Ranger Questions? Ask here!

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

/forumbug

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Malek.7830

Malek.7830

Thank you for offering your experience and knowledge, I think it’s invaluable. My question ; how do you make it so that the ranger’s 3rd great sword skill (swoop) takes you away from opponents when running away, as appears to making you leap towards them. I’ve seen other rangers using it to create distance when kiting, but even with auto targeting off, my ranger will dash towards the fight whenever I pop it.

in Ranger

Posted by: Malek.7830

Malek.7830

I meant to say ‘as opposed to making you leap towards them’

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hey ShadowPass. I just posted a build on the ranger forum, and im curious of what you think about it it is a hell of a lot of text, feel free to not go through if you dont want to, the build is linked at the very beginning I mained ranger since launch as well and i am also quite sure about what i am doing, but it never hurts to get some more things told, i might not saw myself that time

Heres the link to the thread, ty in advance

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Guide-Condition-Druid-PvP/first#post6640682

Hi!

I will post my feedback about your build here as well if you don’t mind. And no worries, I read every word!

To make it easier for other readers to follow along, here is the link to DerJoker’s build he posted in his thread:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3fjEqQ7KWuCusAVLWcEsmvVsqDAnUfqZVmAwkryVyxOD-TZRAQB1Y/BOcEA8wFBAAPAANWGAA

Right off the bat, I appreciate the thought you put into the build. The whole theme of “unblockable damage” is echoed throughout your build. That being said, you did admit you play it mainly in unranked, therefore the quality of players is not the highest. I do have some immediate concerns regarding the build if you were to take it into higher levels of competition.

• First off, there is a distinct lack of movement in your build. Shortbow/A-T leaves very little room for moving around, as your only mobility comes from SB3 and Lightning Reflexes. In a gamemode requiring you to maneuver around the map and contest points, this build will underperform against classes like thieves and warrior who can outrange and outsustain you in a heartbeat, leaving you unable to do anything about it.
  • Second, your survivability is also lacking due to the fact that you only have 2 additional evades! SB3 and Lightning Reflexes are pretty much your main defensive mechanics in your build, thus if an enemy player is able to apply significant sustained physical pressure, you will have to wait a very long time before they come off of cooldown, leaving you wide open to attack in the meantime. Compare this to meta Staff/S-D which has 5 movement skills, 4 of which are evades, as well as permanent vigor for additional dodges.

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

It is important to note that condi druids are able to spike up to 15 bleeds in a single skill. They are also able to apply upwards of 4 bleeds per auto attack from a distance. That said, your build focuses much more on smaller bursts on longer cooldowns. If you were to fight a build with significant mass condition clears on shorter cooldowns, you will have a very hard time trying to deal damage while avoiding it yourself.

• It has mass condi clear on a short cooldown, can maintain near permanent stability and resistance, and deals a lot of damage. Your build will have a hard time utilizing your soft ccs such as chill and cripple to avoid the warrior because of the near permanent uptime of resistance. Furthermore, when the warrior enter Berserk mode in M-Sh, they will be able to use Skull Grinder every 3 ½ seconds. Without sufficient enough movement or evades, you will be unable to avoid all of these, and will not have enough survivability to avoid the rest of the warrior’s damaging skills that will come before/after.

If you want a unique build, this is a fun one to play that works fairly well:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAWVn0rCVsilsCGsCEtiFDBDOrGWTrMBgRXpz519CmdjIN-TZRHQBH8IAou9H8XZAEeBAAwjAAA

This is my take on your build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV8YjEqQHL2uC2sAVLWMEsm3VwqFAnV/qpVmAwor0VyxOD-TZxHQBXY/hCeEAAwFBwgPAA+VGAA

Core version:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV8YjEqQHL2uC2sAVLGMEq/Au9av7ggtF4AY0L9SeWaA-TJhNABAs/g8PBgyLDM7FBAA

• My builds have higher mobility and survivability while retaining the condition burst application your build has because of Sharpened Edges. Muddy Terrain not only allows for lower cooldown condition clears, but also helps set up shotguns by AoE immobilizing up to 5 people for 4 seconds. This utility alone is exceptionally strong in team fights, as a 4 second immobilize while under focus fire is very strong.
  • The core version of my build also has additional condition pressure from the pet as well as the weakness we lost by dropping MH Axe.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hi ShadowPass. I would like to pick up a new class and ranger looks like alot of fun but how is it for small / solo scale roaming in the current meta? Would you be able to help me come up with a build that can roam well in the current Condi meta? I can acquire any stat combo so doesn’t matter what gear is needed just aslong as it can fight the other Condi cheese builds lol. Thanks in advance. =)

Hi!

Ranger is one of the strongest roamers in WvW. It performs well in small/solo scale and can fight against the current meta easily.

