Ranger com! Roy conf. changes to WHAO b4 BW3

in Ranger

Posted by: panda the chop chop.4712

panda the chop chop.4712

https://twitter.com/RoyCronacher

“Instead of copying durations blowing them out, we are still going to have heal as one do all boons, but instead use static durations.”

I’ve been playing, pvp ALL yesterday and today and quite honestly the quickness builds, and or might Stacking isnt even on par with ele D/D dammage…no bs this is an unnessary re change, no viable high burst damage build even works, the only thing that is works is some type of cele ranger BUT EVEN THEN the damage on sword, warhorn, dagger, ect.. is so much lower than other class meta builds!

this is going to be every other class cries and complain so lets “turn it down a bit” change .

Mik Kesirog ?
@RoyCronacher please make that you copy only own boons, problem solved! And leave ranger as it is! (this is a great idea)!

I highley recommond the ranger community come and support keeping our only good thing in a looooooooooooooooong while!!

IGN: Itspanda

in Ranger

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

So they will probably just use the same durations as fortifying bond. Incoming 2s quickness duration, oh yay.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

incoming fortifying bond-esque caps, GG quickness builds

definitely worth gimping our build to get that tasty 2 1/2 seconds of extra quickness and protection

in Ranger

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

amazing, 1 day for ranger nerf 6 months for ele nerf ayy lmao

in Ranger

Posted by: panda the chop chop.4712

panda the chop chop.4712

there is NO viable build that uses quickness up keep that high anyways! NONE… thats so much quickness there is nothing else you can do after you press 12345…………………

IGN: Itspanda

in Ranger

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Ohhhhhhhh gooooooooood.

Back to having no choice except for TU in PVE.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

in Ranger

Posted by: Zatoichi.1049

Zatoichi.1049

there is NO viable build that uses quickness up keep that high anyways! NONE… thats so much quickness there is nothing else you can do after you press 12345…………………

wait…when did they delete auto attack?

in Ranger

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

How about just 50% duration of what’s copied? Honestly, I haven’t seen many scary rangers since patch.

… I still want tengu.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Was always going to happen.

in Ranger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

If it’s capped at something silly like 2 to 3 seconds I’m going to be sick. I don’t understand this, especially with the boons like might….you have eles and warrs that can stack the hell out of that, why can’t rangers do that too?

in Ranger

Posted by: Thane.9421

Thane.9421

I have to agree. Testing this, the most OP factor is the quickness, and even so, to achieve really high quickness you need to be running things to extend boon duration, which most likely means Runes of the Traveler. With those runes, you aren’t going to do OP damage.

Another point is that “We Heal As One” handicaps Rangers when it comes to dealing with conditions. Many Ranger builds rely on Healing Spring for condition removal, and if not, we are probably talking condi/survival Ranger which relies on Troll Unguent and Entangle. To run boon Ranger, you’re forced to split utilities between shouts and survival skills, making you much more vulnerable to condi. The swiftness and regen uptime while running Travelers on condi survival is pretty meaningless, as you already have 25% move buff and you have no healing stat.

Might uptime compared with other classes is insignificant. For D/D or D/F or Engi, 25 stacks of might is simple in their normal rotations. For a Ranger with “We Heal As One” it requires staying close with a pet that stops moving for 3s, utilizing a heal for the boon share rather than for damage, and we are talking 17s of might. This also means using the juvenile jungle stalker rather than your hawk or wolf, and time spent with your pet not attacking which is a reduction in overall dps and/or utility.

Ultimately I didn’t see a significant increase in effectiveness using “WHAO” when it comes to PvP play. After the nerf, I fully expect it to go right back to being considered non-viable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Hopefully the might duration will be similar to fortifying bond so we can at least obtain a good duration of 25 might from mainhand axe then switch to longbow or greatsword for a good burst. I don’t care too much about the loss of a quickness gimmick build, but the ability to get high might on our own is pretty important to keep.

in Ranger

TheFantasticGman.9451

10 seconds.. ONLY 3 MIGHT STACKS.

