Ranger pets are useless for several reasons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ripjaxx.7149

Ripjaxx.7149

Hi, iam here just want to give my opinions for ranger weaknesses.

Ive been playing as hunter on WoW and then i retired playing WoW and jump on GW2 as ranger here i just want to talk about weaknesses as ranger on GW2, theres some dissapointment on ranger class that ive been playing on it.

1. ranger doesnt have quiver (bad animation)
2. ranger pets are useless on pve or boss fights, when they got hit by aoe damage they instantly dying by 1 aoe attack or more, (too weak for several reason)
3. beastmastery traits is useless when ranger’s pet instantly die

Hmmm maybe thats all ive seen on GW2 if u have more opinion or dissapointment u can reply on this thread for a better future for GW2 gameplay

in Ranger

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

All your points are commonly discussed issues in this forum and you can easily find other threads with lots of discussion in them.

I do miss how pets can attack on the move in that game, they really feel like an extension of your character. But GW2 ranger just feels more agile and intuitive in combat—partly due to less skill clutter and how the combat mechanics work in GW2.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kellie.3687

Kellie.3687

I love my pets in pve, and have little issue looking after them through out during trash pulls in explorable, however unless I am running Bears, Devourers or Spiders they will die to random area of effect damage, fairly often I can pull Cats and Birds back out before AOES hit them, however it kind of defeats the point of having a damage pet out, that instantly dies if it is in combat for any real duration.

Even Bears take high damage, and need constant pulling around to keep them alive, but it gets to the point where I have to ask, the point of controlling a pet to keep it alive so that it can do no damage while running back and forth.

I could understand it if my pet had the main threat, and getting its fluffy face smashed in, that it may die fairly often, but why must my pets die to sneezes not even directed towards them. I can only switch my pet every 16s and its a 50/50 that my pet will come back to me when I am spamming “f3”, I don’t mind that I have to play two players when playing a ranger, but please give us the tools to properly manage our pets, Allow us to Re-bind Passive to another key, as well as store pet, make the keys take priority over all pet attacks, and increase their passive movement speed by 15% so when specing with the extra 30% they can move at 45% speed, if its an issue just remove the passive 15% from pvp.

Pets really do need some love right now, and saying they are fine is rather odd, when using a very few of the “vast” selection of pets that we do have is the norm. And please stop Grubs spawning on pets during Lupicus, I don’t even know why it does in the first place other than to screw over melee ranger pets and the 5 point necro death magic trait line.

I don’t mind boss fights having an ideal pet to use, in fact its apart of the game I imagine, apart from the fact that the vast majority of pets are useless during boss encounters. Please in the future have a little fore sight with the boss encounters, and make sure they do not remove the use of 32 out of the 39 pets available on land. Having a melee pet out should always be an option, if you do not want people to have the option to run a melee pet, I would suggest adding more ranged pets, because the 7 current choices could really use fluffing out if you want the vast majority of fights to be using ranged pets.

I hope this does not sound too much like a rant, I just have very little hope that such a fix as reducing AOE damage to pets will come at any point in the near future, mainly because of how attacks work in this game. I do love my ranger, and will be sticking with it through any future difficulty’s, even if it means ending up playing an auto attack class that watches its pet die from enemy wet farts.

in Ranger

Posted by: YumCHA.8706

YumCHA.8706

All the pets needs in terms of survivability is an increase in defence and vitality. That or lower the monsters attack power, which we all know will not happen.

As for its offences. Fix the A.I. pathing when chasing down targets ensuring the best possibility to deal damage instantaneously especially at point of contact. This would only apply for melee pets. Ranged pets are fine in my opinion. Maybe a slight increase in their range attacks might make them more versatile.

Rangetastic, 80 Ranger | Archers United [ARC]
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by YumCHA.8706)

in Ranger

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

I think an activated (and overriding) pet dodge would be great.

I saw in another thread someone suggested making the pets dodge when the ranger dodges. That would do, and it would save another keybind, but it would also make them look like they were rehearsing for a musical and you’d have to warn your party before dodging in case anyone were to be sipping coffee while you dodged.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

L2p..pets arent useless.You are all just stucked with the previous mmo (cough…WoW…cough) you were playing and you wanted to play a clone proffession..
They got issues in pathing and avoiding some aoe dmg but they are awesome.
And just change your philosophy in pets.They are not a constant dmg over time in this game
In this game pets do a lot dmg as a reward for your skill.Thats why ppl whine all the time for pets and other things.
They dont improve their skills they want to be awesome just by playing and gathering gear

in Ranger

Posted by: Haya jii san.1978

Haya jii san.1978

@Dardamaniac : Instead of spamming “L2p” like a pathetic troll try instead to embrace the problems we have with the class, as well as with pets, that being our class mechanic. If you think they work “OK” then posts like :
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Pet-overhaul/first#post633518 would not exist. Show some respect to the community and maybe you gonna get some in return!

in Ranger

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

hmm ranger pets are fine imo and pretty much pve wise they keep me alive so im thankful anet even put pets for the ranger as for my other classes i have lmao i wish i had a pet to tank for me and take damage while i just destroy hordes of mobs with barrage xD

in Ranger

Haya jii san.1978

@Lordryux : I would like to say many things to the likes of you, but i won’t do you this favor. Either play a level 80 Ranger in all aspects of the game or keep your ignorant opinion to yourself, while “destroying hordes of mobs with bar(ga)r(b)age

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

honestly; the only problems i have with pets is; melee ones can be kited so easily and the wind up time of some f2 abilities are terrible (if they activate at all)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i love how you called them a kiddo… but used ‘txtspeek’…

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Ranger

Posted by: Skolvikings.5132

Skolvikings.5132

I play PvE (including Orr DEs and dragons), dungeons, and WvWvW. I use birds and they’re generally awesome. The birds rarely die and do a lot of damage.

in Ranger

Haya jii san.1978

@Skolvikings : It would be true that birds have fewer issues with their pathing, but since they are still pets, they as well tend to suffer from relevant pet problems.

Just remember that around half of the posts we see nowdays in the Ranger forums are about pets and their bug-full current state. It doesn’t matter what one thinks about it, when posts like : https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Ranger-pets-are-useless-for-several-reasons/first#post633864 still exist, trying to make those issues known and monitored.

As for my fellow cave troll up there, just remember … :
Where ignorance is bliss, ’Tis folly to be wise

in Ranger

Posted by: Luriyu.6873

Luriyu.6873

i’ve been running Fern hound and Wolf, in a 1v1 or 2v1 situation my wolves help out with their howls, and if i can get my slow in they definitely do damage.

their knock down attack is absolutely fantastic in a duel. and so is the fear and healing effects.