Ranger SB Nerf: Not 40 milliseconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

The problem is if its working as intended all his appearance or information would do is get him yelled at.

in Ranger

Posted by: Skolvikings.5132

Skolvikings.5132

The problem is if its working as intended all his appearance or information would do is get him yelled at.

So what? If this was intentional, they just need to tell us. If its not intentional, we need to know that too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

Still hoping for an official answer on this matter.

in Ranger

Posted by: Exodus.1982

Exodus.1982

Still hoping to hear something to, but losing that hope

I still cant believe a nerf was even on the cards for Rangers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

Still hoping to hear something to, but losing that hope

I still cant believe a nerf was even on the cards for Rangers.

Agreed. Especially with the LB still being so poor – I figured that would get buffed long before they nerfed our only decent ranged option.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

But that’s what we want to know. In the update it didn’t say it was a nerf, they said it was a band-aid fix for animation glitch (that nobody ever got).

If they intended the nerf, they should tell us so everybody who is already on the edge of moving to a different class (like myself) can go ahead and do so.

RIP in peace Robert

in Ranger

Posted by: Ruien.9506

Ruien.9506

Cracks me up.

The game is losing so many subs it isnt funny and they go and outright lie about a nerf. i have given them 40 bucks. i wont be giving them any more.

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

How does a game without subscription fees lose subs?

Anyway, I still see plenty of people playing everyday, even in the wee hours of the morning, Chicken Little.

in Ranger

Posted by: Grundar.2894

Grundar.2894

this post needs to stay at the top of the forum, and this needs to be looked into ASAP. I’m done with the Ranger class until we get a response if it will be fixed or if it’s working as intended, which if thats the case will either be re-rolling or quitting altogether. Glad i picked up Borderlands 2 to keep me busy until this gets fixed.

The auto attack is the only damaging skill we have with the shortbow from a ranged standpoint, our #2 ability only does noticeable damage when used from point blank, 3 is an evade, 4-5 are control abilities that dont do near enough damage to warrant using in place of auto attack.

Has anyone made a post in the bug forum ? maybe someone else needs to see this and not just JonPeters.. who doesn’t seem to care.
Never had to post in the forums before but this issue definetly warrants a first time post.

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Pretty sure Jon Peters and Jonathan Sharp are the heads of the Systems/PvP team for GW2. If Jon Peters said he’s going to look into it, he’ll look into it. If they determine a mistake was made, they’ll fix it. It’s that simple.

It’s a crappy bug, but it doesn’t make the class unplayable. Deal with it for a little while or take a break from the class. Just relax and let them do their jobs.

What really bothers me the most about this change is, I never saw ANYONE ever complain about a Crossfire animation bug or problem nor did I see anything from anet talking about a known Crossfire bug, yet this gets thrown into a patch out of the blue.

There have been many other problems (sword attack skill #1 for example) that have been talked about for weeks but seems to be nothing from anet about these. Until I hear otherwise, this was a coverup or excuse to nerf the shortbow.

That’s my primary beef….

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Ranger

Posted by: Astaldo.3081

Astaldo.3081

Would really like some feedback on this issue.

in Ranger

Posted by: NinjaKnight.1340

NinjaKnight.1340

Anyway, I still see plenty of people playing everyday, even in the wee hours of the morning, Chicken Little.

Yes people are still playing but as someone who played since headstart, it feels like many areas are deserted and the % of logged in players in my guild has diminished.

They don’t lose “subs” per se but the bad publicity will reduce the new purchases and people willing to spend money in the Gem store. I deeply regret my last $10 Gem purchase to get Fine Transmutation stones for my Ranger.

in Ranger

Skolvikings.5132

Maybe we should all open support tickets saying the patch broke our shortbow crossfire skill…

in Ranger

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

Pretty sure Jon Peters and Jonathan Sharp are the heads of the Systems/PvP team for GW2. If Jon Peters said he’s going to look into it, he’ll look into it. If they determine a mistake was made, they’ll fix it. It’s that simple.

It’s a crappy bug, but it doesn’t make the class unplayable. Deal with it for a little while or take a break from the class. Just relax and let them do their jobs.

What really bothers me the most about this change is, I never saw ANYONE ever complain about a Crossfire animation bug or problem nor did I see anything from anet talking about a known Crossfire bug, yet this gets thrown into a patch out of the blue.

There have been many other problems (sword attack skill #1 for example) that have been talked about for weeks but seems to be nothing from anet about these. Until I hear otherwise, this was a coverup or excuse to nerf the shortbow.

That’s my primary beef….

