Ranger + Party = Kick?

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

There is more to a dungeon than knowing how to play your class. You also have to know the dungeon itself, and its improbable that a day 1 level 80 knows the dungeon. Imagine what would happen to a longbow + brown bear Ranger in CoF path 1 when he starts asking how the fights go, or when he gets left in the dust as the groups run past the trash?

Um, he asks, and the group tells him, just like for any class?

Start asking how fights go on COF1, and people will vote kick you because they expect you to know the fights already. If they dont, its only because it would take a minute to replace you that they dont want to spend.

I’ve done all the dungeons and I use longbow and brown bear primarily. Longbow because I’m specced Marksman, and Brown Bear because it’s the most durable.

Thats neither the right reason to use those things, nor even remotely optimal. This is part of why groups kick rangers.

Hell, until recently my main still have a few piece of fine gear and more level 70s stuff than 80. I did all my dungeon running in that stuff and never had a problem.

…….and if they knew that, they’d have probably kicked you from many explorable groups. Not being bothered to spend 1g on a full set of lvl80 rares to wear while earning tokens for your exotics basically means you let your groups carry you. People expect each other to pull their weight. A guy in a level 80 explorable wearing lvl 70 blues and greens isnt doing that.

Longbow brown bear rangers are usually bad, and groups in MMO’s have a tendency to not be nice people.

Well, concidering I don’t die in dungeons, or generally ever, and in every instance of a dungeon in which there was a legitimate wipe I was the last person down, occationally even able to finish off the boss solo, I’m going to say your elitist views have nothing to do with the actual reality of how I play my class.

You are right about one thing though, I’m not using longbow because I’m specced marksman, I’m specced marksman because I use longbow. I like longbow and the way it looks so I made it work for me the best I could. As for my bear, it’s actually an excellent reason, especially for the handful of bosses that have glitchy designs and get stuck on my bear then don’t seem to be able to do anything once there. The berserker in the flame and frost dungeon worked that way. He agroed on my bear but couldn’t actually hurt it, and because of that he didn’t attack the rest of the group.

As for my spending gold on gear I was going to replace, there’s no point. The actual difference in the numbers is not significant, and anyone who thinks differently needs to just get over themselves. I was waiting until I’d accumulated enough mats to make the elites myself, and I’ll be kitten ed if I’m going to spend gold on something I can get for free.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

we can agree to disagree about whether or not longbows and brownbears and level 70 blues are okay for dungeons. im not the kind of person who kicks rangers from groups just for that, because …i am a ranger, and I generally dont care about how fast a run goes as long as it is going smoothly. i was merely trying to explain the mentality of players who do kick, and why teams do it so often to rangers.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Kal Spiro.9745

we can agree to disagree about whether or not longbows and brownbears and level 70 blues are okay for dungeons. im not the kind of person who kicks rangers from groups just for that, because …i am a ranger, and I generally dont care about how fast a run goes as long as it is going smoothly. i was merely trying to explain the mentality of players who do kick, and why teams do it so often to rangers.

Ah, well yes. I would have also accepted because people are stupid and imature. At the same time since I only join groups through gw2lfg.com I just avoid all the ones with the extra crap. I will never understand the expectation that someone know how to do a dungeon perfectly without ever having done it before, or that no new people ever be allowed to do one, basically.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Ah, well yes. I would have also accepted because people are stupid and imature. At the same time since I only join groups through gw2lfg.com I just avoid all the ones with the extra crap. I will never understand the expectation that someone know how to do a dungeon perfectly without ever having done it before, or that no new people ever be allowed to do one, basically.

Most people don’t expect someone that’s new to know how to run a dungeon perfectly. We expect new people to speak up and let the rest of the group know.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Kal Spiro.9745

Most people don’t expect someone that’s new to know how to run a dungeon perfectly. We expect new people to speak up and let the rest of the group know.

