[PvP Build] Celestial Melee - EU meta

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

And now, time for the EU meta build. This build will ONLY work in EU. it will NOT WORK IN NA S/T-PVP.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fNAQNAsfRnEqQHL2yC2CCVLGwSoa3ABwoyqZdHtRwNfxDVVB-TphAABXcCAyZ/BpPEAgcEAA4BAIWZAA

This build does two things really great. It stays alive, on point, and can take on almost any build. You may struggle a little with p/d at first, but the key to killing them will be to time your CC well enough to immob them inside your Torch #5

AND I SHALL REPEAT: THIS BUILD WILL NOT WORK IN NA PVP META

The build is centered around melee and keeping your foes burning while you stack up as much might as you possibly can. Set sword AA “off” and use it manually. It will be essential in order to stack might on pets.
Use the owl for burst and control, wolf is to be saved when peeling/getting people off you. This build is a “loner” build. It is self sustained and is not going to bring a lot of support, but it will stay alive through thick and thin.

There is two versions of the build. Version A (defensive) is listed above, but if you feel the need to go “all in” then i suggest Rune of hoelbrak. They grant you some reduction to condition duration and helps your might stacking. Very good rune for this set, although you do become more vulnerable to burst damage. It is not ideal to “get low enough for bark skin to activate” but that trait has saved my rear end quite a few times.
IF you suspect the enemy team to be excessively condition heavy, you can run Empathic Bond alongside SotF.

The combination of fury and GS allows for some quick 2.5k mauls. It may not sound much, but decent burning + pet chill and poison is enough to bring down most DD eles and hambows you meet. Guardians can take some time, especially mediguards, but they too will succumb to this hybrid build.

Two good rotations for this build is;
Offensive Rotation:
swoop -> Hilt Bash -> Maul + bird F2 -> muddy terrain -> swap wep: bonfire -> If enemy has less then 30% HP: Serpents Strike -> Lightning Reflexes

Defensive Rotation:
Hornet Sting -> Throw Torch -> deselect target: monarchs leap -> swap wep: Troll Unguent + GS block

Total damage for offensive rotation should deal, if enemy runs celestial or worse defense – 60% of HP + DoT from burn. Or in the case of enemy being brought under 30% HP – full rotation will in most cases kill them or leave them 1-2 hits from death. Poison secures a weakened “burst heal”, so when you get them low, they stay low.

The defensive rotation requires you to deselect target. This is important as you want to jump away/past your enemy and create some room in-case the enemy tries to land a blow. This gap you create will hopefully (there is no absolutes in PvP) give you a second or two to activate TU and start blocking so you build up HP in “safety”.

Traits being used;
Martial Mastery – This is essential for your survival and “rotation speed”. You do not have a dagger or a shortbow, so you only got 2 on demand evades and one “rng” evade from GS auto. Thus your bread and butter will be a combination of Serpents strike, Hornet sting/monarchs leap and GS block.

Primal Reflexes – This is a passive trait that will, on its own, secure you a considerably high vigor uptime. Between this trait, allies buffing you and Lightning Reflexes should secure 70-80% uptime, meaning – you almost always got 3-4 dodges depending on the situation.

Weaknesses: Focus from 2x condition builds can overwhelm this build depending on the enemy and the number of conditions they can dish out.

Is susceptible to stunlock if enemy has several stuns with teh ability to chain them fast. (had a nasty run-in with a skullcrack warrior and a Pistol Whip thief. Never expected to see that in the current EU meta, but well, apparently a few still run it, be careful)

You need to block as many incoming CC attacks as you can, you do not have many GTFO buttons -> Basilisk thief steal, ele RTL, Earthshaker, Skullcrack, Shield Bash, Bulls Charge.

Some builds, like hambow, can depending on the player force you off node. In that case, drag them off node, kill em, and take node. Do not let yourself die just because you “wanna win this head on”, rangers does not work that way, warriors do that.

And again THIS BUILD DOES NOT WORK IN NORTH AMERICAN PVP GAMES

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

@Prysin
Hi m8, thanx for the detailed guides and tips you put up latly. Cool hybrid build.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

This is what? A roaming build? Assault? point holder?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

This is what? A roaming build? Assault? point holder?

it will do most roles. Although you will most likely be best at roaming/assault as that “allows you” to move a lot more then point holder does.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

I can see how this build would do that pretty well. I can see how it can stay in a far or mid point fight long enough to either change the 2v1 or 2v2 but I can’t see it being able to force a defensive the way say an ele or theif could. Catching someone with dragon tooth pheonix or back stab would do more I feel or am I missing something? Also there isn’t much team utility for when a big fight kicks off.