Well, most of the botters I saw were rangers toting shortbows. So I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the real reason the ranger’s shortbow got hit.

in Ranger

Posted by: SkaterNinetythree.7946

SkaterNinetythree.7946

This is a huge DPS nerf and must be fixed immedietly.

in Ranger

NinjaKnight.1340

That’s my primary beef….

Well, most of the botters I saw were rangers toting shortbows. So I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the real reason the ranger’s shortbow got hit.

If this is true then, they are unfairly penalizing real players for the Anet teams incompetence in finding real botters.

Personally, I think it was a mistake due to a rushed fix by the animation team. What irks me is the lack of timely update responses by the Devs. That is all it would take to appease most of us.

in Ranger

Posted by: Venom.8712

Venom.8712

This bums me out a bit. I prefer LB over SB but still use SB for certain things… Pretty much rangers are screwed at PvP until they are updated and on par with the other classes. It was vital to have SB in PvP since the damage output and dps from LB wasn’t reliable. LB is great in WvW but PvP is where SB’s are critical… So hopefully this gets fixed because I really enjoy the class despite a bunch of things that imo, should be fixed. I’ll stick with my ranger for a while longer, and lets just hope they look into these issues.

in Ranger

Posted by: Drakken.3427

Drakken.3427

I would be very happy if the longbow got a buff for the next patch, it really could be an amazing weapon if they took “40ms” off the current attack speed.

in Ranger

Posted by: faytte.1057

faytte.1057

Thats idiotic reasoning. The reason botters play rangers is cause of pets. The reason they use shortbow is our other weapons are TERRIBLE.

in Ranger

Skolvikings.5132

Where are the devs on this? Are we not even worthy of any update? Not even a “hey, we know you rangers are upset, but the patch broke so much that this way down near the bottom the list. We may have an update next week or something, maybe.”

:(

in Ranger

faytte.1057

Two days to test something the ranger community proved in two hours.

in Ranger

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

Yeah that’s right about our weapons and right about the pets— the search and rescue skill and bit of added DPS too. I suppose it is just as silly as the continual increase and ever easier trigger of anti farm code over the last couple of weeks or so. As a saying goes: “What they give you with one hand, they take away with the other.” So they loosened the screws on the anti farm code a bit with the last patch but then mauled the primary botter weapon of choice. Theory yes, but it’s better to rule all possibilities in than out.

Well, I still hope that it’s just a simple mistake like NinjaKnight said.

in Ranger

NinjaKnight.1340

Where are the devs on this? Are we not even worthy of any update? Not even a “hey, we know you rangers are upset, but the patch broke so much that this way down near the bottom the list. We may have an update next week or something, maybe.”

:(

if you check the Dev Tracker subforum, the devs are very active responding to Mystic Forge and Gem store issues.

Don’t they realize that players aren’t going to go to the Gem store if they are digusted with the game? Just ONE Dev update, that’s all we ask.

(edited by NinjaKnight.1340)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sotaudi.1265

Sotaudi.1265

They did outright lie. Not a single person over every forum I have checked or in my time playing as the ranger has this graphical glitch been seen.

Not even the Anet apologists have tried claiming they have seen this glitch.

Man, I am so sick of reading forums because of nonsense like this. How, pray tell, would you know whether or not you, or any of us, have seen the graphical glitch they intended to fix since all they have told us is that there was a graphical glitch and they have not once stated what the glitch was?

Did it ever occur to you weapon speed is largely tied to the time it takes for an animation to complete as well as the time between the end of one animation and the start of the next? Furthermore, did it ever occur to you (since they mentioned a change of 40ms) that an animation may have been completing 40ms sooner than they had intended or that the animation for the following shot was starting sooner than they had intended. In either case, these would have been correctly identified animation glitches, and no one would have “seen” this glitch even though it was happening every time they fired that first skill!

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t like this change at all. It looks to me like the change resulted in an unintended and excessive decrease in the weapon’s DPS. I hope this is the case and that they will recognize the error and fix it. However, you have no right to call them liars just because you have not seen a graphic glitch they never described because you haven’t a clue as to what the glitch they were trying to fix looks like.

If this were an aptitude test, I’d say you should seek a career in “journalism,” as you already have the rush to judgment without a shred of evidence skill down to an art form.

in Ranger

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

Nerf or not, I love my Ranger. If you rage quit over this, you’re taking the game way to serious.

in Ranger

faytte.1057

Nerf or not, I love my Ranger. If you rage quit over this, you’re taking the game way to serious.

