Ranger or warrior?

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Kool Enoff.2486

Kool Enoff.2486

Hello eveyone. I am just stuck in trying to decide either to lvl up a war or ranger. I mostly would be doing small/solo roaming in wvw, buy i would also want to be viable in pve. Right now I already have a lvl 80 engi and mes if that helps. Any information is helpful. Thanks!

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Phantom.4079

Phantom.4079

Warrior. As fun as ranger is, warrior is in a better place pve wise.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Warrior is the utility class of the moment.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

If you are confident in your skills, you will find the ranger as a better option. The warrior is a solid choice, but it is simply easy mode all over the place, no matter what you do

EDIT; Thinking ahead, the warrior have a lot of legitimate complaints about it, this means that it will receive a good portion of nerfs or down-adjustments in the near future. Ranger’s will get buffs, and nerfs, but if even ONE of the hinted changes are coming through, the ranger as a whole will be in a very good place.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

(edited by Prysin.8542)

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

All classes are viable in PvE, so forget that. I’d give an extremely slight edge to ranger for WvW roaming, but it really depends on the player.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: qualm like a bomb.6512

qualm like a bomb.6512

Warrior is everything a ranger should have been. It also has heavy armor and damage….

Qualm – Commander
Grievance [GVNC] – Our drunken WvW is the kitten
Devona’s Rest – Forever Outnumbered & Kittened upon by Anet

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Warrior is just better now in all categories save fun. Ranger really is fun.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

With a bit of practice all the PVE content is easy as hell on any class so really don’t consider it.

I have both a ranger and warrior 80 and wvw with both, but I find the ranger the better for solo roaming. Currently using koroshi’s full regen build.

I’ve not yet been killed by a warrior in 1 v 1-3, they are far less dangerous than a D/D ele or Blackwater build mesmer to a ranger with the right setup. I don’t worry at all about taking on warriors with my ranger.

Warriors do have awesome dmg, excel at pve, and have a bigger variety of really solid wvw builds. So if you go ranger it’s still a labour of love. Just don’t go thinking it’s useless, it just takes a bit more effort.

Do what I did, level them both and lol at people arguing about what the ‘best’ class is.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

That depends, do you want to be able to solo stuff really well? In that case, you might want to go with a Warrior. How about providing superb support to your allies and friends. In that case, a Warrior might suit your purposes the best. What if you would like to just be able to casually enjoy the content, pressing just a few buttons to achieve your goals, and always being welcomed in a group or zerg setting? In such situations, a Warrior is the way to go.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: paleeshi.1924

paleeshi.1924

I think both are very valid choices for WvW roaming and honestly depends on what you like playing most… As for PvE, pretty much anything works, but for dungeons warriors are much more preferred by the GW2 population :P

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

EDIT; Thinking ahead, the warrior have a lot of legitimate complaints about it, this means that it will receive a good portion of nerfs or down-adjustments in the near future. Ranger’s will get buffs, and nerfs, but if even ONE of the hinted changes are coming through, the ranger as a whole will be in a very good place.

Hehe, I said the same thing nearly a year ago. :|

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

at the moment warrior knows everything better. and anet wrote they wont buff ranger because they dont want to rewrite the whole mechanic. that was the point when i finaly left my ranger

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Dear Kool Enoff,

Firstly, I hope the misspelling of both “cool” and “enough” was intentional. I also hope you never get a tattoo that reads “Kool Enoff”…

That aside, you have to ask yourself: do you want to have fun in open world PvE and some PvP or in the whole game? Ranger for the former, warrior for the latter. If you have the skill, ranger is also the latter, but you will be frustrated at times.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Warrior is just better now in all categories save fun. Ranger really is fun.

Yeah. I like ranger more, but I play warrior more.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Warrior for direct damage. Ranger for condition damage.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

That depends, do you want to be able to solo stuff really well? In that case, you might want to go with a Warrior. How about providing superb support to your allies and friends. In that case, a Warrior might suit your purposes the best. What if you would like to just be able to casually enjoy the content, pressing just a few buttons to achieve your goals, and always being welcomed in a group or zerg setting? In such situations, a Warrior is the way to go.

Just going to add: Want to switch your build from bunker to condition master to cc to zerker to ranged dps and still do well in all aspects of the game? Then yes my friend, warrior is the way to go.

(edited by dylan.5409)

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

Warrior for direct damage. Ranger for condition damage.

Warriors have nice conditiondmg builds for PvP and WvsW too. In PvE both classes are bad with conditions.
And rangers can be a good choice for most gruops. Even normal speedruns can choose them without doing less dmg. If u play your ranger good enough.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

I am also having this same debate ATM, deciding between War and Rng for a WvW roamer.

I think warrior is probably more flexible overall. They have a lot of build variety, whereas rangers seem to have limited build selection for roaming.

I am very curious how a power based regen roaming ranger could play out with the new Zealots prefix. However, that’s a pretty steep investment for an untested build.

I’m probably leaning ever so slightly towards ranger, but I have no intent to play the character in PvE. If I did, it would probably sway my decision to warrior.

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

The problem with warrior conditioning is that it revolves around a 130 range weapon. Your only ranged conditioner (torment) is easy to avoid, the other skills are unusable. If in longbow mode your condition is significantly weaker than a ranger’s at the same range.

The advantage with warrior conditioning is that it cleaves… but this is more relevant for PvE than PvP. Except if we were to be doing PvE, a 8000 dps direct damage build is just that much more useful than a 5000 dps condition build within the same class.

Condition rangers run 4540 dps (and 3079 armor, and 22k hp) on an effective range of 900 units – and can reach at least 4000 dps fairly consistently, with zero might on them. Necros reach 4780 at a similar maximum effective range, but require 8 might to do so, and also bleed themselves for the ability to do that.

Your statement that both warriors and rangers are bad with conditions in PvE makes no sense. It is true that in general conditions in PvE are bad in the first place because of the low condition limit cap – so if that was what you meant it’s just a phrasing issue, but rangers are the top condition class against limited numbers of targets, and 3rd against larger numbers. Warriors are the 3rd best against limited numbers, and second best against large number… and necros are the best against large numbers of targets, but 2nd against limited numbers. Within conditioners, it’s one of the best.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

@Hayashi, I am very curious how those DPS numbers for ranger and Necro were derived. For my, admittedly limited, experience with ranger, it seemed to have worse condition application than a Necro. Did the numbers above take into account pet damage with 100% uptime? Also, did they include a pet that applies damaging conditions?

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Ranger are onpar with a Warrior in PvE in the hands of a capable player (i.e. not a longbow camping Bearbow, but manning up and taking Sword/X). However, if PvE groups would be PUGged, Ranger is a horrible choice as they are now deemed kick-on-sight by most.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadowbane.7109

Shadowbane.7109

at the moment warrior knows everything better. and anet wrote they wont buff ranger because they dont want to rewrite the whole mechanic. that was the point when i finaly left my ranger

When was that said? If you caould find a link it would be great since I will not bother with my ranger then.

Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling…makes no difference.
The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred.
If I’m to choose between one evil and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

All these replies and almost no mention of the pet?

If you want to play with a pet, make a ranger.

If you want to play without a pet, make a warrior.

If you make a ranger and ignore the pet, you will never match up with a warrior. A lot of times you won’t match up even with a pet, but there are situations where the pet lets you do things the warrior can’t. The pet also adds a lot of fun to the ranger, as you end up controlling two entities instead of one. I actually tend to fall asleep playing my warrior as every PvE fight is mashing the same buttons in the same order over and over again.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Shadowbane, it was in one of the previews for the patches – mid December I believe. The lead game designer said first that pets are bad (he actually said the mechanic doesn’t work) then he stated they have no plans of fixing the pet AI or altering the mechanic.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

In the current state, I would make a Warrior that uses both bow & gs.

• Its OP & always will be OP.
  • A lot of heavy armors looks as real medium armors, I would be more realistic/cooler.
  • I do not have to share my stats with a not working pet.
Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Shadowbane.7109

Shadowbane.7109

Shadowbane, it was in one of the previews for the patches – mid December I believe. The lead game designer said first that pets are bad (he actually said the mechanic doesn’t work) then he stated they have no plans of fixing the pet AI or altering the mechanic.

Thanks!

Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling…makes no difference.
The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred.
If I’m to choose between one evil and another, I’d rather not choose at all.

Ranger or warrior?

in Ranger

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I’ve made both, they are about the same in dungeons, just deal damage and spawn some banners / spirits for support. As for me, the warrior is ridiculously boring. In the end it doesn’t really matter damage wise.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”