Cover conditions for your extra burning?

I’ll give it a while when I get home since I have all the gear and I have a bunch of hours on ranger but recently left it.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

yes, the other classes could potentially provide more support through their builds, however after 2 1/2 weeks of using this in EU (albeit low level solo/team Q) i still found this build to be considerably more durable against a wider range of enemies.

So what you lose out in group support, you regain in sheer sustain and ability to duke it out for longer thus being a more “reliable” asset.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Hornet Sting → Throw Torch → deselect target: monarchs leap → swap wep: Troll Unguent + GS block

More people should learn to do this. Deselecting target in order to do monarch’s leap in any direction is always better than jumping right to your target.

If a warrior earthshakers at you and you jump to him, you get hit, if you jump through him you are still around the node, and you didn’t get hit. Also, if you detarget and still jump through your former target it still does damage and cripple but just puts you a few hundered units past them.

Seriously, it’s so easy to set up a bad ranger with a big hit because so many will just sword 2 → leap back into your face instead of making use of that second imbetween the skill reset or jumping away (especially repositioning jumping not just running away).

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I have a question. The build look nice and I’ll try it later, but one thing concerns me.

You run celestial which means okay all-around stats, but wouldn’t it be even better with Healing Spring instead of TU? I mean, tu is awesome and my favourite heal, but scales pretty bad with Healing Power and since you have some of that stat and no other regen boon, wouldn’t Spring be better?

From what I see your build is pretty tanky and can take many, many hits when standing on point. You’re not based on extreme kiting or defensive mobility so you can afford standing around Spring.

You already have two leaps on low cd, wolf leap (if worth sacraficing) and bonus regen+cleansing for both you and pet is always a good thing.

Thanks!

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Spring is horrible in PvP. It grants you a bunch of HP right there, then you gotta stand in the spring for days on end to get the full heal. CD is longer, and while 5 seconds does not sound like much, it matters more then you think.

Burst heal is good, but if all you want is burst heal then Heal As One is better.

This build is for the EU meta, the EU meta contains VERY FEW one-shot builds. It is mostly sustained damage/conditions. Healing spring is good against one shot builds, as it gives you a chunk of HP and then some more over time, it is also extremely suceptible to poison, as the cleanse does not happen before the heal. So you can end up getting 33% less heal on an already not too great burst heal skill.

Troll Unguent is better at managing DoT, it is better at healing you in general (roughly 9k HP vs 5,3k instant + 3,3k HoT). Not to mention, you got so much condi cleanse with this build, if you need more, use Empathic Bond and you get 3x active + 3 condies/10 sec. If you need even more cleanses, swap Protect Me for Signet of Renewal.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

As an avid believer that troll > healing spring. I would greatly consider healing spring in this type of build. If you are sword and GS you have access to 3 leap finishers which will heal you for about 4.5k on top of what healing spring initially heals you for. You have the evades and the sustain necessary with the weapon set to stay in/around the healing spring to get the extra regen as well. That being said, an immob or stun during your healing combo ruins your days and you can’t precast healing spring like you can with troll…

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

yeah, i mean, if you spot a thief with basilisk loaded, you just pre-load TU. If you do that with HS, you just wasted all your healing. Not to mention, realistically speaking, TU only has 15 seconds “downtime” while spring is 20 seconds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

It clears conditions, thats its main selling point other then it being a water field. The heal itself is rather bleh. HS i mean. I however like both. Heal as One is totally useless though. Poor heal, long cast time, no interesting effect.

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Question: Why not use rune of the forge? It gives you more burning up time and a much better protection, especially when you need it most?

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Question: Why not use rune of the forge? It gives you more burning up time and a much better protection, especially when you need it most?

Yes you can do that too, simply forgot about that rune :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Tamyr.3271

Tamyr.3271

Hello Prysin.

I’m Tamyr , a Member from Made in Meta and at the moment i play with [WAG].
I basically play in the top of the EU leaderboards as a Ranger.
At the moment there are only 2 active and good rangers on EU.

Well enough about me, I do know how to play Ranger and I win most of my 1on1’s.

Anyway , this build won’t work in EU. Basically just be in the % Ratings and you can run it or when you want to troll someone. It won’t ever work out in a real tournament , because it’s just bad. I do believe that a typical Bearbow with a longbow would do more than this.

Or do you talk about EU Hotjoin Meta?

Anyway. Whoever reads this , do never try this one out. Go spirit ranger , this is the EU Ranger Meta. Make some changes for some direct damage et voilá you have a good ranger build.

Saying that this is EU Meta makes my eyes bleed, literally.

