Ranger Pets Removable/Dismissable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kobi Beef.3895

Kobi Beef.3895

I’m sure this topic has been brought up, it has to have been. I’ve been wondering what the devs think about being able to completely dismiss pets as an option for rangers as in Guild Wars 1. I feel that rangers get alot of hate in dungeons because their pets tend to mess things up. They are extremely frustrating when trying to lure, kite or keep mobs together. Is this option to dismiss pets game breaking or just against the vision Anet has for rangers?

in Ranger

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Yes please, I love my pet(s) but sometimes I need to keep it away. Even on guard she’s on the screen and blocks my view.

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Though you are absolutely correct about rangers pets in guild war 1.

Yes, Op, this has been brought up all the time and Arena.net states that they will never remove/dismissed rangers pets.

Unfortunately, that’s the vision for the ranger class.

As the phrase goes, “what you see is what you get”

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Ranger

Posted by: Evalia.7103

Evalia.7103

You know, I’ve been urging to ask ranger’s a question:
How do you bear with your pets lack of appeal?
It’s fine on low levels, but when you have a legendaries and are full of shinies, your pet looks really, really lackluster. Pet Armor needed, nay?
That’s the main reason I’m avoiding playing a ranger… for now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

My legendary and my drake look rocking together!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: Magnus Heartseeker.7958

Magnus Heartseeker.7958

Anet did make an announcement that they are keeping pets as part of the ranger. I do think they will make more viable builds that focus less on the pet though. As for pet armor, that is a great idea, as long as they don’t make all the armor skins gem store only.

in Ranger

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Pets have an trait line dedicated to them not to mention multiple traits in every other line as well.

Requires waaay to much overhaul for anet to "take away pets’

I would love it personally , since i think pets are useless, but it’s not happening. It’s not that easy and anet can’t spend this much resources basically re-working a class

All they can do is tweak some numbers around, maybe change a few traits.
That’s the most you will get out of this development team

Priorities are set to LS + gemstore items over anything expac content related (dung/frac upgrades, new skills, new gameplay modes in pvp, etc etc)

in Ranger

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Easy fix the the rangers class.

When the pet is stowed the ranger receives a damage bonus proportional to what the pet would do.

You would loose some of the utility of the pets aka some pois, bleeds, snares but you would gain the damage you lack in fights were quite frankly pets simply don’t work.

A good portion of the rangers problems in pve would be solved by this.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

in Ranger

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

The ability to perma-stow our(Rangers) pets until called for by the owner(and NOT by the game from the ranger being hit) since BETA but only got deaf ears turned towards the lowly ranger(except for the continued nerfing of that class), the ONLY LOVE the ranger ever got in this game was a ludicrous buff to a few pets.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

It’s been brought up before the CDI, during the CDI, and I bet it’ll be brought up again after the CDI.

I’ve set up a poll to provide a small data for people to use (not complete, but if it isn’t representative, then those who argue against it should come up with a counter-data).

http://poll.pollcode.com/38561745

You can contribute to the data if you wish. It’ll be welcomed.

in Ranger

Azreell.1568

The ability to perma-stow our(Rangers) pets until called for by the owner(and NOT by the game from the ranger being hit) since BETA but only got deaf ears turned towards the lowly ranger(except for the continued nerfing of that class), the ONLY LOVE the ranger ever got in this game was a ludicrous buff to a few pets.

I agree.

The ranger itself should be rewarded for have a pet out and having to micro manage him not punished. Also, a system like this would offer more rewarding play and push the pets in a direction of more utility/buffs then dps.

It would also offer a larger variety of different builds for the ranger community.

Again, It would solve the problem that certain fights are simply bad for ranger pets due to mechanics.

I really don’t see how this isn’t implemented yet.

For once I would like to view my rangers pets as anything but liabilities.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

in Ranger

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

My personal concern is that, if they set up a permastow ability that boosts your personal damage output, Ranger gameplay will be largely balanced around a stowed pet, and active pets will get left in the dust even moreso than they are now.

Ranger’s unique mechanic IS their pet. I like Ranger because of the pet gimmick, and I’m sure most others chose it for the same reason. There are plenty of other classes well-suited to pure damage output. What needs fixing is the control you have over the pet (responsiveness, options such as deciding where it stands/what abilities it uses/dodging and the like), and its overall effectiveness in cases where it isn’t quite up to par. Some minor boosts to the Ranger itself are fine, too, but not to the point where the Ranger can stand alone. That defeats the purpose entirely.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Ranger

Posted by: KeyOrion.9506

KeyOrion.9506

My only real concern for putting a pet away is that, if I’m in combat, I have a 25% speed boost with certain skills. Unfortunately if my pet is hit, while I’m attempting to run through, around an enemy, my skill is shot and the pet creates a Drag effect due to “Combat Conditions”. I put my pet away in order for the enemy to attempt to hit just me, not “oh look, there’s two targets, all I have to do is hit the pet, and that will cause a Drag effect on the ranger”.

Once the drag effect hits, I’m so slowed, I’m unable to break past the combat area.

Remember in the good old days of GW1 when the pet died, ALL your skills would go on cooldown, basically turning you into a level 20 piece of meat for vital seconds? BOY that was FUN!

When I’m cute, I can be cute. But when I’m mean, I can be very very mean.

in Ranger

Azreell.1568

A major problem with the pet always being out is he will never move properly.

Look at the new event and how it’s designed. It is literally impossible regardless of how much micro management you do to keep him alive during certain phases. He will simply just run over stuff he isn’t suppose to.

The new LA event is just an example of how flawed the ranger pet mechanic is.

Beyond making them immune to such damage (doubtful and would present a whole new set of problems) they need to do something because once again as it stands this is the only class in game whose primary mechanic is a liability in most pve encounters.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

in Ranger

Posted by: Toolbox.9375

Toolbox.9375

A major problem with the pet always being out is he will never move properly.

Look at the new event and how it’s designed. It is literally impossible regardless of how much micro management you do to keep him alive during certain phases. He will simply just run over stuff he isn’t suppose to.

The new LA event is just an example of how flawed the ranger pet mechanic is.

Beyond making them immune to such damage (doubtful and would present a whole new set of problems) they need to do something because once again as it stands this is the only class in game whose primary mechanic is a liability in most pve encounters.

I was doing fine keeping my pets alive by switching to ones more suited to the fight. Most of the fights, I had a devourer out for the ranged attacks, and during the fight with what’s-his-name that reflects all ranged attacks, I switched it out for a bear. My drake wasn’t too shabby in that fight, either.

Though, to be fair, I probably wasn’t putting out as much damage as other ranged-attack users. The reflect-y guy was debatable given that a LOT of people were completely locked down from the lack of ranged capability plus their inability to survive in melee range.

The class is always greener on the other side.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Jon Peters said during the Dec 10th Ranger CDI they know the pet has flaws, especially the F2. They can band-aid but not rewrite the code because it would “break a million things” … basically the man power and resources needed to do this is not going to happen. Allie Murdock reinforced what Jon Peters said earlier on in the CDI. Jon Sharp said during a STOG that we are not going to get more control over the pet because it will scare away new players.

Looks like me until Jon Peters and Jon Sharp change their minds or get fired and replaced with persons that feel that the pet should be made optional and we should have more control over it if we choose to have it out, my Ranger will remain mule status.

This latest bit of Living Story I tried with my Ranger, but the pet no matter the micro managing (because I don’t have a keybind for active/passive for some reason) my pet stayed dead most of the time. Why? I was in melee. Why was I melee? Because I actually want to do damage and get buffs instead of pew-pewing from 1200-1500 units back lol’ing. Those big ol’ red circles the poor pet just went full we todd ed and just stood there and didn’t dodge. Then durng the hologram phase when I was dodging through rainbow lines on the ground the pet just kitten ed right through them. So, did it on my Thief and Guard causing the runs to go much better.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

(edited by thefantasticg.3984)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

You know, I’ve been urging to ask ranger’s a question:
How do you bear with your pets lack of appeal?
It’s fine on low levels, but when you have a legendaries and are full of shinies, your pet looks really, really lackluster. Pet Armor needed, nay?
That’s the main reason I’m avoiding playing a ranger… for now.

Here, Pet Armour

And I’d love to have some tuning. Like “Pimp My Pet”.
Chromo Spoiler for Drake avalible in Gem Store for 800 gems, maybe Spider shooting gold chains instead of webs. And some bass improvement, some good Sony, to make my Bear’s roars more scary.

And better pet engine, increasing pet acceleration, attack speed also

Attachments:

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Ranger

Posted by: awge.3852

awge.3852

The way I see it is that many rangers don’t know how to control their pets; more importantly they don’t want to or don’t know how to work with them. If you put the time to run dungeons, fractals and do events everywhere, then you should not be considering your pet a hindrance, rather use it for what its meant for.

As a ranger I cannot deny that there will be places where it’s best to dismiss the pet (large WvW scale events for example), but for the most part you can use your pet as an asset rather than a hindrance.

Mon Fils — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Blackgate
Ranger’s guide to PvP/WvW: http://tinyurl.com/oht3e9z

in Ranger

Posted by: Avaruu.5408

Avaruu.5408

This wouldn’t bother me so much if the pet AI wasn’t so stupid and wild.

I usually tote around a sylvan hound for the heal. When I put it on passive, which is something I do very often, there’s a 90% chance that I’ll notice within the next 2 minutes that it’s out in combat anyway. I don’t tell it to attack and its heal spell doesn’t initiate combat.

Pets are annoying but an understandable part of the class…. my problem is that they seem absolutely uncontrollable unless you’re looking at what they’re doing constantly, even if it’s on passive.