Ranger Overhaul Suggestions

in Ranger

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Before anything else I would like to say, this is a LONG post. Ranger has been my passion since GW1 launch and it honestly pains me to play it in this game. I’m aware the actual reality of a developer caring about, much less reading this, is slim to none. That’s why it took me so long to find the motivation to finish it.

I started this several days ago and finally committed myself to finishing it. I originally intended to make this a short post with quick fixes (or band-aids as I call them) that would be easy to implement for developers and would aid in patching up my favorite profession. What I ended up realizing was that although a few skills can be buffed or nerfed the profession as a whole has so many holes that someone really can’t fix anything without some bigger changes. Well it of course started to get carried away because “Hey, if I’m going to fix this issue I should fix the other issue instead of band-aiding it.” and so my entire original purpose went out the window and this nightmare took shape. If any developer or other employer actually reads this please just let me know. I’m fully aware this post is massive but I believe it helps shape the Ranger profession into something amazing, which it is well over due for.
This was actually a lot of effort with brainstorming and mathz so please give it a read everyone and tell me what you think.
Thank you.
-Sco
PS. Please keep in mind the bigger picture. These are not all random stand-alone changes. If you have a suggestion let me know and I’ll throw it in here if I feel it fits better/as well. Thanks!

• Rune of the Trapper: Bonus (6) remove stealth for all professions other than Thief. Replace with Resistance(2s).
    (Stealth on traps was not an effect that encouraged active play or counterplay for any profession except Thief. Changing it to Resistance helps mitigate the condition problems commonly faced by non-thief trappers without outright removing them. I understand this will probably not be a favorable change but I hope the changes as a whole compensate for it.)

• ”Strength of the pack!:" Unchanged
    (This skill is currently an extremely powerful offensive powerhouse and no change is necessary.)
  • ”Guard!”: You and your pet block the next incoming attack for 2s. If an attack is blocked in this way gain Protection(4s). If only one(or neither) of you blocks an attack this skill recharges 5s faster. 20s Recharge.
    (Emergency defense skill for pet and Ranger.)
  • ”Protect Me!”: Pet has 50% damage reduction for the duration of the skill. Reduced recharge to 50s.
    (This skill not only stops all pet based DPS but often sacrificed the pet as well which is just…wrong. Now it can be used to either keep the pet alive in an emergency at the cost of DPS or keep you alive.)
  • ”Search and Rescue!”: Your pet gains (3)Stability(10s) and Stealth(10s). Revive speed reduction removed. Stealth ends early if skill is cancelled. Recharge reduced to 80s.
    (This skill had a great idea but over-nerfed the actual effect. This skill is now taking the pet stealth from Guard and applying to a situation it actually needs it.)
  • ”Sic ‘Em!”: Your pet Reveals(5s) nearby foes. Your pet causes Immobilization(2s) with its next attack. If it hits a foe from behind it causes knockdown(2s) instead. Radius 1,200.
    (The damage of this was either too powerful or wasted. Removing the potential damage and trading it with AoE stealth counter and hard/soft CC is better at achieving the goal for this skill.)

• Signet of Renewal:
    Passive: Affects pet as well.
    Active: Cleanses 3 conditions from you and your pet and 1 from allies near you. Gain (10)Endurance for each condition removed from you. Remove Stun Break Effect. Lower CD to 45 seconds. Added 1/2s cast time.
    (By removing the large potential of this skill for a more reliable and beneficial effect it can be better used by the player to support himself and his pet while also providing a small amount of group support.)
  • Signet of Stone:
    Passive: Unchanged.
    Active: Add Stun Break and (5)Stability(8s). Recharge 90s.
    (This skill did too little to justify the long CD. Added Stability and the Stun Break from SoR to better focus the defensive signets and give more purpose to the skill.
  • Signet of the Hunt:
    Active: Your next 3 attacks deal 25% more damage. Your pet’s next attack causes cripple(5s). Duration-10s. Added 3/4s cast time.
    (This skill’s active really only benefited a single Ranger skill to any meaningful degree. By spreading out the damage and removing the pet’s damage portion of the skill we can increase the overall utility of the skill as well as the player-based damage by allowing the damage buff to stack with other Attack of Opportunity sources.)
  • Signet of the Wild:
    Active: Add reduced endurance regeneration by 50% for duration.
    (This skill is very strong and versatile. Reducing endurance regeneration helps balance the skill.)

