Ranger changes Dec. 10 patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Peter.9406

Peter.9406

Ranger
For the ranger, we’ve adjusted the placement of some traits in order to have more build combinations. For example, by swapping Nature’s Vengeance and Spirits Unbound so that rangers can have spirits follow players in tier 2, players can now opt out of the higher damage output from spirits and still have options elsewhere. We also enhanced some Marksmanship traits and a Skirmishing trait to make power specs more appealing. We feel rangers also currently have too much endurance regeneration through traits. Due to this, we’ve made adjustments to Wilderness Survival traits, and we’ve also brought down the passive effect of Sun Spirit and the active effect for Storm Spirit.
Long Range Shot: Increased the damage at the less-than-500 range by 20%. Increased the damage at the 500 to 1000 range by 15%.
Marksmanship V—Predator’s Instinct: Increased the threshold from 25% to 50%. Increased the cripple duration from 2 seconds to 10 seconds. Increased the cooldown from 15 seconds to 30 seconds.
Marksmanship VI—Beastmaster’s Bond: Decreased the cooldown from 90 seconds to 60 seconds.
Skirmishing XII—Moment of Clarity: Stun duration increased from 50% to 100%.
Wilderness Survival 5—Natural Vigor: Reduced the increased endurance regeneration from 50% to 25%.
Wilderness Survival VIII—Oakheart Salve: Decreased the recharge of this trait from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.
Wilderness Survival XII—Bark Skin: Increased the damage reduction from 30% to 50%.
Nature Magic I—Circle of Life: Cleared up the text of this trait to clearly identify that it happens when downed, not defeated.
Nature Magic V—Strength of Spirit: Increased the conversion from 5% to 7%.
Nature Magic VII—Spirits Unbound: Moved to the Master tier.
Nature Magic IX—Two-Handed Training: Greatsword and spear attacks now have a 50% chance to grant fury on hit. Each attack will have 3 seconds of fury. There is also a 10-second cooldown.
Nature Magic X—Enlargement: This trait now uses Signet of the Wild to trigger. This reduces the cooldown to 60 seconds and allows it to interact with the Signet of the Beastmaster and Signet Mastery traits.
Nature Magic XI—Nature’s Vengeance: Moved to the Grandmaster tier.
Beastmastery VI—Mighty Swap: The might from this trait now applies to players and their pet.
Sun Spirit: Reduced the passive burning from 3 seconds to 2 seconds.
Storm Spirit: Reduced the damage from the Call Lightning skill by 33%.
Bug Fixes
Trap Potency: Updated this trait to indicate the correct condition duration increase (100%).
Path of Scars: Fixed a bug that enabled the skill to be fired at enemies behind the ranger.
Whirling Defense: Updated the skill facts to be more precise, adding a separate radius for attack and reflection.
Winter’s Bite: Added a weakness skill fact.
Hunter’s Call: Updated the damage fact to reflect the proper amount of hits.
Call of the Wild: Removed the unnecessary range fact.
Ranger Pets
Global
The ranger pet health bar now displays the current health of the player’s pet as a raw number. A tooltip has been added to display the current and maximum health.
Fern Hound
Regenerate: Removed the extra radius fact.
Red Moa
Furious Screech: Added skill facts for radius and number of targets.
Arctodus
Rending Maul: Updated the facts to properly represent the two hits from this attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Water spirit is a FAIL, GG Anet, the main Heal have a 240 radius.In the next update Anet will delete this class….

(edited by urdriel.8496)

in Ranger

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I must say it does take the fun out of updates, knowing whats coming beforehand.

Oh well.. nothing that really effects me (except the endurance nerf)… Maybe I’ll try LB for the sake of it, but its not the damage which put me off it in the past so.

-shrugs-

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Looks like Jon didn’t get a fix for the 1h sword…

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

In fact, the Nature Magic X—Enlargement change is huge, with signet build, it will provide double stability, plus ROA, ranger might have the longest stability in the game, which is superior for WvW zerg fight. However, the old problem is still same, the group contribution by ranger in WvW zerg fight still remains too limited……
Also forget to mention, to get tripple stability, ranger has to put 30 into MS and 20 to NM, then only 20 left for other traits. :-(

(edited by CRrabbit.1284)

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

NOoooooo!

They stabbed Natural Vigor…

NSPride <3

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

NOoooooo!

They stabbed Natural Vigor…

We are a OP medium class, Heavy and light classes MUST have more access to Vigor than us.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

Im having so much fun running 30/10/0/30 right now
great update

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

is LB bugged?? each attack give you 1-2 sec of fury.

in Ranger

Posted by: Peter.9406

Peter.9406

Yeah I think it is.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

No surprises in the patch notes it looks like. I’ve actually been using a build for the last month that takes advantage of it, gonna see how it works now…

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

Patch after patch the first thing I do is trying to dodge mid animation, always the disappointment ://

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

I dont see where they mention water spirit though given what I understand I have to agree… it really only benefits the percentage of rangers that are spirit rangers for one thing, for another their toolbar is already loaded up. With the spirit nerfs, probably a lot less spirit rangers too.

Should be a signet like mesmers, no fuss no muss.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

I dont see where they mention water spirit though given what I understand I have to agree… it really only benefits the percentage of rangers that are spirit rangers for one thing, for another their toolbar is already loaded up. With the spirit nerfs, probably a lot less spirit rangers too.

water spirit is WORST than healing Spring, a spirit ranger perhaps could run it but no cleanse or water camp is a big handicap.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

water spirit is WORST than healing Spring, a spirit ranger perhaps could run it but no cleanse or water camp is a big handicap.

Water spirit is a better HEAL, but healing spring is the better skill imo, especially if you’re a spirit ranger….

What I mean by that is water spirit will heal you for more, but that’s it, all it has is raw healing and even then it doesn’t beat healing spring by enough to warrant us taking the kittenty kitten spirit we need to trait for over it, I mean MAYBE in a Zerg the spirit would be better since it’s passive can effectively buff 15 people (like all spirits) but certainly not in smaller group stuff…

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Two months to review and analyze feedback but they didn’t change a kittening thing.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

In fact, the Nature Magic X—Enlargement change is huge, with signet build, it will provide double stability, plus ROA, ranger might have the longest stability in the game, which is superior for WvW zerg fight. However, the old problem is still same, the group contribution by ranger in WvW zerg fight still remains too limited……
Also forget to mention, to get tripple stability, ranger has to put 30 into MS and 20 to NM, then only 20 left for other traits. :-(

If you want double Signets of the Wild, you will have to drop empathetic bond. There’s no point in taking it cause that’ll mean any cd build will the wipe the floor with you.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Panacea.4021

Panacea.4021

As usual nothing to cheer about in the patch. Seriously I’m just gonna drop here “Lone Wolf”. If WoW devs finally realized it, maybe Anet will follow. Until then, most of the time spent in WvW will be playing the ginger step-child class that is the ranger.

Panacea WhiteFang

in Ranger

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Two months to review and analyze feedback but they didn’t change a kittening thing.

I agree. That aspect of this patch is repulsive.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Ranger

Posted by: denimdan.8642

denimdan.8642

If you want double Signets of the Wild, you will have to drop empathetic bond. There’s no point in taking it cause that’ll mean any cd build will the wipe the floor with you.

i agree, one of the biggest handicaps for ranger (other than pet AI) is that for any decent condi removal you have to go 30 deep into a line for 1 trait that is useless the second your pet dies. So, all that double stability is good for is zerging (which shout with boon duration is better for imo) or sitting in a tower and pew pewing the ppl running by where your safe from most the condis

Ranger
Storm Bluff Isle [EVOH]

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Water spirit, 1,5 sec to cast spirit + 1 sec to use the skill + 1 sec to have the effect: 3,5 sec for 6k base heal…….is a focking joke….

in Ranger

Posted by: Jarek.1052

Jarek.1052

actually i think that going zerk 20/25/0/25/0 or 20/20/0/30/0 with spotter, frost spirit and water spirit will be a great dps/support build for pve content (dungeon, fotm)

Desolation
Andúnë Faroth, level 80 sylvari ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

From my first impressions i can say that i like the changes…
Moment of Clarity is totally viable now for spvp

in Ranger

Posted by: Dhunis.9072

Dhunis.9072

Another useless patch for rangers. Nerf to passive endurance regen, which is rangers defensive mechanic, nerf to path of scars, nerf to spirits, as mentioned you have to go 30 in Wilderness to not die in 5 seconds in pvp. Trait lines are still absolute mess. And new heal as all other rangers things you have to go deep in trait line to make it viable.

Ranked Arenas a.k.a. the New Hotjoin

in Ranger

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Good Patch overall; with some good solid buffs and positive changes for Rangers.

Well done Anet.

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

Good Patch overall; with some good solid buffs and positive changes for Rangers.

Well done Anet.

