Question for the beserker rangers out there

in Ranger

Posted by: Paz Shadow.9715

Paz Shadow.9715

Since the quickness nerf, what all have you done? New build? Re-roll? Waiting for the next update?

-I have spent a lot of gold on the ranger class and enjoy the aspect of being a ranged class and the lore that comes with being a ranger, I am just not sure if I want to salvage all my armor and switch builds completely or wait for the update or do something else entirely.

Thanks for any comments all

Green Eye of Grenth | PR Officer | JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

I have continued to play berserker ranger. While yes quickness was butchered hard, it just means rangers are even more of a “sustained damage” class rather than a burst class. Quickening Zephyr still serves a purpose, the added stun break is nice, and it can still be used to res allies (somewhat) faster.

That being said, because of the greatsword buff I’ve playing around with it and builds focused around it more.

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

in Ranger

Posted by: Lyndis.2584

Lyndis.2584

QZ not worth it anymore IMO. 4 seconds of 100% quickness increased DPS by an effective 400%. Now it’s 5 seconds of 50%, which is 250% effectively. That’s a 37.5% decrease in overall power over time.

Not worth it. Reroll something else. Not sure what I’m actually going to be doing with my zerker ranger that’s got more than 250+ gold in it.

.:: FaTe ~ [SoS] ::.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Rolled a Guardian.

in Ranger

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

Slightly altered my build to add in traps and GS. My DPS has dropped probably significantly, but at least the GS is fun.

Prior to the update I was running SB/SB with sigils of battle and red moa/jungle stalker. I could maintain almost constant fury from weapon swapping and the moa and would always have 6-14 stacks of might due to the weapon swapping and jungle stalker. Had a 20/30/5/0/15 build and got quickness every 15 seconds from pet swap.

Now I’m running a slightly more CC-oriented build, which is more fun but at the expense of my DPS. Changed to 20/30/20/0/0 SB/GS sigil of fire and sigil of [undecided]. Traited traps and reduced GS cooldown, and now I can (literally) fly across an open field, which is just kittens of fun.

Quickness is too slow for me to bother using now, and it’s sad

Champion Hunter

in Ranger

Posted by: Touche Amore.2083

Touche Amore.2083

QZ nerf left zerk rangers dead in the water, which seems to have been their plan all along. I loved the QZ + pet swap ‘burst’…..even though rangers have always done kitten poor damage.

now its just….useless.

I switched to all power/tough/vit armor with pack runeset (i roll warhorn for support buffs and it hunters call helps make up for the gear swap) and still roll zerk back/trinkets (those took way too long to get/infuse in fractals). Tried to be a little more beefy for a GS focused kit, but to have any kind of reliability, you need to give up all damage and trait hard in the non dmg trees. Guess you could call it a hybrid build, although rangers dont really do any one thing good…..just alot of stuff with poor numbers across the board.

Plus, the pets are always dead when it matters.

Why cant anet realize that AR doesnt help when my pet gets one shot before the agony bomb drops?

Dead pet = half a class.

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

Yeah Lyndis if those are the stats then that is pretty depressing to see in numbers. I agree that sadly the ranger bezerker build is dead too, was playing with another ranger on the forum last night who was running a healing-style build, and realized just how pathetic my build was after the update. Where I used to be able to handle almost any class, now I have a hard time with a lot more people, not sure if other classes have made better builds or my build is really that obsolete.

Guess I am just holding onto the past though, personally I have a small hope that there will be something for the longbow in the upcoming update but who knows.

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Already had an 80 guardian in full exotics doing dungeons before the quickness nerf …

As for my ranger, I gave up on it ever going into a dungeon or doing serious content again. Regulated it to doing the easier dailies, dragon/world events and low-mid-level map node harvesting. You could say I ‘retired’ her to a life of leisure …

I re-specc’ed from 30/30/10/0/0 to a 0/15/10/15/30 dual bow cat master. Cat does more damage than I do, so it kills everything while I stand back and watch and swap weapons to keep fury and might up.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

It’s not like quickening zephyr was up all the time. People were fighting most of the time without it (4 sec duration on 60 [48 traited) second cooldown for a 6.6…% [8.3…%] up-time).

Something with an up-time of less than 10% shouldn’t affect you as much as some people are claiming. Those are gross exxagerations … which are sadly common on these boards.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

You have to understand if I am running a beserker build I am going to be using all of my skills within the first 5 seconds of the fight for max damage, so if I don’t put a serious dent in my opponent then all of the sudden I have long cool downs on my non-weapon skills, paired with low vitality/toughness which a beserker build gives up for damage.

For me at least, qz+lb #4,3, then 2 would just about down my opponents (especially thieves, ele’s, necro’s), so not having that burst damage which my entire build relied on is pretty big. Of course that style of build has serious set backs like being a dead kitten when the burst is over with but I personally enjoyed that play style so for me it had a pretty big impact.

That being said, I should probably check out thief or something especially if I enjoy burst damage so much

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

@Sebrent
That is your opinion ..

Rangers were of marginal use in dungeons and any serious PvE content long before the quickness nerf, That was why I created a guardian.

Whatever the time-up was on QZ, that nerf was enough to push power/crit rangers off the cliff.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

• The numbers are not my opinion. Those are fact.
  • Rangers get a bad rep in dungeons largely because of the same reason Thieves do … there seems to be an abundance of bad players playing these two classes.
    • Probably aided by them being easy in Open World (Ranger) and PvP (Thief).
    • Rangers do have problems in dungeons, but I’ve seen first-hand the difference between a good ranger in a dungeon and a bad ranger in a dungeon. It’s immense.
  • The idea that you should be able to burst someone down in the first 5 seconds of a fight is a bad plan.
    • In the beginning of a fight, your opponent likely has all of their defensive cooldowns up as well … which they can use to counter your burst.
    • Avoiding 5 seconds of burst to win a fight is trivial … take a look at the plethora of blocks, invulns, etc. that are around 5 seconds long. Then think about dodge rolls, line of sight, etc.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

QZ not worth it anymore IMO. 4 seconds of 100% quickness increased DPS by an effective 400%. Now it’s 5 seconds of 50%, which is 250% effectively. That’s a 37.5% decrease in overall power over time.

Not worth it. Reroll something else. Not sure what I’m actually going to be doing with my zerker ranger that’s got more than 250+ gold in it.

Mathwars 2…

4 seconds of old quickness buff your dps during that time by, well, …
100%.
During 8 seconds(still 4 seconds of em quickness), the dps rose by 50%.
And during 1 second, again, 100%.

I just can’t see that 400% anywhere in there. Maybe, you could enlighten me?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

• The numbers are not my opinion. Those are fact.
  • Rangers get a bad rep in dungeons largely because of the same reason Thieves do … there seems to be an abundance of bad players playing these two classes.
    • Probably aided by them being easy in Open World (Ranger) and PvP (Thief).
    • Rangers do have problems in dungeons, but I’ve seen first-hand the difference between a good ranger in a dungeon and a bad ranger in a dungeon. It’s immense.
  • The idea that you should be able to burst someone down in the first 5 seconds of a fight is a bad plan.
    • In the beginning of a fight, your opponent likely has all of their defensive cooldowns up as well … which they can use to counter your burst.
    • Avoiding 5 seconds of burst to win a fight is trivial … take a look at the plethora of blocks, invulns, etc. that are around 5 seconds long. Then think about dodge rolls, line of sight, etc.

Exactly.
The ranger prof is a very easy class if the player doesn’t care about the mechanics, but can be rewarding when actually knowing which attack does what. (Eg axe has a 90% weakness uptime)

People also seem to miss that other professions were affected by the quickness nerf as well.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Yep … a warrior bud of mine is rather irritated about the change to frenzy. They take double-damage for the duration, which is now longer, and now they get only half the benefit.

