Ranger SB Nerf: Not 40 milliseconds

in Ranger

Posted by: Pixaul.2134

Pixaul.2134

Rangers were underpowered overall, there was one build that put them on level playing field which took the hit of this puppy update. The weapon was reworked because someone that doesn’t even play the class doesn’t find it fits their sense of fun, which seems a bit odd to say the least. If it was thought that the weapon wasn’t fun the weapon should have been made fun, not worse.

The bigger problem is that the other ranger weapons are just not viable enough for general situations, they are littered with bugs which stop them being viable (the shortbow still has its fair share of the problems, like rarely actually causing retreat on skill 3) , which is why most players were cornered into the 1 weapon. I’d much rather use a Longbow but the skills are boring and the damage is laughable when compared with all other classes other than Elementalist, the game really needs to be balanced for PVP since nearly all you ever see running are Thieves and Warriors, I actually had one sPVP game where everyone except me was a Thief, really highlights the balance.

If you’re lacking inspiration for how to make the archery of the Ranger class fun, look at other games like the Lord of the Rings series. Playing Legolas with Longbow and two Swords was fun.

One this that is currently wrong with the Ranger is that the class is in a kind of half way house in terms of classing, Beast Master class and Archer. I have seen quite a lot of people that want nothing to do with the pets (me included), they are poorly executed and in PVP are completely ignored.

in Ranger

Posted by: Duncan.7294

Duncan.7294

It’s a bit strange to say that we should all only talk about what 40 milliseconds is when the math itself seems pretty well hashed out by this point.

Initially, something was taken away from players in what appears to be a dishonest way; in my opinion no explanation would be better than a half-truth. Following that more information was supplied by a developer giving a different reason for the nerf. This makes it seem even more likely that “animation glitch” was a half-truth.

The bugged nature of quickness and the true impact of the nerf on condition builds have never been acknowledged. People will continue to vent their frustration without a clear statement by Anet about the direction of development or fix for the ranger Crossfire skill including responses to the important points which may or may not be hidden between a number of understandably emotionally laden posts in this thread.

Edit: Previous version of this post deleted by moderators. This post edited to avoid deletion. If you do not remove wording about moderators that can be construed as impugning their actions, your post will be deleted.

in Ranger

Posted by: Othayuni.7369

Othayuni.7369

To the developers: I just wanted to chime in here (now that I can finally log into the forums)…
The “spam 1” approach to doing damage with the Shortbow (while continually attempting to maintain flanking position on your enemy) is exactly why I fell in love with the class, and to me was the exact definition of “fun”.
With all the other weapons in the game, you essentially play “whack a mole” with your big hitting abilities. With the Shortbow, the fun is in the need to position yourself properly to maintain optimal damage (while dropping traps and attempting to control your pet). The beauty of it is, as long as you are doing so, you continually feel like you’re putting out solid DPS – and the remaining abilities on the weapon help you control the fight or kite your foe.
I thought it was very elegantly designed, and I loved it. Since the whole usability of the weapon is designed around “spamming 1” – there really IS no other way to use the Shortbow – and almost the entire population of the Ranger class is up in arms about the “spamming 1 isn’t fun” comment… maybe you might want to rethink redesigning the weapon 2 months into playing the game. A whole lot of people really think it IS fun.

This! A thousand times this. This is exactly why I loved shortbow; it was fascinating to build mobility and control around one backbone ability that was, while simple at a glance, able to be used in deep, complex ways.

I’d also like to comment I’m really proud of the community at the moment for the quality of posts that’s emerged in this thread. Early on there was a lot of unproductive general “angry gamer” whining—“ranger sucks, arenanet sucks, quitting the game forever”, etc etc etc—and while I understood the outrage I felt like it was very poorly handled. Lately I feel as though the posts with which we’re voicing our concerns have become a -lot- more mature, grounded, well-reasoned, and respectfully, powerfully honest, which—pray with me!—the developers take notice of. You’ve all been doing great for the most part and I hope it helps communicate how legitimate our concern is.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vizual.3504

Vizual.3504

I dont really use the forums normally, but i just wanted to say that i can’t agree more with all the community.

As a pvp only player ( 350+ tournaments won as a ranger) that fix is feeling quite bad as the ranger wasn’t the most advantaged class out there before…

I tried all the class and i only REALLY like the ranger. What i like in the SB is that you have to master the positioning in order to apply as much pressure as possible. Its also a really fast/reactive gameplay.

