Ranger Patch Notes: 02/22/17

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

RANGER
The ranger will see a variety of changes during this update. Of particular note, we are reducing Grace of the Land’s damage bonus and reworking it so that it’s compatible with all Celestial Avatar abilities and affects ten allies around the druid. We hope this improves the value of a single druid in large-group scenarios.

Many pet attacks have had usability and movement enhancements in an effort to improve general damage against moving targets. The greatsword has had a couple of improvements for better damage and pet synergy. Finally, a few underused (and even some meta) utility skills have undergone general quality-of-life improvements.

[Weapons]

• Maul: This skill now grants an Attack of Opportunity to the ranger’s pet, causing its next attack to deal 50% more damage.
  • Hilt Bash: This skill should now land more consistently when used at max range. This skill no longer grants a damage bonus to pets, but it will now refresh the greatsword’s Maul skill when striking an enemy.
  • Throw Torch: The physical damage of this skill has been increased by 33%.

[Utilities]

• Sharpening Stone: The number of stacks that this skill applies has been increased from 6 to 10.
  • Muddy Terrain: Immobilize duration applied by this skill has been increased from 2 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Signet of the Wild: Fixed a bug that caused the ranger to be unblockable.
  • Lightning Reflexes: The recharge of this skill has been reduced from 40 seconds to 30 seconds in PvP only.
  • Spike Trap: The recharge of this skill has been reduced from 45 seconds to 30 seconds in PvP only.

[Traits]

• Sharpened Edges: The chance to bleed a target on critical hit has been reduced from 66% to 33%.
  • Soften the Fall: Immobilize duration applied by this trait has been increased from 2 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Grace of the Land: Damage per stack of this trait has been reduced from 3 to 2. The number of targets affected by this trait has been increased from 5 to 10.
  • Natural Convergence: This skill will now provide Grace of the Land on every pulse when that trait is equipped.

[Pets]

Avian Pets:

• Updated on-land nonbasic attacks so that they more consistently hit enemies and can be executed from farther distances.

Canine Pets:

• Updated on-land basic attacks to more reliably hit enemies, with their executable attack range being increased from 130 to 240.
  • Crippling Leap: Increased the attack range of this skill from 130 to 180. Also increased the reliability of this skill by increasing the movement speed and duration. This skill will now be affected by quickness.
  • Brutal Charge: Reduced the warmup casting time by 0.5 seconds. This skill will now be affected by quickness.

Smokescale:

• Updated on-land basic attacks to move slightly toward the target when executing attacks on land. Increased the range at which the creature will attack from 130 to 200.
  • Takedown: Updated this attack to have a slight movement toward the target. Reduced aftercast by 0.25 seconds. Increased the range at which the creature will attack from 130 to 240.

Wyvern Pets:

• Updated on-land basic attacks to move farther toward the target on each swing. Greatly increased the attack speed of this skill from 3.3 seconds to 2.2 seconds. Increased the range at which the creature will attack from 130 to 200.
  • Tail Lash: Updated this attack to move farther toward the target when executing. Reduced the attack of this skill from 3.6 seconds to 1.2 seconds. Increased the range at which the creature will attack from 130 to 200.
  • Wing Buffet: Reduced the initial casting time of this skill by 0.5 seconds. Increased the attack radius from 240 to 360.

Drake Pets:

• Updated on-land basic attacks to move farther toward the target when executing on land.
  • Chomp: Updated this attack to move farther toward the target when executing on land.
  • Tail Swipe: Increased the radius of this attack from 225 to 280. Greatly increased the attack speed of this skill.

Feline Pets:

• Updated on-land basic attacks to move farther toward the target when executing on land.
  • Bite: Updated this attack to move farther toward the target on land and have a faster recovery once the skill has been executed.
  • Maul: Updated this attack to move farther toward the target on land and have a faster recovery once the skill has been executed.

Moa Pets:

Pig Pets:

• Updated on-land basic attacks to move farther toward the target when executing on land. Increased the attack range from 130 to 200.
  • Maul: Updated this attack to move toward the target when used on land. Reduced the start-up and aftercast by around 0.5 seconds each.
  • Brutal Charge: Reduced the start-up of this skill by 0.5 seconds. Reduced the aftercast by 0.5 seconds.

Bear (Ursine) Pets:

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

On snap. Pets might be able to land an autoattack for the first time since 1442 AD?