There’s too much griping on the Ranger boards and not enough thinking.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Just wanted to hop back in here and give a more thorough explanation to those who obviously never played a zerker ranger the real reasons why it is worthless (not worthless, but much worse) now.

First and most obviously, the attack speed reduction reduces dps. The key term here being dps. I would combo properly with my pet to get near guaranteed 100% hits during those 4s (chain cc). Now, you have to do the same thing in 5s and still result in less dps. Effectively, burst was removed from the profession. Sure, the up time of the skill wasn’t very much, but the point was being able to apply high burst damage in those 4s. Without the ability to burst as well, other professions have much more time to pop cleanses, stun breaks, or walk off the lowered damage and heal. I’m sure almost no zerker rangers played like a 100b warrior and tried to insta-gib opponents in 5s, it was much more about weakening them first and bursting at the proper moment to ensure a down. Without the effective quick burst, zerker rangers are at much higher risk of failing.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

I took my title off and changed my dyes. Still playing the same setup.

Sure the burst is crap, but I have no interest in playing the usual trap/bm/bunker builds with signets. The utilities for this class are not that great so QZ is still the best horse at the glue factory. Zerker still works for zerg surfing.

Although not being able to take down a thief with one QZ rapid fire is annoying though. It’s so much easier to dodge.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

to be honest, when I ran glass cannon, I stopped using QZ after they nerfed shortbow with it..

Just wasn’t worth it as longbow got squat for a benefit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Get over it. Quickness was OP and the ranger’s reliance on it to do crap was just another flaw of the class.

You can still play berserker and hurt people. No, you won’t have the impact of an ele or engineer on zerg fights.

But a GS/lbow build is doable. The real issue still is and has always been the pet not cleaving and its kitten uptime/survivability in larger scale fights/dungeons. Then you have pets that are completely useless.

We also have outdated traits — my thief gets a damage boost combined with the signet recharge decrease in a single trait. The ranger needs a lot of his traits consolidated and some traits like piercing arrows made baseline.

Berserker is still your best build in PvE, especially dungeons. Your pet will be in the dirt so often in fractals you might as well hit hard with maul and rapid fire in between cooldowns.

in Ranger

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

For wvwvw my main is mesmer. Rangers (those “great” zerk rangers with bows) was just free frag for me always, before and after nerf. I had only problems with melee oriented based on some annoying pet rangers, (cats etc) not those bowmans.
You see ranger. Step back, all damage wasted. You see ranger, cast feedback, ranger killed himself. You see ranger, cast iwarden, burst wasted. You see ranger, just blink, pull him to you and kill with sword. Free frag always. I need to be blind to die because of some bowman.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

I fully understand that some people really relied on those 4 seconds to gain an advantage. My point is that against good players, you never got this advantage as they knew it was coming and always saved a cooldown or two for handling it, especially if you popped it right at the beginning of the fight (like most people do).

Berserker Ranger can be done, but it is quite difficult given that the Ranger seems to have lower power coefficients (NOTE: I haven’t tested this yet) than other classes in order to compensate for the pet which does not benefit from that power.

If you’re running with zergs and not zerg busting, Berserker from range can be quite effective as the Ranger has the skills required to evacuate quickly into the back of their zerg (or completely away) if pressured.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Mathwars 2…

4 seconds of old quickness buff your dps during that time by, well, …
100%.
During 8 seconds(still 4 seconds of em quickness), the dps rose by 50%.
And during 1 second, again, 100%.

I just can’t see that 400% anywhere in there. Maybe, you could enlighten me?

This seemed ridiculous to me as well, but I think he got his numbers in the following way. 4 seconds of +100% for the 400%, and 5 seconds of +50% for the 250%. Anyways, as for what I do, I still often run QZ but as always I switch up my utilities based on the fight or my mood.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Yeah, his math was quite wrong.

