Ranger Kicked Out of Meta

in Ranger

Posted by: Sultane.9150

Sultane.9150

According to metabattle, the ranger is no longer meta in PvP.

Of course, I always take metabattle with a grain of salt…I usually run variant versions of their builds anyway.

BUT

I’ve been in PvP for a couple years now and I usually find that metabattle is accurate. When ranger wasn’t meta (pre-HOT), it really wasn’t. I still played ranger though. However, when HOT came out, it was like easy-mode ranger, and, for the first time, ranger was meta. I’ve been pretty happy since. And, honestly, I felt like S5/6 were the most balanced overall.

Now I am by no means saying that metabattle is infallible. But, to me, this is a pretty bad sign.

Now we have 7/9 classes listed as meta instead of 8/9. Where’s the balance?

Thoughts?

in Ranger

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

People haven’t adjusted yet. Not posting on metabattle but I found a ranger build that just absolutely destroys everyone in spvp. The builds will come, people just need to starting thinking outside of the box.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

Thoughts?

Go with what you like and ignore the rest. I’ve actually had faced some rangers in pvp 1v1 as a warrior, incredibly skilled ones give me the hardest time.

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

The nerfs on ranger were quite harsh. There is no ranger build that destroys people in higher tier pvp. I expect thief/mes/ele/engi/rev or necro to be new meta team. Warrior will fall out, druid already fell out a bit but will be removed from meta I think. Still, its healing potential and mobility will make sure that we will be far from useless (what we used to be once).

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

Dude it’s been two days and we’re still way off from the next PvP season, shoutbow and power survival with probably nature magic will still be viable, and in a world where warriors fall off, rangers do better.

Evasive purity is crazy good

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvt Frosty.6973

Pvt Frosty.6973

Judging from first scrims in the new meta I can tell you this much:
It is FAR too early to tell what will be meta.
So far tho, this much I can say with certainty: nothing beats druids 1v1 anymore.

The deciding factor will be if druid can be played tanky enough to survive outnumbered pressure whoile still keeping their 1v1 prowess.

Just Filthy Kasuals – Bowscoooped!
YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Necro still beats ranger 1v1.

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

(edited by RedCobra.7693)

in Ranger

Pvt Frosty.6973

What makes you say that?

YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Funniest thing ive read for a while…same as Necro beats Thief.

On equal skill level, ranger/teef should always beat necro.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in Ranger

Posted by: angrypenguin.1839

angrypenguin.1839

Only class that really worries me right now is Mes. I can beat a bad mes and find them not too much trouble in a team battle, tough in a 1v1.

The rest are usually stalemate worst case and some I can just roll. Of course I run against better players at times that wipe me, but that’s to be expected.

in Ranger

Pvt Frosty.6973

On equal skill level, ranger/teef should always beat necro.

Pretty much, yea. Necro can kill both druids and thief, but the odds are against him.

YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Pvt Frosty.6973

Only class that really worries me right now is Mes. I can beat a bad mes and find them not too much trouble in a team battle, tough in a 1v1.

The rest are usually stalemate worst case and some I can just roll. Of course I run against better players at times that wipe me, but that’s to be expected.

The main issue with the chrono matchup is that many druids don’t actually know how to properly play it. It’s the most fun matchup for druid considering all the small nicks and tricks each opponent can employ. Generally though, druid beats Mesmer. But the exact outcome and prediction depends and is ridiculously complex!

The big threat is the crazy scaling chrono has with thief.

I can try summarise just all the nuances surrounding the druid/chrono matchup but not sure I even got them all down anymore ^^

YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I don’t have high level (or even medium level) experience with every profession, but I’m pretty sure necro is unfavored in every single 1v1 in the game. Even their old hard counter of engis will kill them now.

The idea that necros can survive based purely on health pool has gotten kind of silly when most build are pooping out invulns, dodges, evades, blocks, ludicrous amounts of healing that isn’t a 6 skill, stealth, interrupts, stability, etc. etc. Most of which the necro has 0 or very little of.

Not that reapers got left behind, they’re just… different.

in Ranger

Pvt Frosty.6973

I don’t have high level (or even medium level) experience with every profession, but I’m pretty sure necro is unfavored in every single 1v1 in the game. Even their old hard counter of engis will kill them now.

The idea that necros can survive based purely on health pool has gotten kind of silly when most build are pooping out invulns, dodges, evades, blocks, ludicrous amounts of healing that isn’t a 6 skill, stealth, interrupts, stability, etc. etc. Most of which the necro has 0 or very little of.

Not that reapers got left behind, they’re just… different.

I think a big issue here is the fact that many necros play a build that is unsuitable for 1v1s. Shout necro for example can play can 1v1 very well, vs druids and engis alike. It’s even the best class to Tank out a thief gank in such a case. Druids should still win the matchup, but many don’t.

The main shutdown to a necro is the danger of the chrono moa.

YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I think a big issue here is the fact that many necros play a build that is unsuitable for 1v1s. Shout necro for example can play can 1v1 very well, vs druids and engis alike. It’s even the best class to Tank out a thief gank in such a case. Druids should still win the matchup, but many don’t.

The main shutdown to a necro is the danger of the chrono moa.

Agreed in concept and thank you for validating my hideous excuse for playing a shout necro in ranked where I went something like 0 for 20.

in Ranger

RedCobra.7693

What makes you say that?

I actually find it funny how delusional some people are on the forums.
The current condi necro meta beats druid support on point 1v1 (not in an arena like most plebs here think 1v1 means).

Druid relies heavily on their ability to stack might during a 1v1 to win it. ofc i easily beat most necros because they dont understand what they need to be doing to win and telegraph their skills to make them so much easier to dodge. but some better necros that ive come across this season posi/farrorz/prototype i cant beat 1v1. the only thing worth taking from it is understanding that the necro is in a losing scenario for his team to be 1v1ing on homepoint.

in Ranger

Pvt Frosty.6973

What makes you say that?

I actually find it funny how delusional some people are on the forums.
The current condi necro meta beats druid support on point 1v1 (not in an arena like most plebs here think 1v1 means).

Druid relies heavily on their ability to stack might during a 1v1 to win it. ofc i easily beat most necros because they dont understand what they need to be doing to win and telegraph their skills to make them so much easier to dodge. but some better necros that ive come across this season posi/farrorz/prototype i cant beat 1v1. the only thing worth taking from it is understanding that the necro is in a losing scenario for his team to be 1v1ing on homepoint.

You can gladly ask posi proto or imda (farror is an ele main as far as I know), necro should lose to druid. Any of the condi or power builds do. That’s not to say they cannot win, considering our strategy was actually to push imda into druid / engi at times ^^ many druids play it wrong. but I can tell you with certainty, necro should be losing that matchup (especially after the sigil patch)

YouTube / Twitch

(edited by Pvt Frosty.6973)

in Ranger

RedCobra.7693

I should take it back then if you think this is a L2P issue, I’m probably rather rusty as this season is fresh I lost motivation once ESL was shutdown, a lot of effort and time trying to support an active community in pvp killed off. Purely 1v1 on node i cant contest at all against a necro (might stacking being the issue) i find myself constantly looking back at videos and scratching my head at what i could do better. not that im being that guy and asking you to prove anyhting but if you have any vids of current season 1v1’s between druid and necro i could watch id be a happy fello.

in Ranger

Pvt Frosty.6973

I was thinking about something along those lines anyway. Can’t really tell you what is going wrong n your fights considering I haven’t seen any myself. Might try record some 1v1s /work through my footage.

We can also go through your vods at some point and I’ll try point out a few things, considering my recordings will be on Dagger. (could also be that Warhorn just doesn’t beat necros)

YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

RedCobra.7693

I was thinking about something along those lines anyway. Can’t really tell you what is going wrong n your fights considering I haven’t seen any myself. Might try record some 1v1s /work through my footage.

We can also go through your vods at some point and I’ll try point out a few things, considering my recordings will be on Dagger. (could also be that Warhorn just doesn’t beat necros)

I dont have a channel to share vids at the moment as i just use shadowplay to review footage. but ill look into setting one up. last night in queues i took the necro 1v1 everytime youre right winning seems to be easier if i play for the long haul, sustain is obviously the thing necro loses out on but my fights are 3min+ I won the last 6 matches ive had which is good warhorn still not being accounted for in 1v1’s by my enemy no one seems to play around it which in high plat seems very sad considering you just need to dodge.

First soloq legend druid inbound?