Sharpened edges nerf seems bizarrely harsh.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Maul: This skill now grants an Attack of Opportunity to the ranger’s pet, causing its next attack to deal 50% more damage.

This one looks pretty kitten interesting.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Happy Pets. Happy Ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

yep meh like changes: our pets will keep instadying in wvw because the complete lack of cleanses and stun breaks. And it is still yet to see if they will be able to hit anything yet.

We got again our damage nerfed and all other classes got buffs in general.

No real improvements/rework in anything. Even the lighting reflexes is all wrong. For an skill that is practically an extra evade should have no more than 20 secs cd.

More bleeds in SHarpening stone will not make this skill desirable or useful and the same goes for muddy terrain.

Seriously 6 months waiting for this….

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Irijia.6073

Irijia.6073

Excited to try these changes out. I’m liking that they did something for pets. Not overly upset about Sharpened Edges trait being nerfed as I tend to use Earth sigils and we have a fair number of things that cause bleeding at all times but will see how it plays out.

in Ranger

Posted by: Krispera.5087

Krispera.5087

GS Maul is really good.

Wyvern (Electric) is probably one of the most viable pet now. It lands hits finally. Good CC, best AoE pet. Surpassing Drakes now. I may have said it too fast, but it’s probably the best well rounded pet now.

Random buff ??? : Throw Torch

(edited by Krispera.5087)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jherad.9013

Jherad.9013

New to the game, so I can’t offer any opinions on game modes other than lowbie leveling, but I will say that my pets seem to be doing SO much better in open world PVE now, compared to yesterday. Hopefully not just a placebo effect heh.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

People don’t use Greatsword because its autoattack is terrible DPS, only better than mainhand axe auto which is the worst auto in the game.

And they did nothing that would make greatsword desirable to use in PvE. Greatsword was already being used in PvP for its mobility/block.

in Ranger

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

People don’t use Greatsword because its autoattack is terrible DPS, only better than mainhand axe auto which is the worst auto in the game.

And they did nothing that would make greatsword desirable to use in PvE. Greatsword was already being used in PvP for its mobility/block.

I disagree, at least so far in my limited amounts of testing. In a remorseless build (marks/beast/druid) with hit bash refreshing maul, MoC and AS with quickness from BM, the GS is become extremely deadly and can really pump out the ccs/dps with GS/LB/pet (moa/smoke) and the remorseless traits

However, this is the ranger we are talking about, so i’ll curb my enthuisasm for a bit. I’m sure we’ll see a patch tomorrow by Anet that puts an internal CD on MoC of 10 secs and ups Hit Bash to 30s cd.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eleazar.9478

Eleazar.9478

Dammmm my build got buffed. Boiss just gs, and tiger, your talking 12k ish bursts. And with the hilt bash buff you can keep hitting like a truck

(The appended edges ain’t to bad just take sigil of earth to make up for it)

[Snky] FC don’t worry I’m just a scrub until I’m OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

They missed a lot:

1. Glyph of empowerment still 5 people
2. Spotter still 5 people
3. Spirits still 5 people

If they really want to do this they need to change those as well.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

I disagree, at least so far in my limited amounts of testing. In a remorseless build (marks/beast/druid) with hit bash refreshing maul, MoC and AS with quickness from BM, the GS is become extremely deadly and can really pump out the ccs/dps with GS/LB/pet (moa/smoke) and the remorseless traits

However, this is the ranger we are talking about, so i’ll curb my enthuisasm for a bit. I’m sure we’ll see a patch tomorrow by Anet that puts an internal CD on MoC of 10 secs and ups Hit Bash to 30s cd.

lol you must be talking about PvP, because moa does like zero DPS in PvE, I don’t see why you would EVER use a moa or smokescale considering dogs also do terrible DPS.

A refresh on Maul is nothing, it hits for half of what a thief staff auto does.

in Ranger

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

I was already somewhat using traited trap heal on my condi druid for more astral force so Sharpened Edges nerf didn’t hit me too hard. GotL change seems Ok; although its now %2 per stack its going to be generally easier to maintain in raids – which translates to higher dps overall. Sucks for fractals though, but its not too bad. Pets will also hit more often to moving targets, and wyvern CC in particular is more reliable. Finally, Sharpening Stone is very good to use now, perhaps too good. I don’t know if it needed the buff.

in Ranger

Eleazar.9478

Zenith uh gs is a defensive, burst weapon so it’s great for pvp who cares about it being good for Pve, you have sword and offhand axe for that.

in Ranger

Posted by: felixdacat.3804

felixdacat.3804

yep meh like changes: our pets will keep instadying in wvw because the complete lack of cleanses and stun breaks. And it is still yet to see if they will be able to hit anything yet.

We got again our damage nerfed and all other classes got buffs in general.

No real improvements/rework in anything. Even the lighting reflexes is all wrong. For an skill that is practically an extra evade should have no more than 20 secs cd.

More bleeds in SHarpening stone will not make this skill desirable or useful and the same goes for muddy terrain.

Seriously 6 months waiting for this….

+1

Thanks for the offensive updates to pets, I guess, but that’s only half the problem. Any skill or trait relying on my pet being alive is useless in a decent-sized wvw fight. And the other changes? It’s like they don’t understand the class at all.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Greatsword and Pet changes are top-notch, but some things look out of place or odd.

• Increased damage to “Throw Torch” seems odd.
  • Banners received an increase to 10 allies, as did Grace of the Land, but why not Spirits?
  • The reduced cooldown for Lightning Reflexes and Spike Trap seems as though it can also be beneficial for PvE. Why wasn’t the reduction applied to that mode as well?

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel as though a few more stuff could’ve been squeezed in?

• Viper’s Nest target increase from 3 to 5 to match other traps.
  • Predator’s Instinct having the cripple and ICD reduced in half for more access.
  • “Guard!” and Glyphs to work underwater.

Just off the top of my head, or might those make it on the next balance patch?

in Ranger

Posted by: Mocrassar.4317

Mocrassar.4317

My Ranger DPS decrease… 30 to 28k…

(edited by Mocrassar.4317)

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Sharpened edges?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Rap Tiger.1257

Rap Tiger.1257

I came here just to thank ArenaNet, now I saw that they ran a patch for ranger caring about the class, I also thank you for the improvement in pets, especially Wyverns which was the biggest reason I bought the expansion. I’m not being ironic, the only thing I really wanted was improvement on the pets and this was done despite the delay.

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

The Light Field change is actually sort of a big deal for us. While it hurts some of the dueling capabilities we had against certain classes by not being able to blast retal and stack it on ourselves and pet, we can now remove a passable enough amount of condi to counter getting condi bombed in Celestial Form.

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Ridiculous that they nerfed Sharpened Edges for PvP. There is put zero though behind it. Why buff spike trap and Sharpening stone, but nerf Sharpened edges?

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Zenith uh gs is a defensive, burst weapon so it’s great for pvp who cares about it being good for Pve, you have sword and offhand axe for that.

Because it’s already good in PvP and their whole sentence was about improving its desirability.

in Ranger

Posted by: apocalypso.4895

apocalypso.4895

I have to Throw a torch on these notes and say that saving pets and a whole weapon atleast in one game mode is a good direction. I don’t understand the cd reduction on the spike trap being pvp only tho, it’s not even meta in pve.

Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: apocalypso.4895

apocalypso.4895

Ridiculous that they nerfed Sharpened Edges for PvP. There is put zero though behind it. Why buff spike trap and Sharpening stone, but nerf Sharpened edges?

Because they want to nerf pve condi druid without affecting that much condi ranger.

Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

When they wanted to nerf only condi druid, then they have to nerf druid traits or skills. Nerfs to core stuff affects core ranger builds as much or even more than druid builds.

Overall I don’t like the patch, even though “my” build seems to be buffed a lot. Haven’t tested it yet. I just dislike the overall powercreep since HoT, that made fights a lot less fun for me and yet they keep buffing stuff …

in Ranger

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

Drake power attacks, Insects Swarm and Fire Breath hit hard IF they land, but…

They only land if the target does not move which might be only 10% of the time in PVE and 0% in PVP.

Useless skill in PVP and marginal in PVE.

Shame they continue to overlook this broken skill.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilrik.4630

Kilrik.4630

To me the pet change is the most significant change this patch. In testing, pets seem to be able to hit the moving pvp target consistently if traited w/ speed through the beastmastery line using auto attacks; however, the extended cast time skills are still quite inconsistent unless the target is crippled, chilled, immob. or somehow impaired. Specifically, the over 1 second skills seem to be hit or miss for ex. fire breath, wing buffet, etc.

