Ranger mainhand sword skill 2

in Ranger

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

So i know there have been a billion and one threads about the ranger mainhand sword, and I might be posting something that’s been posted before, but I have a suggestion/request for skill #2. While I would like to see the order of the skills reversed, I realize that how it is now is how it was designed to be played and how most people have gotten used to it. Therefore, I would like to request that the second skill, monarch’s leap, be available for a while longer than it is. I feel as the skill is now, you are almost pigeonholed into using hornet sting, and then immediately using monarchs leap right away, or just letting it expire to gain distance. I would like to see a few more seconds added onto the duration that monarch’s leap is avaliable, to allow a more tactical use of the skill.

For example, I would like to be able to use hornet sting, get some distance from my target, and then establish whether or not I do want to utilize some sort of combo field (bonfire or healing spring etc.) or whether i want to hang onto that leap finisher for a few seconds and utilize it at a better time. I just feel too rushed with the current duration. I have to either lay down the field BEFORE using hornet sting, which makes my next move, (the leap finisher,) blatantly obvious to any reasonably intelligent foe, or use hornet stiing and then hurry up and use monarch leap right away and hope a teammate threw down a combo field in between, or that the combo field that was there when i started the combo hasnt expired.

TL;DR: I would like to see 3-5 seconds added to the available duration of Monarch’s leap to allow more tactical use.

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

in Ranger

Posted by: PsionicDingo.2065

PsionicDingo.2065

I think that’s fair. I mainly use it as a free evade and then leap back in to get an aura, but more time would allow for some strategy. Not sure what, but I’d play with it.

My psychic knife. The focused totality of my psychic powers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

Actually it’s 2.5sec which allows you to use any skill you want and then use it again.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

Larcenous Strike has a nice window.

in Ranger

Black Scoutsman.5830

Larcenous Strike has a nice window.

yeah something along the lines of this. 2.5 seconds is really fast. and yeah u can drop the field and then jump through it right away, but like i said, predictability.

in Ranger

Posted by: Seni.7162

Seni.7162

I second this entirely. Monarch Leap has next to no tactical functionality as is.

in Ranger

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

I second this entirely. Monarch Leap has next to no tactical functionality as is.

You are not serious are you?

Evade.
Leap out of melee range.
Leap finisher back to melee range.
Damage.

Never mind, you are correct, it needs a 3k heal attached to both leaps, with stability and 10 stacks of might.

/rollseyes

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in Ranger

PsionicDingo.2065

How about Vuln attached to it?

A ranger crazily leaping through a field of fire to stab you in the face might make you feel vulnerable.

in Ranger

Posted by: Blackbird.4382

Blackbird.4382

Upping the duration seems like a good idea w/o being OP’d. It is a very useful ability atm though, so I’m kinda meh on the idea.

Ranger/Thief/Elementalist/Warrior – Fort Aspenwood
DAOC Vet – Etheria & Schado Fox

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I think the sword is almost flawless. That’s just my opinion (I know many dislike the weapon and that’s okay).

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

I think the sword is almost flawless. That’s just my opinion (I know many dislike the weapon and that’s okay).

Fireworks in 3…

2…..

1……

Here we go!

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in Ranger

Blackbird.4382

Well the beauty is there are several others to choose from. I like it too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lert.6287

Lert.6287

I agree about that sword is fine as it is. The ONLY problem is the #1 root chain, but that would be it.

Engineer / Piken Square
Former Team Psy [Psy] member/ [BNF] guest
YT Channel

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Except for, ya know, that whole #1 chain rooting issue.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Blackbird.4382

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to turn off the auto attack for #1. Does it really put you out so much to press the 1 button to scroll through the chain?

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to turn off the auto attack for #1. Does it really put you out so much to press the 1 button to scroll through the chain?

No, I just figure that if they bothered to build the auto attack mechanic to facilitate dps without me having to machine gun #1 then I should be able to use it without being penalized just like every other weapon out there.

Having to disable a game mechanic designed specifically to make the game smoother just to perform well in combat is just bad design plain and simple.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Miiro.3124

Miiro.3124

I think sword #2 skill is perfectly fine if you know how to use it at the right time, I guess they could make it easier to use though.

[SAV] Miiro 80 Ranger
Jade Quarry Champion Hunter
Solo/Small man WvW

in Ranger

Posted by: Seni.7162

Seni.7162

You are not serious are you?

Evade.
Leap out of melee range.
Leap finisher back to melee range.
Damage.

Never mind, you are correct, it needs a 3k heal attached to both leaps, with stability and 10 stacks of might.

/rollseyes

I said Monarch Leap, not Hornet Sting. /rollseyes.
Hornet Sting is great as a disengage. Monarch Leap is a leap with medium damage, only usable seconds after a disengage. If you’re using it as a disengage for survival purposes, your next move probably isn’t leaping back in. You have very little time to do anything between Sting and Leap, and therefore, Monarch Leap has next to no tactical fuctionality . Are we still confused?
Let’s play a game where you’re a little more humble (intelligence wouldn’t hurt either).

(edited by Seni.7162)

in Ranger

Black Scoutsman.5830

I am not saying that sword 2 is broken. I am not interested in a debate about the functionality of the auto attack chain. I was merely making a suggestion. I personally would like a few more seconds to be able to decide if i want to use monarchs leap in a delayed aspect, or if i want to turn and use it as an additional distance maker, or if i want to jump to a different target. If you like it as it is, a couple extra seconds isnt going to affect you at all because you’ll just continue using it right away. So i’m failing to see why you would be opposed to adding a couple more seconds to it, as it would have 0 effect on your game play.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I think this is a really reasonable suggestion that I’d like to see as well.