Ranger's worst pet

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

Nominate worst ranger pet so far.
I will start the ball rolling jaguar it’s stealth really doesn’t serve a purpose.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Tie between black widow and white raven. Will we see them finally fixed on the 15th? Stay tuned…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Sleepy.2647

Sleepy.2647

Jaguar stealth has a purpose, it increases crit ratio or so i’ve been told.

Imo, ranged pets are the most useless, mainly spiders (besides their root), they deal low damage and spiders simply die too fast.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

Jaguar’s stealth ensures a almost guaranteed crit….its good for burst damage..its actually quite good.

I would say the pigs and their F2

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: emilejuggernaut.1864

emilejuggernaut.1864

What about salamander drake impossible to get it’s f2 off in pvp or a devourer which has the special ability of pulling everything you avoided?

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

monepipi.5160

My lynx can crit for 2k (A move of 2 swipes, 1k ea) already, and I’m not even BM (just 10 points). A dedicated BM build with might stacks and other buffs/debuffs might be very well able to reach that number…

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

Feline pets with 30 BM can hit on their most powerful skills for more than 4k before increase in critical damage or signet buffs. I just watched my jaguar hit a medium armor test golem with a 2 hit attack that did 1.3k and 3.2k with each respective damage packet.

Edit: Pet just crit for 3k+packet of more than 1k on heavy armor with only 5 stacks of vulnerability from opening strikes.

Edit #2: Lynx crit for 2.8k on f2 then about 4k, and also stacked a ton of bleeding in a short time.

(edited by Moderator)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

i think the ones ive used least are cats/porcines… cats because i prefer wolves and their knockdown (plus they seem to take damage better) and porcines because their f2 ability just seems wildly impractical (and bears tank better/wolves KD better – they sit at an uneasy middle ground between the two)

but i dont think theres a ‘worst’, its just preference/playstyle (i mostly use devourers/birds/spiders/wolves)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Jaguar and White Raven in a thread about our worst pets?

Stealth is an aggro dump and guaranteed crits for the duration. The White/Raven F2 is probably the hardest hitting pet skill we have (Lynx might be better) combined with the other general Bird goodness.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

^Lynx has an advantage in that it stacks multiple bleeds on two different attacks on its skillset; when they fix pet condition damage increases it will definitely be more than formidable. Raven f2 hits harder for immediate damage atm. Crits for 2.8k twice on medium armor golem while lynx crits for 1.4k twice and hits with 4 bleed stacks.

Edit: I’m pretty sure I just saw my raven crit for 3.6k twice on medium armor golem with its f2 with signet of the wild active. Will have to try again.

Edit#2: Yup. It crit for 3.6k twice with signet of the wild on medium armor and 3.4k on heavy armor.

(edited by Leuca.5732)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The white raven has the same skills as the raven, but has about half the raven’s vitality. The black widow has the same skills as the jungle spider, but has about half the jungle spider’s vitality.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Psychrome.9281

Psychrome.9281

i will have to say that pigs are the most useless pet, the forage ability is “neat” but in a movement oriented game the pig may drop something for me but i have moved way to far to grab it or what not, id prefer an attack or a buff thats useful…personally i wish i could use my jelly fish on land. the heals it has are awesome and its F2 is just pure beauty

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

monepipi.5160

i will have to say that pigs are the most useless pet, the forage ability is “neat” but in a movement oriented game the pig may drop something for me but i have moved way to far to grab it or what not, id prefer an attack or a buff thats useful…personally i wish i could use my jelly fish on land. the heals it has are awesome and its F2 is just pure beauty

Lol that’ll be funny as hell to watch. LAND JELLYFISH! or they can give as a land octopus and it’ll be like invasion of mini cthulhus

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

Jaguar’s stealth ensures a almost guaranteed crit….its good for burst damage..its actually quite good.

4 second fears and 2 second stun initiations are bad?

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

When it has two cast times, is unpredictable which one you will get, and makes your pet stop fighting for the duration: yes, it’s pretty crap.

Also, jaguar is one of the best DPS pets there is. It’s natural attacks are powerful and bleed as well, it’s natural crit and power are high, plus it comes with an aggro drop+100% crit buff for 6 seconds. Win.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Katostrophe.3274

Katostrophe.3274

The Pigs.

(edited by Moderator)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

Jaguar is far from the worst. Stealth is actually the best cat skill in many situations, since it activates almost instantly and protects your pet.