Yes, pets nerfed, water spirit is really bad, spirits nerfed (we have a water spirit on this update no?)

Nice job Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

My sentiments exactly. And water spirit is a joke. If aqua blast say, removed 3 conditions then they might have actually done something for power builds but as it stands they’ve done nothing.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Ranger

Posted by: Doug.9628

Doug.9628

these boards make me wish this community wasn’t so terrible. this was a great patch

in Ranger

Posted by: keelaunaw.3285

keelaunaw.3285

the only people who ever use the spirits are spvp players.

so pretty much the changes made to ranger that were effective are….ZERO. AGAIN. i think ive seen maybe 5 people, since beta, that ever use the spirits; no one cares about healing, give us something better to kill with kitten .

give me an equivalent ability to say guardian hammer, or thief backstab, that can gank you and have you down or dead in 3secs like them, and i will be happy.

could have kept the pet health bar off the abilities too, no point in it since i dont spvp or care about the worthless pets. we get ganked of too many abilities having this worthless pet, it does nothing for anyone, especially rangers.

time to put this ranger back in the closet, clearly anet has no clue how to create a ranged class. unfortunate, since mine was my main.

Never got bored with an MMO faster than GW2. Took 4mos.

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

these boards make me wish this community wasn’t so terrible. this was a great patch

The patch works for me, my dps is going up significantly, but I sympathize with spirit rangers.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

enlargement at the 30 point trait slot is fail. warriors have better stability for 20 points. yeah, its give damage but we must to spend 30 points on power ond 30 points on health line for it… no point for armor what is the basic in wvw. this updete not makes the ranger more viable in wvw. everybody spam party fury in big fights and rangers have very good self fury. im a little disapointed

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

my dps is going up significantly,

Yes?? How??? we only had a little dps increase in LB.

in Ranger

Kilger.5490

15-20% is significant to me, it was already great at long range. I try for long range but in spvp/wvw its not always ideal circumstances.

And I’ve been using Nature Magic IX which is now buffed (Two-Handed Training: Greatsword and spear attacks now have a 50% chance to grant fury on hit. Each attack will have 3 seconds of fury. There is also a 10-second cooldown).

With buff duration its over 40% fury uptime with Furious grip should be close to full time without even trying.

Also use the trait that Nature trait thats buffed up to 7% power, an extra 25 power isnt much but it adds up.

Kilger – Human Ranger
Jade Quarry

(edited by Kilger.5490)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

please delete your post before any mods or devs see it. And do not speak of this again.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Imaginos.3756

Imaginos.3756

Looks like Jon ignored the whole conversation. No 1hs update, no greatsword update, still nerfed our vigor etc…

in Ranger

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

sometimes i wonder if they even test this stuff lol, i know they dont care for rangers but come on seriously. I tried the water spirit even spec for them to follow and all, what a piece of garbage, animation to cast, animation to cast the heal, plus animation to cast the other spirits, plus it doesnt even heal that much. Worthless, seriously i have been using my Mesmer n guardian a lot more in fracs and dungeons and honestly i will keep it that way. Love rangers and all but the class is a mess and honestly it have been a year of promises and nothing

in Ranger

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Water spirit, 1,5 sec to cast spirit + 1 sec to use the skill + 1 sec to have the effect: 3,5 sec for 6k base heal…….is a focking joke….

That isn’t how it really works and misses several key things:

1. You cast it before the fight, not when you need the burst heal (this is no burst skill)
2. You then get 2 heals (every 25 seconds) where your HS is a 30 second timer.
3. You have a regen like ability with the passive that with good healing goes about 900 every 10 secs or 90 hps. The great advantage is its range at 1000.
4. When you heal you get a much bigger heal and don’t have to wait for all the ticks of regen.

Downsides are obvious:
1. Spirit can die (which can trigger another heal if traited)
2. Downtime of spirit takes quite sometime to get used to when to put the spirit out. Just running with it 24/7 will have it expire right when you don’t want it to.
3. No condition removal.
4. No water field.

Pretty good for a small 5v5 roaming group frankly. You put that passive with nature’s voice and you have some significant passive regen for your group.

in Ranger

Posted by: The Chosen Link.3247

The Chosen Link.3247

What traits do you have because I’m not seeing this.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Just tested the Longbow properly in WvW. As of now, it is only slightly lower in damage then shortbow, with 3/4 the attack rate.

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

What traits do you have because I’m not seeing this.

