Ranger patch notes

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

They also said we’d be getting fixes for longbow. I think we can expect to see more balance fixes going forwards, but anyone’s guess is as good as mine. Personally, I reckon rangers are better off after this patch then they’ve ever been since launch. Considering how we seem to get nerfed every patch, I wouldn’t complain if they drew the line here frankly.

remember this?

JonPeters.5630:

While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.

That was 6 months ago in reference to a patch that had no ranger fixes at all.

Also… it’s a complete CRIME that at this point pets dont remember their names when you swap. That should be basic and it completely ruins the feel of the class.

Signet cooldowns, SoS toughness, Guard cooldown, Spirits buffs…. see, JP finally delivered on his promise! Now we just have to wait six more months for the “feel/pacing on certain weapons” to be adjusted.

I think most of our weapons are fine though, i think that some of them just need some bug fixes cough longbow attack speed cough cough and then we’d be in really good shape.

Because seriously, what weapon do we have that’s -bad-? None, longbows auto attack needs love sure, but it’s still a heavily used weapon (for the utility granted).

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Bas.7406

Bas.7406

I think most of our weapons are fine though, i think that some of them just need some bug fixes cough longbow attack speed cough cough and then we’d be in really good shape.

Because seriously, what weapon do we have that’s -bad-? None, longbows auto attack needs love sure, but it’s still a heavily used weapon (for the utility granted).

LB is pretty useless in Dungeons :P. The lack of an space makes it perhaps the lease effective damage weapon we have in dungeons. In wvwvw it’s pretty awesome! In tournament play it’s solely used as a utility and even then only with specific setups.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

They also said we’d be getting fixes for longbow. I think we can expect to see more balance fixes going forwards, but anyone’s guess is as good as mine. Personally, I reckon rangers are better off after this patch then they’ve ever been since launch. Considering how we seem to get nerfed every patch, I wouldn’t complain if they drew the line here frankly.

remember this?

JonPeters.5630:

While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.

Also… it’s a complete CRIME that at this point pets dont remember their names when you swap. That should be basic and it completely ruins the feel of the class.

Signet cooldowns, SoS toughness, Guard cooldown, Spirits buffs…. see, JP finally delivered on his promise! Now we just have to wait six more months for the “feel/pacing on certain weapons” to be adjusted.

I reckon it’s used more for its tagging potential in WvW than for its actual utility, frankly, which might be misleading for the devs. My guess is that their discriminating factor for the state of a weapon is usage statistics, not forum complaints. People tend to complain more about the weapons they use then those they don’t. Remember the path of scars buff? I don’t remember anyone really complaining about that, but it got buffed (and rightfully so).

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

LB is pretty useless in Dungeons :P. The lack of an space makes it perhaps the lease effective damage weapon we have in dungeons. In wvwvw it’s pretty awesome! In tournament play it’s solely used as a utility and even then only with specific setups.

In tourney play it’s great for damage if your team is playing around you not being on the point (have done this several times for great success). In dungeons i tend to go a more supporty/control role so i wouldn’t know how well it is damage wise there i do know the KB and barrage + hunters shot are great though.

PS: Seberent did the math, at mid range (if the attack speed were .75s as advertised) the longbow would be on par with shortbow from the front.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

LB’s attack speed cannot be fast, at least not as fast as SB’s. You’re trading speed for range. The 2 bows fill different roles, you cannot buy a pickup and complain that it is not as fast as a ferrari. Have you guys actually been in WvW? That would break it, everyone will be running rangers in WvW, where there is already a huge presence of our class.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

remember this?

JonPeters.5630:

I reckon it’s used more for its tagging potential in WvW than for its actual utility, frankly, which might be misleading for the devs. My guess is that their discriminating factor for the state of a weapon is usage statistics, not forum complaints. People tend to complain more about the weapons they use then those they don’t. Remember the path of scars buff? I don’t remember anyone really complaining about that, but it got buffed (and rightfully so).

Most people who used Off Hand Axe used Off Hand Training which for w/e reason buffed the axe damage to that of what it is now, so they just removed that “buff” from the trait and made it baseline, haven’t heard a single person complain about axe since then.

I think i’m going to bring back my axe/axe + Drake build… I miss that build i ran around with in beta..