GUTTED. Back to being worthless with you HEAL AS ONE!!!

in Ranger

Posted by: AgitatedFox.5287

AgitatedFox.5287

Hopefully the might duration will be similar to fortifying bond so we can at least obtain a good duration of 25 might from mainhand axe then switch to longbow or greatsword for a good burst. I don’t care too much about the loss of a quickness gimmick build, but the ability to get high might on our own is pretty important to keep.

lol sorry. only 3 stacks now. GG again Anet, your win streak continues.

Ranger Danger!

in Ranger

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

This nerf was not intended for PvP, but rather PvE, where permanent quickness is not intended for any class to have. The fact that this skill was released without any sort of modifier to incoming boons (as in, boons are shared with static durations) was an oversight, and a very stupid one I might add.

In PvE content I easily maintained perma quickness on myself and my pet and had an incredibly easy time solo stacking myself and my pet to 25 stacks of might, using only clarion bond, warhorn #5, zephyr’s speed, juvenile jungle stalker f2, and then WHaO. It took me literally two seconds to stack to 25 might, all the while retaining permanent quickness. That is broken, and there’s no denying it.

Regardless of the flaws the ranger class, this skill in itself was much too powerful and should not have been released at the state it was in. Do not complain about the incoming nerf. It is deserved and a right balance change. Also, understand that, even with static durations, being able to gain all boons from your pet is still strong and has good synergy.

It is a fair change.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

I’m not even surprised tbh.

Thanks anet again, ok I got it I’ll reroll ele.

in Ranger

TheFantasticGman.9451

This nerf was not intended for PvP, but rather PvE, where permanent quickness is not intended for any class to have. The fact that this skill was released without any sort of modifier to incoming boons (as in, boons are shared with static durations) was an oversight, and a very stupid one I might add.

In PvE content I easily maintained perma quickness on myself and my pet and had an incredibly easy time solo stacking myself and my pet to 25 stacks of might, using only clarion bond, warhorn #5, zephyr’s speed, juvenile jungle stalker f2, and then WHaO. It took me literally two seconds to stack to 25 might, all the while retaining permanent quickness. That is broken, and there’s no denying it.

Regardless of the flaws the ranger class, this skill in itself was much too powerful and should not have been released at the state it was in. Do not complain about the incoming nerf. It is deserved and a right balance change. Also, understand that, even with static durations, being able to gain all boons from your pet is still strong and has good synergy.

It is a fair change.

No. Fair would’ve been just removing quickness from the boons that could be copied. Instead they brought a nuke to a knife fight and made the skill worthless again.

in Ranger

xarallei.4279

Maybe having ridiculous amounts of quickness is broken, but there is no way in hell you can say the might stacking is broken when things like ele and warr exist in this game. I’m pretty disappointed right now.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

in Ranger

Posted by: SuzukiMethod.4732

SuzukiMethod.4732

It is a fair change.

Wait… people actual request PVE balance?

in Ranger

Posted by: Citrate.1590

Citrate.1590

Its not like the might stacking was without penalty too. You had to blow your heal to do it leaving you more vulnerable. People seemed to keep overlooking that weakness

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

It is a fair change.

No. Fair would’ve been just removing quickness from the boons that could be copied. Instead they brought a nuke to a knife fight and made the skill worthless again.

No. Fair is the current change. The skill can still transfer every boon in the game for these listed durations. That is a strong skill. There is no question, no debate about it.

Gaining permanent quickness was broken, even if the class behind it wasn’t enough to support the boon in a PvP scenario. In a PvE scenario, as your tag says you speak from, it is totally broken and there is no argument.

Be happy that the change is a net buff. It’s still a strong skill.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

xarallei.4279

You are going say with a straight face that THREE stacks of might is fair? Seriously?

in Ranger

Posted by: Zwizm.7013

Zwizm.7013

and…WHaO is dead again…nothing to see here.

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

You are going say with a straight face that THREE stacks of might is fair? Seriously?

When it had zero boon transfer before the patch, yeah that is fair.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Soilder.3607

It’s every boon in the game. Every boon in the game. Sure, some have lower durations that others, and rightfully so since not all boons are of the same strength. But still, every single boon in the game, on a 20 or 16s cooldown.