Pig type pets and moas are fairly poor. Pig F2s are too cumbersome to use well in combat and they have low damage. The moas without buffs for F2s are quite bad as well.

Maid Of The Coast

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: quickthorn.4918

quickthorn.4918

I’m not keen on pigs. I would find the idea of a fat little piggie running around with me amusing if it I ever found the forage useful, but I don’t.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Not counting any of the “special” pets like the White Raven / Black Widow that are bad just because of borked stats, I personally think the entire Moa family is the worst, and of those the White Moa is probably the worst of all.

They seem to attack really slow in general and don’t have the raw power to make up for the slow attack speed, their normal specials are subpar (2 stacks of vulnerability on a longish cooldown and a tiny amount of healing in a very small range? Yay?), and their specials are pretty lackluster. Especially the White Moa, a 1 second chill in a tiny cone when the Alpine Wolf has an AoE chill for 3 seconds? WTF is that?

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Sorin.6713

Sorin.6713

Electro, the Alpine Wolf’s chill is probably better because the casting time is double that of the white moa’s at a painful two seconds.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Aurorablue.5163

Aurorablue.5163

Pigs are the worst ranger pet. I find their Forage ability useless.
Also the only pet type where each different pig have no variation in the f2 skill. They all have forage which is exactly the same as each other.

I like to swap around my pets and pigs are the only pets I never use.

They should of made better variety and have different pigs have different f2’s Such as:
I’d rather the warthog have charge. The pig should have a mud roll ability where they can evade attacks. Maybe even a squeel to stun the enemy.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: RaoZaoku.5289

RaoZaoku.5289

The white raven was probably brought up right now because a bug is making it have ~600 less vitality than the normal raven, which hits for the same damage.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: oOblueberryOo.3042

oOblueberryOo.3042

Also the only pet type where each different pig have no variation in the f2 skill. They all have forage which is exactly the same as each other.

Clearly you have never used porcine pets. Each porcine pet’s forage skill has a chance for different items to pick up. And some of the items are flat out amazing like plazma, which gives every buff in the game for 10 seconds or so, or Rum, which gives invulnerability for 3 seconds. The effects on these items are pretty much broken in how powerful they are, and if they were easy to use in the middle of a fight they definitely would be. For this reason I believe the F2 skills on the porcine pets were meant to be used as initiation skills, you pre-emptively use forage before going into a fight so that you can take a sizeable chunk of their health out in the very beginning.

In reply to the OP, I think any of the pets that involve a cone skill with a long cast time; i.e. moas, and drakes are the worst pets. This combined with the fact that drakes are bugged and don’t actually use all of their pet skills means I’d probably have to say drakes are the worst, or at least the most situational. Although, that lightning on the River Drake is pretty awesome in PVE :)

(edited by oOblueberryOo.3042)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

Pigs are not entirely bad. My experience with them is mainly PvE. The forage ability I find quite useless, true. However, and this is NOT a selling point but occasionally pigs get a charge and a knockdown in. Its saved me more then once. I wish that ability was the F2 more then forage. Forage has a small chance to get items that are situationally useful, but mostly are garbage. The chance to get the nicer items are not high enough in my opinion. But, I would not put them at the VERY bottom.

My vote? Devourers. Don’t take them on missions that require discretion. You will be disappointed every time. 9 times out of 10 they tend to gain more aggro then you wanted to avoid because their burrow ability often puts them precisely where you never want them to be. This is on top of stupid pet AI issues.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Momo.6972

Momo.6972

They should of made better variety and have different pigs have different f2’s Such as:
I’d rather the warthog have charge. The pig should have a mud roll ability where they can evade attacks. Maybe even a squeel to stun the enemy.
The Pigs

Lol that’ll be funny as hell to watch. LAND JELLYFISH! or they can give as a land octopus and it’ll be like invasion of mini cthulhus
^ these posts are exactly right there needs to be land jelly fish in replacement of pigs… all kidding aside a land jelly fish that didnt even move and could be used as a paralyzation MINE would be more useful to me then the pig also i think the idea of pick’n me up a Jelly fish and throwin it down like a trap quite amusing if anyone else would think so as well!

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Panther Chameleon.8465

Panther Chameleon.8465

When it has two cast times, is unpredictable which one you will get, and makes your pet stop fighting for the duration: yes, it’s pretty crap.

