Random Chrispy Ranger Ideas

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

…Because if I titled my thread “Trait Idea! Quivers!” or something like that, it wouldn’t sound as cool! anyways, In this edition of Ranger Ideas, I have several new ideas to present to you, including:::

(1)Trait Ideas
(2)Passive Pets
(3)???
(4)Profit!

I am going to keep all of my ideas for the Ranger class in one thread from now on, including some previous suggestions, after I rework them.

First up is…..
TRAITs

I have an idea for 4 new Grandmaster Ranger Traits. These traits affect each and every single arrow that you fire, and the effect stacks each and every time the arrow deals damage. They’re meant to be able to stack with all other bow attacks, and with each other for even greater effect. I also want to make them powerful enough that you would want to take them instead of another Grandmaster Trait. I also want to make it to where you can’t just evade or block your way through a Rangers Barrage, Rapid Fire, etc. without consequence. They are:::

Glass Arrowheads Marksmanship
Effect Conditions caused by your Arrows last 25% longer.
Effect 2 If your Arrows are Blocked or Evaded, they Shatter at the point of Impact, damaging all nearby foes. (damage is with a 0.05 coefficient?)

Weighted Arrows Skirmishing
Effect You Inflict vulnerability with every Arrow you fire.(5 seconds)
Effect 2 If your Arrows are Blocked, they still deal 50% damage. All conditions and effects caused by arrows still activate (but not CC’s).

Winter Arrows Wilderness Survival
Effect Your arrows transfer 1 second of a condition you are afflicted with to your target.
Effect 2 If your Arrows are Blocked or Evaded, they shatter at the point of impact, chilling nearby foes.(Chill for 1 second)

Spiritwood Arrows Nature Magic
Effect Every time your Arrows Damage a Target, Allies near the target are healed for a little. (healed for 25 + 5% of healing power?)
Effect 2 Your Arrows are Immune to Retaliation.

How would they work?
Well, lets use Spiritwood Arrows. Every time your arrows damage a target, they heal up to 5 targets for 25 hp (75 at 1000 healing power, 125 at 2000 healing power). that doesn’t seem like alot, but, if you use barrage, and all 5 targets are hit all 12 times, you actually heal 5 nearby allies for 1500 each. At 2000 healing power, you would heal for 7500 each. Also, they are immune to Retaliation so, you have no fear of being instantly killed if you use barrage in a zerg in WvW.

Using Winter Arrows, using the same thing, you hit 5 targets 12 times, thats 60 total. That is 60 seconds worth of conditions that you not only lose, but you transfer to your enemies. Of course, if people or enemies think they are too awesome for damage, and all 5 targets block and evade 12 times, good lord…thats 60 seconds of Chill…or if its a zerg, it gets transferred around to all of them, whoever is closer to the blocker and evader at the time. Maybe you should have just avoided that barrage circle and went around it?

Okay, Weighted Arrows. You deal vulnerability every time you shoot an arrow, which should make it stupid easy to keep 25 stacks up at all times. Also, whenever someone blocks your arrows, they still take 50% of the damage it deals, as well as any conditions and effects that would have activated (incuding the vulnerability from this trait), but Crowd Control effects would not work, because that would be too OP. Piercing Arrows would cause that arrow to fly right through the target and keep going, even if it was blocked!

Now we have Glass Arrowheads. Conditions already last 25% longer, but if they are blocked or evaded, they shatter, dealing more damage. Say you have 2500 power. against 2500 armor, you would deal 50 damage to surrounding enemies (for you super zerkers out there, you would deal 125 damage with 100% critical damage). If you have Sharpened Edges traited, then those surrounding enemies would also get bleed applied to them as well on critical hit, and your pet would also gain might if you have Companion’s Might traited.

Chances are you would only have one equipped at any time, but invest into equipping two of them at once, and you can see the effects start to stack up on one another quite quickly. I hope I didn’t make this idea seem, too overpowered…

So, how’s this idea? Rate it on a scale of 1 to 10?

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shinra.9348

Shinra.9348

I really like Glass Arrowheads, but the others and even Glass Arrowheads all would need Internal cooldowns for them to even be implemented otherwise the other classes would cry out in pain of OP rangers. The ideas are solid but they need cooldowns.

in Ranger

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

Everything sounds a bit OP to me.

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

I kind of started with the traits being OP so that we could take away what we don’t like, add a cooldown, or change some thing around until we got them to something we liked enough to say “HEY ANET! WE WANT THIS IN THE GAME!”, but I’ll get to them later if someone actually suggests any changes to them, but lets get to one of my many other Random, sometimes too OP ideas!

Edit : reworking the idea for new pets a little. check back …later

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

in Ranger

Posted by: Donnach Donnchadha.7864

Donnach Donnchadha.7864

I really like your trait ideas. Its reminiscent of preparations from GW1, however, I agree with others in that they would need an ICD or something, and it would likely need to affect attacks in general instead of just arrows to accommodate all play styles. The flavor value of it is immense though.

in Ranger

Chrispy.5641

I’m working on it, turning those trait ideas into useable (and not purposly OP) traits, but first! I have another few trait ideas that will make other professions cry out from every corner of the world “WOLF! ITS A WOLF!”……sorry, wrong story, I mean “OP!! ITS TOO OP!!!!”

So anyways, I noticed that aside from the Ranger’s ability to inflict the chill condition, we also have 7 pets that can inflict the condition. You know what though? I never see anyone take these critters along as pets. Its either because of long cooldowns, or they are bugged.

You know what we should get (aside from fixing the bugs?), that would make everyone scream out across the land at how hard it suddenly becomes to kill us (which they might even if all Ranger bugs were fixed?) We should get a new Trait in Wilderness Survival that lets us deal more condition damage.

Spirit of Winter Wilderness Survival
Effect 1 : Chill deals damage. (You and Pet)
Effect 2 : Chill lasts 25% longer when inflicted by your pet.

How it works
(1)Pets – if you have Malicious Training and this trait, Chill will last 75% longer than normal. That should make about 1/6th of our pets a little more useful, expecially since some, like the polar bear, apply it for a pathetically short amount of time, with some awfully long cooldowns.

(2)Rangers -The Ranger himself has a few ways to access Chill. First, its on their Axe #3 (Winter’s Bite), plus they have a Frost Trap, and a Spirit of Frost, that can both also apply it. There’s an ice field that really helps when you use attacks like Axe #2 (Splitblade), There’s also a Sigil that applies it on weapon swap, a food that applies it at night, and there’s also alot of runes that can help you apply it as well, etc. So, yeah, you have no problems there.

(3)Damage – I’m not actually sure what the damage should be for something like this. The Damage that Poison does is on the low end (84 + 10% of Condition Damage), and the damage that Fear does(necro’s traited with terror) is on the high end(302 + 25% of Condition Damage).

Other Notes

• This would make the Mainhand Axe more useful and probably cement its role a little more as a condition weapon, instead of “what the heck does it do?!?”
  • The Frost Trap would actually do damage instead of just sitting there, only applying one condition.
  • I am not suggesting that it replace any other trait. I am just suggesting that it be added as another option. Seriously, who really thinks that we must have only 12 major traits, from release to when this game gets the nails in the coffin?
  • “Well, Wait a minute, Chrispy! Why Rangers? Shouldn’t Elementalists be getting something like this?” Why yes, Elementalists should be getting, probably the exact same trait, just with a different second effect, since, you know, they aren’t gifted and/or hated enough to have a pet thrown on them that they have to micromanage all the time. But, this is the Ranger Forums, and I rarely play Elementalists, so you could go make a similar suggestion there, or in the suggestions forum.
  • I actually tried for once to not make an OP idea/suggestion, but I am sure that someone is going to to call it that anyways. I did however, use way more sarcasm than normal.

So there! What do you guys think of this? Do you like it? Hate it? You’re going to give up all hope for Rangers and your going to go reroll a Warrior? Is it still too OP?