Ranger balance: buff -> QQ -> nerf?

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

You’re right, but it happens.

Staff Eles can kite Warriors and Thieves for days and days while still being able to maintain their offensive capabilities the group relies on. D/D Eles can sustain and provide tons of AE pressure. Thieves are highly mobile and do high burst when they finally create an oppenening. Warriors can tie up Thieves like no one’s business. You’d expect the Ranger to fit into this group of periphery classes because it has a 1500 range advantage, but it simply doesn’t. The burst damage is low, the sustain damage is single target, the ability to escape a group is difficult (and it shuts down your offensive capability for 10 seconds), etc.

Class just isn’t built to support organized PvP as a power build imo. Especially not in WvW where you can’t rely on a terrain advantage to be available 90% of the time.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

That’s from July 30th…. 2 weeks ago. Are you guys even reading the same page???
I swear everytime I come here, it’s like talking to people who only play Ranger in their imaginations and couldn’t even begin to understand why the vast majority of players quit playing it in the first place….

Don’t get me wrong… those are some cute little buffs I guess, Sic’em & the might-stacking especially. But it’s not the same thing. It’s not a new segment and it did not focus on “base functionality and responsiveness.”. IE: stuff affecting the mainhand sword

There’s 8 professions, so its unlikely that Ranger will get the spotlight again until the next balance….feature….expansion…..bloat…..patch…whatever anet calls it now. And if the sword was going to change, they probably would have said something about it 2 weeks ago. That’s why people brought up the previous stream where Rangers were featured.

The only way we’ll see rangers featured again before september 9th is if the feature pack has some new skills, weapons, pets….anything for the Ranger, and considering Anet’s record of adding new stuff to the game, not likely to happen.

Ah well there ya go, there’s an answer that finally makes sense. Thank you.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

in WvW you can gain terrain advantage all you want. It is also much easier to play ranger there then PvP. Sure, less LoS to abuse, but much better terrain advantages.

It is more open, so while thieves can see you better, you can see them. Their teleports only carry them 1200 units, if you know how to play a thief with sword mainhand/shadowstep then you know how to counter them. For once, roll a thief and stop moaning about them. They are almost 85% L2P and 15% skill. Those remaining 15% are usually darn good players and would have rekt you in a naked bearbow ranger. So no, don’t think you can beat a well played thief 1v1 , almost noone can and that is the point.

It should also be noted that if a warrior players perifery then for the love of god, get it back into the zerg. Warrior in whatever build, no matter how specced for dueling it may seem, has no place in any 1v1 scene. I play a 1v1 build warrior, i know how to play this build, i know how to be efficient and i also happen to know that when my stun, block, shout heals and stability is spent, if the enemy knows how to apply pressure they will kill me. This is how warriors work. They can prolong their death by 20 seconds at best, but unless you have the nicest commander in the world, nobody gonna be sure to care to help you that far out in the periphery. That is how it is. If you get help out on the periphery it is because some player was nice or wanted to kill whoever was killing you for free bags, not because “skill group play”. This goes for the ranger too (obviously you knew that nobody would help the ranger, god forbid the ranger having mates to help it. Same argument you put out each time, what if there is 2x vs ranger, and the way you word it, it seems like the ranger is a one man zerg with zero allies).

Then you gotta look at it from this point. How much health does a thief have if running burst? 10-14k is the most reasonable amount.
How much damage does glassbow do in WvW? upwards of 4k AA against such thief, that is a fact.
How many shots do you fire before the thief is in shadowstep range? 2-3 depending on him dodging or 2x porting (2 CD’s) to reach you.
How much damage is that? potentially if all max out – a dead thief if you include air fire proc….

That is reality. That is how it works VS thief. YOU LAND THE FIRST SHOT and you win. It is not a question of IF you win. You will with high chance WIN:

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I have a Thief… probably a toss up between it and warrior for whichever has more hours played. Wish it were my Ranger, but sadly not.