Also, jaguar is one of the best DPS pets there is. It’s natural attacks are powerful and bleed as well, it’s natural crit and power are high, plus it comes with an aggro drop+100% crit buff for 6 seconds. Win.

*Initiate means to start. So, if you use the f2 before a fight, then use that ability just before or when ganking someone you’re chances of success do increase quite a bit. And yes, the jaguar is very good.

" I like to let people talk who like to talk. It makes it

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

Never really liked the moa pets or the drakes on land (in water though.The Aoe skills are great!)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

The Pigs

^ these posts are exactly right there needs to be land jelly fish in replacement of pigs… all kidding aside a land jelly fish that didnt even move and could be used as a paralyzation MINE would be more useful to me then the pig also i think the idea of pick’n me up a Jelly fish and throwin it down like a trap quite amusing if anyone else would think so as well!

They could, in the same vein as jellyfish, use breeze riders for pets. They are basically flying land jellyfish(similar models anyway).

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

The drakes, their F2breath skills are almost 90% miss chance. And they don’t turn to face their target before releasing the charge

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Tie between black widow and white raven. Will we see them finally fixed on the 15th? Stay tuned…

Ravens are one of the best pets, idk what you are smoking.

Id say worst pet is the bear or anything related too. Or moas, they really dont serve more than 1 purpose and for pvp that isnt very important. Drakes are pretty bad too.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: drclawizdead.8214

drclawizdead.8214

Id say worst pet is the bear or anything related too. Or moas, they really dont serve more than 1 purpose and for pvp that isnt very important. Drakes are pretty bad too.[/quote]

How are bears bad? They are some of the best tanks and the brown bear removes status conditions?

What’s bad about that?

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I love my pigs. They’re quite hearty and in melee give some awesome items.

Most worthless: Blue Moa (dopey looking too)

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

The Pigs

i will have to say that pigs are the most useless pet, the forage ability is “neat” but in a movement oriented game the pig may drop something for me but i have moved way to far to grab it or what not, id prefer an attack or a buff thats useful

Actually, each porcine pet’s Forage is unique in that it has a different set of items it digs up. Pigs give you healing or invulverability, warthogs give you poison clouds, boar gives you control items, siamoth gives you boons or stealth. Those are all amazing, especially if used in melee. Forage is something different from every other pet & I like it.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: TheHamSandwich.5410

TheHamSandwich.5410

I honestly go for looks when choosing a pet, the build discussions on some of the forums i frequent suggest certain pets, like for example to use the Jungle stalker because of the Might buff, but to be honest i hate the Jungle stalker look, I prefer the Jaguar, though i’m mostly a wolf person. I usually switch between 3-5 pets that i really like, I have never used pigs or Spiders, mainly because pigs are useless and i dislike spiders irl. ;D

Quick Nessie, To the Pickle Farm!

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

Well, I personally think the entire cat family is at the bottom, because of how quickly they go down with low toughness/vitality. They do have some nice F2s though.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

I didn’t realize jaguar stealth had any purpose besides escape. I’ll have to try kitties again. But I’m finding moa ridiculously useful at the moment. Especially since I’m using the two that buff me with their f2 ability, meaning it doesn’t have to be up on a non-moving mob for it to go off.

The ability delays on rangers in general are driving me insane. Mash mash mash mash go off, you stupid skill!

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

All of them

/fifteenwords

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Hyena – Borked stats since the nerf, other Canines are better.
Black Widow – Borked stats, all other spiders are better.
White Raven – Borked stats, all other birds are better.
Drakes – Garbage on land because the F2 just doesn’t work well and in the water Jellyfish do everything better.

Everything else has a use for some builds and/or situational superiority.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: DaisyRogers.6837

DaisyRogers.6837

Only Pets I never seem to want to bring myself to using are Moas. I am heavy Pet specced for my damage and buffing myself really has no use to me.

That and joyfully swooping into flocks of five and six of them and watching my wolf rip them all to shreds does nothing to boost my confidence in actually deploying them myself.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

Hyena – Borked stats since the nerf, other Canines are better.
Black Widow – Borked stats, all other spiders are better.
White Raven – Borked stats, all other birds are better.
Drakes – Garbage on land because the F2 just doesn’t work well and in the water Jellyfish do everything better.

Everything else has a use for some builds and/or situational superiority.

The Hyena is not too bad for PvP considering the F2 ability to call in another. The damage is good while it’s up, you get another knockdown and cripple attack too.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Redrumickey.9672

Redrumickey.9672

A Jellyfish for real?

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

A Jellyfish for real?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this but the Jellyfish is easily the rangers best underwater pet for general PvE.

I run 2 Jellyfish and probably 90% of my damage underwater comes from F2 → swap → F2. Obviously use whatever buffs for your pet you can before the F2, 3-4k+ damage to 5 enemies every 16 seconds (pet swap for F2 reset) is better than anything any other pet puts out. It’s borderline OP honestly but since everything else about rangers underwater is pretty terrible it just balances it out.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Id say worst pet is the bear or anything related too. Or moas, they really dont serve more than 1 purpose and for pvp that isnt very important. Drakes are pretty bad too.

How are bears bad? They are some of the best tanks and the brown bear removes status conditions?

What’s bad about that?

[/quote]

Im speaking in terms of pvp, idc about pve. I heard bears condi removal is bugged. As for them being beast tanks, Im sure they can take a bit of damage but they still die fast, defy pain saves them, once that is down they are just bad, since their damage isnt that great. For pvp I cant see a real use for bears aside from protect me sac. In pve Im sure they have their uses. But it was my list, and I feel they are one of the worst pets.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

A Jellyfish for real?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this but the Jellyfish is easily the rangers best underwater pet for general PvE.

I run 2 Jellyfish and probably 90% of my damage underwater comes from F2 -> swap -> F2. Obviously use whatever buffs for your pet you can before the F2, 3-4k+ damage to 5 enemies every 16 seconds (pet swap for F2 reset) is better than anything any other pet puts out. It’s borderline OP honestly but since everything else about rangers underwater is pretty terrible it just balances it out.

Idk much about jellyfishes, I never really focused on them, but I do know shark is pretty powerful underwater. I pop feeding frenzy and let him tag everyone around him for 10k, but its got a long kitten cd.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Run a few Dungeons, you will see the guy above that said all of them was right, pretty much..

And in PvP they are very poor to use, the fact we cannot stow them permanently is also a ranger killer…

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Pardon me, but aren’t drakes bugged? Apart from basic-autoattack and F2, I haven’t seen them use any of the other abilities.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: KapitanNapleta.2834

KapitanNapleta.2834

jaguar deals ok damage but the f2 ability is a bit of useless, i know it gets like 100% crit chance but once it drops agro the mobs tend to run after you and i think we all know how usefull our pets are against the moving targets lol.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Pardon me, but aren’t drakes bugged? Apart from basic-autoattack and F2, I haven’t seen them use any of the other abilities.

Correct, Drakes don’t use either of their natural specials, only autoattack and F2. Hopefully that gets fixed pretty soon, they’d probably see a decent improvement when they do. More AoE is nice (their basic already has a small melee AoE even though the decription doesn’t mention it, so having an AoE special as well would be great) and healing is always handy.

Mind you, I think most people are complaining not about lack of other specials, but about inaccuracy of F2. Takes forever to breathe in before the actual attack and all enemies have to do is move a bit to the side to dodge it since its a cone and the drakes won’t turn at all after starting the charge up. Thats definately true and in PvP it makes the F2 all but useless unless your opponents just aren’t paying attention, but the F2 is great in PvE where you have control over what enemies do. Keeping enemies in the blast is fairly easy (as long as its not a champion you have to kite constantly to survive against) and the abilities are quite powerful if they hit. Especially the River Drake’s, that thing can completely wipe whole groups of normal enemies, its wonderful.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

jaguar deals ok damage but the f2 ability is a bit of useless, i know it gets like 100% crit chance but once it drops agro the mobs tend to run after you and i think we all know how usefull our pets are against the moving targets lol.

In pve yea a jag can be pretty useless, Id say use a jag in group fights so its less likely to cause to enemy to run at you. Its f2 gives it 25% more damage and 100% crit chance, its pretty nice. If ravens werent so powerful Id use my jag.

Ranger's worst pet

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I hadn’t known that Drakes were bugged! That’s a shame. While the wind-up time for their F2 ability is pretty terrible, I just love the appearance of the drakes in general. On the plus side, they can tank pretty well and (when it’s fixed), their Chomp ability should let them stay in melee for longer.

I keep a Lashtail Devourer as my secondary land pet for when I’m facing enemies that are too dangerous to engage in melee. That’s when me and Vrixx just sit back and pummel them with arrows/barbs while the Warriors and Guardians run in and get smashed. XD