Ranger Rework

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Negativity.5801

Negativity.5801

I’m bored. Here’s a post of some stuff I think ranger bows should have.

Shortbow

•Crossfire has had its cast time reduced to .33s
•Crossfire damage increased by 75%
•Poison volley has been removed and has been replaced with:
Noxious Arrow – Fires a poison arrow at the target that explodes on impact poisoning nearby enemies. Damage: 453 Poison: 8s Cast time: .25s Radius: 300 Cooldown: 10s
•Quickshot damage has been increased by 33%
•Crippling Shot has been reworked:
Crippling Shot – Fires an arrow that cripples your target and applies multiple stacks of bleeding over time. Damage: 153 Bleed(x2): 5s Cripple: 5s (Bleed application similar to Warrior OH sword ability Impale)
•Concussion Shot damage has been increased by 33%

Longbow

•Long Range Shot damage has been normalized between 0-1000 range to 229 damage, 1000+ range remains 317
•Long Range Shot cast time has been reduced to .75s, down from 1.25s
•Long Range Shot projectile speed has been increased by 33%
•Long Range Shot Projectile Finisher 100%, up from 20%.
•Rapid Fire has been reworked:
Rapid Fire – Fires multiple arrows at your foe making them vulnerable with each shot. Damage(10x): 1,755 Vulnerability(10x): 13s Cast Time: 5s Cooldown: 15s
•Hunter’s Shot has been reworked:
Hunter’s Shot – Fires an arrow that cripples your target. Your pet gains swiftness and its next 3 attacks do 50% increased damage. Damage: 141 Cripple: 3s Swiftness: 8s

P.S. I know a patch is (allegedly) coming 12/14, I’m bored, and these are just some ideas I think rangers could be changed.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: NaturalPortman.9562

NaturalPortman.9562

I’m bored. Here’s a post of some stuff I think ranger bows should have.

Shortbow

•Crossfire has had its cast time reduced to .33s
•Poison volley has been removed and has been replaced with:
Noxious Arrow – Fires a poison arrow at the target that explodes on impact poisoning nearby enemies. Damage: 453 Poison: 8s Cast time: .25s Radius: 300 Cooldown: 10s
•Quickshot damage has been increased by 33%
•Crippling Shot has been reworked:
Crippling Shot – Fires an arrow that cripples your target and applies multiple stacks of bleeding over time. Damage: 153 Bleed(x2): 5s Cripple: 5s (Bleed application similar to Warrior OH sword ability Impale)
•Concussion Shot damage has been increased by 33%

Longbow

•Long Range Shot damage has been normalized between 0-1000 range to 229 damage, 1000+ range remains 317
•Long Range Shot cast time has been reduced to .75s, down from 1.25s
•Long Range Shot projectile speed has been increased by 33%
•Long Range Shot Projectile Finisher 100%, up from 20%.
•Rapid Fire has been reworked:
Rapid Fire – Fires multiple arrows at your foe making them vulnerable with each shot. Damage(10x): 1,755 Vulnerability(10x): 13s Cast Time: 5s Cooldown: 15s
•Hunter’s Shot has been reworked:
Hunter’s Shot – Fires an arrow that cripples your target. Your pet gains swiftness and its next 3 attacks do 50% increased damage. Damage: 141 Cripple: 3s Swiftness: 8s

P.S. I know a patch is (allegedly) coming 12/14, I’m bored, and these are just some ideas I think rangers could be changed.

completely unnecessary.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

That’s a lot of damage increases for the short bow, something most people feel is pretty good. Longbow is where the damage increase needs to be but I’m not sure 10% more damage and 33% reduction in fire speed will be enough.

Honestly, I wish the Ranger got a ‘finisher/execute’ type move where instead of being a closer like you’d expect for the shortbow, it would be a channeled stationary shot that did immense damage to open the fight.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

That’s a lot of damage increases for the short bow, something most people feel is pretty good. Longbow is where the damage increase needs to be but I’m not sure 10% more damage and 33% reduction in fire speed will be enough.