That’s what I said:

There is more to a dungeon than knowing how to play your class. You also have to know the dungeon itself, and its improbable that a day 1 level 80 knows the dungeon. Imagine what would happen to a longbow + brown bear Ranger in CoF path 1 when he starts asking how the fights go, or when he gets left in the dust as the groups run past the trash?

Um, he asks, and the group tells him, just like for any class?

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Take these claims about Rangers being kicked with a grain of salt.

I would wager that most of these claims are gross exaggerations by very poor Ranger players that were kicked for OTHER reasons than the class they picked. And then there are those that simply out right lie on the forums, believing somehow that Anet will read this and “buff” their class – lol.

It’s fairly common in my experience. I respond to map shouts for dungeons with a whisper stating “80 ranger.” About a quarter to a third of the time I get no response while the person continues map shouting “LF1M [dungeon name].”

Hell, until recently my main still have a few piece of fine gear and more level 70s stuff than 80. I did all my dungeon running in that stuff and never had a problem.

There’s really no excuse for this. By the time you’re 80 you should have close to 200k karma. Just go to any of the temples in Orr and buy exotic level 80 armor/jewelry for 42k karma apiece.

As for my bear, it’s actually an excellent reason, especially for the handful of bosses that have glitchy designs and get stuck on my bear then don’t seem to be able to do anything once there. The berserker in the flame and frost dungeon worked that way. He agroed on my bear but couldn’t actually hurt it, and because of that he didn’t attack the rest of the group.

You’re supposed to submit a bug report when this happens, then switch to a different pet so as not to exploit the bug.

As for my spending gold on gear I was going to replace, there’s no point. The actual difference in the numbers is not significant, and anyone who thinks differently needs to just get over themselves. I was waiting until I’d accumulated enough mats to make the elites myself, and I’ll be kitten ed if I’m going to spend gold on something I can get for free.

See above about karma armor from Orr. If you’ve gotten fine transmute stones from black lion chests or map completions, once you replace the karma armor with your crafted exotics you can transfer the runes to white armor off TP, salvage them, and sell them for several gold apiece. (I haven’t done the math to see if this or the orrian jewelry boxes are a better way to make money from karma.)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Ranger with 2 bear pets running ranged only weapons and non-zerker gear = kick.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Kal Spiro.9745

There’s really no excuse for this. By the time you’re 80 you should have close to 200k karma. Just go to any of the temples in Orr and buy exotic level 80 armor/jewelry for 42k karma apiece.

The excuse is simple. I don’t care and I don’t need to care. Like I said, I’ve done the dungeons and I don’t die and I survive better than my group consistently. In any case it doesn’t matter since I finally got all my mats and am in exotics, only my bow and accessories are rare, everything else is either exotic or ascended.

As for my bear, it’s actually an excellent reason, especially for the handful of bosses that have glitchy designs and get stuck on my bear then don’t seem to be able to do anything once there. The berserker in the flame and frost dungeon worked that way. He agroed on my bear but couldn’t actually hurt it, and because of that he didn’t attack the rest of the group.

You’re supposed to submit a bug report when this happens, then switch to a different pet so as not to exploit the bug.

Sorry, but I’m not getting my party killed because they(ANet) can’t handle how pet and mob agro works out between eachother.

See above about karma armor from Orr. If you’ve gotten fine transmute stones from black lion chests or map completions, once you replace the karma armor with your crafted exotics you can transfer the runes to white armor off TP, salvage them, and sell them for several gold apiece. (I haven’t done the math to see if this or the orrian jewelry boxes are a better way to make money from karma.)