• Entangle: Grants (1)Stability(1s) on cast. Add Blast Finisher.
    (Entangle is a great skill that didn’t need much. Blast Finisher is to add a small amount of utility to the skill.)
  • Lightning Reflexes: Unchanged
  • Muddy Terrain: Unchanged
  • Quickening Zephyr: Unchanged
  • Sharpening Stone: Add (1)Torment(7s) per strike. Recharge 30s.
    (This skill provided very little damage and zero utility. Adding torment increases damage potential but is balanced by the common application of immobilize in condition Ranger builds which limits movement forcing well timed play. Recharge reduced to 30s as it still provides zero defensive utility while untraited.)

• Flame Trap: Add (1)Torment(2.5s) per pulse.
    (Flame Trap actually provides very little damage and zero utility so adding damage helps make the skill more punishing.)
  • Frost Trap: Add Stun Break. Recharge 45 seconds.
    (Adding a stun break to Frost Trap gives the skill much needed utility for Trappers. Increasing the recharge to compensate.)
  • Spike Trap: Unchanged.
  • Viper’s Nest: Add Cripple(2s) per pulse.
    (Adding cripple gives another trap a snare effect reducing the dependence on Frost Trap for movement control.)

Ranger spirits have long been what I can only describe as a nightmare. I know I’m not the only one that feels this way and what follows is my personal recommendation for the skills based on current themes and past experiences. I think this is a chance for these poor set of skills to be reborn anew. I fully understand these changes alone represent a massive overhaul but please, please consider it. I invested a lot of time and mathz to come up with these iterations. Every time spirits get “reworked” it’s been a complete let down because the base design is just a flawed system and needs to be let go I’m sorry to say. These changes address this issue and bring the Ranger closer to the Druid thematically as well which is something sorely lacking from the current iterations.

General Changes

• 900 Range or Point blank summon distance (will specify)
  • Visually Orbit a small area or the caster (like a colored wisp)
  • Applies effects at set 3s intervals and immediately upon activation.
  • immune to damage
  • 360unit radius passive & 240unit radius active.
  • 15s duration. Recharge does NOT start until spirit is destroyed.
  • Range is based on spirits current location, not caster’s. (Would be nice if tiny red bar on the skill reflected this.)

Skill Changes

• Sun Spirit: Summon a Sun Wisp at target location. Foes near the wisp (1)Burn(1s) and allies near it cause (2)Burning(2s) with their next attack. Recharge 45 seconds.
    Active: Sun Wisp flies to your current foe and sacrifices itself in a blinding flash that leaves foes Blind(5s) and (5)Burns(5s) foes for a short duration. Range 900.
    (The idea behind this skill is to give the ranger a way to apply heavy condition damage in an area while being able to sacrifice the area control when needed.)
  • Frost Spirit: Summon a Frost Wisp at Target location. Foes near the wisp become (3)Vulnerable(9s) and allies near the wisp gain (3)Might(9s). Recharge 45 seconds.
    Active: Frost Wisp flies to current target and explodes in a cold snap Chilling(5s) and damaging nearby foes. Range 900.
    (This works similar to Sun Spirit but works for a more power orientated builds but takes some time to reach full potential.)
  • Storm Spirit: Summon a Storm Wisp around yourself that grants Swiftness(2s) to allies near it and damages foes near itself. Recharge 30s.
    Active: Storm Wisp flies to current target and burst into electricity damaging and Dazing(2s) foes in a small radius. Range 900.
    (Storm Spirit now acts as a damaging area around the Ranger that can be sacrificed as a ranged interrupt attack.)
  • Stone Spirit: Summon a Stone Wisp around yourself that grants Protection(2s) to allies near it and Cripples(2s) foes instead. Recharge 50 seconds.
    Active: Stone Spirit flies under the ground beneath your feet and after a short delay the ground erupts upward Breaking Stuns and granting Vigor(5s) to nearby allies.
    (Gives the Ranger an option for a party supportive defensive skill that can be sacrificed at an opportune time to break stuns.)
  • Water Spirit: Summon a Water Wisp around yourself that grants healing(1000) for you and nearby allies. Pet receives same amount of healing as user. Recharge 25s.
    Active: Water wisp splashes to the ground healing you(2500) and nearby allies(1500) leaving behind a water field(4s).
    (This heal focuses on being a mobile but slightly weaker version of Healing Spring in terms that it doesn’t remove conditions for you or allies and whose water field is a much shorter duration making it much harder to capitalize upon.)
  • Spirit of Nature: Summon a Spirit of Nature Wisp around yourself that pulses (3)Stability(3s) and removes 2 conditions from yourself and nearby allies.
    Active: Send the Spirit of Nature Wisp out to target location before it sucks itself and up to 3 downed allies into the earth teleporting them to your location and instantly revives near downed allies before exploding in one last large heal(2500). Radius 360. Recharge 150s.
    (By removing the insanely large potential healing from this skill we can make it a much stronger temporary supportive skill that can be sacrificed to resurrect downed allies and burst heal in an emergency. This skill s balanced by the long recharge.)

• Barrage: Destroy Projectiles within range. Recharge 45 seconds.
    (Allowing Barrage to not only target enemies but also their projectiles gives the skill a huge boost in effectiveness even if enemies move out of the damage portion of the skill while not over-emphasizing the offensive focus of the skill. The increased recharge helps balance the new effect.)
  • Crossfire: Bleed is now applied regardless of direction. Bleed duration reduced to 2s.
    (Reduces Bleed duration for reliability.)
  • Poison Volley: Renamed “Poison Arrow”. Applies (5)Poison(4s) to target.
    (This skill’s weakness was needing to be in melee range to get full effectiveness. By removing the potential AoE effect we can focus greater on a single target and in doing so remove the weakness of the skill.)
  • Crippling Shot: Cripple duration doubled if hits a moving foe.
    (Increases effectiveness by rewarding skilled play.)
  • Concussion Shot: Add Unblockable skillfact.
    (Allowing this skill to be unblockable greatly rewards skilled play as it can cancel a foe’s defensive action if timed appropriately.)
  • Ricochet: Replaced with Melee Skill chain. See Below.
  1. Chop: Cut your foe with your Axe inflicting (1)Vulnerability(5s).
  2. Swift Chop: Chop at your foe again inflicting (2)Vulnerability(5s).
  3. Furious Chop: Chop at your foe and gain (1)Might(9s) for every foe struck.
    (Making Axe a cleaving melee weapon opens up new playstyles for Ranger that are currently unviable do to the lack of a controllable one-handed cleaving weapon while also helping give the Shortbow a more unique identity.)
  • Winter’s Bite: Leap at your foe inflicting Chill(3s) on foes you strike. Your pet’s next attack inflicts Weakness(10s). Range 600. Recharge 12s.
    (Now a Leap skill to aid in the new melee aspect of the weapon.)
  • Hunter’s Call: Add Blind(2s) when cast and every 8 hits thereafter.
    (Adding Blind to this skill increases its utility)
  • Bonfire: Increase cast time to 1.25s.
    (Bonfire is an incredibly powerful skill. Increasing the casting time allows for better counterplay.)

• Predator’s Onslaught: You and your pet deal 10% increased damage to movement-impaired foes and 10% more damage to foes disabled as well. Axe Skills recharge faster.
    (This trait was never taken as it had to complete with two very powerful and effective traits. By merging it with Honed Axes and repurposing the damage boosts it brings a new and very effective playstyle to Marksmanship for those wanting a cleave based brawler.)
  • Light on your feet: While Wielding a Shortbow you gain (15)Endurance back after dodging. Shortbow skills recharge faster and your arrows pierce.
    (Increasing Damage on Shotbow was pointless as the base damage is well below average. Condition duration was also removed and instead replaced with endurance gain to provide the weapon a much needed sustain bonus.)
  • Empathetic Bond: Reduces the remaining duration of any condition transferred this way by 50%. Moved to Beastmastery Grandmaster.
    (This move opens up much needed build diversity by re-distributing the condition removal traits in Wilderness Survival and reducing the condition duration on the conditions as to not be so mean to the pet.)
  • Honed Axes: Removed. Replaced by Natural Resilience.
    (Merged with Predator’s Onslaught as Ferocity is un-needed on Axe and Winter’s Bite now cleaves this trait became pointless.)
  • Shared Anguish: Cast “Guard!” when your pet is disabled. Recharge 20s. When you are disabled your pet takes the blow and suffers Weakness(5s) instead. Recharge 50s.
    (Shared Anguish was a mean skill that scarified your pet’s well-being. Now it acts as a dual sided skill that has both you and your pet protecting each other in different ways.)
  • Natural Resilience: Take 25% less condition damage for a time (3s) after dodging. Gain (5)Endurance for each condition on you when you dodge. Wilderness Survival Grandmaster.
    (This trait is focused around surviving conditions instead of removing them as Ranger has limited on-demand condition removal. It also completes the trait line’s focus on defense via dodging while providing a defensive alternative to Wilderness Knowledge, for those not using Survival skills.)
  • Trapper’s Expertise: Traps recharge 20% faster. Lay down a Frost Trap when disabled (negating the disable).
    (Buffing the traps themselves removes the need for this trait for them to be useful. Adding a defensive aspect to the trait instead gives trappers needed sustain.)
  • Nature’s Vengeance: Spirit skills recharge 20% faster. Sacrificed Spirits recharge an additional 10% faster and remove a boon from struck foes. Water Spirit and Spirit of Nature restore a small amount of (10)Endurance instead.
    (Spirit Skills can be sacrificed at any point, sometimes immediately so adding additional recharge rate for doing so helps reduce the downside while Boon removal revisits old school ranger Boon hate. Not to be left out the two supportive spirits grant some endurance back to allies.)
Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

(edited by Castaliea.3156)

in Ranger

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

Didn’t read all of your changes because there was just too much to go through in one sitting but I thought your changes up to spirits were good. I wasn’t quite sure how Spirits worked though based on your description. (Could very well be just me as I was kind of tired while reading.)

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

Guard is a skill that can be used offensive or defensive. Defense because it can stealth your pet giving it protection and allow the mob that was targeting it to change targets.

Stealthing your pet can allow it to get is f2 skill off unseen. People complain pets die to easy yet they don’t use the skill that will help their pets stay alive as well as get a key attack in.

Spirit changes are to strong if you make them unkillable and orbit the caster. (maybe I misunderstood what you meant.)

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

Guard is a skill that can be used offensive or defensive. Defense because it can stealth your pet giving it protection and allow the mob that was targeting it to change targets.

Stealthing your pet can allow it to get is f2 skill off unseen. People complain pets die to easy yet they don’t use the skill that will help their pets stay alive as well as get a key attack in.

Spirit changes are to strong if you make them unkillable and orbit the caster. (maybe I misunderstood what you meant.)

I don’t think you should need to take the current form of the skill “Guard!” to get a F2 or simply to give a pet perma protection because its too fragile.

Spirits last for (at max) 15s. That’s 1/3 uptime with the trait while sacrificed. Maybe less. (Much less for elite). I don’t think they’re at all too strong. Some Orbit the caster(like a druid wisp). Some you summon to a target area and they hover around there.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

Didn’t read all of your changes because there was just too much to go through in one sitting but I thought your changes up to spirits were good. I wasn’t quite sure how Spirits worked though based on your description. (Could very well be just me as I was kind of tired while reading.)