But yea, 17k hp in full valk and zerk trinkets is about average. Maybe closer to 16k. Can’t recall off hand. 4k autos are also a pipe dream I’m afraid. They’re the exception, not the rule. Just like the 1200 engage. Can clear a football field with steal, inf strike, and shadow step! Could also just swap in reach and also beat out longbow range. But usually in GvGs they’ll burn a mass invis or blast a field to cap stealth so they’ll still get the engage advantage.

I really do wish it was as easy as you make it out to be in a real group setting but it’s not. If it were, the class wouldn’t have the stigma it has.

in Ranger

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

in WvW you can gain terrain advantage all you want. It is also much easier to play ranger there then PvP. Sure, less LoS to abuse, but much better terrain advantages.

It is more open, so while thieves can see you better, you can see them. Their teleports only carry them 1200 units, if you know how to play a thief with sword mainhand/shadowstep then you know how to counter them. For once, roll a thief and stop moaning about them. They are almost 85% L2P and 15% skill. Those remaining 15% are usually darn good players and would have rekt you in a naked bearbow ranger. So no, don’t think you can beat a well played thief 1v1 , almost noone can and that is the point.

It should also be noted that if a warrior players perifery then for the love of god, get it back into the zerg. Warrior in whatever build, no matter how specced for dueling it may seem, has no place in any 1v1 scene. I play a 1v1 build warrior, i know how to play this build, i know how to be efficient and i also happen to know that when my stun, block, shout heals and stability is spent, if the enemy knows how to apply pressure they will kill me. This is how warriors work. They can prolong their death by 20 seconds at best, but unless you have the nicest commander in the world, nobody gonna be sure to care to help you that far out in the periphery. That is how it is. If you get help out on the periphery it is because some player was nice or wanted to kill whoever was killing you for free bags, not because “skill group play”. This goes for the ranger too (obviously you knew that nobody would help the ranger, god forbid the ranger having mates to help it. Same argument you put out each time, what if there is 2x vs ranger, and the way you word it, it seems like the ranger is a one man zerg with zero allies).

Then you gotta look at it from this point. How much health does a thief have if running burst? 10-14k is the most reasonable amount.
How much damage does glassbow do in WvW? upwards of 4k AA against such thief, that is a fact.
How many shots do you fire before the thief is in shadowstep range? 2-3 depending on him dodging or 2x porting (2 CD’s) to reach you.
How much damage is that? potentially if all max out – a dead thief if you include air fire proc….

That is reality. That is how it works VS thief. YOU LAND THE FIRST SHOT and you win. It is not a question of IF you win. You will with high chance WIN:

You’ve been away from EU too long mate, but every top GvG wvw guild has DPS wars that do exactly what you said they can’t; they help out with the periphery. They usually can run in the melee train for extra bombing damage, but if they see low targets they pull off and finish him off. Don’t tell me 17k eviscerates has no room in periphery =p and when you’re in a hectic fight and not looking at everybody around you, you don’t see the animation either so it’s harder to dodge. Don’t mistake the NA bads that use greatsword and every other leap/dash in the game to run when they are low, for what a warrior can do in small scale. DPS wars, if played well, are invaluable in the current meta.

I’d also like to point out, if you are using shout heals, that’s not a 1v1 build, so I can understand why you would say wars have no place in duels, because you’re right SHOUT wars don’t.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

(edited by warriorjrd.8695)

in Ranger

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

You’re right, but it happens.

Staff Eles can kite Warriors and Thieves for days and days while still being able to maintain their offensive capabilities the group relies on. D/D Eles can sustain and provide tons of AE pressure. Thieves are highly mobile and do high burst when they finally create an oppenening. Warriors can tie up Thieves like no one’s business. You’d expect the Ranger to fit into this group of periphery classes because it has a 1500 range advantage, but it simply doesn’t. The burst damage is low, the sustain damage is single target, the ability to escape a group is difficult (and it shuts down your offensive capability for 10 seconds), etc.

Class just isn’t built to support organized PvP as a power build imo. Especially not in WvW where you can’t rely on a terrain advantage to be available 90% of the time.

I agree with this as the #1 defense of power ranger is mobility. A cripple or chill of sufficient duration kills you pretty well whereas near perma levels of stealth, evade, or multiple invulnerability modes are much harder to counter from other classes.