I dont think you guys at Anet should tell me if spamming 1 is or isn’t a fun way of playing.

If you want to prevent it, you should buff/change the other skills on the SB, cause actually they are really useful tools but quick shot, crippling shot and concussion shot are really situational. (Poison volley is not cause i have to refresh poison at close range to prevent enemies from healing).

To finish, something is wrong with Quickening Zephir, i can feel the difference on my basic attacks its annoying but not that big, but when it comes from QZ, it feels really really slow compared to what it was.

PS : im not english native so pardon me for being a grammer nazi.

in Ranger

Posted by: Othayuni.7369

Othayuni.7369

Just wanted to say your english is very good (I wouldn’t have guessed), and I agree wholeheartedly with your perspective on the crossfire thing!0

in Ranger

Posted by: WarriorKitten.7192

WarriorKitten.7192

Rangers are now the #1 one target in every game…they fall fast and don’t fight back. Thief players are having a laugh. ^^ Since the update can’t even get past round 1 in pub tourney. Just face rolled by everything. Too squishy and not enough damage output.

in Ranger

Posted by: Venom.8712

Venom.8712

Here’s my input-
SB’s are the only reliable main weapon for PvP because the dps for longbow isn’t enough. This nerf leaves rangers outside of PvP almost completely because the one weapon that gave us a chance has been changed. The other skills on SB can’t be really used in combo’s or tactical ways as they are mainly condition skills, so again, I don’t think there should be a reason to “encourage players to not spam 1” because for SB, that was the main source of damage.
LB’s can be good for certain things but they aren’t ment for PvP. I think that’s why a lot of people are upset, because this nerf takes us out of the PvP area’s completely and pretty much makes our class PVE.
Yeah, this is one of the few problems with Rangers but at least you guys are looking into it.

in Ranger

Posted by: DooSan.8527

DooSan.8527

Also stop exaggerating people, this sole nerf didn’t make Ranger unplayable, those who say that this completly destroyed the class can’t either play Ranger or they want it to be easy faceroll and not so skill dependant, this didn’t ruin our class, however we didn’t deserve this nerf, but if it remains it still didn’t kill our class.

Well, replace the unplayable words below by “not viable”

It makes a combination of skills not viable, it makes a ranger template based on shortbow + conditions + quickness not viable.
You can’t use a ShortBow with Quickness habilities, since it’s bugged and doesn’t correspond to the tooltip description that is :

Skills and actions are twice as fast

See many posts you’ll find in this thread to understand that.

Therefore, when you play a ranger with ShortBow, you shouldn’t :

- have to put 5 points in Bestmasteries trait just to benefits the 2s of quickness when switching pets.
- use the slot skill called “Quickening Zephyr”.
- place a “Superior sigil of rage” or “Superior sigil of quickness” on your shortbow.

All this due to the SB+Quickness bugged combination.

Well, let’s see what my ranger is wearing :
1 rare armor (power, precision, condition damage) (was about to change it when the fix applied, didn’t do it for obvious reasons)
2 exotic armor (power, precision, condition damage)
3 exotic armor (power, vitality, condition damage)
2 exotic accessories (power, vitality, condition damage)
2 exotic ring (power, vitality, condition damage)
1 exotic amulet (power, vitality, condition damage)
6 superior rune of speed (for quasi constant swiftness in WvW)

weapon set 1 :
- exotic Shortbow (power, precision, condition damage) – can be swapped with another exotic shortbow that have vitality instead of precision.

Weapon set 2 :
- exotic axe (power, precision, condition damage)
- exotic horn (power, precision, critical hit)

the traits are :
30 (IV – VIII – XI) / 5 / 20 (VI – VII) / 10 (V) / 5

My ranger has a quasi constant swiftness in order to roam in WvW with a group of guildies (but will be fixed soon, it may not be considered fun).
I was able to spam something like 8 arrow/second for 6 seconds (4 with Quickening Zephyr + 2 with pet switch) (6*8 = 48 arrows) while trying to move around my target in order to place bleed stacks.
For thoses 6 seconds, dmgs are :

• 11.4k damages (basing on skill tootips) (239*48)
  • ~3k condition damage with bleeding when moving myself correctly or if the pvp opponent doesn’t move, that you’ll never find on WvW maps excepts PNJ.
  • extra 22% crits for something like 2.5k dmgs.

