Ranger's Appeal

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

Hello everyone I made a similar thread in the Warrior forum and it had a great turn out (aside from the little bit of arguing that occurred). I’m hoping for a similar effect here.

I will be making topics in the other profession forums as well because I want to aggregate all the comments and the best way to do so would be to post in each profession’s individual forum instead of just placing it in Players Helping Players because the professions’ forums get more traffic and are filled with players most knowledgeable about that particular profession!

Anyways, now with that out of the way I would like to know: What makes the Ranger appealing to you?

Why do you enjoy playing the profession? It could be based on its theme or for other gameplay reasons, perhaps you enjoy the diverse amount of options available to the profession? Tell me anything and everything!

To me, the Ranger is the kind of hunter I’ve always envisioned in an RPG. While I don’t necessarily agree with having to be tied to pets, there’s a lot I love about the Ranger. Wielding bows on a Ranger is the most satisfying compared to other bow-wielding professions. I also enjoy how they do have a slight theme of utilizing potions and greatly enjoy the finesse they demonstrate when using sword/dagger. It really makes me feel adaptable when I’m playing one and I just really enjoy that theme on the Ranger.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

The things that make my sylvari ranger appealing are the brown bear that’s always on my side and longbow skills #2 and #4.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

I love Ranger, bows and survival in nature. So the Ranger is my #1 lorewise.

I like his traps, his long and shortbow-style and i like the setting of his spirits too (but never play them cause they are too weak :P)

The ranger is for me the feeling of freedom, justice and do the best of what you get (not being a muscular-super-warrior or a studied mage with high mana-power) Be normal guy and do your best to survive in harsh world and help where help is needed. That’s the feeling

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Pets
Naming your pets

Pet stats independent of Ranger stats allowing for more flexibility in builds (glass ranger + glass pet, tanky ranger + glass pet, glass ranger + CC pet, etc.)

When you are CC’d, it’s not 100% of you that is CC’d … your pet is usually still doing its thing.

When you are downed, it’s not 100% of you that is downed … your pet is still there trying to get them downed because downed Ranger versus downed non-Ranger is a win for the Ranger ;-)

Your pets tanking for you and/or your party.

Multiple Viable Builds
Some classes currently feel pigeon-holed into a few builds. While Ranger can feel pigeon-holed into some traits for various builds … there are several viable builds.

CC Chaining
Rangers are very good at it. If you take two canines, some CC utilities, and a few of our weapons with CC … you can ruin someone’s day.

The Community
Aside from a few that seem to be trolling the Ranger Forums (we all recognize them from their posts) … the community is pretty darn good. I have even had more in-game messages from other Rangers that have continued into us chatting whenever we see each other online than from any other subforum.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Noein.1685

Noein.1685

I hate bow classes, in every game. But the ranger is the only class in this game i have stuck with. An axe is as far as i’ll go in the ranged department.There’s just something amazingly fun about swinging around a giant greatsword with my pet in tow. When it was announced what weapons the ranger was able to use during the beta i knew it was the class for me.

/age……..970 days, no regrets.

That which has no life.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I’m always drawn to the nature mage arcehtype and the beastmaster archetype. In some ways ranger is the combination of both. I’m a very outdoorsy person in real life and that carries over to the sort of themes I’m attracted to in games. I nearly always play a druid, or as close to one as I can get.

It’s why I almost always play beastmaster and spirit builds despite them not being optimal anymore. I just love the flavor of it. I’m also very fond of the wilderness survivalist character type, which is why the first ranger build I really fell in love with was the trapper ranger.

Once the druid specialization is available, whatever it may bring, I’ll almost certainly have one of my two rangers choose that as well. I’m very excited to take my character’s relationship with nature to the next level.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I always love nature themed classes, especially if pets and bows are involved. I also like all the versatility that the ranger has at its finger tips. It’s not as much as an ele may have (sadly), but it’s certainly noticeable enough that it makes me thoroughly enjoy the profession.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

So many reasons.

- The Nature Archetype
- High damage Bows but also great melee.
- Evasion
- Animal Companion
- Jack of all Trades / Adaptability
- Positioning and tactics are important
- Can be a very fluid playstyle, S/D can be a real dance when you pull it off right.
- Easy to play, hard to play well

GW1 was the first MMO I played and GW2 is the 2nd. Ranger is quite different this time around, but also a lot of similarities. It’s too bad a LOT of our GW1 skills were given to other classes this time too.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

As a (almost exclusively) WvW player, I main guardian, so ranger appeals because I can actually kill enemies using it.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

I love the archer archetype in every game – so i was actually a bit disappointed that GW2 ranger didn’t work as a viable archer for so long. I still enjoyed the class, but after longbow became viable, i had my wish.
Plus, I enjoy that even as a full berserker the class isn’t as squishy as some other classes.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

i just like ranger because it barely requires skill to dominate others with so i use my ranger for wvw farming and because its the only profession with over 1900 range.

Ranger's Appeal

in Ranger

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

I am Rapid fire, the number two transformed.

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.