Ranger PVE/World Event builds?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kokiron.5879

Kokiron.5879

Most of my play time consists of me doing general PVE stuff and world bosses like Teq, Claw of Jormag, etc. Can anyone suggest me a good build to use for this?

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Anything goes as far as open world PvE goes. You’re better off going with a dungeon or WvWvW build and just using that there. Individual builds, gear and skill are far less important in zerg content. Just try to use gear with Power as the main stat.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kokiron.5879

Kokiron.5879

Yeah i’m gonna buy all zerker exotics I just gotta save up some gold. I’m hearing that bows kinda suck right now so i’m using greatsword/axe+warhorn….is the greatsword ok or should I swap it for sword/warhorn or something?

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Yeah i’m gonna buy all zerker exotics I just gotta save up some gold. I’m hearing that bows kinda suck right now so i’m using greatsword/axe+warhorn….is the greatsword ok or should I swap it for sword/warhorn or something?

It’s really just a matter of preference. Open world is the place to run whatever you want.

I use GS + longbow or axe/x in open world content because I don’t feel the need to min/max and optimize my game play for open world. Axe/ + Longbow are what I bring when I just want to tag stuff for loot.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

For Open World PvE it doesn’t matter what you run. So except for that what is it you like to do? Build from that and just run that in OWPvE. You can carry a PTV armor set for world bosses, but that’s about it. As for bows sucking, it’s that they lack dps, so you wouldn’t use them that much for dungeons, but as noted for OWPvE it doesn’t matter. Greatsword is so-so, it’s the closest substitute for sword, but nowhere near it in terms of dps. Axe main isn’t the greatest, it’s ok for trash since you can get that bounce, but it’ll suffer on bosses, it can be used as offhand in some occasions.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Ranger

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

Yeah open world PvE often consists of “tagging” or just having so many people dropping the nuke on a mob that your DPS really doesn’t matter.

Taking that into consideration i usually run GS and Longbow. The GS has a nice cleave/evade, leap, stun/daze, block/knockdown and a pbaoe which hits fairly well (maul). The Longbow has great range, aoe, knockback, stealth and rapid fire which for range also hits quite well.

I think those two weapons are great for open world but you could also go for dual axe’s which will allow you to tag even better. I just prefer the skills on GS for movement and non rooted defence.

in Ranger

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I also run a guardian, and the ranger GS is simply pathetic in comparison. I have not used the ranger GS for over 1 year.

I only do some open world PvE and certain world bosses on my ranger. I run full berserker with sword/xx (dagger or warhorn) and axe/axe, and use cats.

When doing the Jormag event, I only use the weapons found near the cannons, the charzoka (sp?) missile thing during phase 1 and the flamethrower in phase 2. All ranger weapons are pretty useless in this event.

For events like Maw, or running with a champ train, I use sword/warhorn and stack a lot of might I share with my cats. In Forstgorge, I do min 2k damage with spikes up to 6k on the champ kodan and norn.

I do Shatterer, and any world event where staying at range is important, on my GS shatter mesmer because this is far better at range combat than my ranger.

For any difficult content, I go with my zerker guardian.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Axe/ + Longbow are what I bring when I just want to tag stuff for loot.

Axe/Torch + LB is what I bring. With that trait that extends offhand range and traps with the trait that makes traps bigger and ground targeting.

Also, trait so you can get that 1500 range on the longbow. Great for claw of jormag, golem mkii, and fe.

Drakes for AOE and cleave.

Open world PVE that’s really that all that matters for Ranger. Of course, for dungeons things change.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.