Ranger/Dragonhunter Longbow/Trap Comparison

in Ranger

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

New article on TTH just sharing thoughts on skill and trap comparisons:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorial/guild-wars-2-ranger-and-dragonhunter-comparison

in Ranger

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Your numbers for damage are way off, you compare tooltips with stats to the wiki base tooltips

in Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

How can we compare with the ranger’s traps if we don’t know how they’ll look like after the update?
Devs said that they will be changed to compensate the time to setup that will be added, but nothing else was said.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I highly doubt they are changing the core mechanics of our traps. I can see scaling the damage up a bit to compensate for arming time…but hoping for fundamental changes is a bit of a pipe dream.

Not that they are even comparable anyway. I mean spike trap vs. that spinning blade thing DH gets? Yeah.

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Pretty much with Gotejjeken said. Also, the devs noted that the radius increase from Trapper’s Expertise might become a baseline, so both are going to be equal (at least) on that front.

On the flip side between how traps work when traited for, guaranteed bleeds on hit for DH traps have me worried. Not sure who thought that was a good idea with 2 traps that can hit 10×. If it was on crit, then I wouldn’t mind so much.

At least Rangers can toss our traps (for what it’s worth) and can trait for lower cds on already decent cd traps vs long cds of DH traps that cannot be tossed or traited for faster access.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

in Ranger

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

New article on TTH just sharing thoughts on skill and trap comparisons:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/editorial/guild-wars-2-ranger-and-dragonhunter-comparison

That article is a joke.

He doesn’t include CD issue, and saying RF hitting 10 hits is a good thing easily discredit all his points. We rangers always suffer from retaliation significantly.

True shot has a CD of 4 and spammability of 5 seconds per usage.
RF has a CD of 8 (when traited), takes 2.5 seconds to finish, so the spammability is 10.5 seconds per usage. In the stream, that Guardian is not even using Zerker Gear. I’d expect a 6k+ damage when go full zerker in PVP alone. True Shot is a true “burst” skill that you either dodge or die, while RF Is a channel skill that takes 2.5 seconds to complete, and easily negate a large portion of damage by competent players.
Also True Shot has wider range than piercing arrows and grants stability when traited.

As for Auto attack, I’m surprised that Guardian’s auto actually does more damage than 1000+ range LB damage.. This is seriously insulting tbh. Guadian’s auto also does not require to stand in line to hit multiple targets, which is MUCH BETTER in PVP.

Also expecting Barrage to hit for full 10 seconds is a joke, so Barrage’s damage is vastly inferior than Hunter Ward. Barrage would probably hit for 2 seconds at best against a single target, whereas Hunter Ward will do large damage in 3 seconds and set a death sentence to enemies by trapping them for 3 seconds. PVP and WvW wise Guardian’s LB5 wins 100%, no comparison. Not to mention Barrage is a suicide skill in WvW because of retaliation.

For LB4, Guardian’s version is a much better AOE with good AOE damage that ranger’s always lack, and also has good utilities on it. Also it doesn’t get affected by projectile deflector, does not require LoS to hit someone, is a HUGE plus in PVP.

Guess Anet doesn’t want ranger to be ranger anyway. They’re pushing us into being a Guardian by giving us a staff, while making Guardian a better ranger… What a joke.
Just rename “Dragon Hunter” to “True Ranger” already.

(edited by Toxsa.2701)

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That is why they ‘should’ be looking at a fundamental change.

in Ranger

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

All comparisons that try to show one skill versus another fall down because you need to look at the whole picture.

Ranger traps are clearly condition damage. So you’re going to be looking at weapons, armor, sigils and runes that complement them. If you’re trying to use all traps, you’ll take traits to deal with things like condi removal and stun breaking because those are usually utilities. It turns out, rangers have all those things.

When I looked at trying to make a guardian trapper, it seemed like I would have to keep at least one utility slot open for a condi clear. And when you look at the trap damage, it’s a hybrid of physical and condi. So you may end up with hybrid (cele?) gear to be most effective. That’s not a downside per se – it just means that comparing the final damage is tricky. And while it’s true that guardian traps could get 10 bleeds, it would require forcing the opponent to stay in place for quite a while.

The long cooldowns on the traps and the fact that guardians don’t have ready access to easily apply a lot of condis quickly means that the condi part of the guardian damage is more easily cleansed.

At least that’s the way it looks to me.

I wouldn’t mind getting some boost to traps if their effectiveness is being hurt by the arming mechanism. Mostly, I hope that trapper runes continue to function reasonably well after the changes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

How can we compare with the ranger’s traps if we don’t know how they’ll look like after the update?
Devs said that they will be changed to compensate the time to setup that will be added, but nothing else was said.

It states the numbers will be updated once we get the opportunity to get in game

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I am guessing they will be overly cautious with the compensation and that will cause the traps to not see play leading to nerfs to survival and signet traits to make traps/spirits/shouts look better.

Only slight off topic I can see rangers getting blamed for knock backs caused be the guardian longbow trait (the name of which is escaping me at the moment).

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

(edited by Bran.7425)

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

As a wvw player i think the DH will be better in wvw. All of the skills looks like something what they constructed fof wvw. Mass cc, bouncing high dmg aa, group support, 1 shot burst skill with default piercing, mass blind with deflect and if anything comes close to you knockback? And ofc with higher base armor and group support.
Maybe ranger can kill dh in 1v1 but in team DH wins.
So if they not surprise rangers with the druid i think i will pass my kudzu to my gua.
Image the wvw when all of the guardians (or every 2nd one) have a bow

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

It states the numbers will be updated once we get the opportunity to get in game

rough comparison, assuming similar scale ups, your rng numbers off by 2-2.5

one thing that makes it clear the DH is using some power amulets,
is 1hand sword autoattack hits for 648 and bow AA doinf like 548-590.

since sword AA via wiki is like 269 you know DH bow AA would be at least lower than that, probably around 220-240

this totally alters all the data, and you start too se rng traps are actually now bad at all, especially with changes to intensity stacking.

you start to see that
ranger long bow AA outdmgs DH at greater than 500 range

long bow 2 does like 2x the dmg of true shot, though it has a channel

rng longbow 5 does like 2.5 the dmg, with half the recast time, though DH has some strong control.

traps:
flame Vs Procession

175 per pulse versus 193 per hit. but blade hits faster than 1 pulse x10
burning per pulse though makes a big difference.
with half the recast time, 2 fire traps outdmg blade.
however blade is burst, flame trap requires the enemy to sit in the fire.

and thats the big difference id say, ranger traps are basically slow dmging/controlling area denial, whereas DH are actually more trap like, decent quick dmg, or big control