Also can’t duplicate even with 2handed mastery.

in Ranger

Posted by: The Chosen Link.3247

The Chosen Link.3247

Okay, I found the bug. it’s not related with 2H Mastery.

It can be a bug since a tooltip isn’t updated, or a stealth buff which may make the longbow alot more viable!

You do receive 3.75s of Fury per Longbow hit though! (50% chance)

in Ranger

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I play thief and i never liked bow classes in any games so im not here to wine since i dont really care much…i just come here to say as thief and mesmer that Ranger class is really,really BAD.Its not focused on range (best build is axe and dagger),pets are more usefull for thiefs to use them as stealth cower then for rangers,new heal skill is just just a joke…,rangers are i think only class that has no condition clear or stability..at least when u play with bow as u should since its archer class right?And at the end i will just say that me as noob thief never lost from a ranger in WvW,i kill them more easy then i kill those npc’s that guards capture points.Anet really…game should have good balance and all classes should be equal…make range good class that mains long bow,give them some escape skill and fix those brain damaged pets.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I play thief and i never liked bow classes in any games so im not here to wine since i dont really care much…i just come here to say as thief and mesmer that Ranger class is really,really BAD.Its not focused on range (best build is axe and dagger),pets are more usefull for thiefs to use them as stealth cower then for rangers,new heal skill is just just a joke…,rangers are i think only class that has no condition clear or stability..at least when u play with bow as u should since its archer class right?And at the end i will just say that me as noob thief never lost from a ranger in WvW,i kill them more easy then i kill those npc’s that guards capture points.Anet really…game should have good balance and all classes should be equal…make range good class that mains long bow,give them some escape skill and fix those brain damaged pets.

lol even other classes get it more than some rangers here.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

That isn’t how it really works and misses several key things:

1. You cast it before the fight, not when you need the burst heal (this is no burst skill)
2. You then get 2 heals (every 25 seconds) where your HS is a 30 second timer.
3. You have a regen like ability with the passive that with good healing goes about 900 every 10 secs or 90 hps. The great advantage is its range at 1000.
4. When you heal you get a much bigger heal and don’t have to wait for all the ticks of regen.

Downsides are obvious:
2. Downtime of spirit takes quite sometime to get used to when to put the spirit out. Just running with it 24/7 will have it expire right when you don’t want it to.
3. No condition removal.
4. No water field.

Pretty good for a small 5v5 roaming group frankly. You put that passive with nature’s voice and you have some significant passive regen for your group.

if your fight last more than 30-40 sec, you must spend 3,5 sec to have a heal or run like a chicken from your enemy.

in Ranger

Dardamaniac.1295

Power Ranger in spvp is defently more viable right now..Longbow mid range buffs make it more usefull to dps, Moment of Clarity is good, the stun now is worthy and the Mighty Swap is a nice + to have…
Power Rangers were lacking of cond removal but i can sense that conditions generally have been toned down in every class..

Lets wait and see..

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

15-20% is significant to me, it was already great at long range. I try for long range but in spvp/wvw its not always ideal circumstances.

And I’ve been using Nature Magic IX which is now buffed (Two-Handed Training: Greatsword and spear attacks now have a 50% chance to grant fury on hit. Each attack will have 3 seconds of fury. There is also a 10-second cooldown).

With buff duration its over 40% fury uptime with Furious grip should be close to full time without even trying.

Also use the trait that Nature trait thats buffed up to 7% power, an extra 25 power isnt much but it adds up.

15% of an autoattack, and LB is bad with or without buff at short distances, so, you will change to another weapon or your enemy will troll you with your LB til you die.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

lol did that guy even check the wiki for info on rangers?

in Ranger

urdriel.8496

lol did that guy even check the wiki for info on rangers?

Nah, in the wiki you can read that rangers are goods with Bows, liars……

in Ranger

Dardamaniac.1295

about the longbow, they said that they will buff every 5% weapon dmg trait to 10% i think..so its a stealth buff, but its a stay one….

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Downsides are obvious:

You just made me realize that this is probably one of the more awesome functions in WvW…. Heal bombs. run the spirit on the front lines, BAM it dies, BAM you zerg is healed (well atleast 5 of em). And if the spirit somehow makes it on the first push, your team-mates probably made the passive proc once or twice too….

Also, may just be me, but it seems to have this weird bug that it drains HP contrary to healing. I noticed while soloing a camp that suddenly, i did 655 damage to guard (normal) and 906 damage (crit) all this while i healed for 906…. maybe intentional, maybe bug, either way it heals on passive.