Concidering this requires fine transmutation stones it doesn’t sounds like a reasonable trade off. Besides that I run Cleric, it’s the reason I’m hard to kill, so I don’t want any of the random gear I can find in Orr, just because it’s exotic isn’t a reasonable excuse to pick it up. As far as I’m concerned all that junk is just that, if you happen to use that spec, fine, I don’t. Other than that it’s good for appearance, if that’s the look you’re going for, which I’m not.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

A lot of ranger refuse to or dont know how to keep thier pets alive. Giving fuel to the notion that we do less damage. Some ranger refuse to master the 1h sword or melee in general adding to the fuel that we have less dps

1h sword mastery – 1111111111111111111111 sounds difficult.
Watch the video above…that’s all he does.

Meh, Brazil didn’t do too well in that video. He let his pets die and even started RaO with a dead pet out. I would not say he’s pro at ranger, conan. But he sure isn’t bad and has done some excellent theorycrafting.

You mean starting Rampage as One in the room with the pylons? I used it for Stability and Swiftness to get into the room with the Effigy as quickly as possible without getting a bugged weapon swap or being stuck in combat with GS. We also had plenty of Might stacks the whole fight and permanent Fury so Rampage as One would have been useless to me anyways. I needed the blast finisher from my Warhorn for might stacking and Fury in the Warrior’s fire field. You also might want to note that I swapped to let my Jungle Stalker purposefully die in the pylon room so that I would have Jaguar up for the boss fight, which I swapped to as soon as the fight started. The one thing you could point out that I did wrong was swapping pets too late before letting Fortifying Bond take affect on my Jaguar, that’s a matter of me trying to think about too many things at once. A pro at Ranger? Perhaps I’m not quite there yet, but calling me “not bad” is almost insulting, especially since you weren’t able to see the reasoning for why I did what I did.

And what is this now about “Oh Ranger is spam 1 with autoattack that doesn’t sound hard.” Do people just complain about this with every single class now?

Also, this video here from Chopps is probably a better demonstration of how to play a Ranger: http://youtu.be/75xWbWmN4Xc

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

(edited by TheMaskedParadigm.3629)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Conan.8046

Conan.8046

And what is this now about “Oh Ranger is spam 1 with autoattack that doesn’t sound hard.” Do people just complain about this with every single class now?

Can see your bar in the video all you do is spam 1 (in the final boss fight) and no people don’t complain about that on every class. Ever seen a warrior complain about it? thief? Engineer…highly doubtful.

Skill has nothing to do with it. Did you do good damage? yes, then your goal was achieved. You hit one button and managed it, not your fault ranger is simple in pve.

(edited by Conan.8046)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

well, if spamming 1 does the most damage, what reason would there be to use other skills?

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Can see your bar in the video all you do is spam 1 (in the final boss fight) and no people don’t complain about that on every class. Ever seen a warrior complain about it? thief? Engineer…highly doubtful.

Skill has nothing to do with it. Did you do good damage? yes, then your goal was achieved. You hit one button and managed it, not your fault ranger is simple in pve.

“Warrior is spam 1 with Axes”
“Just press Hundred Blades and you win”

People complain about how simple other classes are all the time. Also, if you think that Sword Ranger is simple in PvE, you’ve clearly not played it. It takes a lot of practicing and getting used to before you can actually go into a dungeon and not die in every single fight. So yes, skill has something to do with it.

Brazil

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

swiftpaw.6397

This may come as a newsflash to you, but playing a warrior or even guardian is easier than glass cannon ranger in pve.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

“Warrior is spam 1 with Axes”
“Just press Hundred Blades and you win”

People complain about how simple other classes are all the time. Also, if you think that Sword Ranger is simple in PvE, you’ve clearly not played it. It takes a lot of practicing and getting used to before you can actually go into a dungeon and not die in every single fight. So yes, skill has something to do with it.

Indeed, compared to Greatsword, it’s not simple at all. It’s highly enjoyable, but the player must get used to its very mobile aspects, plus the occasional root drawback; also, there’s NOTHING wrong with sword 1-the more 1s, the merrier in this rare case.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

I’ve played a Ranger since Beta, and I’ve never been kicked from a dungeon group. I also main a longbow, though I prefer drakes over ursines. :P

I agree that these kinds of situations are probably hyperbole, and are rare in the the first place. As for the part about rangers being the master of all things ‘archer,’ I disagree. Rangers are not archers, though a bow is a large part of their skill set.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Redball.7236

Redball.7236

Just going to say before I start this post that this applies to PvE and only PvE.

The problem isn’t the class and has never been the class, the problem is with players.
There are several people such as Brazil and Chopps that have shown that when played well, ranger can be amazing.

But the fact of the matter is, 99% of rangers you find in pugs are either terrible players, running terrible builds or both. I don’t know what it is but ranger as a class seems to attract the worse types of players. This added to the fact that in order to perform well a ranger has to be much more skilled than say a warrior, means that generally people really don’t want rangers in pugs.

I’m guilty of this myself, I would never kick someone for their class but I cringe whenever a ranger joins the group (unless its one of my friends).

I think to solve this, what we need to do is start getting the majority of ranger players to realize the negative image they’re creating about their class, and push them towards better builds and becoming a better player. So next time you kick a ranger from a pug, tell him why his build is bad and a better one before you do.

Cassius Snowstorm – Engineer
Tycho Snowpaw – Guardian
Gandara – [WvW]

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pendleton.6385

Pendleton.6385

The elitism in pve (and from some in this thread) is laughable.

@op If someone kicks you from a group …. you wouldn’t want to be in that group anyway. Start your own group.

Tarnished Coast
~ Ranger

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: darkchicken.8692

darkchicken.8692

Pets are great just have to know how to use them and actually look at their f2 skills instead of picking a bird or something cause I wanna look like a pirate :P

They are great, i love em, just as i love spirits too.

I only wish they wouldnt die that fast OR they wouldnt take their full life in damage one shot like “damage on pet cant excede 25% of their life in one hit”.

I got all the move of my pets maccroed on my razer and even if i really manage it closely, it still die often and sometime because of unresponsiveness

exemple #1 : My pet is attacking the boss which just put an aoe zone on the ground. My pet switch is down. I ask my pet to come back to get it out of the aoe. The pet go to the left, then come back to the right walking plenty of time in the aoe then make a line for me. I call this pattern the “Z of doom”. I recalled my pet when it was full and died while coming back in the aoe (panther). The pathing back to me sometime doesnt behave well enough and the pet stay too long in the AoE even if i manage him. I am not scare to blow my heal for it or to switch him out to get it back to me faster but these things still happen.

exemple #2 : The one shot. My pet is behind a boss, i active its stealth, Rampage, signet of the wild and Sic’em for a nice huge burst and then suddenly, the boss insta turn on it, one shot it and go back to its last target. This is usually bad luck when this happen but its annoying to lose a pet before i could do anything. There was no wind up to the attack, there was no sign he would turn on my pet and basically i would have to be a seer that can see in the future to prevent that death.

exemple #3 : ability super long cast time. MOST of the pet with a toggle take forever to cast their ability, making them vulnerable to interrupt and a quick death from a sudden aoe. I dont mind in pvp that some potent skills like 5 stack of might or fury could be interrupted (although i never saw a player turn to my pet to stop it from casting). But in pve, things happen so fast sometime thakittens better just to avoid the castable if its not instant. I cant count the number of time i had to remake him cast these 5 stacks of might because he got interrupted or the lightning breath because the boss was too far, making me lose all the DPS it could have brought.

So yeah. For a good ranger, managing our pets is crucial but still a pain in the kitten sometime when the game decide it want your pet dead.

If something like cannot take 25% of its life in one hit in PVE
And/Or 50% aoe reduction damage to make them good in PVE and Zerg WvW

If you lose your pet (in most pet focused built) even if you do all your attack and try to be helpful, you are like an engineer stuck on pistol auto attack ( almost joking). Your pet dps is important.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

darkchicken.8692

second part of the post on a different subject.