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

LB’s attack speed cannot be fast, at least not as fast as SB’s. You’re trading speed for range. The 2 bows fill different roles, you cannot buy a pickup and complain that it is not as fast as a ferrari. Have you guys actually been in WvW? That would break it, everyone will be running rangers in WvW, which there is already a huge presence of rangers.

The attack speed is currently 1.25s, i’m almost 100% positive that is THE LONGEST auto attack speed in the game, and no it wouldn’t -break- the skill because you aren’t going to be as fast as a shortbow, you’ll be a hell of a lot faster but that shortbow is still going to outshoot you, and thus out crit you/proc you.

Longbow is supposed to trade speed for slower bigger numbers, which it does, but it’s trading too much speed atm if you’re going for a damage standpoint.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Double axe ftw. Nothing makes me happier than reflecting another ranger’s rapid fire.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Double axe ftw. Nothing makes me happier than reflecting another ranger’s rapid fire.

Really? Not even reflecting a Warriors Kill Shot through their entire team (in sPvP) killing them all because their stupid glass cannons?

That’s by far the greatest moment in my GW2 experience… god how i wish i were recording for that =(

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

LB’s attack speed cannot be fast, at least not as fast as SB’s. You’re trading speed for range. The 2 bows fill different roles, you cannot buy a pickup and complain that it is not as fast as a ferrari. Have you guys actually been in WvW? That would break it, everyone will be running rangers in WvW, where there is already a huge presence of our class.

Except that the two bows have the same range with the longbow auto attack being less effective as the target gets closer… so you are trading speed for what, exactly? The opportunity to suck more? Sounds good.

If LB was 1500 inherently to the SB’s 1200 you’d have a point.

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Hmm, looks like an ok patch. Really not going to change my build much though. Might actually swap in SotW instead of SotH now in zergs that’s about it.

Kind of surprised that there’s no LB buff. They said a few weeks back that they wanted to focus on the weapons first, the utilities then traits. I guess all these utility changes is actually from the infamous Nov patch?

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

You forgot rangers and traited LB is the ONLY player attack capable of hitting at 1800 range. That is majorly huge in WvW.

LB’s attack speed cannot be fast, at least not as fast as SB’s. You’re trading speed for range. The 2 bows fill different roles, you cannot buy a pickup and complain that it is not as fast as a ferrari. Have you guys actually been in WvW? That would break it, everyone will be running rangers in WvW, which there is already a huge presence of rangers.

The attack speed is currently 1.25s, i’m almost 100% positive that is THE LONGEST auto attack speed in the game, and no it wouldn’t -break- the skill because you aren’t going to be as fast as a shortbow, you’ll be a hell of a lot faster but that shortbow is still going to outshoot you, and thus out crit you/proc you.

Longbow is supposed to trade speed for slower bigger numbers, which it does, but it’s trading too much speed atm if you’re going for a damage standpoint.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

You forgot rangers and traited LB is the ONLY player attack capable of hitting at 1800 1500 range. That is majorly huge in WvW.

Fixed that for ya. And no, other classes have 1500 skills also.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

You forgot rangers and traited LB is the ONLY player attack capable of hitting at 1800 1500 range. That is majorly huge in WvW.

No, he’s right, it’s 1800, buffed up to almost 2k when on wall shooting someone off the wall (arrows gain range when you’re higher up just like in GW1), barrage is the only skill that doesn’t increase.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

Yep I’m done with this game, and I see Chopps is confused on who to troll first.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

No, he’s right, it’s 1800, buffed up to almost 2k when on wall shooting someone off the wall (arrows gain range when you’re higher up just like in GW1), barrage is the only skill that doesn’t increase.

You’re wrong, but I don’t have the energy to mess with you theorycrafting people today. This was tested, and shown to be wrong, but you still spout off the nonsense.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

Longbow would be just about right if it was as fast as the tool tip shows. The only other thing I would do is change the #4 skill so that if your target is outside of the knockback range it becomes crippling shot.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Drake HP doubled

Still next to useless in PvP.
You can’t swap for a quickness F2, it literally won’t work.
Either it just sits there staring at you or will cast the skill, putting it on CD, without facing the target and all the shots will go threw anyone they happen to hit, netting no dmg….

That and if anyone walks out of the 600 range cone cast (by moving threw the pet or just out of the range), with like a dodge roll after the skill starts casting… it fails…
The pet is just a complete mess in PvP.

I desperately wanted to throw it in my more pet focused protect me/barkskin build… but it just doesn’t seem to cut it.
Kinda ruins the build too.