I land 95% of my hunter’s shots and use signet of stone, and my GS4 blocks and wolf kd/fear to great effect too.

If mobility is to be the #1 defense of power ranger they should have a bit more of it. A good thief should not be able to catch them so easily. I don’t believe in a class that is supposed to win 1v1s with impunity in every situation and of course I can get on MY shoutheal warrior and destroy or stalemate thieves all day with axe/wh hammer, ridiculous condi clear ability and cleaves and defense for days.

It’s not that the power ranger should have guaranteed wins of 1v1 it’s that his niche is not niche-y enough. Stealth and evades WORK in this game, high mobility and range…not so much. I keep the GS cooldown trait mainly for the extra mobility for example to boot. The power GS/LB ranger I think of like a scout in TF2, gets in and out, some 1v1 capability, some cleave (shotgun, whatevs) and is back out of a zerg before anyone can lock you down.

Their tactical value is so similar to thief yet their disengage and reposition ability is way worse for what tradeoff really? A crappy ai pet that’s mostly ignorable? Are people really happy with only thieves in this role of ‘assassin’? Yoloq and wvw are chock full of thieves for this reason and it’s really boring to see.

I will keep playing it though because I love the style which is enough reason for me. I’ll be getting the most value out of these changes due to my playstyle which I’ve had for over a month now but I still don’t expect this to be some earth shattering change for people to QQ about.

At best it will put another class on the board filling the power roamer role properly which is perfectly reasonable and will hopefully will give this stale PVP some much needed variety. It may sound like QQ when the thief nerfs + ranger buff hit because the relative level of people playing thieves to power rangers is greatly slanted to thief, you can see people in this very thread talking about how they thief over ranger right now. There’s a reason for that.

in Ranger

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I don’t see this patch making ranger op, since the pet still is going to drag us down. It helps a lot by making power ranger viable. Yes viable, just not optimal or best in slot for group comp.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

the definition of “Viable” in this forum is highly questionable in any and all regards.

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

I don’t see this patch making ranger op, since the pet still is going to drag us down. It helps a lot by making power ranger viable. Yes viable, just not optimal or best in slot for group comp.

The pet only drags us down in certain scenarios, in others the pet is invaluable. Obviously if you’re zerging and it’s impossible for your pet to dodge all the AOE, it will slow you down. But roaming, or small scare 5v5 etc, the pet is far from a liability.

in Ranger

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

The pet only drags us down in certain scenarios, in others the pet is invaluable. Obviously if you’re zerging and it’s impossible for your pet to dodge all the AOE, it will slow you down. But roaming, or small scare 5v5 etc, the pet is far from a liability.

The damage and boons/conditions it applies is nowhere near as impactful as others have it, even if they have some decent F2 ability. In pve the pet messes up and dies from environmental hazards more than anything, in wvw its either a liability or background noise, and in pvp its still either a liability or background noise. Half the time the pet will chase the enemy and miss because the simplest of terrain can throw them off.

Atleast with the suggested changes ranger is getting, power builds can be a force in a fight sniping people for focus fire or help their pet better with the might on axe auto attack + fortifying bond and companions might (easy 25 stacks) for a high damaging pet. Still a majority of the pet mechanic is going to anchor ranger down from really going anywhere.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

(edited by NinjaEd.3946)

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

The damage and boons/conditions it applies is nowhere near as impactful as others have it, even if they have some decent F2 ability. In pve the pet messes up and dies from environmental hazards more than anything, in wvw its either a liability or background noise, and in pvp its still either a liability or background noise. Half the time the pet will chase the enemy and miss because the simplest of terrain can throw them off.

Atleast with the suggested changes ranger is getting, power builds can be a force in a fight sniping people for focus fire or help their pet better with the might on axe auto attack + fortifying bond and companions might (easy 25 stacks) for a high damaging pet. Still a majority of the pet mechanic is going to anchor ranger down from really going anywhere.

You’re using the wrong pets if you think they are “background” noise in pvp. I can agree that PvE and WvW (zerging not roaming) they aren’t the greatest. But once you scale down to spvp or wvw roaming, it comes down to how you use the pet, because they are useful.