I never turn down a ranger in my group but just like any other classes, ive seen some baddies. I think that a bad ranger is way worse then a bad warrior. A warrior with a greatsword will come next to the boss and press 100b and win most of the time, the class is pretty straight forward. Its not uncommon that i see a ranger in my CoF group with a polar bear for exemple that died and the ranger stay close to the boss and do longbow auto attack in melee.

I just think it is easier to underperform as a ranger and it is easier to perform better on some other classes like the warrior which mean that usually in pug you get at least one bad apple per group and when its a ranger.. omg it is bad.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I tried to give my ranger a chance, and even gave her ARAH gear, however….

Playing Ranger feels like bashing my head up against a wall. EVERYTHING I do feels inferior to every other class (speaking from experience of playing everything else…)

1h Sword feels uncomfortable for PvE, and our overall damage is just too little. We don’t have any decent support, and the little support we do have (Spotter+Spirit of Frost)

The pet damage nerf was worst of all. My panther does not deal much more damage than my bear.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

darkchicken.8692

Playing Ranger feels like bashing my head up against a wall. EVERYTHING I do feels inferior to every other class (speaking from experience of playing everything else…)

1h Sword feels uncomfortable for PvE, and our overall damage is just too little. We don’t have any decent support, and the little support we do have (Spotter+Spirit of Frost)

The pet damage nerf was worst of all. My panther does not deal much more damage than my bear.

I understand your feeling but for some people, they like so much the theme of the class and some of their mechanic that it is what they want to play.

Like i am not a fan of the warrior and guardian great sword but i love it to death on the ranger.

I just think the class is super cool even if it is not as good as other in niche spec

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

The problem isn’t the class and has never been the class, the problem is with players.
There are several people such as Brazil and Chopps that have shown that when played well, ranger can be amazing.

No, Chopps hasn’t demonstrated this at all.

Brazil

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

No, Chopps hasn’t demonstrated this at all.

I used to think Chopps was a bit crazy with his fervent defense of the ranger profession. Then I tried one of his builds -Using my weapons of choice rather than his. Well, I like it. It works quite well in PvE. I’ve even had a few groups call me “the best ranger they’ve ever seen.”

Chopps may not be perfect, but he taught me a thing or two.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

The one handed sword is a bit awkward to use, but its shortcomings can be overcome. Though I dislike using the sword, it isn’t because of the awkward auto attack. I dislike the sword because it lacks a reliable gap closer. And I’m aware of the “about face hornet’s sting trick,” I just find it hectic to use in the middle of combat.

The pet damage nerf wasn’t as severe as you think. Cats still deal more DPS than bears. If you want a cat that can still burst, perhaps you should try a lynx instead of a jaguar. With spotter and fury, your lynx will have near 100% crit, and have a bursty F2 skill to compliment that.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Ranger is currently holding world record for fastest cof time of 5:27

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Ranger-VS-The-CoF-World-Record

Trials != COF

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

Just joined a CoF group for a quick run and the general group damage was pretty kitten low.
So I told the party, that traiting for damage would be a nice thing.
The answer was as expected: “a ranger shouldnt talk about damage of other classes”
As I explained them, that ranger is easily capable of dealing a very good amount of damage, even similar to warriors, they jsut started making fun of me and finally kicked me…

Kids these days…

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I’ve never had a moment where I said “I wish I had a Ranger in the party”. At least Thieves have that sometimes. I groan a bit when a Ranger shows up to the party and isn’t planning on swapping to a more useful class.

Although the other day doing high level Fractals I had a Ranger in the party who stacked a bit of vulnerability for the party’s bursts on bosses. Ok, at least the Ranger can stack some vuln when built for it… but I’d still prefer a vuln stacking any other class.

