again?

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Nobody goes into first line for shortbow builds! Especially not 4 points! Some might for the sharpening stone trait but that’s only 2! So piercing arrows only benefit longbow.
Beastmaster ranger isn’t really a pvp build except maybe to troll 1v1s!
Thieves can cloak and dagger repeatedly!
Who takes martial mastery anyway?

What is not constructive again?

They wanted to know your reasons for your suggestions.

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

That’s why I proposed SB merg with Quick hand, or put it in Skirmishing adapt trait.

in Ranger

robertul.3679

I thought I was pretty clear on the reasoning.
“Hello. Ranger is in a weird place with some overpowered things but weak overall.”

Basically some things are too strong and they seem to only exist because everything else is too weak. The whole entangle nerf cry is answered by “yea but they don’t got anything else going for them”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Combine piercing into quickdraw maybe? Those are the two that are lb + sb. I know that you don’t want it in skirm, but that’s the only way that I can see sb rangers not having to pay for lb only effects. Or they could revert eagle eye to affect both…

in Ranger

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Greatsword autoattack. Increased attack speed and damage, reduce the evade frame. Lets be real, it’s not like the evade is reliable enough and currently it gets shut down completely by blinds because it’s too slow! Nope, just needs slightly more dmg but the evade can be great in both, pvp and pve.
Reduce maul cast time! It’s a huge freakin bear animation! People should be able to dodge it anyway. Now they can just walk away slowly.. Maul is a great skill. If I would change anything I would add a blast finisher but this is uust wishful thinking.
Fix swoop and other rush bugs regarding terrain. More a learn to use it issue imo.

You didn’t comment on the only skill that realyy needs a change imo. Hilt Bash has a huge cooldown while being very hard to land. Increase range or decrease the animation time or alternatively the cooldown to make missing less punishing. Also unblockable would be super cool here.

Entangle. Requires the ranger to stand still. No more fancy jumps to reduce the telegraph. Well they might do that, then again it is already so very easy to break it for many classes.

Shortbow. Move the bleeds to other skills. The autoattack has no counterplay. Move them to crippling shot or concussion shot or whatever. Wtf. The counterplay is facing the ranger. This skill defines the weapon. Overall shortbow skills 2-5 need something fancy imo. Feel all very underwhelming.

Axe mainhand auto. Even after buffs it’s pretty meh and the might is too short. Increase the might duration but add an icd. Takes longer to build might(and less stacks) but it doesn’t go away instantly. No ICD pls. Beside that a small buff to the autoattack would be fine.

Shared anguish has a buff icon. Yes pls.

Hunter shot stealths even if it misses/gets blocked. Longbow needs higher skill ceiling, not lower. Target pets/minions/etc if you want guaranteed hits.

Tone down the burns on the torch bonfire. What the actual kitten?

Add more condition removal that’s reliable. Empathic bond is strong but too unreliable. Survival of the fittest is fine but it requires a big investment. I feel like some of the offhand skills should get condi removal. Also there needs to be some trait for easy put of combat swiftness. Ranger is supposed to be a fast class but especially condi builds have no ways to travel between points fast.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

For the out of combat swiftness problem, having direct control of all of our pets’ skills would help with that potentially, at least for people willing to use a bird. I still don’t see why engineers and elementalists can get on the order of 30+ skills in a build, while 20 is considered too many for rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Greatsword – agree, needs major damage buffs. Hilt bash also needs greater range and quicker animation. You can’t even hit someone who is moving away from you.

Entangle – nothing wrong with this skill. Its weak frankly.

Shortbow – the counterplay is to not get flanked? Most ppl think the flanking requirement should be removed anyway…

Axe – yes might is too short, and the animation is too slow for such low damage.

Pets – agree.

Piercing arrows – I say merge quickdraw into this trait. Quickdraw in skirmishing is rediculous as a condi build has no reason to go into it.

Burns – what?

EB – would be great if the removes conditions on pet swap. But of course pet swap would then need a shorter cd.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I disagree that no one ever takes Marksmanship for Shortbow … some want Piercing arrows when they run a Longbow/Shortbow build. It’s not the current “hot thing”, but it is still done and I’ve seen some very good Rangers be very effective with it.

I’d love to see Piercing Arrows combined with the cooldowns reduction. Ranger is one of the few (if not the only) class that still has traits that are only a weapon cooldown reduction and nothing else.

I get a little peeved when I’m on my Engineer and his Rifle shots pierce without any trait required. It’s not like he’s hard-up for ways to deal with multiple targets (bombs, grenades, flamethrower, etc.)

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.