I see people using the wrong pet for the job all the time. Choosing what pet you take is just as important as what weapons you take, people don’t ever seem to realize that.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

….But once you scale down to spvp or wvw roaming….

once you scale down to spvp or wvw roaming…..
you’re no longer actually playing Guildwars2.

You’re playing a stupid minigame that most of the people who rolled Rangers were not interested in. If they were, then you’d see just as many of them doing it as you see Thieves & Eles in that role. Representation matters here, Pal. If something is too ineffective or too much of a PITA to do, people will use the easier method (IE: War / guardian / Mes for all the other actual content that Guildwars2 is actually known for)

The ones who didn’t roll a different class for it? …. rolled a different game.
…like Mobas. Players who had their hearts set on playing ranger, play those 5v5’s instead

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

hey ilr, you still playin this game? Thought you rolled a MOBA.

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

You’re playing a stupid minigame that most of the people who rolled Rangers were not interested in. If they were, then you’d see just as many of them doing it as you see Thieves & Eles in that role. Representation matters here, Pal. If something is too ineffective or too much of a PITA to do, people will use the easier method (IE: War / guardian / Mes for all the other actual content that Guildwars2 is actually known for)

…like Mobas. Players who had their hearts set on playing ranger, play those 5v5’s instead

What the actual kitten are you talking about? That isn’t even worthy of a response to challenge what you said as you aren’t making any points. Spvp and roaming are not part of GW2? I’ll leave you alone in your little fantasy world there “Pal”.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Who are you?

Ranger | Elementalist

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Who are you?

I think he is the new resident troll for this sub forum

in Ranger

Otaking.4675

Speaking of Rangers staying on the bottom of the power curve…mesmers are getting spammable torment on scepter soon apparently.

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

Speaking of Rangers staying on the bottom of the power curve…mesmers are getting spammable torment on scepter soon apparently.

I don’t know what was worse about that ready up. The fact mesmers can now literally kill things by only using their auto attacks, or the fact elementalist’s have utilities that are more useful than their elites. The balancing team was on something really strange when they thought torment would ever be a good idea on an auto attack, and a clones auto attack.

in Ranger

Otaking.4675

I don’t know what was worse about that ready up. The fact mesmers can now literally kill things by only using their auto attacks, or the fact elementalist’s have utilities that are more useful than their elites. The balancing team was on something really strange when they thought torment would ever be a good idea on an auto attack, and a clones auto attack.

Yeah I hear the clones get it too which will be ridiculous. This game was better before torment. It was introduced to give necro a balance in shroud between power/condi but it has killed kiting play on every class. People are already talking about dropping their X roamer for another mesmer or warrior in other class forum, assuming loading uber condi cleanse like a shoutheal with soldier rune.

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

Yeah I hear the clones get it too which will be ridiculous. This game was better before torment. It was introduced to give necro a balance in shroud between power/condi but it has killed kiting play on every class. People are already talking about dropping their X roamer for another mesmer or warrior in other class forum, assuming loading uber condi cleanse like a shoutheal with soldier rune.

Condi cleanse won’t even be effective against an AA. Throw in some clones and you might as well go full glass and try and kill the mesmer as fast as possible, because you won’t be able to do anything about that torment. Like, updates like these make me mad rangers have a requirement for bleeds on our auto attacks, when warrior sword, necro scepter, and now mesmer scepter all inflict condis with no requirement.

in Ranger

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

mesmer scepter buff has taken all the heat off of the ranger.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

can we get torment on every 3rd shot of sb aa too? 4s duration

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

can we get torment on every 3rd shot of sb aa too? 4s duration

I actually always wondered since I made my mesmer why the Scepter has an AA chain. I realise it’s not entirely unique to it, but it is uncommon for ranged weapons to have a chain.

I wonder if all ranged weapons would benift from having a chain… -wonders what the LB and SB chain might look like-

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: JorneMormel.9850

JorneMormel.9850

I actually always wondered since I made my mesmer why the Scepter has an AA chain. I realise it’s not entirely unique to it, but it is uncommon for ranged weapons to have a chain.

I wonder if all ranged weapons would benift from having a chain… -wonders what the LB and SB chain might look like-

That would be pretty obvious, would it not?