Let’s assume you do 100 damage per second.
With +100% attack speed, you’ll do 200 damage per second.
So, for 4 seconds of old_quickness, you’ll do 200 * 4 = 800 damage.
We need a 5th second though, so you’ll do another 100 damage at the 5th second so 800 + 100 = 900 damage.

With +50% attack speed, you’ll do 150 damage per second.
So, for 5 seconds of new_quickness, you’ll do 150 * 5 = 750 damage

(900 – 750) / 900 = 16.6…% So you experience a 16.6…% decrease in dps. This is vastly different than the math given before. This is why some people are complaining like it’s the end of the world for Rangers’ burst and others are looking at them quite quizzically.

“Learn to math” or don’t try to explain things with math, people

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

went back to full knights armor and zerker jewels, noticed how there is basically 0 difference in both damage and survivability (except now i get more aggro), got depressed and went back to raise fotm level (only 25 more to go to be on par with my ranger! yay!) on my guardian

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

What was killing you?
What other (if any) issues were you facing?
What build were you using? (weapons, pets, too)
What was your group’s composition?
What fractals did you end up getting?
Have you tried Cleric’s?

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but quickness didn’t work properly on Crossfire. When they stealth nerfed it with the graphical glitch the skill didn’t gain the full benefit of quickness. Since they nerfed quickness, I believe someone has said it’s a 37% IAS instead of the stated 50%. If this is the case, quickness is actually worse than you think with a short bow.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but quickness didn’t work properly on Crossfire. When they stealth nerfed it with the graphical glitch the skill didn’t gain the full benefit of quickness. Since they nerfed quickness, I believe someone has said it’s a 37% IAS instead of the stated 50%. If this is the case, quickness is actually worse than you think with a short bow.

Yes, the quickness effect on SB is around 33% now (was 70ish before), i noticed this myself and i think someone else ran some tests a few weeks ago on these forums.

But thats just SB, the weapons who were hurt more are LB (long channels, no “animation bug” ) and GS in pvp (stun and 2 unrealiable due to huge windups, double speed was nice if every third attack is an evade)

(edited by Aegis.9724)

in Ranger

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

We need a 5th second though, so you’ll do another 100 damage at the 5th second so 800 + 100 = 900 damage.

(900 – 750) / 900 = 16.6…% So you experience a 16.6…% decrease in dps. This is vastly different than the math given before. This is why some people are complaining like it’s the end of the world for Rangers’ burst and others are looking at them quite quizzically.

Pretty much this. If Serbent didn’t satisfy you with a random number, we could use variables to show the exact same effect. The general equation would be:

(2x*4 + x – 1.5x*5)/(2x*4 + x) = fractional reduction in dps (where x is your expected damage). Then,

(2x*4 + x – 1.5x*5)/(2x*4 + x) = (9x – 7.5x)/(9x) = (1.5x)/(9x) = 1/6 = 16.66% reduction in dps

So regardless of what your expected damage is, the reduction of dps is a constant ratio.

The problem with berserker rangers is that they want to hit hard and be done with it, but this profession is built on sustained damage. Yes, ANet advertised it as a game where you can play whatever you want with whatever profession, but that is not the case. Berserker rangers were already subpar, and now they are only slightly more subpar. It’s not a huge difference from before.

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Too unreliable due to huge windups?
Maul is on a 6 second cooldown (4.75 traited). Endurance regenerates at 5% per second and requires 50% for a single dodge roll. If a person is dodging my mauls, they are not dodging my other attacks so they are not breaking my auto-attack chain, getting nailed by my pet, hit by my hilt bash, stuck in my traps, etc.

Without quickness, Greatsword’s auto-attack chain is 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.75 = 1.75 seconds. The last hit provides 1.0 seconds of evasion. 1.0 / 1.75 = 57.14%. So you’re evading over half the time you’re auto-attacking. That’s good without needing quickness.

<edit>

Just saw your post.
<3 Menorah

</edit>
Better yourself.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

It’s not 5% regeneration simply because many builds run with perma vigor, and some people run Orrian Truffle and meat stew food for 40% extra endurance regen.

