Ranger Longbow - Just Terrible

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

sword/x or GS (25-30% less dps then sword) both are better. More support, more dps. Even if vul is < 15 stacks, sword/x will (or GS Maul=Vul) do more party dps then LB.

This are just flat numbers. If u think about losing melee dps becauce mobs walk out of symbold/well/100B and so on.
And no/less buff sharing.
LB is even worse.
Don´t forget that bosses have 50% less Vul uptime.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unshakable

If i say LB is bad in PvE, LB is bad in PvE. Forgive my bad english.

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

What needs to happen is this:

Skill #2 on longbow becomes a copy of volley from the warrior rifle, except we still inflict vulnerability.

Quickdraw is merged with piercing arrows and stays in the marksmanship line.

And lastly, in replacement of QuickDraw is a new trait called Ranger’s Sprint. This trait increase your movement speed by 25% when wielding a ranged weapon. Ranged off-hands don’t count.

Power builds viable.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Druss.6917

Druss.6917

I’ve always wanted something for the auto attack like a “charged shot”. In other words as a regular auto, it can work the way it does now, no change at all, keep the mediocre dps. But you could hold down the button and “charge” it to get more range and significantly more dps. Also, rooting on barrage needs to go. They can already just walk out of it. I’m not saying we should be able to adjust the target area while we move and fire, just that we can strafe around while we fire barrage at the area we targeted. As for rapid fire, yeah it has a hard time hitting players, but I think a simple projectile speed increase would go a long way to making it better. Add 50% speed increase to the flight time during the channel or something like that.

“Come to me and die you stinking whoresons. For I am Druss, and This is Death!”

in Ranger

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

What needs to happen is this:

Skill #2 on longbow becomes a copy of volley from the warrior rifle, except we still inflict vulnerability.

Quickdraw is merged with piercing arrows and stays in the marksmanship line.

And lastly, in replacement of QuickDraw is a new trait called Ranger’s Sprint. This trait increase your movement speed by 25% when wielding a ranged weapon. Ranged off-hands don’t count.

Power builds viable.

We can but dream…

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in Ranger

Posted by: thomasgjkgwdn.4760

thomasgjkgwdn.4760

sword/x or GS (25-30% less dps then sword) both are better

yeah that’s what i thought.

but melee is fickle as a ranger, esp. with the sword “sticking” to the target.

you prob. won’t be able to stand around chucking numbers at the enemy 24-7, which is exactly why ranged damage becomes relevant.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotchaz.7865

Gotchaz.7865

Why has this issue still not been addressed? Should the longbow not be considered the ranger’s archetypal weapon of choice,

Because we are Rangers not ARCHERS!

Beowulf-Defender of the JQ Realm and Warrior of the SF clan.

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Why has this issue still not been addressed? Should the longbow not be considered the ranger’s archetypal weapon of choice,

really?? we are the only class that can use LB and SB, and you say we are not archers….. nice joke.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Sorry but you’re wrong. Quoting the official GW2 wiki, Rangers are “Unparalleled Archers”; they are [supposed to be] the most proficient with bows. Rangers are not exclusively archers, however in almost all lore bows are their primary weapon choice; their archetype. Unfortunately the LB gameplay for Rangers does not match up to the GW2 lore.

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

Arragorn/Legolas were a rangers too. Warriors have a rifle and a bow they should be “masters of all weapons” which is including range weapons too.

No ranged weapon is doing melee dps in this game (not even Elementalists staff).
Rangers in GW2 are the guardians of forest and nature, they use pets and nature magic aswell. The are not a classic “bow only” pew pew class like archers/hunters in most other games.

If u want to play usefull range dps u should play another game. Sad (and i don´t like it at all) but true.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Arragorn/Legolas were a rangers too. Warriors have a rifle and a bow they should be “masters of all weapons” which is including range weapons too.