I want to like the Ranger for PvE, but Anet is making it hard to do so. Also yes, Rangers have a disproportionate amount of absolutely terrible players amongst their ranks for some reason, giving the class a bad impression to other people. I think it is just that the Archer archetype attracts these kinds of people for some reason… and they just assume that the Ranger should play like any other archer in other MMO’s (because it has “range” in the name… as infuriating of a justification that is).

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: DargorV.8571

DargorV.8571

A good ranger will be the last man standing (only mesmer could probably beat that) and he’ll rez the rest most of the time.

Blame the Mesmer+4 glass Warriors mentality.

No Trinity my kitten

In this game you either need to run with a guild you like or roll with dumb@sses (be they Pugs or premade from a dumb@ss guild)

(edited by DargorV.8571)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

I used to think Chopps was a bit crazy with his fervent defense of the ranger profession. Then I tried one of his builds -Using my weapons of choice rather than his. Well, I like it. It works quite well in PvE. I’ve even had a few groups call me “the best ranger they’ve ever seen.”

Chopps may not be perfect, but he taught me a thing or two.

Chopps is a bit too extreme in his denial of problems with the class. But overall I think he’s a good counterbalance to the excess negativity here. I don’t like his particular build, but it’s better than most of the ones I’ve seen here. I wish people would try it before they dismiss it.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Xenomortis.5972

Xenomortis.5972

A good ranger will be the last man standing (only mesmer could probably beat that) and he’ll rez the rest most of the time

Why are you optimising for failure?

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

swiftpaw.6397

A good ranger will be the last man standing (only mesmer could probably beat that) and he’ll rez the rest most of the time

That must be what happens most of the time.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

That’s the argument I see most Longbow rangers make. Yes, you are the last one alive ONLY because you are 1500 away shooting arrows. Try doing that on some bosses that target ranged players first, you would be down pretty fast.

I cringe everytime I PUG a party and a ranger shows up with a longbow/bear combo. 90% of the time they are awful. Last Pug party i did was TA, the longbow/bear ranger showed up and I knew my party was cringing at it. And what happened? He couldnt even get past the first running part to the Vine Wurms. Had to wait over 10 minutes for him to run past it, with our thief trying to res/stealth him (dying himself). Then party failed at wurms 3x because he couldnt stay alive for melee to dps. FINALLY he left by himself and we pug another party member, went smooth like butter, even decided to do another path.

These are the types of horror stories that other people hear, then it instills into them that rangers are just bad, so you will be kicked. FYI, I’ve never been kicked or have kicked anyone from my party. There was 1 time when the fifth member to join was a ranger, the other party members kicked him right away, I felt so bad I pm him/her that I’ll run again with him/her after my run.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s the argument I see most Longbow rangers make. Yes, you are the last one alive ONLY because you are 1500 away shooting arrows. Try doing that on some bosses that target ranged players first, you would be down pretty fast.

I cringe everytime I PUG a party and a ranger shows up with a longbow/bear combo. 90% of the time they are awful. Last Pug party i did was TA, the longbow/bear ranger showed up and I knew my party was cringing at it. And what happened? He couldnt even get past the first running part to the Vine Wurms. Had to wait over 10 minutes for him to run past it, with our thief trying to res/stealth him (dying himself). Then party failed at wurms 3x because he couldnt stay alive for melee to dps. FINALLY he left by himself and we pug another party member, went smooth like butter, even decided to do another path.

These are the types of horror stories that other people hear, then it instills into them that rangers are just bad, so you will be kicked. FYI, I’ve never been kicked or have kicked anyone from my party. There was 1 time when the fifth member to join was a ranger, the other party members kicked him right away, I felt so bad I pm him/her that I’ll run again with him/her after my run.

Well I’m never 1500 away cause I don’t have that trait, and I swap with GS for damage. I jump back and forth between range and melee and I’m still last man standing. All of these “horror” stories just tell me one thing. It actually takes skill to play a Ranger and all the other classes are cake walks. Otherwise why would it be so easy to do everything on the other classes while some rangers have to struggle at it?