I’ll try to clear it up tomorrow after work. There is a lot to take in thanks a lot.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

It’s a good point about Guard…if only it were changed not to force the pet to actually guard an area. Basically, changing it to an on-demand pet stealth / protection could be really useful. It would allow many different disorient tactics with the pet, as it would be really easy to make people lose track of it.

Right now can sort of do the same thing, but with extra button press in there to get it to stop guarding. Useful yes, but cumbersome in the heat of battle.

This is all from a WvW perspective…I imagine this shout is super useless in PvE, and would remain that way even with this change.

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

This is all from a WvW perspective…I imagine this shout is super useless in PvE, and would remain that way even with this change.

Yes, it would remain rather useless in PvE except to give a small amount of protection to the pet. However I think in WvW this skill would remain useful as it can turn an opponents key attack into protection for you while still having a fast enough cool down if doesn’t block anything to allow the same constant spam for shout trait spam. This change promotes active and smart play while not changing the out-of-combat utility many people love.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

i really love that vision of spirits. i have been favoring a wispy implementation for a long time but ive never seen it so well thought out.

I dont agree with all the specifics (15s uptime for objects that inflict damage/conditions/etc?), and having pet heal on the water wisp is just gratuitously gamey. but id really love that type of spirit setup over what we’ve got now.

I don’t like ANY of the trap changes though. again, adding a stun break is gratuitously gamey, and i’d rather have cripple on all the traps like currently. FWIW i use fire trap for blasting might all the time, it also helps with Mordrem Husks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

I just posted this in shout thread

make Protect Me, Guard, and Search and Rescue Base. No longer Shouts. F6 / F7 / F8

Overhaul 3 new Shouts that do more in team play, keep the others with tweaks to fill the gap

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

make Protect Me, Guard, and Search and Rescue Base. No longer Shouts. F6 / F7 / F8

Overhaul 3 new Shouts that do more in team play, keep the others with tweaks to fill the gap

I think “Protect Me” is a little strong to be a Fx skill as is Search and Rescue but I think the old “guard area” function of “Guard!” Is something that could be worked into a Fx skill.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: Lome.8239

Lome.8239

Ranger probably needs some shouts reworked, but suggesting a class overhaul and a lot of these changes isn’t really plausible. Signet of Stone for example would be OP given any buff, as it is already used in pretty much every competitive spvp build. On Search and Rescue yeah, the revive speed should be similar to that of Ranger’s own downed state, but it makes no sense to add anything else to it. Those spirit buffs are OP as hell. People complain all day about spirits but they see use every day. They’re good.

Many of the other changes suggested here also don’t play out very well from a game design perspective, but I just wanted to give you an idea.

Do certain skills need some love? Yeah. Do they need overhauls? No.

(edited by Lome.8239)

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

I think “Protect Me” is a little strong to be a Fx skill as is Search and Rescue but I think the old “guard area” function of “Guard!” Is something that could be worked into a Fx skill.

they could be tweaked, CDs could be changed.

Protect me kills the pet, and is on a 60 second CD. Only reason its taken over signet of stone is for the stun break. Its far from an OP skill. Take away the stun break from it and make it base. strong yes but not OP.

Search and rescue on the other hand is never, ever taken by anyone currently, and is on an 85 second CD, so why not just make it base? Scrapper can rez OR stomp with their free new Function gyro, on a 30 second CD with 750 range.

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

i really love that vision of spirits. i have been favoring a wispy implementation for a long time but ive never seen it so well thought out.

I dont agree with all the specifics (15s uptime for objects that inflict damage/conditions/etc?), and having pet heal on the water wisp is just gratuitously gamey. but id really love that type of spirit setup over what we’ve got now.

I don’t like ANY of the trap changes though. again, adding a stun break is gratuitously gamey, and i’d rather have cripple on all the traps like currently. FWIW i use fire trap for blasting might all the time, it also helps with Mordrem Husks.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

15s on spirits is really not that long. Especially since they only pulse an effect every 3s and can avoided easily in any circumstance that doesn’t require a foe to stand in them. Warrior Banners are immune, can be moved, and provide huge effects when looking at the duration they last comings with their boosts.

