PvP ranger does not work out for me

in Ranger

Posted by: Avipt.9632

Avipt.9632

Im a casual pvp player and i usualy play warrior/guardian from time to time just unranked.
I kinda like the theme of the ranger but boy do i get my kitten whooped in spvp. I use guides for builds and watch pvp videos. But you die easily and your dmg is low with LB i mean you try burst them but most classes seems to have stronger heals/defence utilities than you can muster dmg.

I dont know if this is just my experience. But ive lost a couple of games now and people complain etc etc. I dont know what i can do diffrently when i just do my best with evading bursting people, but if they dont die? I dont know what to do :P I was so into playing ranger until i started to try PvP with it, and people starting flaming me.

in Ranger

Posted by: rummy.4102

rummy.4102

Your role as a ranger/druid is team fight support, and +1’s. Make good use of your pets, that’s where your burst capabilities are. Are you playing core ranger or druid? A druid is one of the best 1v1 skirmishers in the game.

If your not using druid you are severely out gunned and out sustained.

Guildlord of [Top] (Gate of Madness)

If you don’t get it right the first time, keep on sucking until you do!

in Ranger

Avipt.9632

Nope i have not tried druid, didt think it was that dmg oriented :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Geron.8573

Geron.8573

Druid isn’t for the damage. It’s for sustain. You can last longer than the other person and wear them down.

in Ranger

Posted by: rummy.4102

rummy.4102

Check out the updated build thread for pvp in the ranger forums, there are a ton of useful druid builds and you can tweek them to suit your playstyle.

I use a variation of shoutbow and/or crusader gs/staff. Both are hugely effective but I split up my time between the builds depending on the enemy teams make-up.

Guildlord of [Top] (Gate of Madness)

If you don’t get it right the first time, keep on sucking until you do!

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Neither core ranger nor druid are about damage, never have been and never will be. They’re both about outlasting the other guy. Whether that is through healing or CC or evades or stealth or whatever.

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Don’t feel yourself forced to play the druid traitline. Standard power ranger is decent in pvp although not top tier. For casual play it is worth it to try a little harder to master your own power build. It is important to synergize your pets F2 with your own burstskills, and to mitigate incomming damage at the right time using LB #3, and GS #4 and #3 for example. For more help you should post your build here.

in Ranger

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Im a casual pvp player and i usualy play warrior/guardian from time to time just unranked.
I kinda like the theme of the ranger but boy do i get my kitten whooped in spvp. I use guides for builds and watch pvp videos. But you die easily and your dmg is low with LB i mean you try burst them but most classes seems to have stronger heals/defence utilities than you can muster dmg.

I dont know if this is just my experience. But ive lost a couple of games now and people complain etc etc. I dont know what i can do diffrently when i just do my best with evading bursting people, but if they dont die? I dont know what to do :P I was so into playing ranger until i started to try PvP with it, and people starting flaming me.

Hey there. Don’t listen to the advice about using LB, and some of the builds on Meta Battle are not optimal for Druid and will give you a bad day, as I am sure you have already seen. Many people will disagree with me, but I will leave you with these things to consider.

1. Druid is the elite spec. and is the most powerful trait-line (by far)
2. Stay away from LB because there are too many blocks, reflects, and evades that others can use to mitigate your damage (which isn’t that high to begin with).
3. Stay away from LB because staff will deal more damage over time (it’s auto attack can’t be reflected and pulses 3 times so is bound to land a hit or two)
4. Choose a build that you can last on point with. It’s a point capture game, so if you can’t survive on point, or long enough to revive an ally under pressure, your role is limited and you will feel like you can’t do the things others can (because you can’t!)

Rom and Argi have a really good sense for how Druid/Ranger works. I like the paladin greatsword build they have.

Good Luck! Start by switching to Druid!

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

(edited by Archon.6480)

in Ranger

Avipt.9632

Hey there. Don’t listen to the advice about using LB, and some of the builds on Meta Battle are not optimal for Druid and will give you a bad day, as I am sure you have already seen. Many people will disagree with me, but I will leave you with these things to consider.

1. Druid is the elite spec. and is the most powerful trait-line (by far)
2. Stay away from LB because there are too many blocks, reflects, and evades that others can use to mitigate your damage (which isn’t that high to begin with).
3. Stay away from LB because staff will deal more damage over time (it’s auto attack can’t be reflected and pulses 3 times so is bound to land a hit or two)
4. Choose a build that you can last on point with. It’s a point capture game, so if you can’t survive on point, or long enough to revive an ally under pressure, your role is limited and you will feel like you can’t do the things others can (because you can’t!)

Rom and Argi have a really good sense for how Druid/Ranger works. I like the paladin greatsword build they have.

Good Luck! Start by switching to Druid!