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Well I’m never 1500 away cause I don’t have that trait, and I swap with GS for damage. I jump back and forth between range and melee and I’m still last man standing. All of these “horror” stories just tell me one thing. It actually takes skill to play a Ranger and all the other classes are cake walks. Otherwise why would it be so easy to do everything on the other classes while some rangers have to struggle at it?

The only aspect of playing Ranger that takes any more skill than any other class is playing with one-handed Sword.

Brazil

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aria.5940

Aria.5940

The worst thing I’ve tried was joining a group and before they even said hi, they asked me if I could switch to another class when I joined on my ranger :/
That said, the groups that won’t run with a ranger at least seem to say so from the start, either by a direct kick the moment they see the ranger symbol or by asking you to change to another class.

Still out of about 100 dungeons, this has only happened 2 times to me (1 with a direct kick about 2 s after joining the group and another where the group asked me to switch to an alt), so at least in my experience it is possible to get a group on ranger if you can just forget about the few bad ’’can’t use a ranger and won’t see them in group’’-ppl

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Are you all from NA? Because i’m from EU and i’d never been kicked from a group with my ranger…

This has come up several times in dungeon forums and yes EU is generally a bit more accomadating for some reason than here in the States. I blame Canada & Brazil

Trials != COF

my palm = my face

(edited by ilr.9675)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I am in EU as well, and have been kicked from groups on my ranger on more than one occasion. Stupidity doesn’t care for race, country, religion, gender or profession. Its pretty tolerant to be honest.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

I blame Canada & Brazil

Hmmmm…. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Brazil

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Was it COF?

Maybe it knows no borders… but it seems to confine itself more to one dungeon than most other maladies

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

I’ve never had a moment where I said “I wish I had a Ranger in the party”. At least Thieves have that sometimes. I groan a bit when a Ranger shows up to the party and isn’t planning on swapping to a more useful class.

actually I had…
mostly on dungeons when I started as a guardian and there was no ranger sometimes there was situations I thought “crap I could have better use there with my ranger than guardian…”
really and seriously I had

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Quarktastic.1027

actually I had…
mostly on dungeons when I started as a guardian and there was no ranger sometimes there was situations I thought “crap I could have better use there with my ranger than guardian…”
really and seriously I had

I actually ran the aetherblade retreat on my guardian after doing it several times on my ranger. I was hands down the worst guardian you have ever seen. It taught me that I can’t handle playing more than one class.

Get good with ranger>get worse with guardian.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Malpractice.7850

Malpractice.7850

1st, why are you using a bear? its a tank pet. Low dmg, little buffs. At least a moa gives Fury and whatnot.

2nd; Why are you not leaving it on passive, or stowing pets between combat? It takes you 1 keystroke to do either. Stowing is always safer.

3rd why are people immature for wanting you not in blues? Its like 2gold to get all rare at 80… I had almost all rare all the way lvling…

Quit feeding to the mentality that rangers are kittened. Break the mold. Be intelligent, play smart. Youll not get kicked then.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

swiftpaw.6397

1st, why are you using a bear? its a tank pet. Low dmg, little buffs. At least a moa gives Fury and whatnot.

2nd; Why are you not leaving it on passive, or stowing pets between combat? It takes you 1 keystroke to do either. Stowing is always safer.

3rd why are people immature for wanting you not in blues? Its like 2gold to get all rare at 80… I had almost all rare all the way lvling…

Quit feeding to the mentality that rangers are kittened. Break the mold. Be intelligent, play smart. Youll not get kicked then.

^ I agree, I would kick a ranger in trash gear too.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Kal Spiro.9745

Unlike most other pets, including Moa, Bear has a chance, if monitored well, of standing against an alpha strike without folding. Therefore, because it is a tanking pet it can continue doing its less damage rather than being dead and doing no damage. I would prefer a consistent source of low damage to none at all.