Skill #1. Shoot an arrow
Skill #2. Shoot another arrow.
Skill #3. …
Skill #4. Profit!

I’ve got to admit they were pretty inventive with Rapid Fire. That’s some real immersive skill right there.

Unlike exploding arrows, because America and their Warriors?
At this point I don’t know, really. Point remains that the bow attacks on a Ranger never really packed a punch.

Mysterious Old Geek
Co-founder of Flying Pink Unicorns [PWNY], Ring of Fire

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

At this point I don’t know, really. Point remains that the bow attacks on a Ranger never really packed a punch.

oh really? Have you actually met a glass ranger with a bow? No? Ok, i totally understand why you say that then.

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

oh really? Have you actually met a glass ranger with a bow? No? Ok, i totally understand why you say that then.

I run a mix of valkyrie/zerker myself, thank you. Now why would you make assumptions like that?
I did not mean “packing a punch” in the sense of damage, but rather that the attacks all seem very unexciting.

Shoot an arrow… Woohoo. Shoot another arrow! Why not shoot a bunch of arrows to mix things up. That kind of thing.

Mysterious Old Geek

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

point 1: it is a bow. A bow shoots arrows. Want something else? get a musket or something, oh wait, rangers cant get those.

point 2: see point 1

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

point 1: it is a bow. A bow shoots arrows. Want something else? get a musket or something, oh wait, rangers cant get those.

point 3 : exploding trick arrows and flaming arrows of fiery death are already taken by other professions.

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

Not to act all envious of Warriors or anything, but yeah. Flaming arrows, explosions. I would consider that pretty exciting. Or the Thief’s SB skill #5, original to say the least.

Not that I am complaining about the strength of the Ranger’s bow skills (I would, but that is more of a Short Bow complaint and brings up my personal and therefore biased opinion.)
And I suppose bows would be in a worse place than they are now if the animations were all that telegraphed.

Anyway, I feel like we are dragging this discussion way off topic for a mere joke. In hindsight, not even a good one, considering I had to explain it.

Mysterious Old Geek

in Ranger

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

point 3 : exploding trick arrows and flaming arrows of fiery death are already taken by other professions.

kitten, now I’m imagining how awesome it would look if rapid fire shot flaming arrows, or if barrage was like an arrow firestorm. Or if point blank shot were to shoot some kind of floral breeze at the enemy or some shiz. I can dream kitten.

in Ranger

Posted by: Apparition.1576

Apparition.1576

In Guild Wars 1, rangers not only had poison arrows, but ignite arrows, and apply poison.

Too bad only rogues are allowed to apply poison in GW2… how i miss GW1 ranger..

One day.. all of you shall submit to the Flame Legion…. to me… I AM BLADABOS

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

In Guild Wars 1, rangers not only had poison arrows, but ignite arrows, and apply poison.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Serpent%27s_Strike

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stalker%27s_Strike

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Poison_Volley

???

in Ranger

Posted by: Ezrin.8217

Ezrin.8217

Pets gone/fixed/optional = Problem solved, Ranger fixed.

Whiskey Diesel – (Formerly Whiskey Zulu)
(ASH) GoM Commander
Former (WvW) JQ Commander

in Ranger

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

kitten, now I’m imagining how awesome it would look if rapid fire shot flaming arrows, or if barrage was like an arrow firestorm. Or if point blank shot were to shoot some kind of floral breeze at the enemy or some shiz. I can dream kitten.

If only Preparations existed in this game as utility skills that could change the way our weapon skills worked…

• Kindle Arrows would make the next 10 attacks apply 3 seconds of burning. (would cause all of our arrows to look fiery)
  • Glass Arrows that Deal bonus damage/bleeding if blocked. Would be great counter play to professions that like to block a lot (warriors and guardians) (Would cause our bow attacks to have an audible glass breaking sound)
  • Trapper’s Focus (elite skill) that grants Stability to you and pet. Your traps are unblockable . Conditions caused by traps deal 100% more damage and last 100% longer.

