Ranger next specialization

in Ranger

Posted by: Nozdu.5971

Nozdu.5971

Hi guys. Since i was very disapointed with druid staff skills, its all for healing and i dont like it, however, i like the ideia of a nature kind of mage so iam going to trow out an ideia i had for a while.

Name: Shaman
Weapon: Staff (reuse with new skillls below)
Utillitys: Rune?

Mechanic: spiritual force.(similar to warrior rage, 3 bars, each stage will increase Mayhem effectiveness)

F1. Mayhem: unleash your spiritual energy in the form of an explosion. Leaves a rune on the terrain that will empower you and your allies(migh/fury?)

Staff skills

1. Bash, bash, bash ? (Help)

2. Runic land: Smash your staff on the ground at your feet creating a runic field that will damage up to 5 foes after a small delay(2s) and marking them(runes).

3. Rune burst: explode the runes on marked targets(damage per rune stacks) aoe 200m? range from inicial target.

4. Cast a rune a the targeted area to ravage your enemies. (Claws effect?) Amplyfies Mayhem within the next 3s.

5. Maelstorm: command the wind to pull enemies within 300m to you.

Utillities

6. Clensing waters: apply a rune to yourself summoning water from the dryads pond to heal you and cure 2 conditions. Grants vigor.

As you see there are few things missing that i havent figured out yet. I was thinking that could be a close quarters mage, would you guys like that ? Tell me what you think

Btw English isnt my first language so sorry for any mistakes.

Edit: forgot to mention, Shamans wont be able to use pets

(edited by Nozdu.5971)

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

I think this is not a ranger spec… Never forget that pets are imbeded in the core traitline and a very important tool when we are down. You just can’t get rid of it this way. Wich mean that you designed these few skills for another profession.

Thought the idea of having 2 e-spec for the same core profession with the same weapon but different skills is interesting.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Nozdu.5971

You are right, pets a crusial parte of Rangers. Any ideia to make them interesting with this e-spec ?

in Ranger

Posted by: Aidal.4901

Aidal.4901

TBH I’d prefer a new spec being a rifle and the ranger being more of a frontiers man feel.

in Ranger

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

I like the idea of a spirit shaman for the next ranger elite.

Weapon: Hammer
Skills: Spirits

My spirit shaman would get the hammer as its new weapon, great.
In terms of new skills, it doesn’t get any. Instead the current line of spirit skills are upgraded through a trait in the elite spec. In addition to providing its current effects, the new F5 will cause the ranger’s existing pet to channel the spirit into itself for a limited time, causing some additional effect. Something like an enhanced manifestation of nature.

Sorry I don’t have any mechanics, this is just a concept.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

in Ranger

Nozdu.5971

serow what if spirit skills activate on your pet ? Instead of summoning a spirit, your pet “becomes” it ? My first thoughts on shaman for the weapon was hammer bur i like staffs more haha

in Ranger

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

You are right, pets a crucial part of Rangers. Any idea to make them interesting with this e-spec ?

I’ll take a shot, as I like your ideas.

E-Spec: Shaman
Weapon: Hammer
Utilities: Nature Rituals

Mechanic: Build up Spiritual Force when you and your Pet land attacks. Spiritual Force depletes when defeated or out of combat. Pet must be active and undefeated to activate. Spirit Meter: 30 points. Each connecting attack nets 1 point.

Spiritual Form (15s) – You and your Pet become one. While in Spiritual Form, F1-F4 gain new functions. F1-F3 become Aspects. Each Aspect lasts 5s and has a 10s cooldown after leaving. While attuned to an Aspect, you may release its energy for an effect, but extends the cooldown of that Aspect to 15s.

• F1: Bear Aspect (5s) – Combine your Pet’s toughness with your own to reduce incoming damage.
  • F2: Tiger Aspect (5s) – Combine your Pet’s precision with your own to increase critical hit chance.
  • F3: Wolf Aspect (5s) – Combine your Pet’s power with your own to increase outgoing damage.
  • F4: Release current Aspect
    - Bear: Release energy that grants allies Protection (4s) & Resistance (2s). Stun Break.
    - Tiger: Release energy that grants allies Fury (6s) & Quickness (3s).
    - Wolf: Release energy that grants allies Might (8 stacks, 8s) & Retaliation (4s).
  • F5: Activate/Deactivate Spiritual Form. 15s Cooldown.

Hammer Skills:

1a. Bash: Bash foes with your hammer. 130 range, 3 targets.
1b. Smash: Smash foes with your hammer. 130 range, 3 targets.
1c. Thump: Thump foes with your hammer and apply Weakness (2s). 130 range, 3 targets.

2. Seismic Strike (6s CD): Leap towards your foe and strike the ground, creating a Rune that damages foes with a spike that errupts from the earth. Leap Finisher. (300 range, 180 radius, 240 blast radius)

3. Spin Crusher (12s CD): Spin with your hammer through enemies, damaging them and evading attacks. Create a Rune at your destination that explodes, damaging and removing a boon from enemies. Whirl Finisher. (450 range, 180 radius, 240 blast radius)

4: Slab Hammer (20s CD): Toss your Hammer (900 range) that cripples (4s) and knocks back foes (60 distance) within the area. Blast Finisher. (180 radius)

5. Ground Rift (40s CD): Smash the ground, casting a Rune (600 range) that marks foes (2s). When time expires, marked foes are teleported to the Rune’s location unless they have Stability. (180 radius, 240 blast radius)

Random Traits to arrange where you want:

• Gain access to Spiritual Form, Nature Rituals, and be able to wield a Hammer.
  • Hammer skills recharge 20% faster. Create a Rune (from Spin Crusher) when you blast a combo field.
  • Nature Rituals recharge 20% faster and remove a boon from affected foes.
  • Aspects recharge 20% faster and last 1-second longer.
  • Gain Endurance when you swap Aspects.
  • Runes created are larger (+60 radius).
  • Increase Spiritual Force gained by 50%.
  • Releasing Aspects deals damage to nearby foes and are blast finishers.
  • Spiritual Form and Aspect Release cooldowns are reduced by 33%.
  • You and your Pet receive 10% less damage from slowed enemies.
  • Apply Slow (2s) on foes you remove boons from – 10s ICD.
    (Single skills can activate this trait multiple times before recharging.)
PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

(edited by Wondrouswall.7169)

in Ranger

Posted by: Savvy.3258

Savvy.3258

No, no, no, no, no…
Personally I thought the next specialization, in keeping with the ranger’s nature theme, ought to be either shaman or barbarian. I lean towards barbarian, obviously. We just got a “magic” specialization but the ranger is still lacking a proper, survivable melee build. We got heals and everyone qqs (don’t target the ranger, duh) but need to be out of range in order to make use of it or we get insta bursted. So we have support, ranged, condi, power, etc., but no viable melee build and no melee sustain to speak of. Needless to say, melee sustain is an absolute must have in the hold-the-point spvp format. For those reasons, I say barbarian should come next, possibly with dual maces or two handed mace.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

The next specialization should be something related to plant, with stuf like vine that root, plant dogs summoning, plant turrets… wait! no! that’s sylvarii… sorry!

Then the next specialization should be something that allow physical transformation into animals and pet summoning… wait! no! that’s norn… sorry!

Then let’s be original and try something more related to science! The next specialization should be focus around mechanic pets like golem… Og god! that’s Asura…

Else it could be something… Urgh! I almost suggested something with skill close to human racial skills… That’s no good…

Let’s just hope for some speicalization that make use of our weapons movement skills. Something that add effect on movement skills should be pretty safe balance wise, not really difficult to implement (since warrior already have a trait or 2 that make use of it) and could promote an interesting gameplay. It would benefit SB, dagger off-hand, sword, GS and lightning reflex so there almost no area to cover with a specific weapon… I think a melee MH dagger focused on condi or hybrid damage would fit it perfectly. Special mechanisms or utility could feature some movement… Let’s give it a nae for fun : tracker.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Ranger

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

We already got an entire spec on nature magic. I’d rather have one based on the physical/survival aspects this time round, like a hunter or tracker, with either a rifle or a spear/javelin and proper pet synergy. And for all pets. Not just introducing 3 stupidly better new pets making the rest obsolete.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

in Ranger

Posted by: Irijia.6073

Irijia.6073

This sounds more like something an elementalist would get.