Thanks for the help! Wich spec do you mean, i found this thing called Crusader.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJARWnUqA1CiVsCmsCctgl/AD+s+WvrLvuMQA4JN8DOalI80A-TZBHABFcFAyuMgK7PMwhAAgHAAA

in Ranger

Avipt.9632

Tried a few games as druid now, i perform even worse :P Not really used to not doing dmg in this game just, running around fidling with the enemies :P Maybe its not noob friendly these specs

in Ranger

Archon.6480

Tried a few games as druid now, i perform even worse :P Not really used to not doing dmg in this game just, running around fidling with the enemies :P Maybe its not noob friendly these specs

Ha ha, yeah that’s OK. It takes a while to get used to. Especially CA. Look for Paladin’s Greatsword, under conquest here.

If you prefer hybrid and like sword torch, you can use this.

Notice, both builds have toughness and vitality which I think is quite necessary, if you want to survive on point for any amount of time. On my build you can also use rune of the scrapper, if you see the enemy has more direct damage and less conditions (i.e 0 or 1 reaper and you guess the Rev’s are using power).

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in Ranger

Archon.6480

Save your celestial avatar form for when you need to wipe a bunch of conditions, or when you need to Daze the enemy team. When you enter CA form decide what you want to do. Your main Skills are 3, and 4.

• Cycle between 3 and 4 to heal allies and daze enemy.
  • Cycle between 2, 3, and maybe 4 if you are fighting condi users on point.
  • Pop skill 5 near downed foe, or if you see enemy approaching 10% health, the final pulse will usually down them. You can also use it do finish off a bunch of minions.

With GS, focus on landing skill 2. Spam auto-attack when fighint another on point (keep moving). Save skill 3 for quick evade and attack, save 4 for longer block and attack. Pop skill 5 if they turn their back or side. It’s hard to land sometimes.

With SW/T, focus on laying the fire field early and throw torch is your main condi damage, but a little slow, so find the right time to use it. Sw 1 auto attack is severely underestimated by most enemies. If you can get quickness, you can burst down opponents really fast. I find alot of newer players will start to smash you when you open up with SW1 auto attack. It’s usually a free kill.

Start SW1 auto attack chain → pet swap to Bristleback (grants quickness) → f2 → continue auto attack

It’s nothing fancy but will get the job done, if they don’t move/evade.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

in Ranger

Avipt.9632

Save your celestial avatar form for when you need to wipe a bunch of conditions, or when you need to Daze the enemy team. When you enter CA form decide what you want to do. Your main Skills are 3, and 4.

• Cycle between 3 and 4 to heal allies and daze enemy.
  • Cycle between 2, 3, and maybe 4 if you are fighting condi users on point.
  • Pop skill 5 near downed foe, or if you see enemy approaching 10% health, the final pulse will usually down them. You can also use it do finish off a bunch of minions.

With GS, focus on landing skill 2. Spam auto-attack when fighint another on point (keep moving). Save skill 3 for quick evade and attack, save 4 for longer block and attack. Pop skill 5 if they turn their back or side. It’s hard to land sometimes.

With SW/T, focus on laying the fire field early and throw torch is your main condi damage, but a little slow, so find the right time to use it. Sw 1 auto attack is severely underestimated by most enemies. If you can get quickness, you can burst down opponents really fast. I find alot of newer players will start to smash you when you open up with SW1 auto attack. It’s usually a free kill.

Start SW1 auto attack chain -> pet swap to Bristleback (grants quickness) -> f2 -> continue auto attack

It’s nothing fancy but will get the job done, if they don’t move/evade.

Yeah i will try these specs I did see a ranger with LB and staff that kicked my kitten , could just be that i sucked. But ive tried PvP not for awhile since i came back and ive lost every match, littlerly every, i usually had like 50/50 winloose. Could it be season is coming and people are just preparing. Cause atm everyone seems “Pro” and the battlefield is just a clusterkitten with stuff going on :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Rock.7041

Rock.7041

I main Ranger everywhere except most dungeons. As pvp goes I ranger all day and LB at that. It does take an incredible amount of skill to be successful but it can be done…easily.

You have to know how to use your builds, you have to know how to use your terrain, and you have to be good at your playing style. You can’t sit in one spot and pew pew spam skill 2. I very rarely lose 1v1 and can be a pain in the neck in 1v2.

Know how to use your pets and taunts. That’s key for helping with survivability.

One big key is knowing who you’re up against each match. Press B, see who is on your team and see who your opponents are then formulate which roll you’ll play.

Again it takes time to master and I don’t even think I’m there yet but don’t let people tell you not to play a class you like because of what the popular opinion is. Personally I believe you can be good at any class YOU master. Just takes time and practice.

Work your build…don’t hope that the build will work itself!