Oddly, the cast times of some skills under 1 sec. still are hit and miss like drakes tail swipe at 3/4 sec. I suspect the whole skill is more likely a 2 sec skill when activated and finished with animation to after cast.

Overall good patch in my opinion. The torch was like so many others said ????. The nerf to sharpened edges put it in line with engie’s sharpshooter, though that’s a given as an adept minor. I suppose it’s to offset the buffs to spike trap and sharpening stone if used altogether, but that’s unlikely since someone using spike will probably choose trap trait regardless.

in Ranger

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Sharpened edges?

Yeah, my DPS decreased about 2k (I usually get 31k, now getting 29k) from the trait nerf. But from a couple of golem tests, seems like using Trapper’s Expertise is = Sharpened Edges. This is without Pinpoint Distribution from engi, though.

in Ranger

Wondrouswall.7169

Just a quick note here for PvE Rangers. Testing out Drake & Wyvern DPS on a stationary golem since the updates due to shorter cast times on skills. Here are the results (averages) with Beastmastery and 25 stacks of vulnerability on the golem. Sharpened Edges, Refined Toxins, and Companion’s Might were not slotted.

Drakes: 573 DPS
Wyverns: 1024 DPS
Felines: 1518 DPS

Even though neither Drakes or Wyverns apply vulnerability, the cap is easily reached anyway, and it was done for consistency since I had to run a Feline for comparison in the same conditions. I’m well aware it’s cleaving pets to a single target pet, but let me have my apples with oranges. :P

Note that the previous DPS of Wyverns conducted on Guild Wars Hub were done with the old Sharpened Edges (66% vs 33%), Refined Toxins, Companion’s Might, and a clean golem (no conditions). Following this setup, the new and old numbers for Wyverns are:

Old DPS: 424
New DPS: 986

That’s a 232.54% increase post-patch. Not bad, right? Wyverns definitely seem to be the better choice over Drakes as a cleaving Pet. They not only provide CC for break bars, but now have better DPS – approximately 178% better.

Hope this helps some of you out. Cheers!

+Note that F2 abilities were not used during either tests.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I don’t understand the cd reduction on the spike trap being pvp only tho, it’s not even meta in pve.

Same with LR. Anet shied away from splits for all kinds of reasons and now seems to be splitting skills that they have no reason to.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

Please add the Lightning Reflexes and Spike Trap changes to PvE and WvW.
I actually have a build that I opt out of these 2 skills simply because of their CDs. Running a short CD venom/flame trap and the functionality of QZ just override any need/desire for those 2 skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Please add the Lightning Reflexes and Spike Trap changes to PvE and WvW.
I actually have a build that I opt out of these 2 skills simply because of their CDs. Running a short CD venom/flame trap and the functionality of QZ just override any need/desire for those 2 skills.

Yupyup, I’d like this too.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in Ranger

Posted by: Pregnantman.8259

Pregnantman.8259

Sharpened edges?

Yeah, my DPS decreased about 2k (I usually get 31k, now getting 29k) from the trait nerf. But from a couple of golem tests, seems like using Trapper’s Expertise is = Sharpened Edges. This is without Pinpoint Distribution from engi, though.

Its good to hear trap trait is finally a viable alternative, but sad because it was due to nerf.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Sharpened edges nerf means no more sword in my condi builds.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Thank you for posting those numbers, Wondrouswall.

Gone to Reddit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

Yep, ranger got kittened again. I called it in an earlier thread and was nearly spot on about what the other classes would get compared to the ranger.
The other classes all got buffs and the ranger got minor fixes and a minor buff here and t here while getting a big nerf on one of our traits. Below was my prediction. The pet stuff I didn’t expect but it still doesn’t “fix” the pets.

Here’s part of it(I wasn’t perfect on it, but I think I was close):
Warriors – more invulnerability and damage output
Thieves – more stealth, dodges, and damage output
Mesmers – even more stealth
Necro/Reaper – nerf epidemic, but add more damage output
Elementalist – more nukes, with a few nerfs. Still OP.
Engineer – no love ever
Revenant – we like, but no updates
Ranger – you stay pigeonholed as healer because we only created druid for the raid content for the elites of GW2. In fact we’ll nerf your attacks with anything but staff. Oh, and that pet fix – NEVER – you don’t need that extra damage the pet is supposed to do(and takes away from your real damage output). It will still die to one shots, so keep it on a leash.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in Ranger

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

Elementalist – more nukes, with a few nerfs. Still OP.