If you are looking for anything in particular, let me know. If not, this build is very strong:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAWTnUqA1Ci9CCOsActglZB7JAUn+WORt5UWD+fWQfolI9zA-T1SEQBA4IAoFlgRRZgd0FcwHBATUyBv9HWiSh+piwkUvZAXAgAAIA38mZzbGYoDdoDdoDtfezfezf+zSBE4OL-w

• This build has cheap stats, strong damage, and strong survivability. If you need more condition clear, take Evasive Purity over Vigorous Training.

However, from what it sounds like, you are having trouble fighting against condition builds in general. As such, I’d recommend going into the dueling servers and practice fighting condition builds with very little to no clears at all. This forces you to play around the class as a whole, rather than focusing on getting rid of the conditions you’ve already been hit by. If you play staff/lb right, using range and stealth correctly, it is entirely possible to not get hit over the entire duration of a fight.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Ha! awesome shadowpass! You should start hiring employees for this thread.

Thank you! I would but I enjoy responding to these questions too much, haha.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Thank you for offering your experience and knowledge, I think it’s invaluable. My question ; how do you make it so that the ranger’s 3rd great sword skill (swoop) takes you away from opponents when running away, as appears to making you leap towards them. I’ve seen other rangers using it to create distance when kiting, but even with auto targeting off, my ranger will dash towards the fight whenever I pop it.

Thank you for the feedback!

You have to untarget completely in order to Swoop in the direction your character is facing. If you are in combat and have a target selected while using Swoop, it will move in the direction of that enemy.

Just click a blank part of the screen before you use it so you don’t leap directly back into the fray while you’re trying to escape. Even knowing this, there have been times where I’ve accidentally charged right at the person I was trying to get away from! It happens to the best of us, haha.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvt Frosty.6973

Pvt Frosty.6973

Thank you for the feedback!

You have to untarget completely in order to Swoop in the direction your character is facing. If you are in combat and have a target selected while using Swoop, it will move in the direction of that enemy.

Just click a blank part of the screen before you use it so you don’t leap directly back into the fray while you’re trying to escape. Even knowing this, there have been times where I’ve accidentally charged right at the person I was trying to get away from! It happens to the best of us, haha.

Best of luck!

Or just go to your options and dedicate a Keybind to “Lock Autotarget”. Pressing this key, will always drop your current target. (Keep in mind, that without going into too much detail this key will also give you back a target if you have no target selected)

Just Filthy Kasuals – Bowscoooped!
YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

Posted by: DerJoker.9081

DerJoker.9081

Thank you for your answer, I will definitely give it a try and give feedback

in Ranger

Posted by: beatthedown.2651

beatthedown.2651

A more specific question. If you watched ROM streaming you may have noticed that he got really good at “about face staff autoattack”. If anyone of you uses this techniqe, what are your keybinds? I can’t seem to find a good bind for about face that would not disrupt other skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

About face is one of the most important keybinds for every profession. I use X for it.

If you can’t find room for it, don’t forget you can use key combos like alt-x or whatever.

in Ranger

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

K two more questions.

• Can I get an invite to [Wind]?

I tend to rotate my mains (4 characters) every couple months just because I gain a stronger interest in one of them every couple months. At the moment Ranger is my main but it will likely get rotated out eventually. Just letting you know that in case it’s not okay that I may stop playing it for a little while.

I enjoy trying to min-max and I’m just curious if there’s anything I could do to further improve the damage here.
I have almost exactly 100% Precision with Hunter’s Tactics, Spotter and Fury. 2,821 Power after using a heal skill from the food. +10 damage above 90% health and 237% Ferocity with all Cruelty stacks.

Don’t worry, I’m 100% aware of the risks this kind of build has. Just curious if I’m missing anything that could further boost my damage, or if it would be more effective to go for different rune/food/sigil choices, etc.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Hepatolith.6389

Hepatolith.6389

I enjoy trying to min-max and I’m just curious if there’s anything I could do to further improve the damage here.
I have almost exactly 100% Precision with Hunter’s Tactics, Spotter and Fury. 2,821 Power after using a heal skill from the food. +10 damage above 90% health and 237% Ferocity with all Cruelty stacks.

Don’t worry, I’m 100% aware of the risks this kind of build has. Just curious if I’m missing anything that could further boost my damage, or if it would be more effective to go for different rune/food/sigil choices, etc.

Above 90% Health, probably not, but depending on how reliably you can stay above the Threshhold, you could consider going with Ranger Rune, Sigil of Force instead of Accuracy, + Bloodlust sigil will result in ~2% more dmg than Cruelty sigil with that setup, and ~2.5% less dmg compared to yours above 90%.

Cayline Oakheart, Ranger – Drakkar Lake
Covenant of Bloodthirst [IvsI],
Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

beatthedown.2651

About face is one of the most important keybinds for every profession. I use X for it.

