Ranger pet retooling

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Talmor.9048

Talmor.9048

I have been an avid ranger supporter since day 1. I have had pretty much one ton since that day and have tried everything to make Rangers work. Mind you most of my experience comes from PVE and dungeons. 6 months later it was wvwvw. I have tried most of the builds out there. But my chief issue is with wvwvw. I started playing organized wvwvw in 10 to 15 person groups but with the warrior class. Now that I am 80 with both toons I realize how handicapped the average warrior is compared to the average Ranger. Granted, there are excellent Rangers out there, but I am not one of them. It all comes down to the pet mechanic for many people.

My idea is simple. Make the pet invulnerable and untargetable. Essentially a walking banner. If you want to, go ahead and reduce the damage a bit, but frankly outside of AI not many people will go after a pet as it is. You already let warriors have a pet that can be moved and is invulnerable, so why can’t the Ranger?

And while I am at it, why in the world is the default for active signets to not work on players? Seems kinda backwards to me.

- Farstrike
Dragon Brand

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Detharos.3157

Detharos.3157

Edit: Actually I take back everything I said. The pets need just a few small things: Melee pets need to be able to attack while moving simultaneously and every one of them from drake to dog to cat needs a massive speed charge w/ cripple to close the distances skilled players with high mobility create.

Ranged pets need damage buffs, especially the devourers need a rebuild. There’s literally almost no benefit to rolling devourer when compared to spider. Both have a higher hit ratio than melee pets atm due to having 900 range attacks, but neither have the damage to drop targets on non-berserkerish bursty builds. (I’m not talking full tank builds to be clear here, but our half-and-half builds meet far less success because of poor pet AI than other classes in tankiness-damage ratios, that cannot be denied.) We just don’t get that ideal balance that so many other classes can enjoy.

Moas need to heal properly. It’s kitten y atm and ruined by bad AI.

Pigs need to give you an item instantly with forage.

Just about every f2 needs to cast faster as well. There’s still very little ability for the ranger and the pet to synchronize their attacks well. Ever tried landing a drake f2 on a skilled player who’s assessed it as a threat? Virtually impossible as they merely need to break your stun and run behind it before it’s cast time finishes. Don’t even need to waste endurance dodging it. >_>

Dathaul, 80 Melee Ranger
Ferguson’s Crossing server.

(edited by Detharos.3157)

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Problem is, a lot of that is stuff they can’t fix either because it isn’t possible or is just too much work.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/December-10th-Ranger-changes/page/8#post3162139

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

This is a terrible suggestion. What we need is more AI options for the pet.

Also, the AI can be kited way too easily even by melee classes.

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

what we need,,, is a favorably reworked master bond in order to keep the stack of stat longuer on the pet or a return of the signet of the beastmaster Open beta day 1 regeneration wich arena net nerfed shortly after because it was to strong (you used to be able to out-tank damage with the signet alone and im not talking about having a regeneration buff stacked with it.)

as for the kiting ill remind you longbow gives increased movement speed wich stacks with ‘’sic em’’ and likely turn your pet into Sonic the hedgehog. Longbow is an exelent tool to beast mastery especialy because of barrage lovely abillity to multi hit

Other option would be to double the stat gain from beast mastery trait point for the pet or at least give it the ability to gain critical damage bonus from the master. As it is right now the only thing that realy hold pet classes from behing exelent DPS is the fact that their pet does not gain bonus damage from critical strike. How about you redo the +30% critical damage on crit skirmish trait and replace it with (your pet now gains your value of critical damage) so to make critical damage ranger a viable build.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

(edited by kyubi.3620)

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Waste of time to come up with fixes , the devs already stated they can’t bother fixing pets since it would require some actual work.

All is vain.

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

Pets should never have been the class mechanic in the first place. I said it right after ranger was revealed, and the past year has cemented this opinion pretty firmly in my mind. That they couldn’t be bothered to give GW1 rangers a place in this game says a lot.

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

GW 1 rangers? you mean the toucher or the scythe spammers? Most rangers in GW 1 didnt even use bow in the first place. I for myself was using spear shield with a beast mastery build (gota love seeing my bear tank duncan).

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I feel like some of the pet problems could be addressed by allowing Rangers to see and manipulate the pet’s entire skill bar, as was the case with Heroes in the original Guild Wars. It would be more micromanagement and possibly a larger migraine, but it would also give Rangers much more discretion over the way their pets function.

If they worked it in such a way where you could prioritize the pet’s skills—or put them on a queue—and essentially give every pet a skill rotation, I think that would be the ideal. That’s just my opinion, however.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

what about these new spells they talked about. maybe if they gave some actual pet striking skill like in GW 1?… ah i miss brutal strike sweet sweet 180 spammable damage.

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

GW 1 rangers? you mean the toucher or the scythe spammers? Most rangers in GW 1 didnt even use bow in the first place. I for myself was using spear shield with a beast mastery build (gota love seeing my bear tank duncan).

While they were limited in options, bow rangers in PvP were really good. Long range combined with good mobility, survivability, disruption, and condition spreading was useful in essentially any PvP arena you could think of. While the options were fewer in PvE, there were still some pretty good bow builds. Splinter barrage was effective, and some turret builds worked for single target damage (although they did suffer a hit when Asuran Scan was changed). I do think the nerfs across the board to bow damage in PvP was extremely stupid, especially given to what they did to Mesmers.

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

If you mean the Vision of regret becoming the main in domination control or energy drain build that litteraly killed people ill just answer mesmer was always the dev team favorite.

While i do agree interupt rangers in pvp where actualy usefull to keep the monkey shut down they werent much of a damaging build to actualy do REAL damage mainly because it was condition based. As rangers you had to run beast mastery or a defrent class weapon (aka ranger daggers and scythe) to deal true numbers. However in guild wars 2 most of the interupts are gone and bow rangers can no longuer spec a whole skill bar into interupt spells

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

Unholy Pillager.3791

If you mean the Vision of regret becoming the main in domination control or energy drain build that litteraly killed people ill just answer mesmer was always the dev team favorite.

While i do agree interupt rangers in pvp where actualy usefull to keep the monkey shut down they werent much of a damaging build to actualy do REAL damage mainly because it was condition based. As rangers you had to run beast mastery or a defrent class weapon (aka ranger daggers and scythe) to deal true numbers. However in guild wars 2 most of the interupts are gone and bow rangers can no longuer spec a whole skill bar into interupt spells

Not VoR, I’m talking about the change to ‘purple elementalist’. In PvP, everyone was running E-Surge, other e-denial and wastrel’s/wastrel’s, both denying enemies their skills (disruption, sort of) and dealing tons of armor ignoring damage. Meanwhile, rangers get nerfed into one (effective, but still limiting) build because being able to interrupt and damage would be ‘overpowered’. Hell, at least interrupting takes skill…e-denial w/w mesmers just had to copy/paste the build and hit the buttons in the right order. Not to mention all the kitten I saw with E/P support/air spike builds. But no, it’s a team of rangers with a blockable, projectile-based spike that’s the real problem according to ANet.

Ranger pet retooling

in Ranger

kyubi.3620

thats what i meant with energy draining build you know