Honestly, I wish the Ranger got a ‘finisher/execute’ type move where instead of being a closer like you’d expect for the shortbow, it would be a channeled stationary shot that did immense damage to open the fight.

You mean like clusterbomb?
trollface.jpg

(im a girl btw)

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Jubei.5923

Jubei.5923

We do. It’s called Kill Shot.

Wait a minute..

No animals were harmed during the typing of this post.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

short bow doesn’t need to be touched.

sword has a design flaw because it is animation base. so you either fix the animation issue (arguably harder) or add another evade function to the kick or pounce option (coding is already there, as per GS), or improve the evade functions offered by the sword. damage is fine because it attacks pretty fast.

greatsword just needs a 10% incremental damage (per patch) over all until we find a nice medium, you don’t want to buff-roid everything. the way it functions is really nice, and i’m slowly starting to embrace it.

longbow can be fixed with a damage increase and arrow speed increase. if we first increase the the arrow speed we can then reliably assess the weapon if it’s dealing sufficient damage or not. if it’s still below par you then increase auto attack damage, and reduce the cool downs of the alternative skills (making them more spammable, yet retaining same damage output).

off hand axe needs to have a whirlwind defence that can move

after this, we need 1-2 sure fire ways of achieving burst, or increasing the effectiveness of our sustained damage (option 2 is closer to ranger’s current design, making a comparable option to take instead of necromancers).

pet wise:

fix drakes, so that they can use the rest of their skills through regular AI. increase pet survivability over all, and increase the area effect of the attack (area where hit is registered). i’m fine with reducing pet damage if the weapon effects are taken, i use them for CC and howls anyway.

fix our bugged traits.

(edited by Luriyu.6873)

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

let’s be fair to anet.. some of these are way too OP..
otherwise, who knows they will say the things we’re demanding don’t make sense and make no changes at all..

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

NaturalPortman.9562

otherwise, who knows they will say the things we’re demanding don’t make sense and make no changes at all..

Like I say, buffing ranger is a very touchy subject as any little change could possibly make them OP. We were once OP and now we are slightly underpowered, and to be honest I’d rather take slightly underpowered.

(im a girl btw)

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3415

Jay.3415

Like I say, buffing ranger is a very touchy subject as any little change could possibly make them OP. We were once OP and now we are slightly underpowered, and to be honest I’d rather take slightly underpowered.

When were we OP, beta weekend 1? really when no one knew how to build or speck other classes. Thats funny have u played thief they have gotten nerfed every patch since launch and yet i dont tpvp without one……

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

When were we OP, beta weekend 1? really when no one knew how to build or speck other classes. Thats funny have u played thief they have gotten nerfed every patch since launch and yet i dont tpvp without one……

He does make a valid point. Calling a class OP in the very first weekend… 2-3 days of playing is a bit absurd. Anet needs to really sit down and think about what they do beforehand more often.

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Negativity.5801

Apparently there’s alot of concern about buffing shortbow that much.

The idea behind buffing shortbow was to put it within a comparable range of other classes. I thought 75% sounded a bit outrageous myself, but when I thought about it, we don’t have any abilities on the shortbow bar that increase our dps. Shortbow lives and dies on crossfire.

Even with the idea that ranger is about moderate sustained dps, even in this respect I feel shortbow is too low. We don’t even begin to compare with other dps oriented classes like warrior or thief just in terms of autoattacks, and if they actually use their abilities? (Hundred blades, backstab, heartseeker, Eviscerate) just forget it, we fall too far behind. With shortbow, we don’t have any damage abilities to weave in between our autoattacks so unless some major rework is done to shortbow abilities, I think a significant crossfire buff is necessary to put it in the ballpark of other classes.

Atm, I think it’s a fair assertion that shortbow ranger is an autoattack bot.

I’d like to hear why you think other changes are OP though. I’m not delusional, I know this will never make it into the game, but just theorizing and hearing other rangers opinions on the subject is interesting. After investing a significant amount of time in almost every other class, I honestly feel like the majority of the changes I put in my OP are justified and even a step in the right direction.

(edited by Negativity.5801)

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Negativity.5801

I didn’t reduce LRS cast speed by 33%, I increased its projectile speed by 33% in attempt to reasonably mitigate how absurdly easy it is for it to miss on a moving target at long range which is where longbow is supposed to excel at. It’s just a placeholder number, but the concept of the change is there.

Also, I felt normalizing the longbow’s damage but reducing its LRS cast time by a whopping .5s was significant enough that LRS wouldn’t need a DPS boost beyond normalizing its damage within 0-1000 range. I left the 1000+ dps increase as kind of a novelty thing where rangers can at least see some pertinence in staying at range.

I also thought of trying to consolidate the 10 stacks of vulnerability of Hunter’s Shot into Rapid Fire to free up Hunter’s Shot to either be modified, or reworked entirely into another ability.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

Dont get that.

Why everyone is looking for buffs in damage output? I do play ranger lately – finished my lvl 80, i have done lot of WvW with ranger and also sPvP.

at this moment, i can say shortbow is more than fine in terms of damage output. Well to be honest ranger is totaly fine with damage, survivability.
What he is missing in my point of view:

1) utility for party. We can offer only traps as party utility and they are basically limited in use and only with specific spec
Due to missing party utilities we are only DPS nothing else. Even Thief can bring Shadow Refuge and provide AOE stealth, or at least he has access to hudge mobility leaving him nr one as roamer class. Thats not the case of Ranger either.. if we enter the fight, we can´t leave it.

2) more viable specs. At this moment there is not really too much specs available. But thats i believe general issue. Almost every class has nothing then 2-3 viable builds

3) PET UI and AI fixex. so many times pets act so.. so .. well.. badly..

in general, i found ranger is great solo roamer, perfect DPS. And even in party can do well. But is missing a role in party. Ranger has nothing what made him special.. every class can do what he can do.. and mostly they can do it a bit better.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Negativity.5801

I don’t agree with shortbow being fine for reasons stated in above posts.

I only created this post to discuss my ideas of possible changes on longbow and shortbow to make them more effective and to hear constrasting opinions. Although in short, I agree 100% with the rest of your post. There is nothing a ranger brings to a party that another class does not do significantly better. But for all intents and purposes, I just want to discuss longbow and shortbow damage and theoretical changes to improve effectiveness.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Aragiel.6132

Aragiel.6132

Ok, i see.

Lets focus on the weapons then. I still believe Shortbow is fine. Im playing it long time and its going fine. In the pass Crossfire was faster and to be honest, it was too much OP.. Right now the speed is somehow balanced. In general i see shortbow as condition spec for Ranger so its fine for me – it doesnt have too much dmg output and instead its applying condition very fast true autoattack.

Longbow on the other hand has its autoattack too slow. I would like to see it increased. Rest of the abilities i still consider doing fine. In fact slow autoattack is the reason im not playing longbow.

In general what would possibly make bow spec more viable is if arrow will fly faster to the target. Because right now its easy to avoid being hit – especiatelly from long range. You even dont need to dodge roll to avoid being hit by ranger. So – instead of any dmg output buffs – just increase the speed of arrows. And this is also what you are saying in the post above..

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: XENus.6931

XENus.6931

Shortbow really really really needs a damage increase/cast time decreased. It’s so underpowered. But i totally agree with the sir who post this.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Negativity: Unlike other suggested patch note threads, I appreciate how well written yours were – they read like a real patch where many don’t.. I got a chuckle at some of them but agreed with some others. Thanks!’

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

We were OP BWE1, 2 (our peak), and 3. In BWE2 i was able to go into a 1v8 and kill every last one of them before i even dropped to 50% health while i was in a defensive build, this was because both masters bond, and spirits were broken beyond belief, and the pet was actually responding to my commands 95% of the time unlike in BWE1 where he’d just go “You don’t have enough badges to control me!!” and run off to do something else.

In BWE1 when the ranger had as much weapon damage as a warrior PLUS we had the pet (who as i said above, was unresponsive as hell) we were very OP, you could crush people very easily from the shear power of your weapon shots and then god help them if your pet decided you were worthy of his effort and jumped on you as well, you’d be dead before rapid fire was done casting.

BWE3 we were not as blatantly broken as we were in the previous betas, but our spirits were still really OP which is why they nerfed their health between then and release, and supposedly an ICD was also put on them although i didn’t experience that until the last patch.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Nero.4706

Nero.4706

as wonderful as it is, theres one problem wif those suggestions – we’ll be faceplanting the ground ALOT coz we’ll generate heaps of aggro wif that dmg.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3415

Jay.3415

We were OP BWE1, 2 (our peak), and 3. In BWE2 i was able to go into a 1v8 and kill every last one of them before i even dropped to 50% health while i was in a defensive build, this was because both masters bond, and spirits were broken beyond belief, and the pet was actually responding to my commands 95% of the time unlike in BWE1 where he’d just go “You don’t have enough badges to control me!!” and run off to do something else.

In BWE1 when the ranger had as much weapon damage as a warrior PLUS we had the pet (who as i said above, was unresponsive as hell) we were very OP, you could crush people very easily from the shear power of your weapon shots and then god help them if your pet decided you were worthy of his effort and jumped on you as well, you’d be dead before rapid fire was done casting.

BWE3 we were not as blatantly broken as we were in the previous betas, but our spirits were still really OP which is why they nerfed their health between then and release, and supposedly an ICD was also put on them although i didn’t experience that until the last patch.

I played beta weekend 1, you 1v8 really ? video or it didnt happen….
I 1v8 now on my thief, see i can say the same bs.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I played beta weekend 1, you 1v8 really ? video or it didnt happen….
I 1v8 now on my thief, see i can say the same bs.

i’ve seen thieves 1v8 lol, you have to keep in mind, this is BWE1 and thus was a battle of the noobs, i’m one of those people that pick up games and their mechanics really quickly and then don’t increase in skill level very much from there so you also have to take into account i had a better feel for how to play vs the people who were playing GW2 exactly like WoW. However, in BWE2 having 2 stacks of master bond up made my pig hit people for an average of 5k damage making quick work of everyone when he felt like attacking.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Negativity.5801

as wonderful as it is, theres one problem wif those suggestions – we’ll be faceplanting the ground ALOT coz we’ll generate heaps of aggro wif that dmg.

Aggro doesn’t work strictly off damage. Different bosses/mobs have different factors that affect their aggro.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Aggro doesn’t work strictly off damage. Different bosses/mobs have different factors that affect their aggro.

expanding on this, a lot of mobs do not like to attack the guys far away, so unless you’re dealing SIGNIFICANTLY more damage then the guys in melee range, or the guys in melee range are super tanky you’re not gonna be drawing much attention.

Ranger Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Atish.4351

Atish.4351

I don’t mind much about the bows dps even though it would be nice to have it buff, but I wish MOSTLY..like many, for the pets mechanics to be fully redone, because the way things are…its getting very hard to try to do Lost Shores and Orr solo due to pets inability to do anything useful, for example kiting, pets CANNOT attack moving targets while YOU are trying to kite and stay alive, and once backed into a corner or have multiple roots and snares on you, you’re pretty much dead and I find melee to be really pointless, that’s my opinion.
So HOPEFULLY, this upcoming patch can improve the pet mechanics a little or something.

Ps. I’m talking regarding PVE only since I refuse to even bother PVP or WvWvW with a Ranger.