If you can’t find room for it, don’t forget you can use key combos like alt-x or whatever.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I need to bind a few weapon skills on my mouse. I already have a somewhat decent bind, but I still can’t combo every weapon skill with it.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I need to bind a few weapon skills on my mouse. I already have a somewhat decent bind, but I still can’t combo every weapon skill with it.

I made room by putting my utilities on alt or control of shift key combos. I don’t feel like it slows me down any because my little/ring finger or even thumb are often not doing much.

If I had a strong motivation like if I was paid for ESL or something, I’d probably relearn with ‘wasd’ moved over to ‘esdf’. Everything works as is, so there is no need for me to do that.

Don’t put sensitive keys on multi-key combos though. I’m not sure how to explain it, but you get less finesse with multi key combs. The timing can be off like 1/10th of a second or something and it’s awkward. So save it for skills like SotP where timing doesn’t matter.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoMee.8502

RoMee.8502

Could you recommend me a sPVP build for a Core Ranger without HoT and my tasks as a Ranger without Druid Spec? I tried the one at Metbattle but it feels very squishy and not so mobile to cap Points.

I know i will hinder myself without HoT but i am waiting for a Sale. (I hope it will come soon)

(edited by RoMee.8502)

in Ranger

Posted by: LanternHTD.5601

LanternHTD.5601

I haven’t played druid in pvp since they nerfed the glyphs.

Now I am using the bunker build from metabattle (I like s/d much more than longbow) but I find that I am not able to neutralize the point fast enough in 1v1 now and lack of cc in teamfights.

Any tips for me? Should I just play the bunker build with two glyphs instead of the build on metabattle?

And sorry for my english.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

A more specific question. If you watched ROM streaming you may have noticed that he got really good at “about face staff autoattack”. If anyone of you uses this techniqe, what are your keybinds? I can’t seem to find a good bind for about face that would not disrupt other skills.

Press about face twice as soon as the last ping goes off. This will keep the chain going and won’t affect your run speed that much.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

K two more questions.

• Can I get an invite to [Wind]?

I tend to rotate my mains (4 characters) every couple months just because I gain a stronger interest in one of them every couple months. At the moment Ranger is my main but it will likely get rotated out eventually. Just letting you know that in case it’s not okay that I may stop playing it for a little while.

Yes you can! I will send an invite the next chance I get. Although, the guild really isn’t active anymore. Most of the leaders quit the game. If you are okay with that, I will send an invitation to [Wind].

The damage bonus from ranger runes lasts longer than the one from scholar runes. Especially as a glass ranger, you won’t be able to stay above the 90% health threshold often enough for the runes to be worth it.

I would probably use a build like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNEQJATRjEqQLL2wCmsAXLG2Dq92DgzmH4AeE6C+3HiSkeFA-TVSBABUq+D5HBAzUC+0+DacIAwTXwVK/A4BAU+FAYzgAwN2A+//7++iUAUuMC-w

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Could you recommend me a sPVP build for a Core Ranger without HoT and my tasks as a Ranger without Druid Spec? I tried the one at Metbattle but it feels very squishy and not so mobile to cap Points.

I know i will hinder myself without HoT but i am waiting for a Sale. (I hope it will come soon)

Try this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRnUqA1Ci9CCOsActgBGhiD3vNA+noEaZ/zHhTvEpfG-TZRWABEfBAAY/BeLDU6hA44nAAA

If you’re going damage, act similar to how a thief would. +1ing fights and decapping would be your best options.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Now I am using the bunker build from metabattle (I like s/d much more than longbow) but I find that I am not able to neutralize the point fast enough in 1v1 now and lack of cc in teamfights.

Any tips for me? Should I just play the bunker build with two glyphs instead of the build on metabattle?

No worries! If you are going glyphs, use this build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAW8Yn0rCVsilsCGsCEtilEBzJ1lCadPBgk1MDequVHrl8s0A-TZxHAB+/AAkvMA67PAwFB47jAAA

• I played it a lot during one of the PvP seasons and it worked very well. It has high healing, good damage, and a lot of crowd control and mobility.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Hello, thanks to your advice, I’ve been able to utilise my LB with +400% efficiency.

I sometimes get tasty decaps, bristleback + rapid fire Thieves, and sometimes pull the 1v2 we need to get ahead in points. There’s the occasional knockback on rezzes and stomps. Sometimes you even get teammates that react to Ancient Seeds. I am grateful.

I need to work on getting my knockback cancels noticed though. Maybe bristleback mind games as well. And as you said, people do get very nervous when they pop a reflect but you just stow and don’t switch out of LB. They then tend to use more reflects and end up getting knockbacked sooner.

1. What do you think are the priority teamfight focus targets? Any conditionals, like a DH that just blew his RF? Necro with low Shroud? Power Rev? Peel the Thief spiking your team? When would you target the Engi/Ele/Druid?

2. Sometimes you get a full bunker comp and need the +1 spike roamer. Sometimes you just had a bad day and you want to plug people at 1500 range with vicious LB crits. Can you show me a balanced Power Druid setup, and a full out YOLO glass zerker setup for glory (sPvP)?

3. What’s your favourite pet for generating salt?

4. What’s the easiest and most difficult 1v1 matchups assaulting/defending points?

5. I capped home, got the far assaulter to retreat, but we are losing mid with 1 stomped. What should I be doing? I’m a rotato potato.

6. How do I keep a cap against a LB/SwSh DH in the first 10 seconds of the engagement when he spams all his CDs and traps to block my LB?

7. We know they have a Mes Thief far combo and I am defending. Mes engages and Thief is waiting for an opening to backstab. I am on Forest, Henge (home). What do I do to prepare? When I hold on for as long as I can but I die/have to leave and the point is full-capped with a portal, what do I do?

8. Can I also get an invite to [Wind]? I would love to meet other Rangers + get a pretty tag. I’m not ingame now, but can I whisper you if I see you online for the invite?

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

1. What do you think are the priority teamfight focus targets? Any conditionals, like a DH that just blew his RF? Necro with low Shroud? Power Rev? Peel the Thief spiking your team? When would you target the Engi/Ele/Druid?

That’s the beauty of LB, you get to watch people from range and see who’s just used their heal or whatever and then hit them with CC and reasonable RF+pet burst. Call that target if you didn’t miss something and they’re going to die.

Only one I would pretty much never target is engi. They’er too way too hard to kill versus what they contribute. If their auto elixir pops then ya, hit them and get them out of the way.

My point of view anyway.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

i love this thread shadowpass!

Any advise for a condi build for wvw (it doesn’t need to be full condi) roaming with a decent AF generation?

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Any advise for a condi build for wvw (it doesn’t need to be full condi) roaming with a decent AF generation?

Yes I would love to know of a decent condition build too please, if there is anything viable?

in Ranger

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

@Fluffball, thanks for the reply. Yep, not a lot of success with Engi unless they get focussed and auto-elixir procs.

I see what you mean about being spotter for the team. Although we can peel squishy classes, in big group fights we’re not really contributing (in terms of damage), unless it’s a rez/stomp situation, or maybe spike heals here and there. The root, when people have no CDs is basically an almost guaranteed kill.

Barrage is… not the best skill.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

??? You’ve spent years of your life roaring about how condi is garbage in WvW roaming.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Yes I would love to know of a decent condition build too please, if there is anything viable?

The old s/t a/d build is absolutely viable. The only problem is mobility. AF generation is a piece of cake.

SB is pretty good these days too. I even went so far as to make an ascended short bow. :O

in Ranger

Colly.4073

The old s/t a/d build is absolutely viable. The only problem is mobility. AF generation is a piece of cake.

SB is pretty good these days too. I even went so far as to make an ascended short bow. :O

TY! Fluffball

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

??? You’ve spent years of your life roaring about how condi is garbage in WvW roaming.

yes i couldn’t find yet a good condi build but i’m too bored of the power setup im using and with the increasing condi meta everything you fight is a bunker. And i havent being playing for the last months.

Maybe any of you is using a hybrid\condi build which could works in wvw for roam with decent af generation and mobility which also have some access to cleanses.

Let’s try not to derail the thread now will you?

I would love the SB to be viable in WvW however for me still feels like it missing range and utility to be an actual weapon.

How is axe after the buff? better for pvp or that buff was more oriented for pve? Still cunkly?

Traits and armor setup?

I TOLD YOU SO

(edited by anduriell.6280)

in Ranger

LanternHTD.5601

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAW8Yn0rCVsilsCGsCEtilEBzJ1lCadPBgk1MDequVHrl8s0A-TZxHAB+/AAkvMA67PAwFB47jAAA

• I played it a lot during one of the PvP seasons and it worked very well. It has high healing, good damage, and a lot of crowd control and mobility.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the build, it is fun and I enjoy it a lot.

It feels a little bit hard to deal with condi though. Without AF, it takes time to wait for the seed to grow and it only clear one condi.
How can I do better when facing condi with this build?

Also, I still wish to learn to play without glyphs. How to decap faster in 1v1 without longbow?

in Ranger

Posted by: Pvt Frosty.6973

Pvt Frosty.6973

Best of luck!

It feels a little bit hard to deal with condi though. Without AF, it takes time to wait for the seed to grow and it only clear one condi.

Also, I still wish to learn to play without glyphs. How to decap faster in 1v1 without longbow?

Scratches head, i must be getting cynical with age. If oyu want to improve the builds condi remove: a) blast your light fields. b) use this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAW8Yn0rCVsilsCGsCEtilEBDequVHrOpuUQr7JAksmZlI9zA-TZRHQBkb/B6VGAAXAABcQAW4TAAA. It’s slightly more optimised.

As for playing without glyphs. You wont decap without longbow. The only situations where you do is veeeeeery sloowwwllyyyy in 1v1s vs chrono/guard/necro/rev/thief if they play meta. vs engi/druid/ele as well as players that are better than you you will never get the decap. (which is why you should also never push into a 1v1 on their node)

Just Filthy Kasuals – Bowscoooped!
YouTube / Twitch

in Ranger

LanternHTD.5601

Best of luck!

Scratches head, i must be getting cynical with age. If oyu want to improve the builds condi remove: a) blast your light fields. b) use this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAW8Yn0rCVsilsCGsCEtilEBDequVHrOpuUQr7JAksmZlI9zA-TZRHQBkb/B6VGAAXAABcQAW4TAAA. It’s slightly more optimised.

As for playing without glyphs. You wont decap without longbow. The only situations where you do is veeeeeery sloowwwllyyyy in 1v1s vs chrono/guard/necro/rev/thief if they play meta. vs engi/druid/ele as well as players that are better than you you will never get the decap. (which is why you should also never push into a 1v1 on their node)

Thanks for the build and the advice
I should learn to save the staff 3 for the light field I guess.

Seems like I am really outdated on bunker druid lol

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hello, thanks to your advice, I’ve been able to utilise my LB with +400% efficiency.

I sometimes get tasty decaps, bristleback + rapid fire Thieves, and sometimes pull the 1v2 we need to get ahead in points. There’s the occasional knockback on rezzes and stomps. Sometimes you even get teammates that react to Ancient Seeds. I am grateful.

I need to work on getting my knockback cancels noticed though. Maybe bristleback mind games as well. And as you said, people do get very nervous when they pop a reflect but you just stow and don’t switch out of LB. They then tend to use more reflects and end up getting knockbacked sooner.

2. Sometimes you get a full bunker comp and need the +1 spike roamer. Sometimes you just had a bad day and you want to plug people at 1500 range with vicious LB crits. Can you show me a balanced Power Druid setup, and a full out YOLO glass zerker setup for glory (sPvP)?

4. What’s the easiest and most difficult 1v1 matchups assaulting/defending points?

5. I capped home, got the far assaulter to retreat, but we are losing mid with 1 stomped. What should I be doing? I’m a rotato potato.

6. How do I keep a cap against a LB/SwSh DH in the first 10 seconds of the engagement when he spams all his CDs and traps to block my LB?

7. We know they have a Mes Thief far combo and I am defending. Mes engages and Thief is waiting for an opening to backstab. I am on Forest, Henge (home). What do I do to prepare? When I hold on for as long as I can but I die/have to leave and the point is full-capped with a portal, what do I do?

8. Can I also get an invite to [Wind]? I would love to meet other Rangers + get a pretty tag. I’m not ingame now, but can I whisper you if I see you online for the invite?

Hi! Glad to hear it’s been working for you!

• Great question. If you want to play druid well, one of the main concerns in a team fight is taking pressure off of your teammates. For example, if a thief opens on one of your teammates, knock him back and rapid fire so he has to pull away. This not only alleviates some of the damage off of your team, but also makes the thief a little more hesitant to leave stealth because he knows you’ll be watching for him. The same goes for a rev teleporting in, etc. etc.
  • Another great thing to do is change targets very often. By autoattacking several enemies, swapping targets after each shot, you can make them think they are being focused, forcing them to pop defensive cooldowns such as reflects or blocks when they don’t actually have to.
  • If a DH used RF and doesn’t have Shield of Courage up, it is okay to focus him.
  • Necro is important to keep cc’d out of range of your teammates. As such, landing your point blank shot is very important. If you force the necro to play defensively, trying to avoid your longbow and pet, it prevents a lot of potential damage and boon corruption on your team.
  • All in all, I’d recommend focusing the more mobile, damage dealing classes attacking your teammates over any other target. Of course, if someone else low, help your team out and focus them as well.

• Electric Wyvern

• Depends on who you’re fighting. I’d say Dragonhunters are the easiest. Hardest to kill would be Engineers because of their tankiness. Mesmers and Warriors are also difficult to fight on point. Condition evade thieves are hard to fight on point. Though, they have trouble if you back off and out maneuver them.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

• It depends on where their far assaulter is going. If they are doubling back to home, defend it so you don’t lose that cap. If they are going mid and you feel like you could help out there, do it.

• Use Strength of the Pack so you don’t get cc’d off point. If he spams all of his cooldowns and traps, avoid them and he should be fairly easy to kill afterwards.

• Okay. There’s a few things you can do.
  • First, make sure to remember that thieves cannot teleport to you if there is no direct path to walk to where you are. For example, if you are standing on a pillar/wall, and you had to jump to get there, the thief will be unable to steal to you.
  • Second, if they send 2 to fight you, and 1 to cap their home, that means they only have 2 fighting against 4 of your teammates at mid until their home goes mid as well. At which point, it will be a 4v3, with them still being at a numbers disadvantage. So, stall against the mesmer and thief. Use the terrain to your advantage, jumping over ledges to give the clones a hard time shattering against you, and giving the thief a hard time bursting you. If you can keep the point neutral, by all means go for it. If not, that’s fine, just don’t let the mesmer and thief leave until your team won mid.
  • If the point is full capped with a portal and the mesmer and thief are still there fighting you, that’s bad on their part. If you can, kill the mesmer to waste his portal.

• Yes. I will also re-open the guild to the public. I do not currently have time to lead it, so, it will remain as a hub for fellow rangers to meet, discuss, and duel in the meantime. Any organized activities will have to be discussed/prepared in the future.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Thank you!

If you want to go with survival utilities, this is a good condi build with decent AF generation. If you are looking for something different in terms of utilities/traits, let me know.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Thank you!

If you want to go with survival utilities, this is a good condi build with decent AF generation. If you are looking for something different in terms of utilities/traits, let me know.

Best of luck!

Thanks! I never thought about shaman!

I changed a little bit to accommodate my style. What do you think?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAVWjUqQLLWyC2sAXLW4EM4W6Mtn2Ms6bBgnXwirhVyzSD-TVSFQBHU5liU3BAPCAKqEslqEARlIrUXQyuCArb/hAAIA7cnpzdG4n/8n/8n/sf+zf+zf+zSBgtKN-w

In this build I see possible problems with lack of damage.

I should be able to apply 3 different conditions every 5 seconds(torment, bleeding and poison) which should make Ancient seeds to work from time to time instead like never.

I hate the absolute lack of damage from the staff but it’s the only weapon with a reliable mobility skill. Sword#2 or GS#3 without ground target at wonky at best. You can use that mobility skill to pass thru the metaball zerg back to your commander for example.

However i’m afraid the build will lack enough dps to kill anything. What do you think?

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Posted by: GodSpeedFist.8642

GodSpeedFist.8642

Hello.. I’ve played GW2 since its was released long ago…
And I haven’t played the game in so many years..
I recently saw a ranger video where he uses marksmanship , wilderness survival , and druid and it piqued my interest..
It made me wanna buy the expansion and try out the build..
Is it still viable? Or are there other ranger builds better ATM??.
Thank you all for reading…

Cecilla Alcotte(Ranger)
Fatina Flameheart(Elementalist)
GodSpeedFist(Thief)

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hi everyone!

I apologize for the delay. I’ve been packing for vacation the past few days. I will answer everyone once my flight lands in the next day or so.

Thank you!

in Ranger

beatthedown.2651

Regarding condi or hybrid roaming builds I want to add some input too since I tried out a lot.

They really forced SB for hybrid builds with the nerf of sharpened edges. But SB is still garbage. You may catch people by surprise a few times, but it still can’t hold up to LB in WvW. Anet also tried to make axe viable, what a joke.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATWnUqA1Ci9CCOsActgFDBDOr+VTrPbhbXOjJAM6aAl480A-TVSFABEt/QfKBB4IAsmugkfAAVp87Q1fY7QAgwFAgUABO0C-w

This one was great until the SE nerf. Dunno if it still works. Only build that could hurt this one was a niche weakness spam thief. If you want to annoy a certain dh roamer/streamer, give it a shot.

edit: of course I don’t use Two-Handed training, my bad

(edited by beatthedown.2651)

in Ranger

anduriell.6280

Regarding condi or hybrid roaming builds I want to add some input too since I tried out a lot.

They really forced SB for hybrid builds with the nerf of sharpened edges. But SB is still garbage. You may catch people by surprise a few times, but it still can’t hold up to LB in WvW. Anet also tried to make axe viable, what a joke.
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATWnUqA1Ci9CCOsActgFDB7ZLEDyZMBgRXDAOr+VTrl480A-TVSFABAcEAIa/h10FgwFA4Q1fY7QAk8DAoPlgVp8jUABO0C-w

This one was great until the SE nerf. Dunno if it still works. Only build that could hurt this one was a niche weakness spam thief. If you want to annoy a certain dh roamer/streamer, give it a shot.

Hi! updating the modified build from @shadowpass. I gave a shot the one i posted, @beatthedown you are right. SB is complete garbage against other players the flanking requirement simply doesn’t happen and the range is too short for the effects. If only we could get the 1500 range in SB i think the weapon would be ok.

Yesterday i’ve tinkering with the modified build i posted and i end up with this one:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAnfWjUqQLLWyC2sAXLW4EsmhVfLA88CWcNM4W6MtnWi0PD-TVSFQBA4QAsSNBrb/BFp+jvOBAJ7JA0O9AvU5HMVCGAABI05OD8zf+zf+zf2P/5P/5P/ZpAyclG-w

In my plays the build did strangely okeish, it has good cleanses for the condi meta and can deal some damage. I do like to roam or go along with the zerg but not in squad thus the builds i play must have good surivavility plus an ok damage.

This one can achieve that and is not expensive to make.
Strong points compared to standard shout ranger:

• Rune of durability gives almost 2 secs of resistance once every 20 secs. That’s a free immob card every once in a while. Kindly keep in mind that condi is the rangers bane as we don’t have cleanses for that (albeit all the other weakness like lack of stab, lack of boon rip, lack of burst damage in general, lack of condi application, pets put ranger in combat, etc…) .
  • 22K hp and plenty of cleanses, good for condi meta.
  • up 800 heal p. which is good for zergin druid. Also for survival when you need to fill up.
  • Regen and mobility with shouts + runes.
  • Deal at least 3 conditions on target (poison – torment – bleeds) which is good to make Ancient seeds immob have some covert conditions.
  • Axe + bonfire helps to tag for goodies.

Not so strong points:

• Low armor, ridiculous-joke attacks like backstab is going to take at least 15k.
  • Very low damage with staff.
  • Not possible to kite as it has low range with axe.
  • Burst output is completely absent. Broken builds like aids chrono or permastun shield warrior are going to be inmune to this build.

I was really really painfully bored of the power LB/Staff set up. Would be good if this people at Anet would open more the viable builds….

I TOLD YOU SO

in Ranger

Colly.4073

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATWnUqA1Ci9CCOsActgFDB7ZLEDyZMBgRXDAOr+VTrl480A-TVSFABAcEAIa/h10FgwFA4Q1fY7QAk8DAoPlgVp8jUABO0C-w

Looks like an interesting build and also similar to one i liked in the past but a lot more tankier which is nice. Why the 2 handed training in beastmastery line though?

in Ranger

beatthedown.2651

Looks like an interesting build and also similar to one i liked in the past but a lot more tankier which is nice. Why the 2 handed training in beastmastery line though?

Oh my bad, missclick. I usually take Wilting Strike since it works with Smokescale f2 now.

in Ranger

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

@Shadowpass

Toyed around with the Power Druid build that you recommended I use and came up with this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNUQJATWnUqA1Ci9CCOsActglOBDelGT3pPtgQ1CzpvFAKclMtzA-TlSGABkrrpeVCGSZA67PAwlAQKlg//AAISpX0HBA6V3ZzgAwESIJ5//vNJpSBE4OL-w

Key differences between the one you gave me, and the small moderations that I did. Are, I added in a bit more Precision (30% BASE Crit Chance.) and swapped out some Toughness for Power to bring be above the 2300 mark. Do you feel like I changed too much, and that the changes wouldn’t be good? Because I have always heard that 2700 Armor is like a sweet spot for most people. (Build I posted has 2800+)

Main reasons why I changed what I did, was, I was uncomfortable with the amount of Crit chance, even knowing I would get Fury’s 20% added on. (I like 30% base on toons with Fury uptime, anyways, lol.) That and, I won’t be able to get my hands on trinkets from the new maps for a while, since I have done next to no, “Farming”, on those maps outside of what you get from progressing through the living story.

Thanks again, for being a fountain of knowledge for us new rangers/druids wishing to gain wisdom.

Have a great day!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Thank you!

Best of luck!

Thanks! I never thought about shaman!

I changed a little bit to accommodate my style. What do you think?
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJAVWjUqQLLWyC2sAXLW4EM4W6Mtn2Ms6bBgnXwirhVyzSD-TVSFQBHU5liU3BAPCAKqEslqEARlIrUXQyuCArb/hAAIA7cnpzdG4n/8n/8n/sf+zf+zf+zSBgtKN-w

In this build I see possible problems with lack of damage.

I should be able to apply 3 different conditions every 5 seconds(torment, bleeding and poison) which should make Ancient seeds to work from time to time instead like never.

I hate the absolute lack of damage from the staff but it’s the only weapon with a reliable mobility skill. Sword#2 or GS#3 without ground target at wonky at best. You can use that mobility skill to pass thru the metaball zerg back to your commander for example.

However i’m afraid the build will lack enough dps to kill anything. What do you think?

Hi!

Sorry for the delay!

Yes, your build does lack damage compared to mine. Using Sharpened Edges in Skirmishing, a Sigil of Earth, and one more cover condition sigil that applies poison, vulnerability, cripple, or chill on your staff is a great way to increase its damage and deal steady dps with the autoattack. Sharpening Stone is also great for applying bleeds this way.

Sword-Dagger has decent mobility, decent damage, and a ton of evasion. If you’re worried about damage on S-D, you can swap the Sigil of Energy I had in my build for a Sigil of Geomancy.