The ranger lot is the worst community in the game. You guys complain, for three years on that the class sucks, cannot even recognize when our class receives something blatantly overpowered, and then complain when it is fairly nerfed and is STILL much better than it was pre-patch.

Does our class have problems, and was it treated unfairly at times? Sure, but several steps in the right direction have been made over the last year. But as I said, this is the worst community in the game. Whining, complaining, total bias for one class. It’s a game, grow up.

Stormbluff Isle

in Ranger

Posted by: BolshoiBooze.3406

BolshoiBooze.3406

It also wasn’t used in any gamemode before the patch. Hell, even with soldier runes TU is the better option.

in Ranger

Mcrocha.3891

It also wasn’t used in any gamemode before the patch. Hell, even with soldier runes TU is the better option.

False it can be used in both of the meta pve builds condi or power. And if you are running shouts in pvp/wvw people still slot it. Just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean other people don’t use it.

in Ranger

xarallei.4279

Who didn’t recognize the skill was broken? Most people did. Everyone had to know the perma quickness was going to go. Anet has never approved of any class having that. But ranger has issues and ranger does need help, this could have been an opportunity to yes, nerf the skill from it’s overpowered state but to also at least throw ranger’s a bone by keeping the might stacking. You cannot argue that that is overpowered in the least. Not in this current game.

People who are complacent don’t get anywhere in this world.

in Ranger

BolshoiBooze.3406

False it can be used in both of the meta pve builds condi or power. And if you are running shouts in pvp/wvw people still slot it. Just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean other people don’t use it.

It’s inferior in almost every way. It heals less than TU, it doesn’t remove conditions when traited, it doesn’t keep your health over 90% nearly as efficiently (for scholar runes), you can’t use it preemptively, it doesn’t provide a water field like healing spring. The only thing you get from it is some worthless boons (swiftness and regeneration). It can be used, sure, just as search and rescue and guard can be used. It’s still outclassed by every other option out there, except for the water spirit.

in Ranger

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

3 stacks of might this skill is now useless

in Ranger

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

Well, this is a “hot fix” reaction. Hopefully, a better design will come after they have more time finding a good solution.

Not too optimistic though.

in Ranger

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

It’s inferior in almost every way. It heals less than TU, it doesn’t remove conditions when traited, it doesn’t keep your health over 90% nearly as efficiently (for scholar runes), you can’t use it preemptively, it doesn’t provide a water field like healing spring. The only thing you get from it is some worthless boons (swiftness and regeneration). It can be used, sure, just as search and rescue and guard can be used. It’s still outclassed by every other option out there, except for the water spirit.

The problem with TU is it takes time to kick in. So you have to use it preemptively, or you die. Healing spring is pretty worthless, especially now that it is a trap.

in Ranger

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

So…. shouts are worthless. Spirits are useless. Healing Spring got nerfed into uselessness. TU takes time to kick in, so try to predict when to use it or get killed.

And now, rather than actually adjust WHaO, they take the lazy way & just give it the Fortifying Bond treatment.

I’m honestly beginning to wonder if they’re actively trying to get folks to stop playing ranger.

And I say this as someone who has 8 rangers.

Headdesk

in Ranger

Mcrocha.3891

Its less susceptible to spiking than is TU, it doesn’t potentially have a water field block fire fields. Some worthless boons? So it doesn’t apply might at all now? Actually it still gives might, and it gives small durations of useful boons like prot. This is the problem with it being broken before. A skill gets a nice little buff that is not extreme(and was what was expected when the patch was previewed), but everyone goes berserk because it isn’t broken like it was when the patch went live.

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Its less susceptible to spiking than is TU, it doesn’t potentially have a water field block fire fields. Some worthless boons? So it doesn’t apply might at all now? Actually it still gives might, and it gives small durations of useful boons like prot. This is the problem with it being broken before. A skill gets a nice little buff that is not extreme(and was what was expected when the patch was previewed), but everyone goes berserk because it isn’t broken like it was when the patch went live.