My goal with traps is to remove the stealth part of the gameplay. I made Frost trap to counter CC. It triggers off the trait as well. I also gave resistance to help keep conditions at bay for a short period of time, especially movement impacting conditions so super speed can be taken advantage of. I also added in a Grandmaster trait that helps with the same thing as well as a Shortbow grandmaster in the same trait line as traps that helps with dodging even more all adding up to a very hard to kill trapper even without stealth.

In addition to this the axe, now being a hybrid-ish melee weapon can be used to switch with Shortbow giving the playstyle an option for both range and melee in one build.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

Ranger probably needs some shouts reworked, but suggesting a class overhaul and a lot of these changes isn’t really plausible. Signet of Stone for example would be OP given any buff, as it is already used in pretty much every competitive spvp build. On Search and Rescue yeah, the revive speed should be similar to that of Ranger’s own downed state, but it makes no sense to add anything else to it. Those spirit buffs are OP as hell. People complain all day about spirits but they see use every day. They’re good.

Many of the other changes suggested here also don’t play out very well from a game design perspective, but I just wanted to give you an idea.

Do certain skills need some love? Yeah. Do they need overhauls? No.

I completely disagree and if I didn’t I wouldn’t have made this. Is an overhaul going to happen? Beyond Unlikely. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t need one. All of what you said really doesn’t have any supporting arguments other than “it’s already used” well ofc you have to use something and considering half the utility skills are useless ofc you’re going to see the ones that aren’t.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: Tearthy Flame.1463

Tearthy Flame.1463

I find it interesting what you’ve done for the skill, trait, weapons, and other, descriptions: Took me a moment to apply GuildWars skill descriptions to GuildWars2.

Sorry I cannot give a lot of feedback on how your changes improve current skills but I don’t feel a massive difference in game-play. I understand this is not a Elite Spec. Naturally the Ranger seems to have a a lot of holes in the basic functions of it because it makes a better PvP class than PvE. And I believe it lacks in GW2 because its still trying to be the Original Ranger from GW . . . Maybe.

These two games as you can see are very different and GW2 shouldn’t be trying to copy and add to the mechanics of how players handled pets in GW. For those that don’t know GW ranger, if you wanted to use a pet you had to scrafice other skills to make a build around you and your pet, the skill max is 8 slots. GW2 should of brought the Hero UI and Ability’s. That mechanic has decent control over NPC’s and they didn’t run wild doing very annoying things all the time. You can control the behavior more not just by how you wanted them to Guard, Attack, or Avoid Combat but locate them where you needed in the world, up to 3 can stand in their own spot. Pets in a way act like GW Necromancer Minions… The AI is very wild and annoying! They were OP and attacked everything lol.

I think if GW2 Ranger is to work at all there needs to be a lot more control over the stats and maybe skills for your pets, make them a little more special than the normal AI/Ability’s for the original creatures. These animals are your pet! It would be nice to train them too! GW2 could do a lot of fantastic things with Ranger overall if the Pet Mechanics improved. That would then spawn better Pet & Master traits that better benefits the play-style of Co-oping with an AI Pet.

That is the first thing needed to be improved too making Ranger a better Profession overall. Then that is when “Druid” would also improve in other areas.

“I don’t take insults from a tree! Have at you, leafy!”

in Ranger

Posted by: idontnoso.9850

idontnoso.9850

Can you be on the ranger team for Anet? plz!! +1

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

I find it interesting what you’ve done for the skill, trait, weapons, and other, descriptions: Took me a moment to apply GuildWars skill descriptions to GuildWars2.

Sorry I cannot give a lot of feedback on how your changes improve current skills but I don’t feel a massive difference in game-play. I understand this is not a Elite Spec. Naturally the Ranger seems to have a a lot of holes in the basic functions of it because it makes a better PvP class than PvE. And I believe it lacks in GW2 because its still trying to be the Original Ranger from GW . . . Maybe.