Have a good day.

in Ranger

Posted by: Steve.6529

Steve.6529

I can totally underline this statement from Tamyr.

I took bleach to clean my eyes after I clicked on the link to see the “meta”

By the way.
You do believe that you “stay alive on a point”, but on the other hand you take a shout where your pet takes the damage instead of you. you didnt even think about taking a pet with more sustain , so that it doesnt only last for 2 seconds. and when you activate it the node is decapped. Nicely done, loosing the point without doing anything , in the end you just die.

your greatsword wont save you buddy

(edited by Steve.6529)

in Ranger

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Hello Prysin.

Anyway , this build won’t work in EU. Basically just be in the % Ratings and you can run it or when you want to troll someone. It won’t ever work out in a real tournament , because it’s just bad. I do believe that a typical Bearbow with a longbow would do more than this.

Anyway. Whoever reads this , do never try this one out. Go spirit ranger , this is the EU Ranger Meta. Make some changes for some direct damage et voilá you have a good ranger build.

Have a good day.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. The aforementioned build may work vs unexperienced players, but it will not work in any serious match. The meta spirit rangers already have a hard time holding against their opponents.

Leman

in Ranger

Chokolata.1870

Quite honestly, no ranger build can stand up to the current meta stuff other classes can pump out. Too much might stacking with innate sustain.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Hello Prysin.

Have a good day.

You can ask one of the other Top 3 EU teams that regularly enters (and wins) ESL weekly about this build. They run it, although they use two three different traits and pirate runes. But hey, up to you. If you feel like this would not work for/with your team, then it probably will not.

I am talking soloQ/TeamQ, i practically NEVER hotjoin. Hotjoin is just a sad, unsportsman like mode where you intentionally make fights unfair and unbalanced just to win. No fun in doing that, and really really unsportsman like.

Cheers, and GL to your team

EDIT: i will also note that while it may come across the wrong way, i do not intend to “market” this build as a “meta build” but rather a build adapted to the meta itself.

(edited by Prysin.8542)

in Ranger

Posted by: Siroso.2769

Siroso.2769

I’m curious why you think this build is less effective (or suited to playing) in the NA meta than the EU meta?

<— Broskies /Lulzranger

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

I’m curious why you think this build is less effective (or suited to playing) in the NA meta than the EU meta?

this build does not cope with the NA meta, which is basically “max tank + super heavy burst”
Just too much toughness and vitality + cleanses for it to make it there. Tried it for a week, didnt get anywhere in teamQ or SoloQ. So i abandoned it as there simply is not enough damage mitigation and DPS to make it either way.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tamyr.3271

Tamyr.3271

You can ask one of the other Top 3 EU teams that regularly enters (and wins) ESL weekly about this build.

First of all, about which teams do you talk? There are 2 Top Teams on EU which play with Ranger. And i haven’t seen a ranger since the 15th of April winning it regularly.

They run it, although they use two three different traits and pirate runes.

Pirate rune got nerfed and the parrot dies within seconds. Me personally and the 1-2 other Rangers and various other player in the EU scene do agree with the point that you should take something else than the pirate rune. For example the Melandru , or like you do it use the Earthrune , which could also be an option , but it’s not as good as the Melandru imo.

Besides this, your build is a deformation of the Survival of the Fittest ranger. There are more than just a few traits difference in your build and the build the “top Rangers” use. Survival of the Fittest Ranger is pretty nice , but playing on EU Servers means that you can’t rely only on your conditions. You need to take direct damage. All the condition cleanse makes it unviable.

And the choice of your sigills is really questionable. You need to take Fire/Air + Geomancy/Hydromancy.

Trust me, you play the regular spirit ranger on top level and there’s a variation of this build which i personally prefer and I’ll play it in the future.

Your build maybe works in Teamq but the question is ; what kinds of enemys do you have? I doubt that these people are very good player. Just because you nearly put the traits like the “Meta Build” doesn’t make it viable. The GS is just bad. Have you ever seen an ESL Finals with a Ranger without a shortbow and with a GS instead?

You’ll lose the cap and get a decap within seconds and a ranger without the rezz Spirit is just something for yolo q.
Having a torch without the greater range makes no sense for me. No one would ever get burning from it and you can’t expect that someone runs into it , not even while fighting on the point.
In addition to this , when you take this shout , take a pet which does not die within a blink of an eye. Take the bear which also deals chill or something like this , when you really want to take this skill.

But just go on with your build and say whatever you like. I doubt that you’re an active player, when you say top teams run something like this. Like I said there are only 2 Top Teams with Ranger in their lineup.

Anyway , have a good day.