The problem is that Roy took offense to the might stacking, of all things. Despite the fact that several other classes stack might absurdly easily. Boon sharing between ranger and pet should have been baseline from the beginning, but when they finally implement it, their version is so watered down it might as well not exist. It’s a slap in the face, honestly. Professions which are already strong are allowed to stack boons, but the weakest profession in the game is not, because they think that that is balanced for some unfathomable reason.

in Ranger

Posted by: Hynoris.3684

Hynoris.3684

Hero to zero in less than 30 hours

You get 2 secs of Prot coping “guard” now with 60% boon duration.

To bad they used the sledgehammer for something that needed a scapel.

in Ranger

Posted by: lorddarkflare.9186

lorddarkflare.9186

This is much more in-line with the sort of buffs the patch seems to have had.

The ranger needs fixes, but not like this.

The problem is that Roy took offense to the might stacking, of all things. Despite the fact that several other classes stack might absurdly easily. Boon sharing between ranger and pet should have been baseline from the beginning, but when they finally implement it, their version is so watered down it might as well not exist. It’s a slap in the face, honestly. Professions which are already strong are allowed to stack boons, but the weakest profession in the game is not, because they think that that is balanced for some unfathomable reason.

I do not think it unfair to say: “No, you may not stack an ungodly amount of might in such a sort period of time as enabled by one skill.”

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I do not think it unfair to say: “No, you may not stack an ungodly amount of might in such a sort period of time as enabled by one skill.”

As enabled by one skill two trait lines sigil/rune investment and is dependent on burning your heal ON COOLDOWN….also your pet swap.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It’s every boon in the game. Every boon in the game. Sure, some have lower durations that others, and rightfully so since not all boons are of the same strength. But still, every single boon in the game, on a 20 or 16s cooldown.

The ranger lot is the worst community in the game. You guys complain, for three years on that the class sucks, cannot even recognize when our class receives something blatantly overpowered, and then complain when it is fairly nerfed and is STILL much better than it was pre-patch.

Does our class have problems, and was it treated unfairly at times? Sure, but several steps in the right direction have been made over the last year. But as I said, this is the worst community in the game. Whining, complaining, total bias for one class. It’s a game, grow up.

Should one who stoops to whining about perceived whining, “grow up,” as well ?

in Ranger

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

I’ve never been one to say “Justify your reasoning to me, Anet.”

But this time? Yeah. I want the reasoning/logic behind this change & why it was done the way it was done.

As others have said, warriors & eles stack might with ridiculous ease.

And what in the world was wrong with any of the boon durations besides quickness?

Headdesk

in Ranger

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Boon sharing between ranger and pet should have been baseline from the beginning,

This.

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

I’ve never been one to say “Justify your reasoning to me, Anet.”

But this time? Yeah. I want the reasoning/logic behind this change & why it was done the way it was done.

As others have said, warriors & eles stack might with ridiculous ease.

And what in the world was wrong with any of the boon durations besides quickness?

Agreed. An explanation on the logic and the opportunity to attempt to refute it would go a long way right now.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

lorddarkflare.9186

As enabled by one skill two trait lines sigil/rune investment and is dependent on burning your heal ON COOLDOWN.

Right. So you agree that the new WHaO is a bad skill that should not have made it into the game.

Its mere existence warped possible balancing of the class and potentially the balance of other classes as well.

All for something that was not even altogether practical in PvP.

Ranger are absolutely right in demanding better from A-Net. We should always demand better, even if it means we do not get to play with a shiny toy.

(edited by lorddarkflare.9186)

in Ranger

BolshoiBooze.3406

I see where you’re coming from man, I really do. But I still think you overestimate WHaO. If you’re being spiked to the point where you need the full heal up front or you’ll die, WHaO probably isn’t going to save you. You’re probably going to get interrupted at that point anyway, and the 6k heal is rarely enough to keep you alive for longer than a few seconds. It has it’s uses, but the scenarios where this skill is a better option than TU are very rare, surely you can see this. It’s irrelevant to add some minor boons to this skill, it’s still not going to be better.
If “Protect me!” suddenly gave me 5 might stacks, I still wouldn’t use it over signet of stone. The primary functions of the skills are so inferior to their counterparts in both examples, that the small secondary buffs are worthless in comparison.