I think people being angry over a ninja nerf concealed as a bug fix for a bug no one has ever heard of followed by a general period of non communication is sufficient grounds to get kitten ANET is setting a tone for our relationship with them, and its bad.

in Ranger

Digital Dragon.2697

I’m not saying don’t be angry, but the people who quit the game are taking it to serious. I love the game, yes I noticed a difference…but I still enjoy the game and not going to let this affect me.

As far as non communication…does that surprise you? They RARELY post replies on forums, so you can’t take their non communication as a direct insult to Rangers or avoiding the problem. For all you know they could be working on it. Multiple rage quits won’t make them fix it any faster, they already have your money.

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

I think people being angry over a ninja nerf concealed as a bug fix for a bug no one has ever heard of followed by a general period of non communication is sufficient grounds to get kitten ANET is setting a tone for our relationship with them, and its bad.

Are you seriously implying that ANYBODY would recognize a 0.04 second animation glitch?

in Ranger

faytte.1057

Im not quiting the game, but im quiting the class. Some classes are simply balanced far better. Warrirors beat us at ranged, melee, support and survivability. Its going to take a set of patches to pets, our weapons and our utilities (spirits) to bring us up to speed, and thats gonna take a long time. Why would I have less fun trying to compare with warriors in WvW who are kill shotting for over 15K damage with a kitten sb or lb? Our Melee is trash. Outside of PvE, our pets are mostly useless since they cant hit moving targets.

in Ranger

faytte.1057

Are you seriously implying that ANYBODY would recognize a 0.04 second animation glitch?

Are you implying that a dev in testing would not notice a nearly .4 reduction in the attack speed as a result of the fix to the ‘animation bug’ ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wickednisse.7209

Wickednisse.7209

Yes people are still playing but as someone who played since headstart, it feels like many areas are deserted and the % of logged in players in my guild has diminished.

They don’t lose “subs” per se but the bad publicity will reduce the new purchases and people willing to spend money in the Gem store. I deeply regret my last $10 Gem purchase to get Fine Transmutation stones for my Ranger.

A few weeks ago I was ALWAYS put into overflow when I logged in or changed zones, but it hasn’t happened now for weeks. That is something I’ve noticed. I knew something was off today when I logged in and it took ALOT longer than usual to kill mobs. I thought I was just tired – then I checked the forums. Guess it’s time to see if I can find another class that I enjoy as much as my ranger. My character isn’t fantastically geared, I was trying to farm the materials to make better gear but in Orr it’s just not worth it because I never make a profit – and I HATE the botters in Frostgorge.

in Ranger

NinjaKnight.1340

I’m not saying don’t be angry, but the people who quit the game are taking it to serious. I love the game, yes I noticed a difference…but I still enjoy the game and not going to let this affect me.

As far as non communication…does that surprise you? They RARELY post replies on forums, so you can’t take their non communication as a direct insult to Rangers or avoiding the problem. For all you know they could be working on it. Multiple rage quits won’t make them fix it any faster, they already have your money.

i’m guessing you are a really casual player with a low level Ranger. Check the Dev Forum, they do post, but if you look at what they are posting on it is really stupid things IMHO.

One just one update on a hot 30K view topic would be nice.

People who want to quit wouldn’t be on here. they would just have quit. We are players trying to get a fix or at least find out IF e should move to another class or leave the game.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Well Ive noticed very little difference in the shortbow attack speed, hardly noticeable and I was forced to play shortbow to play ranger till I said !@#$ it and gave it up. They nerfed it because it promoted auto attacking as their primary source of damage, which I agree with. Now if they can buff longbow, and a few other weps Ill be happy. I might even give up thief for ranger again, still the 1 trick pony of a longbow bugs me.

in Ranger

Digital Dragon.2697

i’m guessing you are a really casual player with a low level Ranger. Check the Dev Forum, they do post, but if you look at what they are posting on it is really stupid things IMHO.

People who want to quit wouldn’t be on here. they would just have quit. We are players trying to get a fix or at least find out IF e should move to another class or leave the game.

Yes, I’m a casual player. What of it? I paid for the game just as you did. My Ranger is 31, so yes I’m low level. But I’ve been using SB since lvl 1, so it’s not a new skill to me.

As far as posting, I meant in replies to post, not the stickies. No, I don’t read every post, every day. But from what I’ve seen, they don’t reply to posts by users that often.

And there are lot of people who quit, and still post, it happens in EVERY mmo. People quit, other people ask for their stuff. This isn’t a paid subscription, so they can still post if they quit.

If people want to fix the game or get a time frame, there are other ways to go about it then raging, quitting and saying ANET is a bad company.

in Ranger

NinjaKnight.1340

Yes, I’m a casual player. What of it? I paid for the game just as you did. My Ranger is 31, so yes I’m low level. But I’ve been using SB since lvl 1, so it’s not a new skill to me.

As far as posting, I meant in replies to post, not the stickies. No, I don’t read every post, every day. But from what I’ve seen, they don’t reply to posts by users that often.

And there are lot of people who quit, and still post, it happens in EVERY mmo. People quit, other people ask for their stuff. This isn’t a paid subscription, so they can still post if they quit.

If people want to fix the game or get a time frame, there are other ways to go about it then raging, quitting and saying ANET is a bad company.

So you are in favor of no one voicing their anger over a mistake? It was supposed to be an animation fix not a SB nerf that reduces dmg up to 30% in some builds.

On paper the devs probably didn’t think it would make any difference but they didn’t take into account the stacking effect of a tiny delay.

And the reason why level 30 vs lvl 80 makes a difference is because of the time put into a char. If I had known about this nerf at 30 I might not have continued on this class. Also, the mob you encounter at higher levels and in WvW are much tougher so every bit makes a difference.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tibbel.3450

Tibbel.3450

I performed testing on Crossfire this evening (data and methodology available here), and found that its attack period did indeed increase by precisely 40ms, from 480ms to 520ms.

I also found that the attack period is reduced to 320ms under the effect of quickness, which is not quite a 50% reduction. (50% would be 260ms.)

If we assume that there must be an inherent gap between the shots which is constant regardless of attack speed, and that quickness only affects the hidden “cast time” of the attack, then a base cast time of 400ms and gap of 120ms would give the above results.

Just thought I’d help get the facts out there.

Might makes me right.

in Ranger

Skolvikings.5132

I think it’s wrong for any of us to ASSUME this was an intentional nerf. We don’t know all the facts yet, so we shouldn’t judge. (It’s sad when people jump to conclusions and always assume the worst.)

What we can judge is ANet’s lack of communication. We SHOULD judge them on that. How long does it take to get a response? It shouldn’t take this long. FAIL!

(edited by Skolvikings.5132)

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Are you implying that a dev in testing would not notice a nearly .4 reduction in the attack speed as a result of the fix to the ‘animation bug’ ?

I didn’t imply anything at all. You seem to think that everybody and their brother would notice a 0.04 (notice the extra zero) second difference in animations. You’re making a mountain out of a molehill.

If they did accidentally over adjust the attack speed, I’m sure they’ll fix it. They’ve already stated, in this thread, that they’re looking into it.

in Ranger

Skolvikings.5132

ANet never said it was a 40 millisecond animation glitch. They only said they added 40 milliseconds to fix the glitch. At this point, we don’t know what the glitch was or how long it was.

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Okay, so in any case the animation glitch was 40 milliseconds or less. Obviously nobody even noticed it, they fixed the glitch, it didn’t make an earth shattering difference. If they hadn’t posted the change, how many people do you even think would have noticed?

in Ranger

NinjaKnight.1340

Okay, so in any case the animation glitch was 40 milliseconds or less. Obviously nobody even noticed it, they fixed the glitch, it didn’t make an earth shattering difference. If they hadn’t posted the change, how many people do you even think would have noticed?

Er, yes. It is very noticeable if you have a build that focuses on the damage stacking that comes from crits.

30% damage reduction is huge.

Why are you defending them? Allthey have to say is “issue confirmed, will correct in next patch”. Looking into it is very vague.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

They did outright lie. Not a single person over every forum I have checked or in my time playing as the ranger has this graphical glitch been seen.

Not even the Anet apologists have tried claiming they have seen this glitch.

Man, I am so sick of reading forums because of nonsense like this. How, pray tell, would you know whether or not you, or any of us, have seen the graphical glitch they intended to fix since all they have told us is that there was a graphical glitch and they have not once stated what the glitch was?

Did it ever occur to you weapon speed is largely tied to the time it takes for an animation to complete as well as the time between the end of one animation and the start of the next? Furthermore, did it ever occur to you (since they mentioned a change of 40ms) that an animation may have been completing 40ms sooner than they had intended or that the animation for the following shot was starting sooner than they had intended. In either case, these would have been correctly identified animation glitches, and no one would have “seen” this glitch even though it was happening every time they fired that first skill!

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t like this change at all. It looks to me like the change resulted in an unintended and excessive decrease in the weapon’s DPS. I hope this is the case and that they will recognize the error and fix it. However, you have no right to call them liars just because you have not seen a graphic glitch they never described because you haven’t a clue as to what the glitch they were trying to fix looks like.