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hello.. I’ve played GW2 since its was released long ago…
And I haven’t played the game in so many years..
I recently saw a ranger video where he uses marksmanship , wilderness survival , and druid and it piqued my interest..
It made me wanna buy the expansion and try out the build..
Is it still viable? Or are there other ranger builds better ATM??.
Thank you all for reading…

Hi!

Sorry for the delay!
__________________________________________________________________-

• There are multiple builds using those traitlines, however, I have a general idea of what he/she may have been using. Linking the video you watched would help me get an idea of what you were looking for.
  • As for how viable the build is… it probably works, though meta builds are meta for a reason. The strongest builds atm use Nature Magic, Beastmastery, and Druid.

This build is very strong overall and ridiculously good stat-wise:

Best of luck!

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Hi! updating the modified build from @shadowpass. I gave a shot the one i posted, @beatthedown you are right. SB is complete garbage against other players the flanking requirement simply doesn’t happen and the range is too short for the effects. If only we could get the 1500 range in SB i think the weapon would be ok.

Yesterday i’ve tinkering with the modified build i posted and i end up with this one:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAnfWjUqQLLWyC2sAXLW4EsmhVfLA88CWcNM4W6MtnWi0PD-TVSFQBA4QAsSNBrb/BFp+jvOBAJ7JA0O9AvU5HMVCGAABI05OD8zf+zf+zf2P/5P/5P/ZpAyclG-w

In my plays the build did strangely okeish, it has good cleanses for the condi meta and can deal some damage. I do like to roam or go along with the zerg but not in squad thus the builds i play must have good surivavility plus an ok damage.

This one can achieve that and is not expensive to make.
Strong points compared to standard shout ranger:

• Rune of durability gives almost 2 secs of resistance once every 20 secs. That’s a free immob card every once in a while. Kindly keep in mind that condi is the rangers bane as we don’t have cleanses for that (albeit all the other weakness like lack of stab, lack of boon rip, lack of burst damage in general, lack of condi application, pets put ranger in combat, etc…) .
  • 22K hp and plenty of cleanses, good for condi meta.
  • up 800 heal p. which is good for zergin druid. Also for survival when you need to fill up.
  • Regen and mobility with shouts + runes.
  • Deal at least 3 conditions on target (poison – torment – bleeds) which is good to make Ancient seeds immob have some covert conditions.
  • Axe + bonfire helps to tag for goodies.

Not so strong points:

• Low armor, ridiculous-joke attacks like backstab is going to take at least 15k.
  • Very low damage with staff.
  • Not possible to kite as it has low range with axe.
  • Burst output is completely absent. Broken builds like aids chrono or permastun shield warrior are going to be inmune to this build.

I was really really painfully bored of the power LB/Staff set up. Would be good if this people at Anet would open more the viable builds….

Hi!

Sorry for the delay!

Great job on the analysis!

Best of luck!

in Ranger

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

It’s nice to see a thread like this going, good job Shadowpass

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

@Shadowpass

Toyed around with the Power Druid build that you recommended I use and came up with this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNUQJATWnUqA1Ci9CCOsActglOBDelGT3pPtgQ1CzpvFAKclMtzA-TlSGABkrrpeVCGSZA67PAwlAQKlg//AAISpX0HBA6V3ZzgAwESIJ5//vNJpSBE4OL-w

Key differences between the one you gave me, and the small moderations that I did. Are, I added in a bit more Precision (30% BASE Crit Chance.) and swapped out some Toughness for Power to bring be above the 2300 mark. Do you feel like I changed too much, and that the changes wouldn’t be good? Because I have always heard that 2700 Armor is like a sweet spot for most people. (Build I posted has 2800+)

Main reasons why I changed what I did, was, I was uncomfortable with the amount of Crit chance, even knowing I would get Fury’s 20% added on. (I like 30% base on toons with Fury uptime, anyways, lol.) That and, I won’t be able to get my hands on trinkets from the new maps for a while, since I have done next to no, “Farming”, on those maps outside of what you get from progressing through the living story.

Thanks again, for being a fountain of knowledge for us new rangers/druids wishing to gain wisdom.

Have a great day!

Hi!

I’ve linked you several Druid builds in this thread, which one were you referring to?

A few things to note:

• The first build I linked had 29.86% critical chance which gets rounded up to 30% base.
  • When making ranger builds using Signet of Stone in the build editor, keep in mind that slotting it affects the displayed armor/toughness value. So, if you were on cooldown in your build, you’d actually be sitting at 2650 armor, rather than your desired 2700.
  • I personally prefer 2800 armor over 2700. That’s about how tanky warriors are when they use a Demolisher’s Amulet in PvP.
  • If you have a stable source of fury, 30% base crit chance is perfectly fine. If not, aim for 50% base.

Your welcome! I’m more than happy to help!

Best of luck!