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

As enabled by one skill two trait lines sigil/rune investment and is dependent on burning your heal ON COOLDOWN.

Right. so you agree that it was a bad skill that should not have made it in.

Its mere existence warped possible balancing of the class and potentially the balance of other classes as well.

Ranger are absolutely right in demanding better from A-Net. We should always demand better, even if it means we do not get to play with a fun toy.

No. I don’t agree it was a bad deicision. The ONLY thing that was overpowered would have been fixed by a straight copy to the nature magic line. The additional nerf to the might was what pushed me over the limit there. I originally expected it to be a copy of the nature magic minor trait. They made it worse than that. Massively so.

The concept of sacrificing your defense for offense was FUN. It was engaging. And it actually made a difference. And it would have been retained if it was a straight copy of the nature magic minor. But in its current form that gameplay is gone.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

The heal had to change and everyone knew it. You can’t have it that the only reason a Ranger is in the meta is because of a single overpowered trait/heal. Its a bad design choice, leads to less diversity, and is a nightmare to balance around in the future.

Having this heal remain unchanged would have been an anchor around our necks when it came to buffing the many weak areas that currently exist for Rangers. Too much focus is being given to a heal that was fine before and is better now. There are plenty of other things that need attention before trying to justify bumping this heal up to OP levels.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

(edited by Leodon.1564)

in Ranger

lorddarkflare.9186

Right. so you agree that it was a bad skill that should not have made it in.

Ranger are absolutely right in demanding better from A-Net. We should always demand better, even if it means we do not get to play with a fun toy.

No. I don’t agree it was a bad deicision. The ONLY thing that was overpowered would have been fixed by a straight copy to the nature magic line. The additional nerf to the might was what pushed me over the limit there. I originally expected it to be a copy of the nature magic minor trait. They made it worse than that. Massively so.

The concept of sacrificing your defense for offense was FUN. It was engaging. And it actually made a difference. And it would have been retained if it was a straight copy of the nature magic minor. But in its current form that gameplay is gone.

The cap to might is too restrictive, on that we can agree. It is the only aspect of fix that I dislike.

Granted, the skill is still better than it was before so I cannot muster the rage that permeate this board right now.

The cap should probably be around 10-ish.

in Ranger

Shadelang.3012

The heal had to change and everyone knew it. You can’t have it that the only reason a Ranger is in the meta is because of a single overpowered trait/heal. Its a bad design choice, leads to less diversity, and is a nightmare to balance around in the future.

Having this heal remain unchanged would have been an anchor around our necks when it came to buffing the many weak areas that currently exist for Rangers.

We all know that it had to be changed. No one is truly disputing that. Its that they went way too kitten far and one of the aspects of the nerf was one of the stupidest we have ever seen. Thats whats got people upset.

Ghost Yak

in Ranger

Mcrocha.3891

I see where you’re coming from man, I really do. But I still think you overestimate WHaO. If you’re being spiked to the point where you need the full heal up front or you’ll die, WHaO probably isn’t going to save you. You’re probably going to get interrupted at that point anyway, and the 6k heal is rarely enough to keep you alive for longer than a few seconds. It has it’s uses, but the scenarios where this skill is a better option than TU are very rare, surely you can see this. It’s irrelevant to add some minor boons to this skill, it’s still not going to be better.
If “Protect me!” suddenly gave me 5 might stacks, I still wouldn’t use it over signet of stone. The primary functions of the skills are so inferior to their counterparts in both examples, that the small secondary buffs are worthless in comparison.

Valid points, but you could just as easily rupt TU. I know that its uses are limited, but that is the whole point of why it needed to be nerfed. Without the nerf you would have to have a very specific reason to use any heal other than WHaO because of how broken it was. Protect Me is a different story because it is terribly designed, but thats a story for another thread.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Having this heal remain unchanged would have been an anchor around our necks when it came to buffing the many weak areas that currently exist for Rangers.

You thinking this build was in the Meta shows that you have no idea what you are talking about and are just jumping on the nerf bandwagon. Well you got your wish, now go to the next Class and start crying about them.