(edited by garethh.3518)

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Has anyone tested to see if the pet reduced F2 cooldowns with the improved AI pathing, actually allow them to hit moving targets now?

Honestly… 2 seconds vs 1.5 seconds… not the big of a change. If they werent hitting moving targets before, 0.5 second difference isnt going to help. Unless of course, there was some bug in the code, due to it being 2 seconds, that was causing it.

I honestly dont think pets will be able to hit moving targets with their F2 until the cooldown is instant, due to shoddy programming on anets part. Heck, they miss a lot of their instant autattacks as it is if the target is moving. Maybe the pet AI pathing will have fixed this. Ill keep my fingers crossed, but will not trust to hope…. there are other things on the horizon, and anet is quickly losing the chance to get my money from any future expansions or gem sales if they keep their current track record so stagnant.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

@Jk

FTFY

Yep, I’m done with this game and I see Chopps is confused on who to troll first.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Seyyah.6135

Seyyah.6135

basically this patch translates for me as… “ok we are clearly telling you that you MUST play beastmaster… no you wont get rid of the silly pet… no we wont improve it to a reasonable state for non beastmasters… we just named the class ranger for **** and giggles…”

all that remains now i am waiting for those pro-forum-troll-rangers come here and educate me…

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

You’re wrong, but I don’t have the energy to mess with you theorycrafting people today. This was tested, and shown to be wrong, but you still spout off the nonsense.

Which aspect? Because unless something was changed recently you can still attack from above 1500 (about 1800 not exactly, but w/e).

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

I’m currently testing the spirits in Southsun Cove using all 3 spirit traits in the Nature Magic traitline. At the moment, I’m very disappointed with them.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

I’m currently testing the spirits in Southsun Cove using all 3 spirit traits in the Nature Magic traitline. At the moment, I’m very disappointed with them.

Expect more love for spirits in the future, they said in the SoTG that spirits need more love than they’re getting this patch.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

basically this patch translates for me as… “ok we are clearly telling you that you MUST play beastmaster… no you wont get rid of the silly pet… no we wont improve it to a reasonable state for non beastmasters… we just named the class ranger for **** and giggles…”

all that remains now i am waiting for those pro-forum-troll-rangers come here and educate me…

There is no need for any education. Your vision of a Ranger clearly does not agree with the Dev’s vision of a Ranger (and they’ve stated many times that they will not get rid of the pet). Clearly, this is a difference that can’t be reconciled. Cut your losses and stop playing this class.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

I’m still of the opinion that Spirits need a flat out redesign, Putting Duck Tape on a failing building is not going to fix the problem

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Aridia.3042

Err no, it’s not even close to 2k. Maybe 1600/1700 if that.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

Signet of Stone is now worth taking. It now gives the Ranger +180 Toughness too

After 3 hits of around 1,200 damage, my spirit was a little below 50% hp. So let’s just round up and say 3,600 damage was 50% of their hp. That would mean they have 7,200 hp … when traited with Vigorous Spirits to have “twice as much health”.

Anyone want to whisper me and head out to the mists with some steady weapons to test this? Surely this isn’t right.

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

meh better than nothing but to be honest I feel like my warrior got more loving than my ranger…

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyops.5894

Tyops.5894

I’m still of the opinion that Spirits need a flat out redesign, Putting Duck Tape on a failing building is not going to fix the problem

Duct tape has been their #1 tool for fixing the ranger all this time.

It’s not as though they dont know how to fix trait lines, I mean… just look at the Warrior. They clearly know how to do it.

NSP Why bother?….

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Be careful what you guys wish for. I have an engineer. Anet’s idea of balancing them is to nerf every good build, so that all are equally bad, therefor creating build diversity. Expect this to happen to you if they focus on your class.

(edited by danbuter.2314)

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Sebrent.3625

You mean the warrior that got a 10 points trait that allows them to now get 98% reduced duration on chill, cripple, and immobilize?

• Dogged March : -33% duration on chill, cripple, and immobilize.
  • Superior Runes of Melandru: -25% duration on conditions and stuns
  • Bowl of Lemongrass Poultry Soup: -40% duration on conditions

33 + 25 + 40 = 98

So…
-98% duration on chill, cripple, and immobilize
-65% duration on all other conditions
-25% duration on stuns

Yeah … I’m a tad jealous … especially given their balanced stance and balanced stance trait if they want to go really crazy with this.