These two games as you can see are very different and GW2 shouldn’t be trying to copy and add to the mechanics of how players handled pets in GW. For those that don’t know GW ranger, if you wanted to use a pet you had to scrafice other skills to make a build around you and your pet, the skill max is 8 slots. GW2 should of brought the Hero UI and Ability’s. That mechanic has decent control over NPC’s and they didn’t run wild doing very annoying things all the time. You can control the behavior more not just by how you wanted them to Guard, Attack, or Avoid Combat but locate them where you needed in the world, up to 3 can stand in their own spot. Pets in a way act like GW Necromancer Minions… The AI is very wild and annoying! They were OP and attacked everything lol.

I think if GW2 Ranger is to work at all there needs to be a lot more control over the stats and maybe skills for your pets, make them a little more special than the normal AI/Ability’s for the original creatures. These animals are your pet! It would be nice to train them too! GW2 could do a lot of fantastic things with Ranger overall if the Pet Mechanics improved. That would then spawn better Pet & Master traits that better benefits the play-style of Co-oping with an AI Pet.

That is the first thing needed to be improved too making Ranger a better Profession overall. Then that is when “Druid” would also improve in other areas.

I’m glad you don’t see a massive difference in game-play. I don’t want to change how the profession plays. All I want is that same fluid and solid design i see from other professions. Sadly, as you stated pet AI is usually a problem but ANet have stated there is little, if much, they will do about it. They also don’t want to make the controls too complex and scare people away from it. When I first started I had actually made a section for pet skill changes as well but I stopped with those because I had already way more than I originally intended lol.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

Can you be on the ranger team for Anet? plz!! +1

Lolol I don’t think I’m the person who makes that decision. XD

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: Tearthy Flame.1463

Tearthy Flame.1463

I’m glad you don’t see a massive difference in game-play. I don’t want to change how the profession plays. All I want is that same fluid and solid design i see from other professions. Sadly, as you stated pet AI is usually a problem but ANet have stated there is little, if much, they will do about it. They also don’t want to make the controls too complex and scare people away from it. When I first started I had actually made a section for pet skill changes as well but I stopped with those because I had already way more than I originally intended lol.

Well a change in Game-Play is the only way to fix GW2 Ranger, at this point; too make it work with new Elite Specializations because just like Druid it will leave behind potential ideas for new Mechanics and Play-Style.

I shouldn’t be surprised at people not fully understanding that Elite-One-Line-Specializations take very skilled Developers to make it work. This is completely the wrong direction to progress professions because I see these Dev’s have no idea how to alter the game-play of the base profession with Elite Specs. These Professions weren’t made for this new lay-out of the traits and some didn’t convert to well imo. The flaw gets worse with a useless Elite Specialization line, DH is the best example for destroying the core of what the base profession was supposed to be about. These professions are being forced to change into other hybrids. I personally have no idea what ArenaNet is thinking trying to do a horrible implementation of this idea. I don’t see them having the Dev’s right now to ever make this system appeal to hardcore player(s), because they are trying to aim for this with Raids…

Yeah, I am claiming ArenaNet is creating more problems than solutions for the future of professions. What ArenaNet should of done is put Professions on top of Base Professions that fit with the theme of what the Original Professions are. Ranger would still get Nature Oriented Professions and this is where Druid would of worked as a whole.

Can you see that ArenaNet is only causing more design flaws because they don’t know how to properly make these ideas work?

“I don’t take insults from a tree! Have at you, leafy!”

in Ranger

Castaliea.3156

Hey guys I went through and added a few changes I’ve been meaning to make. I have some more but I’ve been so busy I keep putting it off. Honestly I find it amusing how this gets so little attention and yet it addresses almost all (if not all) the posts that keep popping up. Too much text i guess. qq

Anyways, thanks for reading! Again, if you have an alternate suggestion or an extra one let me know. I’ll discuss it and add it.

Guild Leader

in Ranger

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

[quote=5586259;Castaliea.3156:]

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.