Elementalist took a harsh nerf in PvE on enemies with large hitboxes. He should be much more balanced now in all game modes.

Engineer – no love ever

Condi-Ingi got buffed and he got an aura with 150 condition damage, making him meta for a condition subgroup.

Revenant – we like, but no updates

The jalis hammer buff could make rev come back into the raiding scene. The dps weren’t that far off outside of elementalist.

Ranger – you stay pigeonholed as healer because we only created druid for the raid content for the elites of GW2. In fact we’ll nerf your attacks with anything but staff. Oh, and that pet fix – NEVER – you don’t need that extra damage the pet is supposed to do(and takes away from your real damage output). It will still die to one shots, so keep it on a leash.

Condi-Ranger is still viable, infact with a engineer in the group you only lost around 400 DPS. GS got buffed. Pet survivability in sPvP is fine, the only game mode were they are bad is WvW.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Wyverns are finally good, hot diggity. I mean, now they completely overshadow the other cleave pet type offensively (well, except maybe River Drake thanks to that awesome F2), but I’d rather have that than have them awful. And Drakes still have better survivability thanks to having a heal and Weakness on Tail Swipe, so they aren’t completely outclassed altogether, just damage-wise.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

The change to GS plus reliable tiger f2 almost makes moment of clarity builds top tier. If they had better condi management it would be

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

I wonder, will the GS buffs make power GS/LB viable PvE meta? Never liked sword/axe actually.

in Ranger

Eleazar.9478

I wonder, will the GS buffs make power GS/LB viable PvE meta? Never liked sword/axe actually.

Nope dps still sucks but seriously guys, GS is a defenisve, burst weapon, PVE needs either 3 things Sustained deeps, buffs, heals. Nowhere in that would GS fit, howver its insane for pvp/wvw like it should be thats its role, not every weapon should beable to do everything.

in Ranger

Posted by: UmbraNoctis.1907

UmbraNoctis.1907

The change to GS plus reliable tiger f2 almost makes moment of clarity builds top tier. If they had better condi management it would be

The tiger can be killed relatively easy, which will keep builds that rely on it out of the meta. It only works if players ignore the pet. The dmg isn’t even new, just more spammable. And GS still lacks reliable defensive skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: XDeadzX.2581

XDeadzX.2581

Just a quick note here for PvE Rangers. Testing out Drake & Wyvern DPS on a stationary golem since the updates due to shorter cast times on skills. Here are the results (averages) with Beastmastery and 25 stacks of vulnerability on the golem. Sharpened Edges, Refined Toxins, and Companion’s Might were not slotted.

Drakes DPS is abnormally low, it never casts Chomp and doesn’t use Tail Swipe against a target in melee range. Appears to be a bug introduced with the patch. Drakes should be a lot closer if not better than the wyvern if functional.

With that said, Wyverns are in a very good place and may gain the advantage of superior f2 skills in all situations.

in Ranger

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Drakes DPS is abnormally low, it never casts Chomp and doesn’t use Tail Swipe against a target in melee range. Appears to be a bug introduced with the patch. Drakes should be a lot closer if not better than the wyvern if functional.

With that said, Wyverns are in a very good place and may gain the advantage of superior f2 skills in all situations.

I think it’s intentional to keep core pets weak respect to expansion pets…

in Ranger

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

“Of particular note, we are reducing Grace of the Land’s damage bonus and reworking it so that it’s compatible with all Celestial Avatar abilities and affects ten allies around the druid. We hope this improves the value of a single druid in large-group scenarios.”

It won’t make a difference as long as Spotter, Spirits and the Glyth of Empowerment continue to effect five players only. You will simply have to bring one druid per group if you want to be effective.
Another way of wording this could have been they simply wanted to continue to reduce the effectiveness of offensive druids in general. They already did with Power Druid.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

What?

in Ranger

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

What?

Like I said, if you were reading, I wasn’t totally correct. I copied what I predicted to show everything I said was going to happen. Some of it was tongue-in-cheek, but lots of it was downright accurate.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I’m sitting here wondering how we are into this game now a shadow over 4 years without any form of public test/patch server.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

Hit-bash range, I don’t see any change, still shorter ranger than maul. Can you please confirm?