This only using the “no fun way, aka spam” Mr Jon Peters does’nt want us to play anymore, due to lack of fun.
That is something like 17k dmgs dealt in 6 second, not enought to kill a descent lvl 80 character with a full exotic stuff.
With the nerf of SB quickness, it’s not 6 seconds to deal that amount of damages, it’s something like 9 or 10 seconds, or more.
Considering you’ll have to add something like 3 second of shooting with other skillshots from bow or axe/horn to kill your opponent, that was ~9s of fight before the “fix” bug, it’s now 12 or 13s.

What other weapon will allow me to do that amount of damage in that time with the stuff i played one month and a half to buy/craft ? It won’t be a LB, nor GS, nor Axe/torch nor anything else.
= the ranger template I used is now unplayable due to this fix, thanks Arena.net.

Adding this from the official wiki ranger’s page – weapon’s part (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ranger) :

Shortbow — Quick skirmishing weapon relying on movement, positioning and conditions for quick kills.

With that nerf/glitch fix, i think there’s somrthing to add at the end of this line : ’but not fun".

Playing a character that shoot as fast as a 70 years old depressive is not fun.

(edited by DooSan.8527)

in Ranger

Posted by: Jos.8793

Jos.8793

Same here (so I apologize in advance) but i would also like to give my 0.02$ about the shortbow update :

The modification made to skill 1 casting time decreased our overall damage but i felt like i could get over it until i used QZ and discovered how useless it had become.

The thing is that shortbow and QZ was one of our only option to create a burst damage which ranger is basically lacking (except rapid fire but …).

People are complaining about the shortbow nerf because, as it has been said many time, it’s our only viable weapon for pvp. For example, I would love to use longbow as a primary weapon, i find that skills are well thought for a range weapon, however :

- firing rate is slow as hell
- skill 1 damage is a joke : it should be a correct damage which increase with range instead of a correct damage which (greatly) decrease with range
- arrows spend so much time in the air that 80% of them are easily avoidable in pvp.

The same goes for all other weapons…and pet AI

The problem is not only the nerf, it’s being nerf without any other modifications when so much things seems to be already broken/wrong with the ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vashtion.6307

Vashtion.6307

I’m still continuing to play a Ranger as I personally love the class. I felt Ranger with a SB pre nerf was at least a viable build though. Now i’m seeing the effects of the “fix” in both pve and pvp. I would definitely prefer for the SB to go back to the way it was. Though I really don’t see how buffing the other skills would help out Ranger dps at all, unless the other skills themselves were changed completely.

I’m not here to complain, I just don’t understand why Anet would nerf a class that was pretty much just “okay” to begin with. Yet Thieves are still a nuisance and Warriors have been left pretty much untouched.

in Ranger

Posted by: Brannoncyll.1978

Brannoncyll.1978

Can’t say I’m impressed by how this has been handled. I find it utterly unconvincing that ANet somehow overlooked the fact that reducing the fire rate on a weapon equates to a damage nerf. And then rather than apologising we get an unrepentant response basically telling us ‘tough luck’.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vorkk.4927

Vorkk.4927

Can we at least get a ’’We’re looking into it’’? Trust me. You’re not promising anything that way so you can’t get caught in the ‘’well you told us that..’’ but you’re going to be getting a lot less hate if you tell us that you’ve noticed issues. Just some friendly advice from someone who is a therapist and understands human nature. It’s the smart thing to do. Waiting until you’re sure as per your Anet’s motto is a bit laughable as tons of things are broken. Appeasing people will make them happy and it will not make them go away but you will get a lot less hate.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deep Star.6541

Deep Star.6541

Exactly. Can we have atleast a proper response? Since asking for a fix might be to much trouble, can we get atleast a proper feedback telling us wether it was indeed a nerf that was not mentioned on patch notes, that it was intentional or not, that the effect on QZ was intentional or not, that it will be changed or something ?

