Ranger more melee - not viable

in Ranger

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

So I have a great build, it’s better than all the builds combined, but I am not happy…

Melee isn’t my thing, Rangers are supposed to be “RANGED” and aren’t.

Our skills as seen in my scores of the last few games that have been mostly melee have been some of the most successful that I’ve had since before the game went public.

I am frustrated that my bows (either) or my rifle (only gun???) are worthless, and I mean worthless in spvp.

I am ax/warhorn — sword/dagger as found elsewhere on this forum and it’s “survivability” is “ok” not great but I am not happy that I can’t do anything “great” at “range” with the weapons that are “ranged” at this point.

I have a decent idea for spvp:

Besides that balance you’re thinking of for January, how about increasing the life pool of every single character to three to five times what it is now

Then some would have the TIME to get to us and help us (calling incs – it’s long overdue) to be “teams” that are working together – because as it is, spvp is a huge fail because there is no communiation between people for many of the spvp games and even in the tpvp pick-up games and it’s more than frustrating, it’s downright lonely.

How about addressing the communication problem in WvW and in pvp?

It’s long overdue.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

in Ranger

Posted by: Ardashir.3684

Ardashir.3684

I just wanted to say that our class is ranger ,not archer
Not necessarily the ranger must be at a distance, since I use longbow / greatsword!
I like using weaken the bow and give the coup de grace with the greatsword!
I love this combination

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I am frustrated that my bows (either) or my rifle (only gun???) are worthless, and I mean worthless in spvp.

Rangers can’t use Rifles. Do you mean the speargun?

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

in Ranger

Posted by: Agadar.4931

Agadar.4931

Rangers aren’t ‘supposed’ to be ranged. You’re just slapping your own definition over the actual definition.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zonghui.4570

Zonghui.4570

“Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.” – Arenanet

Sounds like a main melee class to me.

Insert 6——-Stormbluff Isle
Level 80 —-Un Usual Suspects
Here-—————-[PeRp]

in Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Rangers aren’t just supposed to be ranged, otherwise we wouldn’t have melee weapons or talents to boost melee builds.

But it sounds like you need to spend some time with a good shortbow build since this is one of our best weapons, hands down (PvE or PvP).

in Ranger

Posted by: Roysten.3456

Roysten.3456

Main hand axe melee? Rifle? Sounds very much like a warrior.

I play a gsword, sword/torch melee ranger because its fun. If I was going all optimal then I would go ranged and fit an axe mainhand (900) in somewhere.

Mustard Pepper

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

So I have a great build, it’s better than all the builds combined, but I am not happy…

For the bazillionth time, that is not what the term “Ranger” means. At all.

Having said that, it’s frustrating that Longbows are so mediocre. It’s entirely due to a gimpy animation/recovery IMO making the #1 skill do less DPS than it’s supposed to.

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Main hand axe melee? Rifle? Sounds very much like a warrior.

I play a gsword, sword/torch melee ranger because its fun. If I was going all optimal then I would go ranged and fit an axe mainhand (900) in somewhere.

Yup, gsword sword/dagger Ranger, here. I play a bit like an ele in that I can regen over 13,000 hp for 10 seconds and escape from nearly any fight just like a Thief/DD Ele can only I don’t have stealth… I have perma swiftness via centaur runes. Melee Ranger is possible, and it’s fun once you figure out how to use your weapon skills as escapes and teleports.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

in Ranger

Posted by: Fiorrello.8126

Fiorrello.8126

you know, its kind of funny. i know that there are some die hard fans of the sword on the ranger, but i kind of feel like we got the wrong auto attack on it.

the auto attack chain that lets you stay on your target while applying cripples to prevent them from getting away feels like it should belong to the thief, and the auto attack chain that is more conservative letting you attack in an arch and giving you good options to dodge or use a dodging skill when needed should belong to the ranger.

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

^kitten I wish Long Range Shot was a chain skill. First shot is normal. Second does 5% more damage. Third is a flaming arrow that scales really well with condition damage. And fourth was an arrow tied to a rope that you can activate to pull the enemy toward you.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

in Ranger

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Ranger 1h sword is win. Anyway “Rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows" – lol.
Bows are meh tbh, quite weak. They can do “almost ok” dmg if u spec for it but why should i gimp myself? Longbow skills 3,4,5 are fine btw, i see the lb more like an utility weapon, which is quite sad… but as it is now the autoattack is plain bad.

in Ranger

Posted by: Majik.8521

Majik.8521

Having said that, it’s frustrating that Longbows are so mediocre. It’s entirely due to a gimpy animation/recovery IMO making the #1 skill do less DPS than it’s supposed to.

i agree ranger dose not mean range. but with that said here are the two different descriptions of the ranger.

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. With their deadly ranged skills and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself.Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows.With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

so by anets description it sound like rangers are primarily ranged but can swap to melle to adapt to the situation. this just isn’t the case. rangers are pretty weak with bows.

Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity.

in Ranger

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

i agree ranger dose not mean range. but with that said here are the two different descriptions of the ranger.

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. With their deadly ranged skills and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself.Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows.With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

so by anets description it sound like rangers are primarily ranged but can swap to melle to adapt to the situation. this just isn’t the case. rangers are pretty weak with bows.

Rangers can adapt to any situation.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyr.6097

Tyr.6097

Rangers are defined primary as ranged by a-net. For example: have you ever seen an official ranger wallpaper with melee weapons? The profession description says: Bows / Spirits / Traps. The addition “Rangers can adapt to any situation” means, that we “can” go in meleecombat, but overall, every aspect of this profession screams that our primary weapon is the bow.

Tyrs Klinge ~Thief~

(edited by Tyr.6097)

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

you know, its kind of funny. i know that there are some die hard fans of the sword on the ranger, but i kind of feel like we got the wrong auto attack on it.

the auto attack chain that lets you stay on your target while applying cripples to prevent them from getting away feels like it should belong to the thief, and the auto attack chain that is more conservative letting you attack in an arch and giving you good options to dodge or use a dodging skill when needed should belong to the ranger.

A weapon built around harrying and hounding a target while being harder to retaliate against is more than appropriate for the broader definition of a Ranger and the adaptability that they’re supposed to have.

Aesthetics aside, a Ranger melee style would need to bring something offensive that the ranged options can’t offer. There’d be no point having a ‘conservative’ auto-attack with dodges when standing 1200 units away with a bow has all the dodging you need for the same amount of attack. The greatsword gives local AoE, the sword gives constant cripples.

in Ranger

Posted by: Majik.8521

Majik.8521

Rangers can adapt to any situation.

you do know that all adapt means is to adjust to or make suitable for a specific situation? not good are great but just suitable.

so once again. by anets definition rangers are deadly with ranged skills and can bring down their foes with their Unparalleled archery, but can adapt (become suitable) to any situation. So how does this in any way not suggest that rangers were meant to be a ranged class primarily? but be able to finish of his prey with melle if they get close. hell as the poster above me said if you look at any of anets artwork the rangers always have a bow.

i am starting to think some of you just like being confrontational. i don’t see how anyone could read anets description of the class and not think it was meant to be mainly ranged.

Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity.

in Ranger

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Regardless of what Anet says in the description of the ranger, defining entire classes around melee and ranged roles is just not how classes are designed in this game. Which is a good thing, because it’s a terrible and overly-simplistic paradigm for class design.

Being expert ranged characters does not mean that Rangers are worse at melee than they are at range, it just means that they have fewer melee options than ranged options, which is how it is in the game currently.

This really isn’t quantum physics.