And if you’re not dodging maul against a berserker ranger you are making it so much easier to lose, because my mauls hit for 5-6k without using signets, while my autoattacks at best hit for 3k on the last hit of the chain and mostly 2k.

You don’t need to be dodging the pet if you just strafe around as the pet will try to run up, use the animation to hit and root itself while you keep moving and negate a lot of the pet’s damage.

You dodge 3 things against a GS ranger. Maul, Hilt Bash, and the wolf’s knockdown. If he doesn’t have a wolf, you have the luxury to dodge his swoop and permakite him as he needs to use throw sword to cripple, and throwing the sword roots him in place while you can either dodge the obvious animation or let it hit and simply cleanse the condition and kite him to death.

If the ranger is smart he’ll try to close distance while shooting with the longbow and switch weapons if he gets close, because if he switches weapons and puts a 10 sec weapon swap cd and swoops from range, you can create distance against the ranger with things like thief shortbow 3 spam and have a good 6-7 free seconds of the ranger not doing anything to you.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

The food +regen doesn’t stack with vigor. If you read about endurance regeneration, it is capped at +100% which is what vigor gives it.

You say you don’t need to dodge the pet but you also say they need to dodge the dog’s knockdown. Interesting here is that this could be 1 to 3 knockdowns you try to dodge depending on if a hyena is used and if pet swap is used quickly after the first knockdown attempt.

Your examples display a ranger that is too stubborn to swap out of greatsword when they need to and wastes cooldowns.

I’m not aware of many good rangers that try to melee a thief at the beginning of a fight when they have good ranged options to choose from.

Lastly, 2k and 3k when you’re also evading over 50% of the time is quite good. No, it’s not the 8k+ we see from glass cannons, but you can take more damage than a glass cannon. You also have a pet whom, if you use it correctly in tandem with your ranger, will be landing several hits. Take a look at some of the higher levels of play with Rangers and you’ll see several ways this is accomplished.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

The food +regen doesn’t stack with vigor. If you read about endurance regeneration, it is capped at +100% which is what vigor gives it.

You say you don’t need to dodge the pet but you also say they need to dodge the dog’s knockdown. Interesting here is that this could be 1 to 3 knockdowns you try to dodge depending on if a hyena is used and if pet swap is used quickly after the first knockdown attempt.

Your examples display a ranger that is too stubborn to swap out of greatsword when they need to and wastes cooldowns.

I’m not aware of many good rangers that try to melee a thief at the beginning of a fight when they have good ranged options to choose from.

Lastly, 2k and 3k when you’re also evading over 50% of the time is quite good. No, it’s not the 8k+ we see from glass cannons, but you can take more damage than a glass cannon. You also have a pet whom, if you use it correctly in tandem with your ranger, will be landing several hits. Take a look at some of the higher levels of play with Rangers and you’ll see several ways this is accomplished.

Do you read? I said people with access to permavigor or the stew (because classes like necro don’t have access to vigor, and if you don’t trait in wilderness survival as a ranger you don’t either, so you use the regen food).

What’s so hard to distinguish about ignoring the general impact of a pet and a knockdown leap from said pet on a cooldown? Once you dodge the pet leap you have a huge time window to just kite the hell out of the pet.

And who the hell uses hyenas in any large scale engagement like wvw or dungeons, where the summoned hyenas are promptly dispatched? But quite frankly I think I lose interest in arguing with cheerleaders.