Why would you put your pet on passive or stow it? What purpose does this serve when the pet doesn’t attract agro?

It’s one thing to have all blues and another to have one or two. Even still, the actual stat difference between the two sets is not significant enough to have any meaningful inpact on ANY of the PvE content in the game.

Quit feeding the elitist mentality that these things are wrong or actually matter. Break the mold. Use reason. I’ve never been kicked from a group.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Unlike most other pets, including Moa, Bear has a chance, if monitored well, of standing against an alpha strike without folding. Therefore, because it is a tanking pet it can continue doing its less damage rather than being dead and doing no damage. I would prefer a consistent source of low damage to none at all.

Why would you put your pet on passive or stow it? What purpose does this serve when the pet doesn’t attract agro?

It’s one thing to have all blues and another to have one or two. Even still, the actual stat difference between the two sets is not significant enough to have any meaningful inpact on ANY of the PvE content in the game.

Quit feeding the elitist mentality that these things are wrong or actually matter. Break the mold. Use reason. I’ve never been kicked from a group.

Alpha AoE doesn’t target pets, actually: http://youtu.be/Lwf-cpHjqQU

Brazil

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

swiftpaw.6397

This thread makes me wish I was an octopus so I could slap 8 people at once.

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This thread makes me wish I was an octopus so I could slap 8 people at once.

They want the T

Brazil

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

If they kick you inside a dungeon, its because of poor performance. I run longbow (or s/d)/gs full zerker with drake/cat(or wolf depending) and have yet to get a complaint. I’ve had people compliment me for something as simple as circling around a boss and timing GS dodges for 30 seconds while the other party member ressed the people who died. Its because people look at rangers and sigh because of what a noobtrap class we are. Easy to level, someone who looks at trailers are going to think we’re cool because we have a pet, people think we’re supposed to be snipers, etc. When you play well everyone is glad to have you, but when you play badly they don’t want you.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Although the other day doing high level Fractals I had a Ranger in the party who stacked a bit of vulnerability for the party’s bursts on bosses. Ok, at least the Ranger can stack some vuln when built for it… but I’d still prefer a vuln stacking any other class.

I want to like the Ranger for PvE, but Anet is making it hard to do so. Also yes, Rangers have a disproportionate amount of absolutely terrible players amongst their ranks for some reason, giving the class a bad impression to other people. I think it is just that the Archer archetype attracts these kinds of people for some reason… and they just assume that the Ranger should play like any other archer in other MMO’s (because it has “range” in the name… as infuriating of a justification that is).

This is your bias and perception of the Ranger Profession on groups speaking. You have either no proof that Ranger attracts “terrible players”, nor can you say that they are “useless” on a group, because besides damage, they have much value to add to a group.

Spirits, diverse combo fields often with low cooldowns, ally boons, etc. That you prefer Guardian (or any other Profession’s) support over Ranger doesn’t mean they aren’t any useful to a group (and yes, I play Guardian too, so I know how good and comparatively easy they are to play well and make them effective, but that doesn’t mean that people MUST prefer ANY other Profession over a Ranger, barring ill-placed elitism and close-mindedness.)

Ranger + Party = Kick?

in Ranger

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

If they kick you inside a dungeon, its because of poor performance. I run longbow (or s/d)/gs full zerker with drake/cat(or wolf depending) and have yet to get a complaint. I’ve had people compliment me for something as simple as circling around a boss and timing GS dodges for 30 seconds while the other party member ressed the people who died. Its because people look at rangers and sigh because of what a noobtrap class we are. Easy to level, someone who looks at trailers are going to think we’re cool because we have a pet, people think we’re supposed to be snipers, etc. When you play well everyone is glad to have you, but when you play badly they don’t want you.

You are really better suited just to stand still only move when you need to dodge. Running in circles around a boss creates unnecessary clutter and is pretty irritating to a lot of people.

Brazil