If this were an aptitude test, I’d say you should seek a career in “journalism,” as you already have the rush to judgment without a shred of evidence skill down to an art form.

Then the change was intended as a nerf to the attack speed of the bow and they should have put that in the notes.

But that also leaves us with the problem that they intended the shortbow to be as mediocre as all our other weapons. So what exactly is Ranger supposed to do? I swear if they had made it so that Shortbow hurts yourself with every shot some people would be defending this horrible patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: Criminal.5627

Criminal.5627

any one that plays sPvP with a short bow or relied on bleed stacks would have noticed the change even if it wasnt in the notes.
to be fair there could be a very simple fix to this that they could do, insted of changing the attack speed, if they lengthened the bleed from crossfire it would inturn make up for any dmg lost from increasing the animation and also fix pretty much all the gripe that has come up from the delay that had been added to the skill. pvp would be back to normal and pve would be close to the way it was ( its harder to shoot an npc in the back then a player who has to turn manualy

Giant spiders of the world are just misunderstood creatures, they love to snuggle too.

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Er, yes. It is very noticeable if you have a build that focuses on the damage stacking that comes from crits.

30% damage reduction is huge.

Why are you defending them? Allthey have to say is “issue confirmed, will correct in next patch”. Looking into it is very vague.

Are you kidding? I’m defending them because they’re looking into it. They haven’t said one way or the other whether it’s working as intended or not. Why would they come out and say, “SURE THING, GUYS! WE’LL GET RIGHT ON IT!” if they have no intention of fixing it and it’s working as intended?

I’d rather them actually check into the issue before reporting back to the player base than have them kowtowing to everyone to appease the tear-riddled QZ+SB masses.

in Ranger

Posted by: Darktoast.9857

Darktoast.9857

I am not mad at Anet for nerfing the only viable weapon in spvp for the ranger. I am mad that they lied about it. If the nerf was unintentional why haven’t they responded to the ranger playerbase? Simple answer is : They pretend to care, but the really don’t. Good Job Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Alynda Noqurden.7428

Alynda Noqurden.7428

From everything that has been said/read (didnt read all of it, to much foaming at the mouth), it appears most people are depressed about the SB speed which inturn does effect damage, yes it very well may do little damage but it shoots at a speed that makes up for it and ontop of that applies a bleed (if your shooting them in the side or back) i fail to see how a fix to an apparent glitch (that some say was never happening to begin with) should cause so much hate and anger…. If you are a good ranger and you truely like the class then you will make do and adapt… from what ive seen most of the foaming people simply remind me of the QQ for D3 Inferno mode Act2-4 to be nerfed (if you couldnt do it then you obv didnt belong… learn to adapt and quit being so fail)… Anet is obv trying to work out the classes and ensure that they are bug/glitch free while not drastically nerfing or buffing a proffession like another company loves to do…

@NinjaKnight
Teemo

in Ranger

faytte.1057

The issue is the ranger has no other good weapon to fall back to and the speed of the SB #1 is the reason a variety of builds work on it. Slowing down the attack has a very large impact on the damage of bleed builds as you can no longer maintain nearly as many bleeds are before, especially during QZ.

If we had other viable weapons, it would not be as big of an issue.

in Ranger

Posted by: Leogolas.6941

Leogolas.6941

@alynda
Whatever you have post is totally irrelevant to the issue rangers is angry about
The patch was to fix a phantom glitch which no 1 notice .it was not suppose to do anything else except that. But Apparently it did more and nerf our damage output .
Yes the attacking speed of SB. I tested all the weapon available to ranger, SB is the 1 that I feel is the only good weapon that could just barely keep up with the damage output of other classes. But it’s beside the point .
The main point of the out rage is simple , ranger community was expecting a improvement to our multi bugged class but what we got was a nerf when the patch intention was to fix a glitch.
If you can’t see the issue here, do not post anything here to irritate the “angry mobs” here.
Lastly I hate people who thinks they are great and call ppl fail . In what way do you feel that you are more superior? Those who look down on others will tend to fail in the end.

[TSA] The Stuffed Animals
~We Are Deadly When Required~

in Ranger

Posted by: Beecheese.4930

Beecheese.4930

AN is suck at caculating, a lot data is wrong, they can’t even give a right description on tooltip.

in Ranger

Posted by: Silent.4378

Silent.4378

would love to get a status from anet, i guess Jon will never get bk to us.

Im just annoyed due to the fact that they call this nerf an animation fix and dont even acknowledge the damage decrease in the patch notes.

(edited by Silent.4378)