PvE Ranger Builds?

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackIsleDragon.7516

BlackIsleDragon.7516

Hey everyone,

I typically main a Necro and wanted to expand, learning how to play other classes more efficiently. With that, what is a solid Ranger build for PvE? I will mostly do Dungeons or FotM, leaning a little more towards FotM.

I will learn the style of play and ability timing, that is not quite what I am looking for (unless something is very specific). What I am looking for is a build template to get me started, and Pet suggestions.

Right now, I am Celestial geared with GS and LB. Mostly went with Celestial gear because of the diversity in Rangers to switch between conditions and power, well what used to be at least (I haven’t played in a while).

Thanks for the help!

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

this is pretty much the standard, overall best dps build in dungeons.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjUq0qaFLmsw1ag9gadAEwjO3MoD8VFZ8UJymA-TBSBwAP3fooyvIKBvp+DKdBIM/B4JAk/SAAA-e

you can use healing spring instead if you need condi removal. Also you can take out quickening zephyr for signet of the hunt if you need movement speed.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

BlackIsleDragon.7516

Thanks, That’s exactly what I was looking for.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQJATRjUq0qaFLmsw1ag9gadAEwjO3MoD8VFZ8UJymA-TBSBwAP3fooyvIKBvp+DKdBIM/B4JAk/SAAA-e

you can use healing spring instead if you need condi removal. Also you can take out quickening zephyr for signet of the hunt if you need movement speed.

Sword/axe over GS any day.

The difference between those two is about 16-18% …

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

BlackIsleDragon.7516

Same build, just using S/A in place of GS then? I know that will bring a different play style.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pewienpan.5168

Pewienpan.5168

For dungeon stacking I prefer piercing arrows over spotter but ppl rage on that 150 prec. Change jaguar to red moa for more fury. And I run fire trap instead of QZ for might stacking. LB + s/wh, sigil of battle on WH so it’s 3 from sigil, 3 from blast + 1 from WH #5 skill, add jungle stalker and u got easy 12 stacks of might.

Celestial scrubs, just die already…

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Group buffs will always outweigh individual buffs. Spotter is a tremendous damage buff, and it’s compounded by the fact that LB is extremely low damage compared to sword.

BlackIsleDragon, yes, 1-hand sword is the main PvE weapon.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

For dungeon stacking I prefer piercing arrows over spotter but ppl rage on that 150 prec.

Of course they do. It’s the equivalent of a warrior bringing a skill like Frenzy instead of a banner. In group content you spec for the benefit of the group, not yourself.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Nausiation.1469

Nausiation.1469

Sword/axe over GS any day.

The difference between those two is about 16-18% …

yeah sword/axe does have higher dps but I figured op wanted to continue using GS since IMO it’s just more fun to play with over sword axe.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

For dungeon stacking I prefer piercing arrows over spotter but ppl rage on that 150 prec. Change jaguar to red moa for more fury. And I run fire trap instead of QZ for might stacking. LB + s/wh, sigil of battle on WH so it’s 3 from sigil, 3 from blast + 1 from WH #5 skill, add jungle stalker and u got easy 12 stacks of might.

Yeah.. no. People are right to rage on you for not having spotter. It is like a warrior running with no banners just for more personal dps. Piercing arrows is a waste of slot anyways, since you should use LB only for 2 skills on single target and 1 on multi targets.

Also might and furry should not be a ranger’s issue. You have eles/warrs for that. Red moa while having a very good special skill, it lacks in dps big time. best way is to have jaguar in the beginning of the fight for the initial Stalk – RaO-SotW-QZ burst (it hits like a truck with these, and mid fight after all your personal buffs are gone, swap to jungle stalker for boosting the group’s might.

Do not use WH for fight, but keep 1 on you for blasting.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

BlackIsleDragon.7516

@Nausiation, Yeah, GS is a lot of fun IMO, and I will still use it. But I do not mind using the BiS type weapons to benefit the group. I am a flexible player, comes from many many years of MMOs. But, thanks for all the input guys. Going to make adjustments to my style as needed

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Unless I’m in a lvl 38 fractal I use sword+axe or sword+wh.

And I like that build Nausiation.1469 posted but I run 6/5/1/2/0 for that extra vigor. It makes a difference.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

And I like that build Nausiation.1469 posted but I run 6/5/1/2/0 for that extra vigor. It makes a difference.

Better off bringing a dagger. Then you have 3 dodges avaible from your weapons, and your pet still gets dem boons!

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

thefantasticg.3984

I only use five pets: reef or salamander and river drake, jungle stalker, or red moa. I use pets for blast finishers and buffs. That’s it….

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: StevenMah.9854

StevenMah.9854

I only use five pets: reef or salamander and river drake, jungle stalker, or red moa. I use pets for blast finishers and buffs. That’s it….

I usually run Jaguar/snow leopard + Red Moa (swappable for another utility pet. Ie. wolf in PVP, fern wolf for more regen, etc) for my regular dungeon runs, for that balance of pet DPS and utility.

But from your high level Fractal perspective, pets’ usage is only pure utility due to the difficulty in keeping them alive? I’ve only go up to level 12 Fractal or so… haven’t entered another for a year. But I don’t mind some insight from you Doesn’t this sacrifices a great source of DPS?

(edited by StevenMah.9854)

PvE Ranger Builds?

in Ranger

thefantasticg.3984

Better off bringing a dagger. Then you have 3 dodges avaible from your weapons, and your pet still gets dem boons!

I would if I liked using the dagger.. I just can’t bring myself to bring dagger over axe because of the vul stacks from axe #5 boosting team dps.

I usually run Jaguar/snow leopard + Red Moa (swappable for another utility pet. Ie. wolf in PVP, fern wolf for more regen, etc) for my regular dungeon runs, for that balance of pet DPS and utility.

But from your high level Fractal perspective, pets’ usage is only pure utility due to the difficulty in keeping them alive? I’ve only go up to level 12 Fractal or so… haven’t entered another for a year. But I don’t mind some insight from you Doesn’t this sacrifices a great source of DPS?

Because of my work schedule I’m never able to build a solid fractal team. So, my wife and I usually pug it. She’s on her mes or guard, and I’m usually on my ranger or guard (if we are in a lvl 49 grawl, we’re both on guard). In my opinion, it’s more important to know the content. Pets going to end up dead. Might as well get a good blast finish out of them or group buff before they die.