Ranger Stealth?

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Taruvoyant.4318

Taruvoyant.4318

Quick question… How are rangers stealthing in WvW?

Yesterday, I fought two different rangers (both using great sword and short bow, wolf and jaguar/lynx). They were solo with no chance of anyone else being around. They were continuously stealthing. Disappear and, two seconds later, reappear in another location. There was absolutely no lag. I get 40+ FPS in WvW.

After I killed one of the rangers, he waypointed and came back to fight me about 10 more times (I was tucked away outside of his waypoint keep). This particular ranger was also able to teleport and use more than one knockdown while in the downed state.

I’m a ranger main and have no clue how this would even be possible under these circumstances. Am I completely missing something?

80 Human Ranger
Crystal Desert
Rough Trade [RTGC]

(edited by Taruvoyant.4318)

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: kesuh.3891

kesuh.3891

Well we have a trait that gives us stealth if
Hide in Plain Sight-> Applies camouflage when you are dazed, knocked down, launched, pushed back, or stunned. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 30 seconds.
3 Seconds of stealth.

But perhaps.. when i get back from my study i will try something with the jaguar now that you mention they use it.
The wolf got the knock down skill and it usually work right away when you change to wolf-> Brutal Charge Leap at your foe and knock them down.
Or else the whole thing sounds very mysterious

[keen] Far Shiverpeaks Eu-server
Sorel→~Saga/Ranger~Shadow/Guardian~Balthazor/Warrior

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bob.8456

Bob.8456

Unless the Jaguar was buffed if shouldn’t be giving the Ranger stealth…although now that I have thought about it, this needs to be implemented! Stealth isn’t a boon so he can’t be traited to share it with his pet. I also think the knockdowns are just a result of his mastery of his pets, you can still control them just as you would normally while in downed state, you just cannot see your UI. Changing to wolf while downed will have recharged all his skills and the AI isn’t as dumb as most think, if someone is trying to finish you he will knock them down first thing. Just like in GW1, the AI is proficient at interrupting targets, you just have to make sure the pet is in the correct position to do so.

As for stealth in WvW, I personally have begun using Snow Leopard form on my Norn Ranger as a way of getting out of trouble when I am running around alone. Just hit the stealth, then hold down the charge skill and by the time stealth ends I am off the radar.

(edited by Bob.8456)

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

There’s a Rune that gives stealth for 3 seconds when your health drops below 10%. I think it’s precision based, which would explain why a crit ranger would use it.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lelouch.8452

Lelouch.8452

Quick question… How are rangers stealthing in WvW?

Yesterday, I fought two different rangers (both using great sword and short bow, wolf and jaguar/lynx). They were solo with no chance of anyone else being around. They were continuously stealthing. Disappear and, two seconds later, reappear in another location. There was absolutely no lag. I get 40+ FPS in WvW.

After I killed one of the rangers, he waypointed and came back to fight me about 10 more times (I was tucked away outside of his waypoint keep). This particular ranger was also able to teleport and use more than one knockdown while in the downed state.

I’m a ranger main and have no clue how this would even be possible under these circumstances. Am I completely missing something?

next time, report them as hackers. that is a hack that has been running for quite a while now in WvW. bc its such a huge place, people use fly, teleport and speed hacks to get to places faster.

as for the stealth, rangers only gain 2-3 seconds stealth every 30 seconds. not possible to do it more freq than that. as for the Rune of Infiltration, it has a 90 seconds cooldown. think in that time frame.

Best Looking Ranger in NA :D
http://www.twitch.tv/midori_ryuuk

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Taruvoyant.4318

Taruvoyant.4318

I’m quite familiar with the wolf’s knowckdown, but he was using multiple knockdowns while in the downed state. He only had one wolf, so he could only have completed one knockdown. He was also able to teleport.

Also, the stealth was much more often than 30 or 90 seconds. He was stealthing at will.

I use all of those tactics as well, so I am familiar with them. That’s why I’m so perplexed by this.

80 Human Ranger
Crystal Desert
Rough Trade [RTGC]

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

There are various ways a ranger can stealth: Hide in Plain sight, Rune of Inflitration, Smoke combo fields, AoE stealth from another profession (maybe his buddy was stealthed and you missed him?), one of the foraged items (feathers I think)… plus culling I think there’s also a Norn racial skill that lets you cloak, but I’m not sure about that.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.5471

Wanderer.5471

the only smoke combo fields ranger can create are underwater though. he could at most be stealthing every 20 seconds, on his own, and that’s assuming he’s lucky as it’s not a sure thing (2/3 chance) that he gets a stealth item from forage too. But in a fight it could be much more with the rune and hide in plain sight, but i think both are on a long cd so if he stealthed more than 5 times in a row he must be cheating. as for the multiple knockdowns, it can’t happen. i can interrupt 4 times on a good day: lightning, switch to wolf which leaps, wolf fear, lightning is off cd, but as you can see that is only one knockdown…

Good on you for beating them even once when they were cheating, they should be embarrassed.

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I’ve never come across this type of cheating myself, or at least not noticed it. For me the most logical explanation is that the ranger was not alone, and his buddy was throwing down AoE stealth or smoke fields while either cloaked or culled. I agree that a Ranger on his own can’t pull off that kind of stealth.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

As for as I know there are 3 was rangers can stealth. The first two are from the siamon pet. the last is a trait.

Blinding Tuft

Throw Feathers
Throw a handful of feathers to blind nearby foes. Stealth yourself.
Blind: 3 s Stealth: 3 s Range: 120

Hide in Plain Sight
Applies camouflage when dazed, knocked down, launched, pushed back, or stunned. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 30 second The stealth effect lasts for 3 seconds.

Wolfs have two kd affects

If This was also prior to the update on the 28th he could stealth with his pet almost every 20 seconds. If he did get the glob of plasma item.

It is possible they didnt cheat.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Wanderer.5471

There are various ways a ranger can stealth: Hide in Plain sight, Rune of Inflitration, Smoke combo fields, AoE stealth from another profession (maybe his buddy was stealthed and you missed him?), one of the foraged items (feathers I think)… plus culling I think there’s also a Norn racial skill that lets you cloak, but I’m not sure about that.

remembered this thread for some reason and thought i’d add that i misspoke before; in world vs world rangers might also be able to stealth from the smoke bombs you can get from environmental weapons bought from npcs unless i’m mistaken? I seem to remember some npc sold them near the sylvari starting zone…

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

remembered this thread for some reason and thought i’d add that i misspoke before; in world vs world rangers might also be able to stealth from the smoke bombs you can get from environmental weapons bought from npcs unless i’m mistaken? I seem to remember some npc sold them near the sylvari starting zone…

Most of the items like this are not useable in wvw.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Wanderer.5471

Most of the items like this are not useable in wvw.

oh ok, never mind then, i don’t play WvW but i knew consumables were allowed so thought this stuff might be too.

Ranger Stealth?

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Did runes of infiltration get fixed yet? I remember their CD was wacky for a good btw was the server you’re playing against JQ? Because they’re notorious for exploits and hacks….

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna