Ranger pet dodge and pool of f4s

in Ranger

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

Hello all, I’ve been looking at some ranger buffs recently and been keeping a eye on the class. New pet being able to lay down a smoke field, vulnerability on storm spirit, June 23rd patch etc. However, I feel one thing still holds back the ranger class a lot. The pet, it just eats up damage like a boss until it just falls over dead in PvE. Since the ranger pet is a good amount of the rangers DPS, when it dies, so does the rangers already not so impressive DPS.

So my suggestion is, why not have the pet evade when you dodge? Now there are 2 potential problems to this. The first is making a dodge animation for all the pets would definitely take some time and potentially look clunky. The second is, you might want to dodge yourself but have your pet still DPS away. My solution to these two problems would be to have a type of mesmer blur effect instead of an actual dodge for the pet. That way you don’t need to create new animations and your pet can still happily DPS away while you dodge.

My second suggestion is definitely a lot smaller, but still nice in my opinion. One thing that is a seller point for ranger is having some pretty cool looking pets. The problem arises when you want to take say a Snow Leopard when a Jaguar is more effective. So why not make it so all pets of the same family have a pool of f2s to choose from? To unlock a f2 you still have to go unlock the corresponding pet, but from then on all the other pets of the same family can use the ability in its f2 slot if you so desire.

So what are your opinions on these suggestions? Good? Terrible? Both?

EDIT: realized it’s F2 I was talking about not F4 lol

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

(edited by TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275)

in Ranger

Posted by: Avala.9675

Avala.9675

Well that same family F4 skill sharing is not a bad idea. It might bring some customization to the table but then again it might have some small problems in pvp.
Then again its from the same family so there aint that many skills to choose from and most of them do the same stuff with different flavor.

I have seen a lot of posts regarding pet dodge at the same time ranger does wich is not a bad idea.
however personally i would put it on F3 (Return to me) and give it lets say 6sec cd.
That way you put a bit more micro stuff on the pet(ranger) and you dont have to sacrifice your own precious dodge rolls to save your melee punchbag(pet) from 1 shot stuff

in Ranger

Well that same family F4 skill sharing is not a bad idea. It might bring some customization to the table but then again it might have some small problems in pvp.
Then again its from the same family so there aint that many skills to choose from and most of them do the same stuff with different flavor.

I have seen a lot of posts regarding pet dodge at the same time ranger does wich is not a bad idea.
however personally i would put it on F3 (Return to me) and give it lets say 6sec cd.
That way you put a bit more micro stuff on the pet(ranger) and you dont have to sacrifice your own precious dodge rolls to save your melee punchbag(pet) from 1 shot stuff

Yeah, I was thinking of endurance or something for the pet, but the problem is if your both want to dodge now you have to hit both f3 and whatever you have keybinded for your dodge which is annoying. And in PvE most of the time you want your pet to dodge you want to dodge also. Not to mention ranger has a evade on sword 3 and a block on GS so it’s OK to sacrifice a dodge for your pet.

EDIT: What problems would this cause in PvP? It just means that the enemy doesn’t automatically know what your f4 is once seeing the pet. But even then most times the fear on wolf is taken and whatnot so you can basically assume they have it. And they can still dodge the animation. If nothing else this is a slight slight buff to a under powered class in pvp

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

in Ranger

Avala.9675

Yeah that is what i ment with the pvp problem and true its not that big of a deal.

And about using dodge at the same time, well they could just make it last 1sec or something so you can just use the (F3:Return to me) first and when the stuff hits you just dodge your self.
Yes rangers do have dodges and block out side of endurance. But if the pet would dodge at the same time you do then your own weapon choices would be how to get evades outside of endurance so that you can actually keep that pet alive and that might limit some of the stuff you can do.
And i would gladly use my sword 3 evade on something if that thing would be a bit more userfriendly

in Ranger

Yeah that is what i ment with the pvp problem and true its not that big of a deal.