Riviére, Select Start, Cmnd Ctrl, Uninteresting Event @ Three Steps Ahead [Oz]

in Ranger

Vorkk.4927

Pedrst: For the nerf, it was INTENTIONAL. They had to admit to it after they were caught lying to us saying it was just an animation fix. JonPeters made ONE message on this thread saying that the nerf was INTENTIONAL because we…Use autoattack too much and this wasn’t ’’fun’’.

in Ranger

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

If you nerf Crossfire because its the strongest spammable skill that is always used over the others, tell me why it is good to mash other abilities on the short bow on CD to deal damage instead of using it to dodge an aoe, stop a channel cast, or cripple chasing/fleeing targets.

Telling us the change was because we use 1 too often and the rest of our abilities not enough, when 1 is out AUTO ATTACK and the rest are all Control/Survivability skill, is like saying you are going to take away our car because we don’t use the other forms of transportation enough.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Exactly. Can we have atleast a proper response? Since asking for a fix might be to much trouble, can we get atleast a proper feedback telling us wether it was indeed a nerf that was not mentioned on patch notes, that it was intentional or not, that the effect on QZ was intentional or not, that it will be changed or something ?

It’s very evident that they’re not playing their own game No surprise there, seen that before in other devs.

I think they probably have some kind of algorithm and they’re looking at some numbers from that to determine the DPS per minute of certain classes and that’s why the SB got flagged because it’s consistently pumping out steady numbers very quickly.

But DPS is not a good measurement when looked at in isolation. I played L2 for years and there were 3 archer races in that game: Dark Elf, Light Elf, Human. Dark Elf hits the hardest but fires the slowest but can literally 2 shot someone; Light Elf hits the weakest but fires the fastest and actually has the best DPS because of how fast and constantly they’d crit, even if the crits were like bug bites. Humans were in between.

And guess what? The same thing happened, Light Elf got the nerf bat and no one really plays it for PVP while the Dark Elf is still the archer of choice after close to 8 years because PVP is all about spike damage. Delivering a 9k hit in a single payload is always superior to hitting for 9k from 10 or 15 arrows since you can’t out heal or out pot a spike. We got the same thing now in this game. Killshot for 11k or Backstab for 15k? That’s fine under the radar because you can’t do it constantly. But pumping out consistent numbers for too long and boost your DPS per minute that’s overrated outside of PVE? Nerf longbow and short bow! Overpowered!

Of course, this kind of balance makes sense if you just drink the koolaid and if you just trust your algo and don’t even play the game…

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyler.6182

Tyler.6182

i want my shortbow back =( im playing a lot lesss since this nerf and i dont want to play a different class

in Ranger

Posted by: KLC.6304

KLC.6304

Hi community,
First time posting and want to express my 2cents (Imo).
Ive read every post here, Im a ranger for the first time in a mmo. lol only ever played one other mmo, a knight. Was used to the format tank dps healer. Thought here I could be free to play without number crunching or being denied grouping because I wasnt all that I could be. Not true now I guess. We are funny humans, not wanting to be left out of the party.
Im working towards a build of 10/25/30/0/5. almost there. With sigals of earth on short bow, I should say now of course Im using my long bow. with axe/horn. I try to read about builds, use other sites etc..
Im at a loss now because Im almost to lvl 70. Havent invested in gear yet but have some nice cultural pieces. Ive even purchased some gems in game. Was having a blast with this ranger build till the nerf.
I keep dying. battles take to long. forget mobs, just run. I utilize my skills; traps, buffs etc. not the best where some play PvP but I know my way around PVE.
I have to say the Dev’s need to work with us to fix this problem now. My eye’s are getting tired reading, trying to figure out how to build my ranger now.
The game is supposed to be accessible by all classes. But its not. If my class cant use a bow to deliver appropriate damage, cant have speed with med. armor and have no supporting pets that last longer….. Im at a loss.
I would appreciate an official answer. Is there change coming or not. If not I can move on. If there is then I can prepare a build knowing my resourses wont be wasted.
sorry for the length in text.

in Ranger

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

ArenaNet nerfed us to try and deal with the bots. In the end it’s the honest people like all of us who get the shaft, and ArenaNet could care less.

Ranger Bots = Ranger Nerf

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102584229

in Ranger

Posted by: xLiveLucidx.5071

xLiveLucidx.5071

How big does this thread have to get before a Dev sees it and says to him/herself, “Uh oh…there are a lot of discontent customers in here?”

Moderators have acknowledged the thread and have even merged and redirected posts to it, so what are they waiting for?