One of the big issues with Rangers that neither player or Anet is willing to admit that they originally weren’t even supposed to exist in the game, and that’s why Thieves and Warriors have so many Ranger skills from GW1 (pin down, choking gas, etc.)

Edited to remove Censored word, because anet forum policies are dumb.

in Ranger

Apparition.1576

???

First skill is a sword ability, second skill is dagger, third skill is a 2 sec poison..

???

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I believe what you’re thinking of is what’s known in the GW2 vernacular as a “Warrior”

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combustive_Shot
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fan_of_Fire
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Smoldering_Arrow

Rangers can only shoot arrows really far, shoot a bunch of arrows really fast, or shoot an arrow really hard; all in the same stance. It not like the class has access to Nature Magic or anything…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: jcbroe.4329

jcbroe.4329

I believe what you’re thinking of is what’s known in the GW2 vernacular as a “Warrior”

Rangers can only shoot arrows really far, shoot a bunch of arrows really fast, or shoot an arrow really hard; all in the same stance. It not like the class has access to Nature Magic or anything…

More than likely he’s a GW1 vet who doesn’t understand how 250 years of lore made rangers forget how to use a lot of their skills (who ANet gave quite a few of to warriors):

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Burning_Arrow
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ignite_Arrows
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Incendiary_Arrows
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kindle_Arrows

It’s a real shame that between GW1 and GW2 lore wise, Rangers forgot how to combine fire with arrows, gave away their preparations to thieves in the form of venoms, completely forgot stances and “mirror stancing” with the pet, forgot most of their good pet skills and bow skills in general, and completely forgot all of the amazing spirits with awesome abilities in favor of the tissue paper, have to follow you to keep up with combat instead of having amazing range and effects spirits that we have now.

It’s okay though I guess, because now we can use a 2 handed sword and 2 pets at a time (with arguably less than half the effectiveness they could have in GW1 combined together, but still).

Current iterations of the classes be kitten ed, because every single class in the game retains most of the capabilities they had in GW1 if they existed in GW1, except the ranger, who in the transition sacrificed almost everything that made them unique and in return didn’t receive any sort of compensation in the form of design or capabilities.

“Different games, different designs, blah blah blah, etc.” To that argument, I say that if everything was going to be different in this game but use the preexisting lore, then the least they could’ve done as courtesy is not call this the “ranger” class when any sort of resemblance to the GW1 class is a mere shell of what Rangers were truly capable of. Should’ve just went ahead and called the class “Beastmasters.”

Jroh | Former SOAC Ranger Podcaster | Platinum Division Top 100 Player
www.twitch.tv/itsJROH For stream, stream schedule, other streamers, builds, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/JRoeboat

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

More than likely he’s a GW1 vet who doesn’t understand how 250 years of lore made rangers forget how to use a lot of their skills (who ANet gave quite a few of to warriors):

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Burning_Arrow
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ignite_Arrows
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Incendiary_Arrows
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kindle_Arrows

It’s a real shame that between GW1 and GW2 lore wise, Rangers forgot how to combine fire with arrows, gave away their preparations to thieves in the form of venoms, completely forgot stances and “mirror stancing” with the pet, forgot most of their good pet skills and bow skills in general, and completely forgot all of the amazing spirits with awesome abilities in favor of the tissue paper, have to follow you to keep up with combat instead of having amazing range and effects spirits that we have now.

It’s okay though I guess, because now we can use a 2 handed sword and 2 pets at a time (with arguably less than half the effectiveness they could have in GW1 combined together, but still).

Current iterations of the classes be kitten ed, because every single class in the game retains most of the capabilities they had in GW1 if they existed in GW1, except the ranger, who in the transition sacrificed almost everything that made them unique and in return didn’t receive any sort of compensation in the form of design or capabilities.

“Different games, different designs, blah blah blah, etc.” To that argument, I say that if everything was going to be different in this game but use the preexisting lore, then the least they could’ve done as courtesy is not call this the “ranger” class when any sort of resemblance to the GW1 class is a mere shell of what Rangers were truly capable of. Should’ve just went ahead and called the class “Beastmasters.”