P.S. Your GS autos don’t crit for 2-3k as bunker. Those are the numbers for my glass cannon ranger, so get off the pot. A knight build ranger instead will more likely see 1.3-1.5k crits on the auto, and the evade is on 50% of the time, WHEN YOU MIGHT NOT NEED IT. It’s like saying engineer elixirs are so great with buffs, when the fact is that people hate the mechanic because often the supposed benefit will be wasted.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

The typical rotation in a fight with GS+SB or GS+LB is fight in range for as long as possible. If your opponent tries to seriously pressure you, you throw in GS to shake things up. The swap to GS gives you quickness, which makes it hard to dodge the incoming hilt bash. From there, you typically chain a maul just to force a dodge, so you can swoop him right there into an autoattack chain.
The GS as a defensive sidearm is typically used to pressure the opponent into backing off, so you can break out your ranged weapon again.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

It’s funny how you do more dps with 20/20/0/0/30 due to pets not sucking arses in general PVE.

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Since the quickness nerf, what all have you done? New build? Re-roll? Waiting for the next update?

-I have spent a lot of gold on the ranger class and enjoy the aspect of being a ranged class and the lore that comes with being a ranger, I am just not sure if I want to salvage all my armor and switch builds completely or wait for the update or do something else entirely.

Thanks for any comments all

I used to run a LB/GS power-ranger, full zerk. After the nerf I dropped wilderness knowledge (more uptime for QZ) for moment of clarity (more damage from GS), and tried to rework my zerker build around the greatsword. I did see higher GS damage than before the patch and did alright in PvE, but a glass cannon can’t melee in PvP and the longbow is just broken now, so after a couple of days I gave up and switched to a shortbow trapper.

If you want to change builds don’t salvage your armor, Anet wants each class to have multiple builds to choose from so berserker might become a valid option again in the future. I cashed in the karma I was saving for Kudzu to buy a full set of rabid temple armor, but I still run with berserker ascended gear for now.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Pretty much this. If Serbent didn’t satisfy you with a random number, we could use variables to show the exact same effect. The general equation would be:

(2x*4 + x – 1.5x*5)/(2x*4 + x) = fractional reduction in dps (where x is your expected damage). Then,

(2x*4 + x – 1.5x*5)/(2x*4 + x) = (9x – 7.5x)/(9x) = (1.5x)/(9x) = 1/6 = 16.66% reduction in dps

So regardless of what your expected damage is, the reduction of dps is a constant ratio.

The problem with berserker rangers is that they want to hit hard and be done with it, but this profession is built on sustained damage. Yes, ANet advertised it as a game where you can play whatever you want with whatever profession, but that is not the case. Berserker rangers were already subpar, and now they are only slightly more subpar. It’s not a huge difference from before.

It is a very huge difference. Berserker rangers have been explaining this on the forum since the nerf, but other rangers just don’t seem to want to understand. You can’t calculate the effects of the quickness nerf across the board for berserkers like you can for other builds, because it dramatically affected the damage output from two high damage, slow casting skills (Rapid Fire and Barrage) that berserkers rely on for spiking opponents down. No other weapon was affected this way. Sword, SB, Axe, and GS took a slight damage reduction to their standard attack chain, but longbow had its burst potential nerfed into the ground. Under no circumstances do you ever cast barrage without quickness, so essentially our primary source of spike and AoE damage took a full 25% damage cut from the quickness nerf. Every time you cast it you’re doing 150% damage now instead of 200%.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

@naphack: if you’re focusing on “rotations”, you’re already limiting your capabilities. That is an arbitrary restriction on how you use your skills that doesn’t do you any favors and limits your ability to get better. It also makes you predictable which makes you much easier to kill.

@Daemon: your post doesn’t make sense. Quickness works the same for one ability that does 5k over 5 seconds as it does another ability that has to be used 10 times in 5 seconds but also does 5k. Just because Rapid Fire is a channeled skill doesn’t mean that quickness operates different on it.

We are well aware that there are berserker rangers that thought they had to blow it all up in the first 4 seconds or lose. What we’ve been saying is that that is a bad playstyle that is going to get you killed against anything that isn’t a baddie.

What’s somewhat amusing to me is the fact that Rapid Fire is a 5 second channel, so before the change quickness only affected 4 of those 5 seconds. Now quickness affects all 5 seconds.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

What’s somewhat amusing to me is the fact that Rapid Fire is a 5 second channel, so before the change quickness only affected 4 of those 5 seconds. Now quickness affects all 5 seconds.

logic fail?
5 second channel at +100% speed is a 2.5s channel

but i havent seen any mention of quickness on pet swap; which is why the quickness nerf hit ranger harder than any other class (you could argue frenzy… but id disagree)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

logic fail?
5 second channel at +100% speed is a 2.5s channel

but i havent seen any mention of quickness on pet swap; which is why the quickness nerf hit ranger harder than any other class (you could argue frenzy… but id disagree)

Ah, whoops, you are correct.

I agree about the quickness on pet-swap. We were given no compensation with that skill. QZ at least gained 1 extra second and became a stunbreaker.

Mesmer’s time warp got hit just as hard. No compensation there either.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Mesmer Time Warp is group wide. It needed no compensation because it was stupidly strong, and I say this as someone who has a mesmer. Time Warp was too good and it was just a matter of time before it got nerfed.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Time Warp was not too good. It was balanced around having to clump your group up under it and its long cooldown. Not to mention people can simply move out of range of your group while you are standing in that timewarp … sadly many were too stupid to do so so they died to 5 people with quickness.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Time Warp was not too good. It was balanced around having to clump your group up under it and its long cooldown. Not to mention people can simply move out of range of your group while you are standing in that timewarp … sadly many were too stupid to do so so they died to 5 people with quickness.

Boom, what me and my friends would do in tPvP was “fake” a team fight at mid (we were all super mobile and had tons of escapes), and once they popped Time Warp just disengaged and got everything else, it’s like "Whelp, don’t gotta worry about that skill for a while!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Lol, very nice :-) Smart plan and a great example of adapting.

So many people think they have to punch through everything … obviously the answer to everything is “MORE DPS!” ;-)

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Lol, very nice :-) Smart plan and a great example of adapting.

So many people think they have to punch through everything … obviously the answer to everything is “MORE DPS!” ;-)

lol ours was evade and ambush xD 2 trap rangers, 2 trap + burst thieves + a S/D burst ele… poor enemy team couldn’t make it to most points before we collapsed in on them and killed them in 2v1 or 1v1 skirms, but my god did we suck in team fights lol, just avoid those things xD

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Yeah, I was not saying his math was right, just explaining how I think he got to the numbers he did. And I think that people should clarify a bit more whether they are talking about pve or pvp when they say OP. Some things are too strong or too weak in pve, and some things are too strong or too weak in pvp. That’s why there should be more skill splits instead of blanket nerfs/buffs.

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

But anyways, why are you talking about TW in the ranger forum? o.0

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Yeah, I was not saying his math was right, just explaining how I think he got to the numbers he did. And I think that people should clarify a bit more whether they are talking about pve or pvp when they say OP. Some things are too strong or too weak in pve, and some things are too strong or too weak in pvp. That’s why there should be more skill splits instead of blanket nerfs/buffs.

100% agree with you.

I think ArenaNet changed their mind and is moving towards more skill splits because they have realized how widespread this problem is and the magnitude of the challenge trying to fix it without more splits.

Better yourself.

in Ranger

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Yeah, in GW1 they did that towards the end and it actually worked really well.

in Ranger

Paz Shadow.9715

Since my original post I bought full another exotic build running a regen-style build, and have been playing around with it a bit. Although I like how much longer I can last in a fight, and I definitely have better fights, I like the numbers I put up/the play style I have with my beserker build better. Guess it just comes down to preference at the end!

For me personally, it was not the damage that quickness gave me that was important (although the damage reduction, whatever amount it may be, has hurt my build), rather the reduced animation times of skills that helped me out a lot. #4 longbow skill comes to mind, as well as barrage and rapid fire.

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Have you tried combining pieces of Berserker, Valkyrie, Soldier, Knight’s, and/or Cavalier?

You can mix and match those for a good mix of power, precision, crit damage, toughness, and/or vitality.

Better yourself.