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD.
Thank you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Thyya.1307

Thyya.1307

How big does this thread have to get before a Dev sees it and says to him/herself, “Uh oh…there are a lot of discontent customers in here?”

Moderators have acknowledged the thread and have even merged and redirected posts to it, so what are they waiting for?

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD.
Thank you.

I’m pretty sure they realize what’s going on, judging by the magnitude of interests on the thread. They’re NOT waiting to do anything. What can a bunch of pisssed ants do.

in Ranger

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

Since the nerf I’ve pretty much lost all interest in my ranger. I wanted to love the class.

Pets are too unpredictable, missing attacks too often, moving too slowly, and dying too easily.
Longbow was nerfed too much to make it viable and gets [obstructed] against moving targets.
Spirits are terrible, and (other than elite) give us the worst support in the game.
Our signets are appalling requiring 30 trait points to make them affect ourselves, with less benefits than other professions.

The list goes on, and on – but this latest shortbow change was the straw that broke the ranger’s back. Not only was it not needed (as longbow needed a buff instead), but it was so poorly orchestrated that the whole ordeal has tarnished Arenanet’s name. It’s just downright insulting and offensive that they claimed it was an animation fix, and then have given such poor communication about the bugs and obvious side effects on the profession’s viability after this change.

I’ve tried a ranged thief, and warrior, and they both do ranged damage better, but are no more fun that my inept ranger. I’m afraid this will be the end of my short lived GW2 adventure, and it makes me sad.

(edited by Strongfort.2451)

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackRabbit.1259

BlackRabbit.1259

agree this needs to be stickied. It has more replys and more views than any other of the “serious” issues; Inivisible enemies, nightcapping, everything.

And the irony is, this is totally self inflicted, and based on a so called “animation glitch” that none of your 200k (or so) actual rangers who play this game ever saw.

ANet. PLEASE respond to the QZ BUG issue, Fixing that or at least proving the math and telling us how its meant to be is the very least you can do for your community at this point.

You have a lot of very smart adults trying to help here, dont treat us like kittens..

in Ranger

Posted by: GRNTiger.8103

GRNTiger.8103

I’ll just support this thread as well, the SB nerf is stupid. PVP with ranger is still fun, but I wonder how much of a bigger impact it would have had; so many survived with literally no health.

in Ranger

Vorkk.4927

I agree. They didn’t respond. They don’t care. If we all leave, they may well just be happy as it’s going to be less people clogging up the servers. Then they can just eliminate the ranger class all-together.

in Ranger

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

@ Vorkk
I highly doubt that they “don’t care”. If there are more unhappy people talking about a bad game, then that far outweighs the praises and accolades this game will get. And in turn, there won’t be a high influx of new players.

Anet does care, but for numerous reasons, they aren’t able to handle things that can balance the game in an appropriate time.

The sb speed reduction is a bit of a pain but my goodness, you guys are making it seem like the apocalypse just happened. The ranger does need a bit of work still, but it can still handle things quite well.

I don’t want Anet to make any rash decisions but at the same time I hope they come out with something soon because there are a lot of people who will spread bad news about GW2 out of spite.

in Ranger

Posted by: Expansive.3716

Expansive.3716

And a bit off topic, but try visiting the elementalist forum and there is where you’ll find some legit cries about low damage output

The engineer class needs a bit of help too

in Ranger

Posted by: SlappedYak.7489

SlappedYak.7489

The reason I am getting so angry is NOT the nerf itself it is the fact Anet didn’t have the decency to call it a nerf. I have never noticed the “animation glitch” this was supposed to fix…I have yet to see a single post where people said “oh actually there was a glitch” (Ive noticed model freezes with sword attack animation before but not shortbow!) If this was an animation fix they would’ve balanced the numbers, reducing the attack time but increasing the damage by the same fraction.

Later developer comments have told us that the real reason was to “stop people spamming 1” – several issues: a) 1 skill is spammed in most professions because of the cool down mechanic b) the REASON people spammed 1 on shortbow is because it wasn’t viable as a damage weapon otherwise, and even as a condition weapon the mediocre poison volley, the frustrating quick shot…I mean the daze and stun was good but really people played SB for the QZ pew pew and bleed stacks. c) Quickening Zephyr is meant to reduce the cast time by half – it CLEARLY does not do this after the 40ms increase. I don’t know if that truly is a glitch, but by the sounds of it it was on purpose as another nerf.

This is about the feeling of being lied to from a development team that I have a great deal of respect for in the way they are generally shining examples of communication. I think people would be able to accept this and move on if a) QZ was fixed with shortbow (is it really the case that Anet wanted SB casting to be always 40ms and cannot be modified by attack speed boosts??) b) if they just had the brass nuts to say “Yes, we admit it, this is a nerf”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Expansive.3716

The engineer class needs a bit of help too

I am so fed up of this lie. Engineers can put out insane amounts of aoe DPS. They can put out more DPS in an area then some classes can on a single target, rangers didn’t even know numbers went that high. Grenades and bomb kit are stupidly OP and they can have perma swiftness with a tiny trait investment and all Engineers do is complain that they need more buffs.

Also Ranger DPS is less then Ele and at least Ele still has some support builds to be useful in WvWvW and dungeons, Ranger has literally nothing going for it now. The shortbow nerf even took away its ability to do projectile finishers well, not that that was a particularly note worthy thing in the first place.

in Ranger

Posted by: Drok Kindleshot.1496

Drok Kindleshot.1496

To Anet:

First I don’t appreciate the sneakery involved in this SB nerf by first stating that it was a
animation glitch then a dev coming out and saying that it was a way for us to use all of our abilities …..I can tell you that I use all my abilities 1-4 respectively.

I only have 1 char that’s just me..I like focusing on one, building him up and making him the best char I can possibly make in Guild wars. In GW1 I was only a ranger, always will be a ranger there is no other profession that I love more than the ranger.

Because you guys are focusing on nerfing the ranger it can only conclude to two things.

1. You are not listening to your community because we have more important issues than the SB and it’s abilities like our PETS which are severely broken.
2. Don’t cater to only your PVP crowd because that’s probably where this nerf came from.

I will stop buying gems from the Gemstore until this SB nerf is reversed luckily I already bought some so I have enough for the halloween events, this nerf won’t stop me from playing GW2 I have played everyday since it came out but if you keep breaking the ranger it will cause me to lose interest and put the game down. I am probably just one out of a million people playing this game but I am not the ONLY ranger that feels this way just look at this thread.

If you are looking for some constructive criticisim then here it is…..
ASK us, yes ASK us before you nerf stuff…your not the ones playing the class we are. There is already a lot of posts on this subject….open up a test server…Is that really so hard? You guys have a track history of nerfing left and right then suffering reprecussions to your nerfs then backtracking…you guys could avoid all this negativity if you just communicate with your players….I am severly disappointed in this department you guys need a moderator in here moderating and relaying information and if it’s happening I don’t see it….communication is the key.

in Ranger

Drok Kindleshot.1496

Since the nerf I’ve pretty much lost all interest in my ranger. I wanted to love the class.
Pets are too unpredictable, missing attacks too often, moving too slowly, and dying too easily.
Longbow was nerfed too much to make it viable and gets [obstructed] against moving targets.
Spirits are terrible, and (other than elite) give us the worst support in the game.
Our signets are appalling requiring 30 trait points to make them affect ourselves, with less benefits than other professions.
The list goes on, and on – but this latest shortbow change was the straw that broke the ranger’s back. Not only was it not needed (as longbow needed a buff instead), but it was so poorly orchestrated that the whole ordeal has tarnished Arenanet’s name. It’s just downright insulting and offensive that they claimed it was an animation fix, and then have given such poor communication about the bugs and obvious side effects on the profession’s viability after this change.
I’ve tried a ranged thief, and warrior, and they both do ranged damage better, but are no more fun that my inept ranger. I’m afraid this will be the end of my short lived GW2 adventure, and it makes me sad.