Would have been at least acceptable if we where the one’s with the Hammers spamming knockdowns and annoying the crap out of the pvp crowd…

We will never forget…
http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bunny_thumper

in Ranger

JorneMormel.9850

Would have been at least acceptable if we where the one’s with the Hammers spamming knockdowns and annoying the crap out of the pvp crowd…

We will never forget…

Or touch rangers. ;-)

God how I wish I could forget about those.

Mysterious Old Geek

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

@Warrior: “I swung a sword, I swung a sword again Hey! I swung it again, that’s great” – CJ
@Ranger: "“I shot an arrow, I shot an arrow again Hey! I shot it again, I’m dead anyway” – Us

:D

Torment is a thing that Rangers should have… We’re really a class what supposed to slow down and STOP a target….

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

???

First skill is a sword ability, second skill is dagger, third skill is a 2 sec poison..

???

All 3 are poison skills. It doesn’t matter if it’s a bow skill or not (apply poison could be used with all weapons). And Poison Volley is a 10 second poison without condi duration increases when you use it correctly (at point blank range) and it has a 9 second cooldown without traits. This actually makes it more efficient at applying poison compared to Apply Poison since there is no cast time associated.

But the point is you said only “rogues” (lol) had access to poison, when it’s pretty clear that rangers have tons of access to poison in GW2.

My list didn’t include traps, pet skills, or even the master trait that makes poison more effective.

in Ranger

Apparition.1576

???

???

All 3 are poison skills. It doesn’t matter if it’s a bow skill or not (apply poison could be used with all weapons). And Poison Volley is a 10 second poison without condi duration increases when you use it correctly (at point blank range) and it has a 9 second cooldown without traits. This actually makes it more efficient at applying poison compared to Apply Poison since there is no cast time associated.

But the point is you said only “rogues” (lol) had access to poison, when it’s pretty clear that rangers have tons of access to poison in GW2.

My list didn’t include traps, pet skills, or even the master trait that makes poison more effective.

lol…

in Ranger

warriorjrd.8695

???

???

lol…

Point he was trying to make is that rangers have plenty of poison, much more than a “rogue”. We can keep 100% uptime on poison with one skill if you trait into marksmanship, like 80% uptime if you don’t. Saying rangers can’t poison is pretty false when we probably have the most in game, maybe a necro beats us. Not only that but we have a trait that makes our poisons stronger.

in Ranger

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Rangers have the most ways to poison by far.

Necromancers have two weapon skills and corrosive poison cloud which is pretty meh.. then there’s trained minion death novas that release a poison cloud when a minion dies. But that’s also meh.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

On the build I use I get 16s poison on an 8s CD thanks to the dagger. I mean if that isn’t taking the kitten I don’t know what is.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

We will never forget…

Or touch rangers. ;-)

God how I wish I could forget about those.

lol touch was the best thing ever. I still miss playing alliance battles and just wrecking everything as 1/4 of an all touch ranger team.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Cripple doesn’t work on most bosses so I don’t know what you mean by 15% more damage in any content that matters.

in Ranger

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Cripple doesn’t work on most bosses so I don’t know what you mean by 15% more damage in any content that matters.

Yes it does. It’s a condition. As long as that condition is up on the boss the damage modifier will work. Maybe it’s useless against something like alphard but it will work fine on most bosses.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Ranger

Apparition.1576

???

???

lol…

Point he was trying to make is that rangers have plenty of poison, much more than a “rogue”. We can keep 100% uptime on poison with one skill if you trait into marksmanship, like 80% uptime if you don’t. Saying rangers can’t poison is pretty false when we probably have the most in game, maybe a necro beats us. Not only that but we have a trait that makes our poisons stronger.

Except by using a “Bow”. Which is why most people picked the class to begin with. (FOTM Meta Sword Rangers dont count). Now this is the part where my opinion is my opinion, but I am a ranger who refuses to pick up a sword because that is not the class that I rolled.

I mean I was a huge fan of HE-MAN, but he was a warrior.. not a ranger..

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/93/46/4f/93464fd97b8ae2ac060eac718aa3a0e0.jpg

(edited by Apparition.1576)

in Ranger

Dahkeus.8243

Idk…He-man did run around with a cat pet….