Ranger: Sword dagger or Sword torch

in Ranger

Posted by: Talizorah.6317

Talizorah.6317

I hit 80 a while ago with my ranger and found that I like the damage of the sword and torch combo, I want to start doing some more dungeons so I’m going to buy some exotic weapons but I was wondering if sword and dagger has more dps. I want dispatch my target quickly and it looked like the sword and dagger would be more effective for that.

Edit: I run with a short bow as my other and focus on power/precision/condition

(edited by Talizorah.6317)

in Ranger

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

You would get better responses posting this in the ranger forums not the general discussion.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Kreegan.8123

Lord Kreegan.8123

My ranger is my main; I generally prefer sword and torch over all other weapons (longbow for ranged engagements) because the combination seems to do much, much, much more damage (because of burning damage) than any other combination.

However, that’s only true if there are no cliffs in the vicinity of the fight, no ramps, no bridges, no edges, no jumps, etc. …because the ranger with a sword (because of the absolutely sheer stupidity of ANet’s design for the weapon) with “1” set as auto-attack loves to run off heights to his death…

Axe and torch are another good combination… many fewer suicides. The only problem is that the thrown axe tends to pull in extra mobs.

in Ranger

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

Sword/dagger would be more for control and evasion than damage, something that has more of a use in sPvP than dungeons. If you’re at all statted for condition damage, I’d go torch all the way. If you want to be more of a team player in dungeons, I’d go warhorn for the #5 boon that everyone nearby can benefit from.

As much as I like the sword, though, what Lord Kreegan said about #1 having the potential to send you kicking and screaming off ledges and cliffs keeps me from bringing it most of the time. You can mitigate that potential by setting the attacks to manual and timing them so that you don’t leap at something that’s no longer there (i.e. killed before your attack connects), but ehh… there’s just still too much of a liability there for me to feel like it’s worth it. YMMV.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Sword/Torch if you’re condition based and use shortbow/GS as your other weapon

Sword/Dagger if you use Axe/Torch as your other weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in Ranger

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

My ranger is my main; I generally prefer sword and torch over all other weapons (longbow for ranged engagements) because the combination seems to do much, much, much more damage (because of burning damage) than any other combination.

However, that’s only true if there are no cliffs in the vicinity of the fight, no ramps, no bridges, no edges, no jumps, etc. …because the ranger with a sword (because of the absolutely sheer stupidity of ANet’s design for the weapon) with “1” set as auto-attack loves to run off heights to his death…

Axe and torch are another good combination… many fewer suicides. The only problem is that the thrown axe tends to pull in extra mobs.

I find Axe/Dagger to be better than Axe/Torch. The melee stab/evade lines you up for a perfect 5 hit Splitblade and the thrown dagger provides a nice bleed and cripple.

in Ranger

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

I run Sword/Axe. The sword is pure dps so it works well with Knight gear (hope you have a toughness set if planning to melee). Only thing Torch does is save you a utility skill slot but overall I would use Flame trap to replace the torch’s fire field but fire and sword combo isnt that great IMO. Sword 2 gives Aura which is decent, and if using Axe, Axe 5 gives the whirlwind combo which is decent also. Frost Trap is awesome for such, and healing Spring for the Sword leap and Axe whirlwind.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.3754

Dante.3754

I like sword torch in condition builds because torch 4 just does so much burning damage on such a low cooldown. All dagger really offers is one more evade in addition to the sword’s two so it really isn’t worth much unless you really don’t want torch damage. In fact, burning still hits like a truck at low condition damage so even as a power build torch is still viable. Basically damage vs defense