Nothing against this poster, but this is how I am going to be feeling soon if this isn’t reversed…..also thank you for reminding me…

SPIRITS are useless and a distraction on the battlefield the way they flail everywhere that was not a very good design….I’ve been playing dungeons for 2 weeks..only once out of many many teams did I see one ranger with spirits that tells me that they are not a viable option in the game…..fix spirits, fix pets..instead of nerfing us….

in Ranger

Posted by: kevin.8026

kevin.8026

This game is like every other game you do your story then your bored with it, you can keep running Arah but whats the point,your bored with it, so you turn to pvp, WvW use to be fun as a Ranger you could actually stand ground 1v1,even 2v1 but with the nerf to ranger I hardly play anymore, you get rolled if you go as ranger in WvW, hide on a wall and se seige let everyone else fight, this nerf makes you want to use different weapons but it doesn’t help,reroll but who wants to start over, the nerf was harsh but they dont care, go play Pandaria, or get swept up in the Halloween stuff, ranger was fun for awhile,but apparently they don’t care, Im embarassed to pvp as a ranger now, it’s not like we owned everything before we needed buffs, but like all games it’s not happening.

in Ranger

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

So after ignoring the ranger forum for some days (it was too depressing to read) and having just read the latest posts, from official replies to player replies: seemingly none of the people managing class balance EVEN play as a ranger. JonPeters apparently plays a warrior mainly and manages class balance too (comment withheld.) Anyway, it is THEIR game so they can run it down into the ground all like as far as I am concerned. If they wish to continue to make warrior into a god-like class then that is their choice also.

Passing thought, after having lavished much time and effort into making my ranger good I feel, or should I say felt a great concern when seeing how the staff were wrecking the class ball and chain style. In the long run though, the people managing class balance answer to people above. So if their actions are not professional and are driving customers away then they will no doubt run into trouble from above.

P.S.: I agree completely with MrLee’s post.

in Ranger

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

If I want my “ranger” fix now I hop on my Warrior and swap to rifle + longbow, it’s really fun and I just pretend I’m a heavily armored petless Ranger!
Give it a try, it’s a good alternative to play until the Ranger class is fixed.

in Ranger

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Please can we get an answer from a DEV about the status of the class?
At this moment this post is reaching so many views and so many posts that is incredible that everyone is talking about it in-game, feels really harsh that we got no answer except to tell us it was working properly when it was not.
Also all the problem that this class has (Pets, Spirits, Traits, Damage on weapons, etc…)

Hopefully we got an answer soon, this is giving a really bad image for Arenanet, and giving me a really bad taste in my mouth everyday I log to check what’s going on.

in Ranger

Posted by: Anders.6425

Anders.6425

Is this thread gonna hit 1,000 replies before we got another developer reply?

This is the largest thread on this entire GW2 message board.

in Ranger

kevin.8026

Im not playing ranger till something is done, playing lineage 2, also free game, were my ranger does damage.

in Ranger

Drok Kindleshot.1496

I dont know what warrants a reply for the devs but I would say the amount of time and attention to this nerf requires a respond from the devs if not today tomorrow…speculation, rejection, and playing ignoring players is not the way you want to go Anet. you might say that we are just players and it’s your game but I feel that the 60 dollars plus all the gems that I’ve bought has been an investment on my part in your game and if that’s not enough 71k+ posts should also be. If this was your way to deny bots a way to tag enemies to receive loot then this shows you do not know how to manage your game as all you gotta do is ban these players forever.

If you guys just send down a GM to pentinent path he can right click on the bots and send them to the abyss that’s the easy way. Your EULA gives you the right to use it, what’s the point in having these rules in place if you guys don’t enforce it…once again punishing the legit players of the game like myself.

in Ranger

kevin.8026

My biggest complaint about ranger before this nerf was my pet sucked no damage,died to fast, now my pet sucks and Ranger a class suppose to be deadly with bows sucks, auto attack with either longbow or short sucks,longbow has one good skill, shortbow has none now with this change,what are we suppose to do stun and run away, I’ve never seen a ranger use a torch, or a warhorn, they may be good and you may be good with them but thats not a ranger, and the only thing I’ve seen with an axe is snow white and the huntsman, a ranger uses bows and traps and neither of our bows does anything, so lets trap -stun and run away.

in Ranger

Posted by: apeik.7391

apeik.7391

I know this whole issue has been beaten to death with not much in the way of closure. But i would be happy if they would just do a side by side test of rangers/thiefs/warriors damage…on a moving target with our SB and LB vs. anything the other two classes can do. Just my 2c. Goodluck.

in Ranger

Posted by: Speno.1874

Speno.1874

Lets face it. I am almost 110% sure this was done for the botting issues. So instead of taking care of the bots. We are punished for a easy bandaid fix.

“Red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night.”
Leader of Steadfast
Current Boris Pass , Formerly pre launch HOD

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Lets face it. I am almost 110% sure this was done for the botting issues. So instead of taking care of the bots. We are punished for a easy bandaid fix.