No ranged weapon is doing melee dps in this game (not even Elementalists staff).
Rangers in GW2 are the guardians of forest and nature, they use pets and nature magic aswell. The are not a classic “bow only” pew pew class like archers/hunters in most other games.

If u want to play usefull range dps u should play another game. Sad (and i don´t like it at all) but true.

we have 2 bows, SB WAS very good, but Anet nerf it to the ground, LB is bad ,really bad, a bit better now but SB have more dps yet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

To every ranger on this post: You are bad.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

hi thief.

in Ranger

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

hi thief.

Interesting deduction, which of his posts gave him away.

A mild case of perception bias perhaps?

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

hi thief.

you are another thief :P.

in Ranger

frans.8092

hi thief.

Good vigor uptime … not lacking in evasion … :p

in Ranger

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Rangers ought to reverse the normal paradigm, and do more damage with ranged weapons and less with melee weapons. Otherwise, bows will never be the best choice for a ranger.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

hi thief.

Good vigor uptime … not lacking in evasion … :p

you are a thief/ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Ranger is my second favorite profession i played the most after Guardian. While Guard was all about going melee, ranger is totally opposite xD

I enjoy how i disengage from a fight with LB3 + GS3. A thief can only kiss my dust. xD

I enjoy playing a ranger with LB/GS with zerk gears -D I super love the additional 300 range. That’s OP. Depend on how well you hide yourself from plain sight.

In pvp, most ele/necro die by my bow not knowing what hits them lol. Try combo Double Signet of Hunt, and BAM! 6k-8k HP gone in 3 secs, very effective in ganking. I dont think any class can pull that off from 1500 range =).

Therefore, LB doesnt sucks. It needs players to think on how to utilized it in different situation. If you are one of the ranger that still using LB when opponent is close to you, yeah, you are gonna be so dead =D.

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

I think the LB skills are all pretty solid. It’s an extremely powerful “burn down” weapon, where, if you don’t close the distance with the ranger quickly, he’ll kill you very fast. I’d have to say that it probably provides DPS at least on the level of the warrior rifle, which you compared it to.

My main problem with the kit isn’t the damage. It’s that in PvP, it leaves you incredibly vulnerable. The knockback is really your only defense for people who want to get in melee range. Anet saw this and wanted to give us another disengage tool in the stealth, which is cool, but it’s extremely hard to utilize. The reason why thief stealth is so powerful is because they are very mobile, and once they go in stealth you have no clue where they are. When a ranger stealths, he’s usually still going to be in the same general area, unless he swaps to greatsword and dashes away. (Why would you do this unless you were running away? You just swapped to a melee weapon and ran out of melee range…)

Anyway, I’d like some kind of parallel between LB/x and SB/traps. Shortbow performs a similar function with condition damage, but has the advantage where, if a melee tries to close the gap on you, you’re standing on a bunch of traps. I’ve tried LB/traps in order to mitigate the close-range weakness of the set, but mixed damage leaves both traps and LB doing subpar damage, to the point where you might as well be playing the traditional shortbow/trap set.

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

I think the LB skills are all pretty solid. It’s an extremely powerful “burn down” weapon, where, if you don’t close the distance with the ranger quickly, he’ll kill you very fast.

How about you use LB ranger, I use what ever class, I stay in 1500 range from you and let you shoot me. Feel free to go full zerk, I won’t even bother to get close to you, I just run/dodge/heal etc, see how long you can take me down? Wanna try this ??

in Ranger

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

Anyway, I’d like some kind of parallel between LB/x and SB/traps. Shortbow performs a similar function with condition damage, but has the advantage where, if a melee tries to close the gap on you, you’re standing on a bunch of traps. I’ve tried LB/traps in order to mitigate the close-range weakness of the set, but mixed damage leaves both traps and LB doing subpar damage, to the point where you might as well be playing the traditional shortbow/trap set.

A little off topic here, but I would kill for a power longbow trapper to be viable. I’ve been saying Viper’s Nest and Frost Trap should pulse considerable direct damage for a while now.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Akisame.9508

Akisame.9508

I think the LB skills are all pretty solid. It’s an extremely powerful “burn down” weapon, where, if you don’t close the distance with the ranger quickly, he’ll kill you very fast.

How about you use LB ranger, I use what ever class, I stay in 1500 range from you and let you shoot me. Feel free to go full zerk, I won’t even bother to get close to you, I just run/dodge/heal etc, see how long you can take me down? Wanna try this ??

I got 20 gold saying after 2 minutes at max range, he won’t be able to take you down to half health with a longbow

in Ranger

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

I got 20 gold saying after 2 minutes at max range, he won’t be able to take you down to half health with a longbow

If CRrabbit is a LB warrior or ‘nade engi, I think the fight will be over after a minute. I’ll pay Aegael’s repair cost if it takes longer. If it’s purely a case of “C’mon and hit me” then if CRrabbit also fields a LB ‘power’ ranger, puts the pet on leash and goes AFK we might have a winner.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

in Ranger

Akisame.9508

hehe, we’re talking about LB ranger, not warrior or engineer. At max range, all he has to do is hit A and D, moving back and forth over and over again, the ranger at max range will not land a hit. If he does land it hit he’ll most likely be healed up in full before the next hit lands. I do not believe any other class has this problem. Rifle projectile moves faster so you can’t side step it like that, same for engineer. Thief bow is a heat seeking missile that follows you no matter where you run. And we’re talking LB max range damage only, no pet I’m gonna be 20 gold richer

in Ranger

CRrabbit.1284

You forget the lovely guardian tennis racquet .
:-)

I do not believe any other class has this problem.

in Ranger

Akisame.9508

Sorry, Guardian and Ele are the only two classes I haven’t played. So wasn’t aware of that problem that Guardians have.

in Ranger

CRrabbit.1284

Actually necro staff 1 barely hits anything too, but necros just seldom use it since 2,3,4,5 is where damage comes from and it’s even unblock-able when traited. But for ranger’s LB, LB1 is where damage comes from and it misses a lot. That’s why LB is JUST Terrible.

Sorry, Guardian and Ele are the only two classes I haven’t played. So wasn’t aware of that problem that Guardians have.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Actually necro staff 1 barely hits anything too, but necros just seldom use it since 2,3,4,5 is where damage comes from and it’s even unblock-able when traited. But for ranger’s LB, LB1 is where damage comes from and it misses a lot. That’s why LB is JUST Terrible.

The necro staff 1 skill also pierces. Why does the longbow have to be traited to do this?

in Ranger

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

I like the idea of letting the #5 skill be usable on the move.

For those of us who played LoTRO, longbow is in desperate need of a Penetrating/Merciful shot skill imo.

Pen shot – single high damage attack
Merciful shot – single very high damage shot when target below 50% ala Thief’s heartseeker, obviously remove the below 50% requirement and just make it do more damage then

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

in Ranger

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

LB 1 is definitely a garbage skill, I rarely stay in the set after my rapid fire has been used up.

Rapid fire is the real draw of the weapon, honestly. Nothing better than tracking a thief for days after he stealths.

in Ranger

Norjena.5172

But thats the only use for it (or stacking vulnerability). Rapid fire dps is < LB 1 at 900 range….

LB 1 should be chargeable shot.
Hold the button to charge the shot up(probably a bit reduced movement speed while charging). Fullcharge good dps (10-20% more then now) at 0-1500 range…

LB 2 needs a buff/rework, shorter channeltime but same dmg, or a big dmg buff (probably to strong).

3 is nice, 4 is ok too
5 should do more dmg/waves and if u are far away and useable while moving and/or cd reduction.

in Ranger

frans.8092

Rapid Fire stacks 10 stacks of vulnerability, increasing the damage you and other will do on that target by 10%. That is considerable. It takes too long though. #5 shouldn’t require you to stand still, I don’t see why that is needed.