And about using dodge at the same time, well they could just make it last 1sec or something so you can just use the (F3:Return to me) first and when the stuff hits you just dodge your self.
Yes rangers do have dodges and block out side of endurance. But if the pet would dodge at the same time you do then your own weapon choices would be how to get evades outside of endurance so that you can actually keep that pet alive and that might limit some of the stuff you can do.
And i would gladly use my sword 3 evade on something if that thing would be a bit more userfriendly

In PvE, and especially raids, I’m saying it would be a little harder to press 2 buttons to save yourself and your pet than 1 if the animation of the attack is quick. And I think only dodges should give this blur type effect on the pet not say sword evades if I didn’t make that clear. The thing is, 99% of the time in PvE when you want to dodge so do you want your pet to dodge. I don’t know about PvP, but I would imagine it would be hard to focus on both you and your pet and then press two buttons if your both going to get hit otherwise. That’s my only problem with giving the pet a separate skill to dodge with.

/s

in Ranger

Avala.9675

In PvE, and especially raids, I’m saying it would be a little harder to press 2 buttons to save yourself and your pet than 1. And I think only dodges should give this blur type effect on the pet not say sword evades if I didn’t make that clear. The thing is, 99% of the time in PvE you want to dodge so do you want your pet to dodge. I don’t know about PvP, but I would imagine it would be hard to focus on both you and your pet and then press two buttons if your both going to get hit otherwise. That’s my only problem with giving the pet a separate skill to dodge with.

Yeah i get that its a bit harder to use if it would be 2 buttons instead of one.
yes 99% in pve atm you would like your pet to dodge at the same time you do, but since the raids are coming and whatnot if there happens to be stuff like huge hit comes to melee where you pet is and you use dodge to save your pet from it (assuming swap is on cd) and right after that comes something to range where you happen to be and you need to dodge that too, then comes a third strike for whole area or something and you are now out of endurance and both of you die (unless you use some weapon that has dodge/block).
So while it would be harder to use different buttons for you and your pet to dodge
it would not handicap ranger to choose only melee pets when you are in melee and ranged pets when you are in range assuming you run with something like longbow+staff (druid) ofc there are utilities allso and stuff like that but im pretty sure id rather have the pet die at that point than try to get utilities or weapons for the sole purpose of keeping it alive

in Ranger

In PvE, and especially raids, I’m saying it would be a little harder to press 2 buttons to save yourself and your pet than 1. And I think only dodges should give this blur type effect on the pet not say sword evades if I didn’t make that clear. The thing is, 99% of the time in PvE you want to dodge so do you want your pet to dodge. I don’t know about PvP, but I would imagine it would be hard to focus on both you and your pet and then press two buttons if your both going to get hit otherwise. That’s my only problem with giving the pet a separate skill to dodge with.

Yeah i get that its a bit harder to use if it would be 2 buttons instead of one.
yes 99% in pve atm you would like your pet to dodge at the same time you do, but since the raids are coming and whatnot if there happens to be stuff like huge hit comes to melee where you pet is and you use dodge to save your pet from it (assuming swap is on cd) and right after that comes something to range where you happen to be and you need to dodge that too, then comes a third strike for whole area or something and you are now out of endurance and both of you die (unless you use some weapon that has dodge/block).
So while it would be harder to use different buttons for you and your pet to dodge
it would not handicap ranger to choose only melee pets when you are in melee and ranged pets when you are in range assuming you run with something like longbow+staff (druid) ofc there are utilities allso and stuff like that but im pretty sure id rather have the pet die at that point than try to get utilities or weapons for the sole purpose of keeping it alive

The thing is with your example is why wouldn’t you want to dodge that first time anyhow so that you don’t die? And anyway, if you know your up against a particularly tough boss and your pet gets targeted by a single target skill you can just let the pet eat it rather than waist a dodge for it. But I think those cases would be few. I like your suggestion, but its just I’m afraid especially in raids it would be harder for the ranger than other classes because it has to press two buttons compared to one. Still, I would gladly take your idea over how it is currently haha.

/s

in Ranger

Avala.9675

The thing is with your example is why wouldn’t you want to dodge that first time anyhow so that you don’t die? And anyway, if you know your up against a particularly tough boss and your pet gets targeted by a single target skill you can just let the pet eat it rather than waist a dodge for it. But I think those cases would be few. I like your suggestion, but its just I’m afraid especially in raids it would be harder for the ranger than other classes because it has to press two buttons compared to one. Still, I would gladly take your idea over how it is currently haha.

Well yeah i would allso gladly take your idea over how it is currently
All we can do is hope i gues ^^

in Ranger

Well yeah i would allso gladly take your idea over how it is currently
All we can do is hope i gues ^^

1 year later…. still hoping! 2 years later… must…be…soon. 3 years later….. screw it I’m rerolling! Haha.

/s