You are probably right, the problem is ofcourse that bots are using Rangers for pets + Search and Rescue and using shortbow because Ranger had nothing else.

in Ranger

kevin.8026

Im done arguing , ranger right now is a dead class , it’s the only class I liked , until something is done , Im done we can kitten and moan all we want but apparently they aren’t reading or if they are they don’t care , wish I’d of spent my money on WoW

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

If it is TRUE that we need to hit 1000 replies to get Dev to reply us again, let’s do it, at least we are trying to make game better, we are helping them.
The fact is —ranger (SB) is never OP before nerf;
The fact is -- it is a hard nerf but not a simple animation fix;
The fact is — this unbalanced nerf already make almost whole ranger community unhappy;
But well, the fact is also — we spend $60 and bought the game;
and the fact is — it’s Anet’s game, not ours, we are just playing this game;
But remeber, the fact will be — if Anet just keep ignore customer’s feedback and feeling, there will be no more reputation in the future.
So the fact is — this round, Anet, you win, next round, you will lose, I will just simply avoid any product from Anet, that’s it, which I am sure others will do too.

in Ranger

kevin.8026

the guy you guys say plays a warrior must have got face rolled by a ranger using a shortbow

in Ranger

Posted by: VaticanIscariot.1732

VaticanIscariot.1732

I usually use Long Bow ever since I got the tokens to buy it from a dungeon. I havnt really used my alternate weapon (some blue short bow). My shortbow has been collecting dust for like 2+ weeks now.

It sounds like you guys are kitten

in Ranger

Posted by: Chosen.8207

Chosen.8207

Oh how the train rolls. Dev’s start playing with abilities of characters in an attempt to balance out classes. If this was a mechanism to reduce botting then Anet you should have sorted out botting. Or don’t you actually understand that bots these days don’t just press one button. They run around very similar to normal players However if you didnt fall out of the intelligence tree early on there easy to spot. Repetition is the key word.

As for the ranger nerf, good job taking the one class which was balanced and destroying the only ability which actually does a reasonable amount of damage. You won’t roll back the fix Developers never do. You sit in you’re ivory tower and think you know best reading of data from a report generated by brain dead analysts. You fail to consider the implications of your actions and then in the months to come when players start dropping off you blame someone else in the team for lack of content rather than the crappy changes your team made against classes in the game.

Just take a look at the history of other MMO’s when classes are bumped up, bumped down, bumped up, bumped down….

in Ranger

Posted by: Dseaver.8740

Dseaver.8740

Took a couple of days to get debugging in on this. It is in fact a 40ms difference which equates to about 7% less damage when spamming 1. We made this change because it was creating some animation bugs to leave it where it was. It was also encouraging just spamming 1 which isn’t the most fun gameplay. If our data shows shortly that shortbow is now not effective we can certainly address that, but would do so by improving other skills on that weapon rather than by reintroducing the spam on 1 and the bugs that it was creating.

Please… you have to realize some people like me love spamming 1 which is the most fun game play for me….

If you could stop defining what is fun and what is not fun, I would be very grateful.

You did not improve any other skills to compensate for this huge nerf and we know you will not improve any other skills without serious amount of testing, which can take a few months.

You guys messed up a crucial mechanism while trying to fix a minor graphical glitch no one even knew about.

If you just “Undo” this short bow nerf, everyone would be happy. It’s a complete WIN- WIN situation. You guys really do not need to fix something that is not broken.

Devs, you can be honest and just tell us that you guys used the graphical glitch as an excuse to implement this huge short bow nerf.

in Ranger

Posted by: Yazmat.2785

Yazmat.2785

Honestly im getting used to the changes but my hopes are still there that someday they will buff the ranger like change the shortbow skills instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

I’ve also already re-rolled my full exotic ranger to guardian since this nerf came about
the impact is just too much for condition damage build

so far i’m using my ranger only for wvw as I haven’t finished gearing up the guardian

it’s fine for the dev to nerf it, it’s their right, but kindly be honest about it and not use animation issue as an excuse.. nerfing it also impacts many things and not just a simple 1 skill nerf..
if you don’t have any plan to fix this, then kindly refrain from making the same mistake and test the impact of the said nerf to other skills/builds in the future before deployed