Better yourself.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Ranger

Pets now out sustain Warriors.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Pedra.4381

Pedra.4381

If skillfully done, duct tape can give the appearance of a fix.

JonPeters.5630:]I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement…

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Tyops.5894

Tyops.5894

Boon hate could have been a nice way to give rangers at least some DPS against certain classes.

It’s just a little odd.

The way ANet is approaching this, ranger is a pet class… literally.

When you play a ranger, you are the pet. The actual player is becoming more and more just a vehicle to puppeteer a powerful pet around. It’s just really odd and out of proportion.

NSP Why bother?….

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Gadzooks.4687

Gadzooks.4687

Ranger is a pet class… as in…whatever other class we are grouped with, we are their pets.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Seems pretty good so far.
Now:
-Rework spirit actives and storm spirit passive(mby fury on attack?)
-Make Search and Rescue ground targetted
-Make Longbow 1 a 100% projectile finisher(much like the slightly slower attacking staff earth auto from ele) and increase projectile speed by 20%

And the skills of the class will be good enough, so you can look into traits for a bit.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Minor buff to QZ, not sure how pet buff will work, but initial CoE run is looking grim…
Other than that nothing of importance for me. All in all it’s as I would’ve expected, neither glad nor dissapointed. And no balancing next patch…it really will take a year to get to a good state…

And ANet, no matter how much you try and push it I will not play beastmaster…unless you rename the class to it.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: jan.9745

jan.9745

What happen here is they upgrade all class. So nothing special. What I got is a heartache, disappointed and jealous to other class. I W8 this for to long hoping that ranger will have advantage to other but its like nothing.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

jan.9745

This patch is more favour for thief and engineer.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Am I the only one who sees the irony in improving the toughness for pets, and then in the same patch, add a dungeon where pets get completely destroyed by AoE damage?

Well, at least we are heading in the right direction now..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Durzlla.6295

Am I the only one who sees the irony in improving the toughness for pets, and then in the same patch, add a dungeon where pets get completely destroyed by AoE damage?

Stop usin a cat? My wolf and drake have been staying up quite easily in that new dungeon, intact Bubbles face tanked the last boss for us now that he has perma prot…

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I didn’t have any problems keeping my pet alive in that dungeon. Then again, we had a full AoE specced group. We were wiping them so easily. Nobody died at all, not even against the boss. 2 engineers, an ele, a warrior, and me (ranger).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Not a great patch, but not bad- at least they didn’t nerf us much this time.

reducing F2 skill from 2.5 seconds to 1.5 or 1.75…doesn’t help at all, the target is still 3000 range away by the time the skill has finally got around to casting. THEY NEED TO BE INSTANT, we’ve said it often enough, otherwise unless your target is a complete idiot it’s pointless trying.

No weapon improvements, so when your pets are downed by aoe (in 2 seconds now instead of 1.5…) we’re still severely kitten and still nothing to help when firing from or up onto walls.

Signets..mhhh, not great changes but small improvements.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

Nope.
It actually bufs Rangers in an area, where they previously lacked: Dungeons and large scale fights.
That Guard buff coupled with the pet def buff is simply huge.

The Signet buffs are nice overall.

It is actually a big thing for Rangers, as it will allow them to be more viable in every part of the game.

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: dallywolf.1906

dallywolf.1906

At least I don’t feel like Rangers were completely ignored in this patch and it is a step in the right direction with making pets more viable. The SnR nerf seems like they just went for the easy coding fix instead of digging in and making it work as it was intended.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Overall, nice changes in the right direction. If they had fixed the longbow they would have gone a long way towards making the ranged Ranger a competitive profession.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

jan.9745

Nope.
It actually bufs Rangers in an area, where they previously lacked: Dungeons and large scale fights.
That Guard buff coupled with the pet def buff is simply huge.

The Signet buffs are nice overall.

It is actually a big thing for Rangers, as it will allow them to be more viable in every part of the game.

You don’t get me. what i want to say is like
( the better makes more better = to other class)
( the worse makes better = to ranger)
Lol if i know there is class that have unblockable skill now.
Hope ranger have unblockable projectile too.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

“Summoned creatures and pets can no longer draw aggro from enemies that have not already aggroed on their master.”

That will make ninja’ing chests harder.

Ranger patch notes

in Ranger

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Doesn’t mean you can’t actually throw the pet at them yourself.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald